Survival

Love Entanglement

13

When I was your age, I too had everything. I had best friends, I had money, and most importantly I had the love of my life.

When you’re in love, nothing matters to you.

At that time, I met this guy, called Han Junsuk. He was a handsome young lad-

“As handsome as me?” Chanyeol asked, grinning as he pointed a finger at his nose and Jaemi covered his mouth. “Just listen.”

It was definitely love at first sight. I met him in the library through a bookshelf. We picked the exact same book.

 

“Are you kidding me? You can even meet him just like this? Don’t you think it’s like a coincidence?” he asked while Jaemi shushed him. Dasul rolled her eyes and continued.

Slowly, I realized he was the right one.

I sing, while he play the guitar. Every Friday evening after school, we would always go to the school’s band room and practice.

As we slowly understand of our feelings for each other, we met with each other often.

We spend our weekends together at the beach, or we go to the nearby cafe to study together. Sometimes during the holidays, we would often meet up at the pub and do a duet.

We even celebrated our birthdays together. It was simple, but happy.

Afraid of our parents thinking that our relationship was just a fling, we kept it underground, and also from our friends. And sometimes because of that we would quarrel and argue, but within an hour we would be talking to each other again.

At that period of time was the happiest days of my life with him.

But happy times won’t last forever, I know.

 

Just as we were about to take the college entrance exams, my parents decided to emigrate to Canada. I persuaded them to let me stay in Korea, but they didn’t allow.

In the end they found out I was with Junsuk and they immediately dragged me with them. I almost didn’t had a chance to say goodbye to Junsuk. I sneaked out one night just to meet him, and he gave me a present.

He said that I could only open it when I reach Canada, and I promised him I’ll come back as soon as possible.

But I didn’t fulfil my promise. My father had the idea of staying in Canada permanently, and I couldn’t do anything about it.

Only eight years later I came back, and I found everything has changed. The school closed down, Junsuk moved, and he changed his phone number.

 

She took in a deep breath and calmed herself down. “And just like this, so many years have passed. Up till now this was my biggest regret. And also because of him I remained single.”

Chanyeol sighed and shook his head sadly, while Jaemi softened and held onto Dasul’s hands. “You’ve really been through a lot, Dasul,” she said.

“Ah yes. You said Junsuk gave you a present, where is it?” Chanyeol asked, wiping his tears away and sniffed. Dasul nodded her head and stretched her hand under the bed, grabbed the tin box.

She walked towards them and dusted it before opening the lid and handing it to them. Dasul slowly cracked a smile at the memories they had with each other which the box contained, and at the same time she missed Junsuk.

Chanyeol waved away the dust and coughed. “These photographs are your present?” he asked and she shook her head. “The photo frame is the present. Inside the photo frame was a photo of her and Junsuk together.

 

It was old and yellowish, the colours fading off, but Chanyeol and Jaemi could both see the face of Junsuk and Dasul.

They really look like a perfect pair. Junsuk was handsome and charming, and Dasul at that time was really pretty. Chanyeol peered closer and took the photo frame, then placed it near Dasul’s cheek and quirked his lips. “You really look similar to that girl in the picture..”

Dasul frowned and smacked him. “I’m that girl, you idiot.” Chanyeol grinned and shrugged. “Well you look really pretty,” he pointed out and she chuckled. “Wipe the drool off your mouth,” she chided and smiled.

Jaemi frowned at the photographs inside the box. All of those were memories, definitely something must be written on it, right?

“Dasul, since you love each other, don’t you write messages on cards to him? And doesn’t he do the same thing to you? Ah yes, did he write any messages to you in the present he gave you?” she asked.

 

Dasul blinked in surprise and she shook her head sadly.

Jaemi quirked her lips and flipped the photographs to the back of it. “Look, you write messages and the dates on the day, it’s impossible he won’t write anything to you,” she whispered and looked at photo frame.

She took out the photo from the photo frame and her eyes rounded in surprise. “Look,” she said, and pointed at the message at the back of the photo.

Dasul blinked and she smiled. “There’s a message? For me? From Junsuk?”

Dasul, we’re on two different sides of the world, yet our hearts are one.

Meet at the school’s band room, thirty years from now.

In rain, or sunshine, I’ll be there every year till you come. 15th February 8.00pm, our special moment.

 

Chanyeol blinked and he counted using his fingers. “Dasul, how old are you now?” he asked.

“You’re supposed to meet him at the age of 50, and now, you’re.. 63..” Chanyeol’s voice faltered and he gulped.

 

Dasul blinked back her tears and she sulked in her seat. “I’m, thirteen years, late,” her voice cracked and Jaemi exchanged worried looks with Chanyeol.

“Dasul,” Jaemi whispered and rubbed her shoulder. “The message said that Junsuk will be there every year till you come,” she comforted and Chanyeol nodded. “Plus, 15th February is just around the corner. Just.. two more weeks,” he said.

“Two more weeks is too long, I really want to meet him now,” she whispered and Jaemi wrap her arms around her. “You’ll meet him soon, Dasul, I promise,” she whispered.

They exchanged looks and softened. Dasul has been alone for more than ten years, and now, she finally has the chance to meet him, but the chances are so slim. Maybe Junsuk forgot about it? Jaemi and Chanyeol shook those thoughts away.

 

 

Chanyeol and Jaemi walked out of the building and sighed in unison. “Poor Dasul,” she whispered and Chanyeol nodded. Just then, his stomach rumbled loudly and he stopped in his tracks and gulped. Jaemi looked at his stomach and chuckled. “Bet you didn’t eat much just now, right?” She raised an eyebrow at him and he scratched his neck sheepishly. “Yeah..”

“Let’s go, I’ll treat you to something nice,” she said and slung an arm around his shoulder while he blinked in surprise. “Sure!” he exclaimed and he slung an arm around her shoulder, but she didn’t mind.

She grinned and walked towards a restaurant and they sat at a table. They looked at the menu and she frowned then looked at her wallet. She mentally smacked herself for acting so smart.

She only had enough money to pay for a meal set, and as she browsed through the menu, a set caught her and she grinned.

“Chanyeol, why don’t we order the couples’ love set meal? It cost just slightly more than the meal set,” she suggested and Chanyeol blinked. Did he hear the wrong thing or did Jaemi said the wrong thing?

“S-sure!” He smiled and blushed, covering his blushing face with the A4 size menu.

 

Soon, the meal came, which surprised the two of them. The steak was shaped in a heart and even the sauce was shaped into a heart. Then, Jaemi sighed. She was so engrossed in the price that she forgot about the image the was on the menu.

*Whatever. It’s still food.* She thought and looked up at Chanyeol and smiled. “Let’s eat.”

Chanyeol grinned and bit his lip, nodding. “Jaemi, I didn’t know you actually like steak,” he whispered while Jaemi was busy eating and she nodded. “To be honest I didn’t bring enough money, so I could only afford this set,” she explained, and she stopped eating, and placed her utensils down.

“Don’t think of anything else,” she warned and Chanyeol sighed. “Can’t I even think of you liking me?” He pouted and poked his steak.

“Shush it,” she snapped. “You are never serious. I don’t even know why are you even a student president.”

Just then, a girl ran past their table and fell on the ground, wailing. Chanyeol went up to her and carried her. “Don’t cry little girl,” he cooed. And within seconds, the mother quickly snatched her away from him and slapped him. “ert! What are you doing to my daughter?!” the mother screamed as Chanyeol gulped and shook his head. “I didn’t do anything!” he defended himself while the mother ignored him and walked away.

Chanyeol went back to his seat and grumbled. “I didn’t even do anything.”

“Because you’re a flirt.”

Chanyeol looked at her and she blinked. “Aren’t I wrong? Too flirty will just make people misunderstand.”

Chanyeol sighed. “I know I irritate you because of my actions and personality. And I know that your first impression of me will be what you think of me, but you’re wrong. You can’t just judge me like this.”

Jaemi blinked. “I was just kidding.”

Chanyeol sighed once more. “Do you know anything about me? Do you know my birthday? My favourite colour? My best subject? You don’t, do you? I know you will doesn’t mean you know me well. You can’t be prejudiced.”

“You have a choice, the privileges. A choice whether you wish to go back to America or continue staying in Korea, but I don’t. When I was young I already had no choice. I had to work and support myself. Just like now when I carry the burden of being the school president, everybody wants me to be serious and studious. I don’t have a choice because they already paved the way for me. But I don’t believe. I changed. I can be studious and flirty at the same time. I want to do the things I want to do. When I was young no one cut me slack. When I didn’t have enough change for the bus fare the bus driver kicked me out.”

Jaemi bit her lip. “When I was short of ten won the bus driver didn’t even charge me for that ride,” she murmured.

"The mother treated me as a kidnapper or something. But if you were the one who carried her daughter, it will be a different scene,” he explained.

Jaemi looked at him and sighed. This was the most serious conversation she ever had, and she just realized she really didn’t even know Chanyeol that well to even judge him.

“Don’t think I have good looks and branded items means I’m rich and have choices to make. You’re wrong. I don’t have. I toiled and worked hard for my position in school, because that is only how I can survive, do you get it?” he said.

Jaemi lowered her head and bit her lip.

There was a moment of silence before Chanyeol broke into a smile and grinned. “Alright. That’s enough of storytelling. Let’s eat!” he said excitedly.

Jaemi raised an eyebrow at him and blinked. "Wow. That escalated quickly."

He can be more bipolar than normal girls.

-----