Ceremony

Wolf's Game [Frost Moon Cycle #1]

Leo held me tightly in his arms as I sobbed on his shoulder. Three more days and it is the ceremony, which means everything will be gone by today. 'Le..sniff..Leo..' I closed my eyes tightly and felt my heart bleed from inside, my throat felt like it was burning. 'I..I..don't want to lose..sniff..you' he kissed my head and cooed in my ear 'It's going to be alright honey. You wont lose me and so won't I.' He lifted my chin and stared at me with his solemn eyes, tears glistened them as they glowed under the sunlight. He leaned in and our lips met, I hugged myself closer to him and his hands came down to my hips. His hands gripped me tightly and pulled me against him, his thumbs moving softly on me as he locked our lips together.

I pulled away with tears streaming down my cheeks. His hand came up to my face and held me there, I gasped and whined when he bit my lips too hard for me to endure. The longer we were together the harder it is for us to be apart. 'I want to own you, Yura. You're mine! You're supposed to be!' He glared at me, but I could do nothing but sigh. 'Please don't be like that Leo, forget me.' 'Never in eternity.' He embraced me tightly as we stood under the tall pine tree. Before we know it, the sun was already half way down the mountains. A loud howl soared through the sky and my time is up. Leo held onto me more tighter when the howl rang through the pink sky.

'No..not so fast.' His body trembled against mine as he whispered those words to me, his voice shaking a little. 'Leo, I have to go now. Please, forget me.' I struggled inside his iron arms for a while before he let me go. 'Yura, is there no..' I put my index finger to his lips and gave him the best smile I can muster before going back to the pack. Tears ran down my cheeks as Leo's agonized face replayed in my mind for countless of times. 

*********

10 minutes before the ceremony

I stared at the dark wooden floor of my room as Sojin unlocked the collar around my neck. Click. 'Done!' Sojin said after she struggled with the lock for a couple of minutes. She came to my front and held my hands in her warm ones, squeezing it softly. 'It's going to be fine sweetheart.' I turned my gaze towards her and give her a nod with my tired eyes. 'Don't worry, if you need anything just call me or your brother ok?' She smiled and frowned at me as tears formed in her eyes again. 'Don't cry..' I touched her cheeks and she pulled me into her arms 'I love you baby..'  then she started crying again.

The sky became a twilight blue when we stepped out of the house. Sojin squeezed my hand tightly and lifted her head towards the sky. 'Its time.' I turned my gaze towards the moon and see it glow brightly in the dark sky, round and full. A full moon. Sojin dragged me into the forest as I dragged my bare feets in the damp soil. My white knee length gown flowing along with the cold breeze, caressing and brushing the thin cloth gently. The scents of countless wolves filled my nose when I neared my 'end'. 

*********

I groaned and opened my eyes. There was no light and plain darkness as I lifted my hand to touch the silky black cloth around my eyes. Do they do this in the ceremony too? I felt a sharp object poke my neck when I rolled over to feel my surroundings, my fingers traced along the sharp beads and the smooth stone at the middle of the necklace. I sighed and heard a soft growl beside me. My body tensed as I frowned at the sound of the growl. Soon, the growls increased. And as they got nearer, I could feel their hot breaths hitting my body. 

My heartbeat started to rise as the uneasiness of being blinded in the middle of a pack of wolves surged me. I struggled to lift myself but my body felt paralyzed. Tears started to prickle my eyes until a loud thump falled beside me. I gasped and felt a wolf growled in front of me, he was so close I could feel his bristling fur against my body. He snapped, and I let out a soft yelp, my body trembling from this awful nightmare. Then, the wolves started to snarl and snap at us. 

He leaned in and sniffed me before parting his jaws beside my neck, marking me with his overpowering scent. His sharp fangs gliding across my skin gently, not making even the slightest scratch. I struggled to stay calm under him as he continued to cover me with his scent that will last with me forever and ever. After a petrifying 10 minutes, he lifted his head and howled towards the air, leading the other wolves to continue his serenade. I took in a deep breath and felt a pair of hands lifted me from the cold stone, taking me away from the howling wolves. When we're finally out of the commotion. My heart felt like a stone had been lifted away from it.

I snuggled my head closer to the chest beside me and inhaled the scent that was mixed with mine carefully. I felt attached to whoever it was that had marked me, I felt the need to love this scent and never let it leave my body even if I had to die for it. It must be the bond between me and him that made me feel this way, but after the ceremony, I'm hell tired. Inside the arms of my carrier, I fell into deep sleep.