Chapter 14: Customized Experiences

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Seon.”

“Yes?” I looked up from my desk as some girls took their seats around me, cornering my body in. Along with them was the class President. Curiously, I looked at their faces, hoping to find a reason as to why they were here.

One of the girls took the initiative. “…We were wondering if you were getting bullied.”

“Bullied?” That was a word I wasn’t familiar with personally. Seeing how they were waiting for my answer, I shook my head.

“Some students saw Kim Jiwon talking to you.” The class President clarified. “Was he bothering you?”

“Jiwon?” I almost chuckled at their misunderstanding. “Jiwon would never hurt anyone.” Though I spoke confidently and without hesitation, their expressions demonstrated their skepticism. “Really.” I emphasized.

“But, the way he looks…”

“Are you afraid to tell us what is really going on?”

“No.” I rejected the notion. “Jiwon and I are friends.” Maybe this would clear up the mistake. And to be honest, it would probably be me bothering Jiwon. “If you still don’t believe me, ask Jinhwan.” I nodded towards the boy who just entered homeroom. Following his movements, I found him heading towards Jiwon – and my smile fell upon the sight of Jiwon looking in my direction.

Did he hear them?

“Oh, Seon is telling the truth. Jinhwan is talking to Jiwon now.” One of the girls mentions. 

Jiwon tore his gaze away from me and focused on Jinhwan, whom was now standing before his desk.

Looking back to the group in front of me, I offered a quick smile. “There’s nothing to worry about.” 

***

As soon as break began, I hurried after Jiwon as he left the classroom and stopped at his locker. “Jiwon, about earlier – “ He kept his eyes on his task, moving his books in and out of his locker to prepare for the rest of his day. Though he hadn’t said a word, the tension was obvious. “It was a slight misunderstanding.” I attempted to relieve it.

He slammed his locker shut and finally gave me his attention. But, the sight of him staring at me in this manner didn’t make me feel any better. It was as if my presence was nothing but a bother. 

“Leave me alone.” He stated, more calmly than I expected but it was that tone that worried me. “Everything you told me that night – I don’t need it. I don’t need you to worry about me or help me.”

I frowned at his words. “Jiwon – “

“We’re not the same. We’re not similar in any way.” Ending the conversation, Jiwon walked off and left me behind. Allowing the words to sink in only made the overall interaction disappointing. 

Unaware of what had transpired, the students continued shuffling around the hallway, still trying to get to the cafeteria before any more time of their break could be wasted. I stood still in the same position until Jinhwan spotted me. 

“Seon, let’s hurry to the canteen – I have to talk to Jiwon.”

“Jinhwan.” I softly called out and he gave me his full attention. “I don’t think we should sit with Jiwon anymore.”

“Huh? Why?”

In response, I could only sigh. If Jinhwan was here, he would have understood perfectly clear. “Let’s just get to lunch.”

***

What should I do?

I had spent the last half of the day in my thoughts. Schoolwork and the teacher’s lecturing was the last thing on my mind as my eyes fell on Jiwon’s side profile across the classroom. Nothing else crossed my mind even as he got up with all the other students to leave.

“Seon.”

I snapped back and looked up to find Jinhwan at my desk. “Yeah?”

“The last bell just rang.” He notified me. “Did you not hear it?”

I slowly shook my head but nonetheless, started packing up my things. Jinhwan noticed my mindless behavior and just watched me silently from the side. Finally, sorting through all of my jumbling thoughts, a single one seemed to be the solution to the current problem.

I froze in my steps.

“Seon, is there something wrong?”

“Jinhwan, tell me where Jiwon is.” I pulled my backpack around to find something to write on and with. Settling for a small piece of paper ripped from my notebook, I grabbed a pen sitting at the bottom of my bag.

“He’s at his locker right now.” He answered without asking a single question.

I placed the paper onto my knee and started scribbling on it.

“He’s coming this way.” Jinhwan alerted me.

Finishing just in time, I hurried through the students and stopped before Jiwon. Speechless, he could only stare at me in disbelief. Without wasting a single second more and where he would have time to ignore me, I reached for his hand and slipped the folded up notepaper into his palm.

“Just in case.” I vaguely said before turning around and leaving him.

I grabbed Jinhwan’s hand just as I passed and pulled him along. Entering in an area with fewer students, I hid behind the corner and watched Jiwon to see what he was going to do. 

“Seon.” Jinhwan called out.

“I gave him my number.” I answered the possible question he was waiting to ask. “I wanted to leave before he could give the paper back to me.” And a success it was.

“He could just rip it up or throw it away.” 

I straightened up at the news – I didn’t think it through. “He wouldn’t.” I try to convince myself while directing the words at Jinhwan.

“Anyway…why are you doing that?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter