Chapter 38: Brick by Brick

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hoping to get some work down in the University’s library was the plan but now that I had taken my seat with my work spread out across the surface of the table along with textbooks, I lacked the motivation to begin.

It’s hard to focus when various thoughts distracted you.

More specifically, Jiwon’s words continued to repeat over and over again in my head.

My gaze shifts to my phone – he said as soon as I have an answer for him, contact him before adding I could take as long as I needed.  I would be lying if I said there wasn’t a desire to meet up with Jiwon but there were always things that held me back. 

My eyes snap up upon the sound of someone taking a seat across from me. Jinhwan slips off his backpack and settles comfortably. “So, tell me what’s on your mind today?” He placed his hands on the table to offer me his undivided attention.

“He asked me for a date.” I revealed mindlessly.

“And?”

In response, I offer only silence.

“Seon, you still have feelings for him.” Jinhwan pointed out gently. “Just act on them.”

“I can’t handle his lifestyle, Jinhwan.”

He sighs after hearing my reasoning. “Seon, it’s not about that. It’s whether you can support him.”

“How am I supposed to support him getting hurt?”

“It’s something he wants to do  - can’t you support him in doing what he likes to do?” Receiving no response from me, he continued in hopes of getting me to see the situation differently. “Can you see yourself together with him? He has already voiced his stance of wanting to be with you.”

…I had forgotten how it was like being with Jiwon casually. 

***

Jiwon’s attention had been unhealthily on his phone. Every chance he got, he would check for new messages – any indication of Seon reaching out to him.

“I think we should take your phone away.”

“Huh?” His head whipped around at the sound of Hanbin’s voice. “It’ll just be a minute – “ Before he could continue, his phone buzzed in his hand. Seeing the new message, he wasted no time in opening it.

One date.

Jiwon never realized that those simple words could spur such happiness. His lips widened into a grin as he read the two words over and over again.

“What were you waiting for?” Hanbin asked.

Right behind Jiwon, Junhoe read the message over his shoulder. “It says, ‘one date’…that could only mean one thing.” He smiled knowingly, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“Is it from Seon?” Hanbin leaned upon the ropes in anticipation.

Feeling the sudden attention on him, Jiwon cleared his throat and hid his phone away. “My mom.”

Both Hanbin and Junhoe easily saw through his words but allowed it to slide.

“Your mom is home now, right?” Hanbin asked.

The thought makes Jiwon’s smile last. “Yeah. We still have to make hospital visits but she’s home now.” It was nice to finally come home to see her with Chanwoo.

Junhoe wraps his arm around Jiwon’s shoulder. “A date with Seon would certainly make everything even better, wouldn’t it?”

Catching the teasing smile on the boy’s lips, Jiwon shoved him off. “I want to change my sparring partner – Junhoe is free, isn’t he?”

Junhoe froze. “You’re really petty.”

***

Aunt Dara stared up in surprise at the sight of me. “…I thought you would be getting ready for bed by now.”

I slipped my purse on. “I’ll be out for a while.”

She nodded her head. “…It looks like you’ve agreed to meet Jiwon.”

Putting on my shoes at the door, I paused to send her a look. How did she know so well?

Aunt Dara offered a smile. “It’s not that hard to guess.” She answered my silent question.

“…I’ll be back soon.” Closing the door behind me, I head down out of the building. It wasn’t hard to miss the sleek car parked at the curb. Still shiny and still so new. Just as I met the car, the door opened from the inside. Peeking in, I saw Jiwon retracting his hand after reaching across the seat to open it. 

Meeting his eyes, his lips stretched into a faint smile. “Get in.”

Sliding inside and buckling my seatbelt, Jiwon pulled into the street. 

Once arriving at the restaurant, there was one thing out of place.

…Well, I was the thing out of place. “I feel underdress.” I eyed the guests minding their own business at their tables. Just sensing the whole air of the place made me uncomfortable.

Jiwon leaned over, gently patting my back. “You look fine.” He chuckled and I looked up to meet his gaze. 

He had reserved such an expensive place. The hostess led us to our table and we took our places across from one another. I observed the venue, fascinated by the décor and the venue itself. There was a bit of a silence before Jiwon broke it.

“I wanted to use this time to clear the air.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“It’s about my fighting.” He answered and the very topic that has been putting a strain in our relationship. “From what you remember in high school…this fighting is different. There is no more pressure, there are medical personnel in close proximity, and fighters are top priority.”

Jiwon stops and at the same moment, a waiter comes by to take our order. 

Using the time, I thought over his words. But found I didn’t have an answer for him yet. Once the waiter left, I looked up to Jiwon anticipating my response.

“Jiwon…I don’t know what I want.” 

Jiwon’s tongue darts out to his lips. I know he’s impatient or may be frustrated with my response but I wanted to be sure. I didn’t want to say anything half-hearted. 

“You see all of this?” He said softly. “Seon, I can give you this all the time and more.”

Contrary to what he expected, my reaction wasn’t one that demonstrated I took his words kindly. 

It didn’t matter.

I didn’t need anything.

Releasing a long sigh, I spoke my next words gently. “…I think I should go home. I’m sorry you went out of your way for tonight – “

“Seon, wait a minute.”

“But, I don’t think I can sit here a minute longer.” I grabbed my purse and stood to my feet. Before I could hear him say another word, I left the table with him right on my heels. Once exiting and meeting the open air, I felt him hold onto my arm to bring me to stop.

I turned to look at him. His expression showed he had more to say but he pushed it away. “Let me take you home.”

“I can just take the bus – “

“At least let me bring you home.” His hand slid down my arm to hold onto my hand. 

Not bothering to fight it, I allowed him to lead me to his car. Moving to the passenger side, he opened the door for me and closed it after I got inside. He moves around and slides into his seat and started the car. 

Holding my hands in my lap, I didn’t speak a word nor did he. 

My eyes shifted outside the window to find we had arrived at the apartment complex. 

“I’ll walk you in.”

Knowing Jiwon wouldn’t accept any other reply, I simply nodded my head and with him beside me, we headed towards Aunt Dara’s and my apartment. Safety was just right there and once I’m inside the door of my home, I would have time to myself.

But the moment we reached the front door, Jiwon spoke out.

“Seon, can you tell me what I did wrong tonight?”

Turning away from the door, I faced him. “It’s nothing.”

Jiwon steps in and anchors his hand against the barrier. “You can’t go inside if you don’t tell me.”

Increasing the distance between us, I stepped back until the door allowed no other room. “Why does safety always take a backseat with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter