Chapter 1: There's Something About Jiwon

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was innocent. How it all began.

It started with me subtly noticing a few fading ones on his face. Then the next day, I’ll notice a few more that traveled up and down his arms.

Out of all the marks I’ve seen on him, the ones that stood out to me the most was the bruising around his sharp knuckles on both of his rough hands. And they only encouraged my curiosity. I wasn’t purposefully paying attention to him, but seeing it all made me wonder somewhat.

But then again, there was no mystery as to where he was getting the marks from.

It was real obvious that they came from fights. Rough and terrible fights.

He was probably involved with bad people, part of a gang, or maybe there was an innocent reason to explain why his body was always littered with bruises.

No one really knows for certain though. It wasn’t like people knew whom he hanged out with or who his acquaintances and friends were. They didn’t know anything about him. Just like me, they only knew of his name.

Kim Jiwon.

The boy was usually seen by himself. It appeared Jiwon liked being by himself. Headphones always on to block out the daily noises of life.

And at the same time, not many wanted to be associated with him. No one bothered him or with him. Probably out of fear or simply avoidance.

But, I can’t be the only one curious, right? Like when school ended, no one wondered where he goes? Or what he was getting himself involved with? Or how or where he was getting those bruises and cuts from? It was understandable for students to stay far away from him but what about the teachers? What if this boy was living in an unsafe home? What if he was going home to abusive parents or if he had run into some type of trouble? I thought it was normal for teachers to somehow step in and offer help if he needed it.

It was only curiosity. The life the boy had peaked my curiosity. Surely, I didn’t want to get involved with him. I just wanted to know. That was innocent enough.

He was fairly good-looking. If the situation were different – if he was a top student or if he was out-going, I’m sure he would have been popular with both boys and girls. But, that wasn’t the case. Instead, he appeared anti-social, withdrawn, and just quiet. Didn’t he get tired of it all? Being by himself?

His eyes never held the curiosity that was in mine. They were always hidden, facing the ground, on the class backboard, or out the window, never in anyone’s direction.

It was only once. It happened only once while I was walking down the hall. My eyes naturally drifted towards the boy leaning his back against the wall on the side. Everyone was doing their own thing and worrying about their own business. Some hurrying into homeroom, others were busy socializing with their fellow classmates before classes officially began. He had those red earphones on, like he always did – he didn’t outwardly show that he enjoyed the music but the relaxed look on his face said otherwise while his eyes remained down casted; it was how I always found them to be.

My friend was right beside me – he was going on about something that I simply tuned out when Jiwon caught my attention again.

As I was beginning to walk by him, that’s when he looked up and for a second, our eyes met. And before I could pass him entirely, he looked away before I could do so.

That only happened once.

And the image of his eyes focused on me would replay in my mind. There was something about it that made wonder continuously because I didn’t know what it was that was behind the look in his eyes. I couldn’t quite put my finger on what they may be hiding.

All I knew of them was that, they were lovely.

***

It was strange. This whole thing that I began obsessing over. It was certainly none of my business but I couldn’t help it. Jiwon’s eyes were focused out the window, while mine were concentrated on him – more specifically, the round bruise on the side of his cheek. And like I predicted, there were darker ones that lined his knuckles.

Soon, the sound of the bell ringing interrupted my thoughts. The students within the classroom get up from their seats, preparing to head to lunch.

“It’s getting real obvious.” Jinhwan walked over and stood beside my desk. He had already gathered his things and now waiting for me so we can head into the canteen together.

“What is?” I begin to place my books inside my backpack.

“You were staring.” Jinhwan didn’t beat around the bush. “He’ll catch you one of these days and you’ll be embarrassed.”

“He won’t ever catch me.” Not because I’m sly about it or that I’ll be careful – but simply because he won’t ever look in my direction. Jiwon was known to not pay attention to anybody. My classmates were convinced that if they didn’t bother him, he wouldn’t bother them. But to be honest, I don’t think he cared to do such a thing.

So, they were worrying over nothing.

Jinhwan hummed a response and his eyes followed after Jiwon, who had just walked out the door of the classroom. “Are you interested?”

I chuckled softly at his reasoning.

He stared at me, not knowing why I was laughing at his words. “Isn’t that why you’re always staring?”

I didn’t blame the conclusion. I can see why he wondered. “I’m just curious, that’s all.”

“Good.” Jinhwan quickly retorted. “He’s no good.”

I didn’t blame him for saying that either. My life was always filled with trouble and Jinhwan found himself assuming the role of my protector. No matter what the problem, he always dealt with it.

“You don’t know that.” I denied and stood up from my seat. We walked beside each other out the door and down the hallway.

“You’re telling me those bruises and cuts are from play dates?” Jinhwan sarcastically inquired.

“His friends probably play a little too rough.” I answered with amusement. It was a reasonable explanation.

“Sure, gangs aren’t violent o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter