Chapter 39: Watch Over Jiwon

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Looking around, I observed the neighborhood. “Did you forget something at home?” I asked Jiwon as he parked the car.

“Something like that.” He vaguely answers.

Holding onto the bouquet that Jiwon asked me to put together, we got out of the car and I followed after him into his home. 

Unlocking the door, Jiwon stepped in first before me and slipping off his shoes, I didn’t think much of it as I matched his action. But once the kitchen opened up to me, I finally realized what this was. And strangely, a woman stood at the stove working on the next dish to add to the others already placed neatly on the table, awaiting to be eaten.

“It’s nice to see you again.” She looked over her shoulder to greet me.

“Ms. Jung?” But, I thought she was in the hospital.

“Are those for me?” She eyed the bouquet in my hands.

“This?” I looked down while also trying to make sense of the situation.

“Seon put it together, mom.” Jiwon took it from my hands and offered me a smile. “You said, nothing like last time, right?” 

Yet, I didn’t think he had this in mind.

I leaned over and whispered. “Is your mom alright to be doing that?” 

He chuckled before sliding a seat out for me. “She insisted.” 

Chanwoo soon enters the kitchen and immediately goes to help his mom with the tasks. “Seon, you’re here.” 

In the year that I hadn’t seen him, he had grown. “Where have you been hiding, Chanwoo?”

“There’s still some things you don’t know.” Jiwon answers. “So, we’ll answer it all tonight.”

I soon divert my attention back to his mom. “Ms. Jung, would you like me to help with anything?”

“No, dear. Just stay there.” Grabbing the last of the utensils, she finally comes to take a seat at the dining table along with Chanwoo and Jiwon. “Let me know how it tastes.”

I smiled, it smelled delicious enough. 

“It’s been a while since we last saw each other, hasn’t it, Seon?” Ms. Jung asks as we all got started.

I nodded. “It looks like you’re doing well, Ms. Jung.”

“Mr. Hyoshin is responsible for it all.” She reveals. “Jiwon’s trainer.”

Mr. Kim is once again involved. “I see.”

“Mr. Kim took Chanwoo in while I was gone.” Jiwon reveals. “That’s why you haven’t seen him.”

That certainly clears some matters up. Dinner went on pleasantly as Ms. Jung revealed all sorts of stories about a younger and more childish Jiwon and while also asking me questions – her goal was to learn more about the young woman Jiwon is interested in.

And dinner carried on pleasantly. 

Appearing behind me as I stood at the kitchen sink, Jiwon leaned over my shoulder. “Want to go for a walk after you’re done?”

Finishing the last of the dishes, I nodded. “Sure.” Wiping off my hands, I followed Jiwon to the front door and slipped on my shoes.

“Mom, we’ll be back.” Jiwon stated before hearing a response from the living room. Grabbing hold of my hand, he led me out into the night air. The street was quiet beside our soft footsteps. 

“I liked dinner.” I was the one to break the silence.

The comment earns me a smile from his lips. “I’m glad.”

“If I knew I was going to be handing the bouquet personally to your mom, I would have done a better job.” I stated.

“She likes it.” He comforted me.

Content with his answer, I breathed out. “I forgot to ask – why is it always hydrangeas?”

Jiwon thought about what to say. “When I was younger, I read its meaning.” He openly revealed. “And maybe because I was young and naïve but I was desperate, hoping my mom would get better.”

“So, what does it mean?”

“Perseverance.” He answers. “I didn’t want her giving up even if the illness gets tough and ever since then, I have always brought those flowers and my mom grew to adore them.”

His response encourages a smile to appear on my lips. How endearing. 

“Seon.” Jiwon suddenly calls and I offer him my attention. “I ran into your dad.”

The mentions bring back the memories of our conversation the other day. “What did he say?”

“He asked for money – I didn’t want to hide this from you.” Jiwon states, clearly knowing how this was a sensitive topic – anything involving my father is sensitive.

“I’m sorry that you have to deal with that.” I apologized while full of shame that my dad would seek him out with that motive in mind.

“Don’t worry.” He warmly squeezed my hand. “Mr. Kim handled it.”

“How can you be so sure?” I knew fully well how stubborn and persistent my dad was. 

“I trust that he did.” Jiwon responds. “And you should to. Try not to run into him, okay?”

I nodded my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter