New Alpha

Wolf's Game [Frost Moon Cycle #1]

'What do you mean?' I wanted to shout out loud but my words came out in a whisper that i could even barely hear. He gave me a shrug and turned back to mind his business, 'Well, your brother made it official just now. Didn't you see it?' I stared at his back blankly as i  pressed my lips tight and storm out the door, making a loud bang sound behind me. My heartbeat raced and the blood in my veins rushed though my body fiercely as i stomped to the logwood house.

I opened the door hardly and went into the warm space that was filled with the smell of freshly baked bread. I saw In Guk sittng at the fire place with his back facing me, i stomped on the floor hardly and went to his side. 'Give Hongbin back his rank.' I glared at him angrily while he was just sitting there in deep thought not even bothering to look at me. 'Sit down and we will talk.' He said calmly gesturing at the leather couch by his side, i let out a sigh and sat on the couch.

'Why did you do that?' I asked him with a flat tone, he put his hand to his lips and i saw a frown formed on his forehead. 'Didn't you see that he was aggressive?' I was caught in my words because it was true that he was quite out of it these days 'But you still can't do that! He was beaten up because he was an omega this morning.' I raised my tone to make my point straight 'I will restore his rank so don't worry and..' he slide his hand to his forehead and squeezed out his last sentence. 'We have to find you a mate.'

My eyes widened and my head spinning, of all times why now? 'N..no! Wh.. i mean are you insane? Why would you.. i thought you said you'll wait until i am 25!' I stuttered and stammered at my words trying to stay conscious after hearing the bad news. 'Yura, sometimes things don't go as planned so im making this tough decision for your sake so please.. don't disagree with me.' He finally look at me, his eyes filled with sorrow and troubles, I’m sure he was having a hard time too but i can't accept it now.

I stood up and ran out of the house towards the woods. Running to my secret place and to my secret friends, hoping to meet them once I’m there. I fall onto the ground gasping and panting for air after the long and exhausting run. I crunched the leaves in my palms and lie on the ground filled with them, i watched the clear water in the river flowing through bringing along some sticks and leaves. 'Something in your mind?'

I heard the soft high pitch voice rang behind me and a feeling of relief came to me immediately. I raised my head and saw Leo’s hand infront of me, I took his hand and stood up. He stare at me with his rare smile on his lips and gave me a hug, patting  my head softly as he whispered to me ‘Its alright. You can tell me.’. I closed my eyes and let his scent roam into my senses, the smell of pine and the cool smell of the breeze freed me from my troubles.

We sat by the river with our backs leaning against a big willow tree that had been there since I was born. I wrapped my hands around his waist and leaned by his side ‘So what’s your trouble?’ I look up at him and said ‘Hongbin’s injured and he’s lost his rank for the time being and..’ he look at me and I look away immediately avoiding his anxious gaze ‘and.. i..i’m..’

He lifted my chin and look into my eyes warmly ‘Tell me.’ I melted for his warm gaze and soft whispers, I took up the courage and told him the news ‘I’m going to get a mate.’ I saw his eyes widened a little but he recovered into his expressionless emotion immediately ‘Do I have a chance?’ he asked with an extremely soft whisper.

I gave him a shrug and look out to the glittering river, his grip on my arm tightened and he wrapped his arms around me tightly. He landed a kiss on my head and gave me a heart warming hug ‘Don’t worry, I’ll always be there for you.’

Leo:

I drag my legs on the bumpy and wet ground thinking about Yura's problem. I’m going to lose my beloved girl that I had kept in my heart silently for years to a stranger that she and I have never met before. Awful.

I’m finally back to the pack after the long and lonely walk before meeting the alpha, Tao and his ‘best’ helper, D.O. ‘Oh, Leo I’ve been waiting for you.’ He came to my side with a wide smile on his face and put his hand over my shoulder something he only does when he needs something from me.

‘Say. What do you want?’ I give him an annoyed look and he pulled me closer to him. ‘You see.... our pack is filled with everything but there is something that we don’t have. Can you guess what it is?’ I glared at him ‘Women?’ he clapped his hands together and the whole pack fell silent looking at us cautiously ‘That’s right!’ I crossed my arms over my chest and closed my eyes ‘What do you want?’.

Talking about Tao. He was half N and my brother, he was our one and only little brother that is related to us in blood so we tend to give this spoilt brad everything he wants. Especially N, he was the eldest and he loved us as much as our parents do. But because of Tao’s stupid wish, he left a sin in his heart that will never leave him until the day he dies.

He came to my front and give me those puppy eyes that an alpha should never do. ‘I found out that you’ve met a girl out there.’ He pointed his index finger to the woods and a smirk came to his face, I stared at him with a frown on my forehead. ‘I don’t know what you’re saying.’ I look away, thinking hard to find an excuse to deny him as he took a step closer. He ducked his head to my neck and continued ‘Mmm... I can smell her scent on you. Spill the beans, hyung.’ he look at me with an arrogant expression ‘Hey, what are you guys talking about?’ I look to my right and saw N walking towards us with a broad smile on his face. When he scanned our expressions, his smile dropped. ‘So...what is it?’ he looked from me to Tao and vice versa.

Under the setting sun, we were having a stare down at the middle of the pack that is observing our expressions anxiously waiting for a fight to break off. ‘I’m just asking if hyung can introduce me to his friend but seems like he’s not happy with it. What about this, why don’t N hyung introduce her to us?’ he gave a smirk to N and I saw N’s eyes widened ‘M..me?’ ‘Yup, I know you’re the best hyung..’

Tao put his arm around N’s shoulder and tried to convince him but N ignored him ‘Its between you two, don’t pull me in this stuff. You know what I did for you, Tao.’ He said to Tao with a flat tone and swing his hand off his shoulder. Tao let out a sigh and turned towards me again ‘So that means you’re doing it. Bring her tomorrow, I’ll be waiting.’

I cursed at him silently and tell myself that it’s never going to happen because I know what this useless brad can do and I will never give my love away to this useless wolf. I’m going on for a challenge.

‘No way.’ He stopped in his tracks and turned to glare at me, I glared at him with my eyes staring straight into his. He let out a curse and thought for awhile ‘Since you’re not bringing her, I will get her myself.’ I grabbed him by the collar and held out my fist but I stopped midway thinking about the rankings again.

He scoffed and pulled my hand off him ‘Be nice, Leo.’ I bit my lip and brought out the words that I had been holding in for a long time ‘Let’s do a bet. If I win you in a fight, you’re no longer an alpha and you have to leave the pack.’ ‘Leo!’ I felt N grab my arm but I pushed him away ‘He needs to learn N.’ N look at Tao with a worried expression because he was sad that his baby brother is leaving his side, I’m confident in this bet because I know that he’s not good in fighting and in fact everything except for demanding things from N.

‘And what if I win?’ he look at me with interest ‘You take the girl.’ I said it with an aching feeling to my heart for putting Yura in a bet between me and my useless brother.

We changed into wolves and the battle begins, we circled each other growling and snarling. The hunger to rip flesh and taste blood kicked in, I eyed the liver coat wolf before me viciously thinking that he is not my brother but just a competitor, a competitor that will never be seen in the pack anymore. We jumped at each other at the same time and aimed for each other’s throat, with Yura in my mind, I’m going to do anything I can to protect her even if it means to make my brother into an outcast.

Yura:

I drew circles on my bed with my fingers going round, round and round. I let out another sigh when Jamie came in my room and jumped on my bed, bouncing the springs in the bed he asked me ‘What are you thinking Yura?’ he look at me with those adorable blue eyes that are as clear as crystals. I ruffled his hair and smile at him ‘You’re going to get an uncle, Mr Jamie.’

His smile dropped from his face and he frowned at me ‘What uncle? I don’t want an uncle.’ I let out another sigh and I pat his head ‘It’s not up to us to decide kiddo. Remember to treat your sister nicely and let her make her own decisions next  time, got it?’

He pushed my hand away and give me a big wide smile ‘Of course! Although we quarrel every day, we still love each other a lot.’ I pinched his face and he struggled to get my hands off his face making it fun to watch, so I kept on attacking him until the two of us ended up laughing with our arms wrapped around our bellys.

Suddenly, a ring of howls rang through the room. We sat up straight and stared at the window attentively. I perked my ears to hear the message carefully trying to make sure that I was hearing the right things ‘Yura, what are they howling?’ Jamie looked at me confusedly and I looked at him with a frown on my forehead ‘It looks like...a wolf had left the pack and the alpha had been replaced. Jamie, should I go or should I not?’ he look at me with his eyes wide open  ‘What do you mean you should go or not?’

I grabbed his shoulders and stared at him ‘Yes or no.’ he looked away hesitating for the answer ‘Yes!’ he said loudly after a few seconds of hesitation, I got up immediately and rushed out the door ‘Hey! Where are you going?’ I heard Jamie asking me from the room but I ignored him and went to the front door, running back to the woods again.

N:

I turned away when I saw my two brothers fighting each other, it was just cruel and painful. I stared out to the beautiful river when I heard the howls from the pack, I was a little heartbroken. I knew Tao would get into trouble sooner or later because Leo won’t stand him a chance at all if it wasn’t me that always kept him at bay.

I rested my chin on my knees and drawed on the soil with a stick I found beside me. I let out a sigh and heard footsteps walking towards my direction, I look up and I saw that familiar girl standing in front of me. I stood up and gave her a bright smile, swiping all the sadness I had on my face, I pulled her in for a hug.

She had a worried expression on her face so I quickly tell her the news she had came for ‘Guess what! Leo became an alpha!’ I make myself sound as bubbly as I can and took her hands jumping around with her. I stopped and look at her gleefully, she stared at me ‘Why?’. I look at her with my eyebrow perked up and I gave her a shrug ‘Well..the previous alpha was a loser so..that’s it.’ She nodded thoughtfully and I gave her another big wide smile ‘Why are you so happy?’ she examined my face closely ‘Because Leo is going to be busy now and I can spend more time with you, alone.’

I gave her a thoughtful stare waiting for her response anxiously and she gave me just the right response I was anticipating. A shy smile and a small little nod that makes my heart flutter. I held her hands in mine and stared at her earnestly ‘Yura, I can finally make you look at me a little more.’ I lifted her chin and put one arm around her shoulder bringing her closer to me, I gave her my first kiss.