Chapter 41: Our Reflection

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Cheers!”

I watched Jiwon eye the food in front of him – 

“Are you really not allowed to eat it?” I leaned over and whispered quietly. It must be utterly tormenting to be sitting here and with such food within reach. 

Hanbin overhears and chuckles. “We’re here to celebrate the victory – we can’t have our winner not eating.” He encourages Jiwon to eat the food he is generally told to stay away from.

I smiled when I saw Jiwon begin to dig in beside me.

“Jiwon, after today, back to your usual diet.”

“I understand.” Jiwon responds to Mr. Kim with a mouth full of food.

I also start on the meal but soon, my eyes drift to the people present in the restaurant. I keep forgetting about the sort of attention Jiwon and the whole team attracts – 

“We’ll get used to it together.” Jiwon comments when he notices where my eyes were set. “Eventually, we won’t notice it anymore.”

I chuckled. “Why would I have to get used to it?” I brushed off his words and return to my meal.

“Being with me means you’re in the spotlight.”

I looked away from my bowl and up to meet his eyes – instead of expecting it to be said in a joking manner, I found his eyes apologetic. 

“I don’t want it to scare you away.” He adds softly.

“What are you two muttering about over there?” Junhoe blurts from his seat across from us. The young man couldn’t stand being left out.

Jiwon shoots him a look and a grin immediately breaks across Junhoe’s face. The reaction also spurs a smile of amusement from me. 

“I’ll take you home after this.” Jiwon says lastly before we joined the table’s conversation.

***

Saying our goodbyes, we separated from the group once night fell.

I didn’t take no more than a single step before I felt Jiwon gently grasping my hand. Offering him a warm smile, we continued down the quiet road with our fingers intertwined comfortably.

“Are you really okay?” Jiwon’s low voice breaks the silence.

I nod softly. “I’m working on it.” I didn’t think it was easy but wanting to be with Jiwon, I knew I would have to try my best…after all, he was also trying his best.

Jiwon slowly begins once more. “…Over a year ago, when Mr. Kim came to me, I thought I found light at the end of the tunnel.” He reveals. “And I thought, being away for a year wasn’t so bad. I figured that once the year is over, I’ll return and everything will be the same.”

Because, how much can change in a year?

“You were disappointed, weren’t you?” I asked with a chuckle. 

And he joined. “Everything changed.”

I nodded in agreement.

“When we first spoke, there was regret there – I wondered if what I did was the right thing but now that things have turned out like this…” He lifted our intertwined hands. “I became even more grateful for what Mr. Kim did – for my mom, for Chanwoo, and for me.”

“I’m happy to have you back.” I added and in response, Jiwon squeezed my hand. “But, it’s just so strange to hear you reveal things on your own.”

“It’s because I know this is what you like.” 

Not before long, we appear before the apartment complex – the restaurant wasn’t far off it seems.

“This is goodnight – “

“Why don’t we find a place together.”

Jiwon’s sudden announcement rendered me speechless. I stared up at him, not yet able to piece together my thoughts or to fully register the words he had just spoken.

“Well – you know…” Jiwon was trying hard to take back his words but when he realized he couldn’t, he went on bluntly. “…We can find a nice place together and we wouldn’t have to separate like this.”

“Jiwon – “ I chuckled. “Isn’t it a bit too early?”

“No,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter