Heartbreak

Love Entanglement

35

Chanyeol visited Jaemi’s father once or twice a week behind Jaemi’s back.

He always went at the wrong timing because Jaemi’s father would always be asleep and he would not be able to get an answer from him.

 

 

As usual, Chanyeol head down to the hospital to visit Jaemi’s father. He brought fruits and his homework to the hospital.

He peeled the oranges and cut the apples into slices before placing them on a plate.

Then, he would take out his studying materials and study for two hours.

 

Jaemi’s father started coughing and stirred awake.

Chanyeol quickly helped him to sit up and served him a cup of water. “Hello,” he said, bowing.

Jaemi’s father received it weakly and slow drank his water. He placed the cup down and coughed. “Thank you, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol. “You know my name?”

“I even know you’re dating my daughter, Jaemi.” He said.

Chanyeol bit back a smile.

There was silence before Jaemi's father spoke again. He sighed. “Chanyeol, come here.”

Chanyeol moved closer to the bedside.

Jaemi’s father weakly grabbed Chanyeol’s hand, which startled him. “Chanyeol, please leave Jaemi. I beg you,” he said with pleading eyes as he coughed.

Chanyeol froze.

“I don't have much time left. failed my duty as a father, and I’m trying my best to compensate. I can’t let anything happen to Jaemi, I don’t want to see my daughter in misery when you two break up.” He coughed and closed his eyes, before opening them again. “You’re a good person, I know. But you can’t give any happiness to Jaemi at such a young age. And I think, Jaemi deserves someone better. I’m sorry Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol stared at him in shock. He gulped and took in a deep breath. Jaemi’s father was trying to break the both of them up, and he found himself in his shoes. He understood his intentions.

He slowly placed his hand on Jaemi’s father and nodded. “I, I understand.”

It then dawned upon him; Jaemi’s father wasn’t trailing him. He was trailing his daughter. He was trying to protect his daughter from any harm. He loves Jaemi, a lot.

“Will you, leave Jaemi alone?” he asked. Chanyeol his lips. He could feel his heartbeat pounding out of his chest so fast that he was about to breakdown. He slowly nodded his head. “I .. I will, don’t worry.”

 

 

 

The next morning, Jaemi woke up with a hot chocolate at her doorstep.

She picked up the cup and turned it around. Good morning Jaemi. :)

She chuckled and immediately sent a text message to Chanyeol. Good morning! And thanks for the hot chocolate ><

Chanyeol smiled and locked his phone. But somehow, a tinge of him prevented him from smiling.

You’re a good person, I know. But you can’t give any happiness to Jaemi at such a young age. And I think, Jaemi deserves someone better.

His heart ached whenever he thought of that. But as for now, he just wanted Jaemi to be happy.

 

Jaemi linked hands with Chanyeol when she saw him and kissed his cheek. “Let’s go to school together.” She smiled, suggesting.

He smiled and walked together with her.

“How did you know I will be the one receiving the drink and not Eunmi?” she asked, sipping on her hot chocolate. Chanyeol smirked. “You’re always the first one to wake up the earliest. How can I not know my girlfriend’s daily routine, huh?” Chanyeol answered wittily which earned the chuckle of Jaemi.

She nodded. “Do you want a kiss as a reward?” she asked and he immediately nodded. “I’m having a test later. Getting quite nervous.”

She stopped in her tracks and placed the cup down. Then, she cupped his face and leaned in for a short but sweet kiss. “Do you feel better now?” she whispered.

Chanyeol looked at her dreamily and nodded. “Much better.”

Jaemi giggled and pulled him along. “Snap out of it, Park Chanyeol. Let’s go.”

He followed her to the class before parting ways.

 

 

When school ended, Chanyeol promised to meet Jaemi at the canteen. But as he waited, the hospital called. “Hello, this is calling from Gangnam Hospital. Can you please come to the hospital as soon as possible to see your relative, patient Park Bamsoo for the last time? He wants to see you, and another girl, called Park Jaemi.”

 

 

Chanyeol placed the phone down and took in a deep breath shakily. He looked down at the floor, gulping.

“Chanyeol!” Jaemi surprised him from the front as she laughed at his expression. “What’s wrong? You look so dazed.”

Chanyeol grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. “Jaemi, we have to go to the hospital.”

Her expression changed. “W-why?”

“Your father, he’s not going to make it,” Chanyeol said solemnly.

 

 

 

When they reached the hospital, Chanyeol led Jaemi into the room. Her eyes became dazed and unfocused. She turned to look at Chanyeol.

“Go,” he whispered softly and soothingly.

He stood outside of the room, looking at the daughter and the father.

 

Jaemi slowly turned the doorknob and entered. She clenched her fists tightly and slowly approached her father.

Bamsoo coughed weakly and painfully as he tried gasping for air.

His face was so white, evident eye bags could be seen under his eyes, his face were just bones and his cheeks sunk in. He looked so haggard.

Bamsoo slowly looked at Jaemi. His eyebrows were raised in surprise and Jaemi could see a tinge of happiness in his eyes.

He forced out a weak smile. “J-Jaemi.”

Jaemi was ready to lash out at him. But as she looked at her own father who was bedridden, she couldn't bear to inflict any more pain on him. She bit her lip. “Hello."

Her father smiled and slowly nodded his head. “You’ve grown so much. You’ve grown prettier.”

She wanted to say, “Yeah of course. No one made a ruckus in the house, I had a great sister and a great mother who took care of me especially well. Life was good and of course I will look good.”

But she didn’t. She knew that was out of spite. She nodded her head.

Bamsoo weakly held his hand out. “Jaemi, I’m sorry for everything. I’m sorry, for letting you down. I’m sorry for breaking the family. I’m.. I'm sorry for not being a good father, a good husband. I deserve all this.” He croaked. Tears started trickling down as he croaked even more, trying to calm down but the guilt in him had to be said.

She looked at his hand stretched out, she hesitated to touch his hand. Bamsoo followed her gaze and knew she was still angry at him.

He slowly placed his hand down. “It’s karma. I left our family for a woman. That woman, she.. she left me for another man. It’s karma,” he croaked once more and gasped for air as he became agitated.

Then, Jaemi started to cry. She looked at her own father who was crying. She had never seen her father cry, until now, and it broke her heart. After all blood is thicker than water. Deep down in her heart she could feel it ache. He's her kin, how could it not hurt?

She cried silently, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath to stop the tears.

He took in a deep breath and looked at Jaemi for the last time. “Help me say thank you to Chanyeol. He’s a good man.” His eyes travelled to Chanyeol and smiled at him.

Jaemi bit her lip and sniffed, tears still streaming down. She can’t control it. Her eyes and nose were already red. She used her sleeve to wipe away her tears and took in a deep breath shakily. She nodded her head. “I-I wi-will. Rest well,” she said, patting his hand and held his hand.

It was just like how in the past Jaemi would reach out her small tiny hand to her father, walking down the streets with him when she was a toddler.

 

He looked at her and smiled once more. A peaceful smile.

She finally let go of his hand and walked away.

Then, she ran.

Chanyeol could hardly catch up with her. Once Jaemi was at the hospital’s garden, she stopped in her tracks, catching her breath.

Chanyeol stood behind her silently.

 

He received a call from the hospital and he closed his eyes. He nodded his head and thanked the person before hanging up.

Chanyeol slowly walked towards her. “Jaemi. The hospital just called. Your father, has just passed away.”

Jaemi closed her eyes and released her tears. “He’s gone..”

The sky started to turn dark and thunder roared. In a few minutes, rain started to pour. Chanyeol quickly went to seek shelter.

 

He came back with an umbrella, sheltering both him and Jaemi.

“Don’t catch a cold. I don’t want to see you fall sick.”

Jaemi stepped out of the shelter and looked up at the sky. The raindrops fell on her face, mixed together with her tears before falling onto the ground.

“I want the rain to wake me up. I want to wake up. Why was I so hateful to my own father? Why did I harbour so much hatred towards him? Why?!” she shouted.

She softened. “Suddenly, I don’t remember anything bad he has done,” she whispered, croaking.

“I only remember those good memories, when he would spend money on ice cream when I was young, just small things, made me happy. But it will just be memories. I’ll never see him again,” her voice broke and she cried. “I said that I wanted him dead, I wanted him to pay for everything, I wanted him to get terminal illness but I didn’t mean it! I didn’t mean it! I didn’t want him to die!” she cried and covered her face. “I didn’t want that to happen, and even at his deathbed just now, I .. I just comforted him as a stranger and not a daughter, and now, he’s dead, he will never ever see me and I will never ever see him again,” she sobbed.

 

Chanyeol dropped the umbrella and stood in the rain together with her.

Chanyeol stood together with her, putting his arm around her shoulder and looked up at the sky. “Wh-what are you doing?” she asked.

“Accompanying you. That’s the only thing I can do for you; always be with you.”

“Chanyeol..”

“We do things together. We smile together, cry together, laugh together, catch a cold together, fall sick together, and get drenched together.” He looked down at her. “Okay?”

Jaemi broke into a smile wiped her tears. “Thank you, Chanyeol.”

He slowly wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes. “I have never experienced such a feeling with other girls before. You’re the first, who made me feel and act like a real man; to protect and take care of my girl.”

-----


I know it's been a few months since I last updated. I know I've been MIA and it was the first time I shut myself off from AFF for such a long period of time. Please know that I have my own life, and I'll try to update whenever I'm free. As for now, :D