Gift

Love Entanglement

16

Jaemi walked around the store, linking arms with Eunmi as they looked around. “Eunmi ah, are you done looking for a gift for your brother?” she asked, looking at the sunglasses and the ties.

 

“I don’t even know what to give him. You know, after I’ve moved into boarding school I hardly see him and I don’t even know how much he grew. His birthday is coming and I really want to buy him a present,” she sighed.

Eunmi snapped her fingers. “I can buy him boxers!” she exclaimed while Jaemi blinked. “Boxers? You mean boxer shorts? For a birthday gift?” she shrieked.

Eunmi waved it away and went to the undergarments section. “Come on, we’re siblings and he’s twenty. My childish brother finally grew, why can’t he be open minded and just accept my gift?” she wondered. She took a box, then gave it to the cashier.

 

Jaemi sighed and walked around. Biting her lip, she thought of Chanyeol. Maybe he was right. Maybe she shouldn’t even judge him and maybe she really didn’t understand him well enough.

She pressed her lips into a firm line and grabbed a blue tie, then gave it to the cashier. “Wrap the gift,” she said to the cashier and Eunmi nodded. “Wrap mine too please.”

They stepped out of the store. Jaemi took out the gift for Chanyeol and kept it in her bag. “I’m meeting Chanyeol later, you can go back to the dormitory later,” she said.

 

 

Jaemi pressed the doorbell. Within a second, Chanyeol opened the door. “Welcome!” he said excitedly and Jaemi smiled. “Where’s Baekhyun?” she asked casually. “He went to the gym.”

She nodded and rummaged through her bag, taking out the box that was wrapped in gift wrapper as she shoved it into Chanyeol’s chest. “Here, for you,” she said.

Chanyeol grabbed the gift and grinned excitedly. “For me? Really?”

 

Jaemi nodded and scratched her neck. “Uhh, the gift is for thanking you to help Dasul for the past few weeks, and also to.. say sorry for misunderstanding you,” she mumbled the last sentence while Chanyeol leaned towards her. “What did you say?”

“It’s to thank you. And also apologizing for being biased against you,” she snapped and sat on the sofa.

Chanyeol grinned mischievously and quickly tore the wrapping paper, revealing a black box. He plopped himself beside Jaemi and opened the box.

His eyes widened in surprise and he looked at Jaemi, who was scratching her neck shyly. “Hope you like it, if it doesn’t fit you can change the size.”

“Jaemi, I didn’t know you were this aggressive..” he whispered as he lifted the boxers up to her eye level.

“Hmm?” she asked and turned as her eyes widened in surprise. “What happened? It’s supposed to be a tie!”

He squinted his eyes at her and she immediately reached out for the boxers.

Chanyeol quickly placed it behind him and smirked. “This is the first gift you gave to me and I feel so shy,” he said, giggling.

Jaemi frowned and shook her head. “This is a big misunderstanding Park Chanyeol. This was supposed to be for Eunmi’s brother. Eunmi took your gift,” she explained.

“Yeah right, who would give their big brother boxers as a gift. And.” Chanyeol scooted closer to her while she scooted away from him. “You’ve seen my size before, this size is too big for me,” he whispered and cooed.

“Stop spouting nonsense Park Chanyeol!”

“I’m talking about my waistline!” Chanyeol replied and he grinned mischievously at her. “Did you think it was my..” his voice trailed off as he giggled and bit his lip shyly. “Oh my god my cheeks are red,” he giggled and covered his mouth shyly while Jaemi glared at him.

“My whole entire face is red and fire is in my ears!” she screamed.

 

Just then, she answered a call. “Hello?”

“Jaemi! You took the wrong gift! Your tie is with me now!”

Jaemi sighed and rolled her eyes. “I know!”

Eunmi’s eyes widened in surprise. “Don’t tell me, you’ve given it to him.”

“What do you think?” Jaemi asked and shot Chanyeol a look who was giggling to himself, biting his lip as he cooed Jaemi’s name. “Jaemi-ah,” he cooed. “Next time, don’t buy me boxers, I prefers briefs,” he said seductively.

She quickly hung up. “I said I made a mistake! How can I even give you underwear?” she said, exasperated while he shrugged innocently. “How would I know,” he said and broke into a smile again, giggling to himself.

Jaemi shot him a look and shook her head. “I really can’t be nice to you Jerkyeol,” she muttered under her breath. She grabbed a pillow and placed it on her lap, frowning.

Chanyeol scooted even closer to her till the edge of the sofa and he bit his lip. “But you’re already nice towards me,” he whispered into her ear and she shuddered.

Chanyeol chuckled.

“In return, do you want to me to give you a kiss like I did to you at the back alley for five minutes?” he whispered.

Her eyes rounded in surprise and she gulped, her cheeks blushing red and she threw the pillow at him. “Park Chanyeol, enough!”

Chanyeol smiled back and shook his head in amusement.

Interesting.

 

She frowned and looked at the time. “It’s time for the soccer match, Arsenal versus Manchester United.”

Chanyeol scratched his forehead and laughed. “It’s in an hour’s time silly!”

Jaemi gawked at him and bit her lip. “Then I’ll just cook something to eat,” she suggested and went into the kitchen.

Chanyeol scratched his head.

 

She opened the fridge and gawked at the empty fridge.

“Sorry, we only have eggs, raw spaghetti and beer,” he said and smiled apologetically.

Jaemi quirked her lips and snapped her fingers. “I’ll make spaghetti then.”

Chanyeol blinked. “Are you serious? Don’t burn down the kitchen,” he warned while she rolled her eyes at him. “Relax, I’ve cooked before,” she said and waved her hand. Chanyeol smiled. “Teach me then.”

“First, I need to add the boiling water into the pot, then add some salt,” she said, and randomly sprinkled salt into the boiling water. “Next, add the spaghetti in and stir it within the first two minutes,” she instructed.

Chanyeol nodded and stirred it violently as the boiling water scalded his thumb and he howled. “HOT!!!” he screamed and Jaemi immediately held onto his hand and rinse it under cold water.

She gently blew his finger and Chanyeol cracked a smile, blushing.

Jaemi realized what she was doing and she slowly looked up at him.

 She quickly pushed his finger away and looked away. “Aish, you’re such a klutz. I’ll take care of the spaghetti; just do your own stuff.”

Chanyeol pouted and nodded. “Alright.”

Jaemi placed the lid back on the pot, and when the pot is boiling again, she removed the lid.

After half an hour, Chanyeol could smell the smell of spaghetti and he his lips hungrily as he sniffed the air.

Jaemi carefully placed the two bowls down on the table. She looked at the television screen and immediately shouted. “It’s starting! It’s starting!”

The match began, and so did Jaemi and Chanyeol started to eat as one they took a big mouthful of the spaghetti, they immediately spat it out. “It’s salty!” they both exclaimed, and at that point of time, Arsenal scored a goal.

They gawked at the bowl, and then gawked at the screen as they grumbled and stuck their tongues out. “Damn,” she cursed and Chanyeol nodded. “Manchester needs to defend!” he shouted.

After half of the match, Manchester United finally scored a goal and they both immediately high fived each other, grinning from ear to ear.

 

Just then, the commercial break appeared and they groaned. “Not at this moment,” he groaned then he looked at the spaghetti which has turned cold. “You said you could cook.” He looked at Jaemi while she scoffed. “Why don’t you try then, playboy,” she replied and she tilted her head to one side. “Ah yes, why are you even a playboy?” she frankly asked while he gulped and bit his lip. “Well, because, you know, I’m popular, and that’s probably about it.”

“What a bad liar.” She shook her head in disappointment while he rolled his eyes. “Fine. My father’s a playboy. He played with my mum’s feelings alright, and I’m kind of angry with him-“

“What has that got to do with your personality?”

“You know, it runs in the genes. If the father’s a playboy, the son has a 50% chance of being one too. Plus, you know I’m this charming and handsome, it’s hard to kick the habit,” he whispered as he leaned forward towards Jaemi and she sighed, leaning backwards before pushing his face away. “Well then from today onwards I’ll help you kick that habit away,” she said confidently, but a second later she burst out laughing and Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head. “It seems, ridiculous,” she laughed and Chanyeol pouted. “What about you?” he asked. “Why are you so hardworking?” He tapped his chin. “I think it’s because your mother’s hardworking that’s why your hardworking too.”

She laughed.

 

“GO! GO! GO! SCORE!” they shouted and grinned excitedly at the screen. 2-1. Man U leading. Jaemi popped the peanut into and chewed on it happily.

“Jaemi, who’s your favourite player?” he asked, sitting beside Jaemi on the small sofa and she grinned. “David Beckham.”

“But he has retired,” he said and she sighed. “I know, but he will always be my favourite player. Second would be.. Wayne?” she said uncertainly while he nodded.

As Jaemi flipped through the magazine, her eyes rounded in surprise and she patted Chanyeol’s shoulder furiously while he groaned. “Chanyeol look! Stand a chance to win Manchester T shirt signed by players from Manchester United,” she read and immediately squealed. “With a poster signed by all players!” she squealed once more and Chanyeol squealed together with her.

“Chanyeol, why don’t we, sign up for it?” she suggested and he raised an eyebrow at her. “Isn’t your time spent for studying?”

Jaemi smiled and shrugged. “But since I spent my time watching football, there’s no harm trying it,” she said and squeezed his arm. “Come on. It’s two shirts,” she said.

Chanyeol frowned and looked at her with puppy eyes. “But, this contest is only for couples,” he said. “What about the poster? There’s only one.”

“Simple! We can act as one! And as for the poster we can split it into a half..” her voice faltered and she found her suggestion retarded. “I mean, I can hold it for two weeks, and then you can have it,” she suggested while Chanyeol blinked in surprise. “Really?”

She nodded and squeezed his arm again. “So it’s a deal?” she asked excitedly and he nodded. “Deal!”

 

 

 

Jaemi grinned excitedly. She tossed and turned in her bed. The thought of her receiving the autographs and the shirt made her really excited that she couldn’t even sleep, and she silently stood up, quietly tiptoed to her drawer and she pulled the necklace out of her drawer.

She grabbed the necklace by the chain and looked at the heart in the middle. She smiled.

She still remembered this was the gift from Chanyeol for her birthday, and that month ago she was still irritating and annoyed just by his presence.

She touched the lock in the middle of the heart and softly smiled.

Maybe, it was the necklace that moved her. He must have spent a bomb buying the necklace and she really appreciates the thought of it that time as a friend.

Maybe tomorrow, they will win a present more valuable than this necklace, she thought and cracked a smile as she placed it back into the drawer and slept.

-----