Misunderstanding

Love Entanglement

31

Chanyeol walked down the stairs.

He stopped in his tracks and he blinked. “Sae..Ra?”

Saera was weeping at a corner of the stairs and she blinked, looking up at the voice.

She immediately covered her face and shook her head. “You.. You’ve got the wrong person.”

Chanyeol chuckled and sat down beside her. “What’s wrong, Saera?”

Saera shut her eyes and covered her ears. “Stop calling my name! I will just like you even more!”

Chanyeol laughed and shook his head. “Alright, alright. Why are you crying?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” she asked, her voice muffled as she sniffed.

Chanyeol blinked. “Don’t tell me you’re crying because of, me..?” He pointed a finger at himself. He sighed. “Oh come on. How long have you met me and you already love me to death?” he asked, bewildered.

“My parents met each other within seven days and they got married! What’s so surprising liking a guy that I barely knew for a month?”

He sighed. “Then how’s the relationship of your parents?”

“Bad. They’re always fighting.”

“You see?”

Saera shifted her gaze around and she twisted the hem of her skirt.  “That doesn’t mean we can’t be together.”

“We can. But we’ll end up like your parents. Or even worse,” he said bluntly. Saera looked up at him.

He sighed. “Why do you like me? Because of my looks? You don’t even know me well. That’s not true love. You’re just blinded by infatuation.”

He pressed his lips into a firm line. “Love is selfless. It’s not about possessing. Saera, you’re still young and ignorant. Your maturity level, it’s not there.”

Saera pouted.

“You will think of me every single day, but not for long. Within a few months, your target will change and the cycle repeats. I cherish our friendship, and I’m sorry I was quite harsh on you the other day.”

“You cherish, our friendship? Not relationship?”

Chanyeol forced out a smile. “You are not my cup of tea.”

“You’re being harsh again!” she cried.

“I’m sorry! It’s my personality!” He defended.

Saera pouted once more and sighed. “So, we can’t be together?”

He nodded.

“You should have said it earlier!”

Chanyeol gagged at her. “I was trying to! You were blinded by ‘love’ and couldn’t even listen when I was trying to snap some sense into you!” He shouted.

“Well it’s your fault.”

“@#$%^&!”

“HEY! THAT’S MEAN!”

“You were being annoying, I had to.”

--

“Jaemi!” he called, waving his hand.

Jaemi slowly walked up the bridge and waved.

The sun was already down, and the moon was up in the night sky.

Jaemi met Baekhyun at the school’s garden.

Baekhyun pointed at the bench. “Do you still remember what happened at the bench?”

They were both standing on the bridge, under the bridge was a koi pond and Jaemi looked down at her reflection in the water.

“Baekhyun.”

“Do you still remember how I met you on the first day of school? You bumped into me when you lost your way. You were really cute back then.” He smiled.

“Baekhyun.”

Look at the mart. He pointed outside of the school gates. We cycled together, along that track to the mart. It was fun. He smiled once more.

Baekhyun.

Baekhyun stopped smiling. Jaemi. I know what you are going to say.”

“Baekhyun, I don’t know but I..”

“You’re confused, Jaemi.”

“Baekhyun I’m not sure but can’t we stay as friends? I don’t want to hurt you,” she said, facing him.

He grabbed onto her arm. “But, I like you. I really do.”

“I like you too, as a friend. A really good friend that I really cherish and I don’t want to lose my friend. When you asked me out I was confused. And maybe I thought if we go out together I would have some feelings for you and let go of-but I don’t want to lead our friendship to any misunderstandings. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” She apologised, looking down. “We're dating, but we're not in a relationship. Dating doesn't mean we are in a relationship. Dating is the first stage, followed by relationship where we commit to each other and start caring for each other even more. I don't think we will be able to reach that stage, so let's just end it at the first stage, alright?”

“What do you mean by stages? I don't get it!” he said, frustrated.

 I keep avoiding you, because I don't know how to face you. You look at me with loving eyes that I feel so guilty because I don't feel the same way like you do,” she whispered, lowering her head in guilt.  For whatever you have done for me, I'm really thankful, but guilty at the same time.” 

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “You need to give us some time, I promise, I’ll make you change your mind. One month, just one month, that’s all I need,” he said, determined. “In the meantime, don’t avoid me, please?”

Oh god.

Jaemi couldn’t reject him again. It took her a long time to muster up her courage to reject Baekhyun, and he still doesn’t understand it. She couldn’t bear to do it once more, it’ll be too cruel of her to hurt the innocent Baekhyun.

Jaemi let out a deep sigh and nodded. She gave up. Baekhyun won.

Baekhyun smiled and engulfed her into a hug while she blinked in surprise and coughed, forcing out a smile and patted his back awkwardly.

Then again, Kudos to Baekhyun’s determination. Clap. Clap. Clap.

--

One month deadline:

Starts now.

Jaemi forced herself to pay attention despite knowing Baekhyun kept staring at her through the corner of her eye.

She was paired up with Baekhyun for most of debates projects and assignments. It was heaven for Baekhyun but for Jaemi, sigh.

Baekhyun kept pestering her, planning outings and dates while Jaemi was desperately trying to finish the work.

 

 

In the meantime, don’t avoid me, please?

Jaemi couldn’t help avoiding Baekhyun. She has been wary and cautious of every step of hers.

She tried avoiding moving to her left, which is the direction of Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s dormitory and was cautious when she was in the cafeteria, always dragging Eunmi along and hiding behind her.

But of course, Baekhyun would spam her with text messages.

She sighed and switched her phone to airplane mode. She needed a break.

 

 

Jaemi held her breath as she stared up at the bee. She gulped and slowly moved back. She was alone in the hallway, and a bee entered the hallway.

“Pl-please, don’t come, a-any, ne-nearer,” she prayed.

The bee buzzed even louder and she screamed, running away. The bee flew in her direction and she immediately dashed.

As she turned into a corner at the end of the hallway, a hand grabbed her arm and pulled her in. She yelped.

was cupped by Baekhyun’s hand and she slowly turned to face him.

He placed a finger to his own lips, shushing her.

“Baek..Baekhyun?”

He grinned at her. “Hello.”

They were in a store room that was located at the end of the hallway. It was an enclosed and squeezy room, as small as a closet where the mops and brooms were kept.

It was a dark and stuffy room and they could only see light through the small gaps between the door.

“What are you doing here?” she whispered.

“Saving you,” he replied bluntly. “From the bee.”

She searched for his eyes that were full of hope and she bit her lip, slightly embarrassed at the close contact they were sharing. He could hardly lift his arm up to rub his neck. It was just too squeezy.

Jaemi was about to push open the door but Baekhyun grabbed her hand, stopping her. “There’s students walking by, do you want them to get the wrong idea of us?” he asked.

As students started walking by, they both held their breath.

“Oh right, then what do we do now?”

“There’s two options. One, we will go out and students will get the wrong idea of us. Two, we will stay here.”

“I guess we’ll go with two then,” Jaemi said, pouting.

She fanned herself and sighed. “It’s really hot here.”

Baekhyun pinked as he gulped, Jaemi’s hot breath was on his neck and he bit his lip.

Baekhyun looked down at her and smiled. “No matter how hard you try to avoid me, you will still come back to me eventually,” he whispered.

Jaemi quickly looked away, turning her body away to face the wall. “Haha..St-stop playing.”

He slowly wrapped his arms around her waist and she flinched.

He whispered into her ear, “I’m not playing. I mean it. No matter what your decision is, I will always be there for you. I will never give up on you. I will be there to protect you and take care of you. I won’t let anyone hurt you,”

She pressed his lips into a firm line and shifted uncomfortably.

Baekhyun bit his lip to prevent his smile from getting any wider.

He slowly leaned forward, looking at her face carefully and dreamily. Jaemi looked at the small light that  was coming from outside, seeing shadows casted by students that blocked the light but appeared again after they walk passed.

Baekhyun leaned even closer, now his hot breath on her neck and she furrowed her brows. She slowly turned her head to face him.

 

That was where their lips touched and Baekhyun closed his eyes.

Jaemi’s eyes rounded  in surprise and she gulped, frozen in her spot.

Baekhyun leaned even closer to press his lips against her, deepening  in the kiss. His arms around her waist tightened. That was his first kiss. It was tender and soft. He enjoyed it very much. Sparks entered his mind and he could feel his pulse quickening even faster. It was, exciting.

Jaemi's back was against the wall, she had no way in escaping.

Jaemi clenched her fists tightly and shut her eyes.

She just thought that was the only thing she can do for Baekhyun to make him happy. 

 

But within seconds she opened her eyes and pushed him away.

She couldn’t do it. She just couldn’t. “Sorry, Baekhyun.”

She quickly pushed the door open and bumped into Chanyeol who was just outside of the storeroom.

He locked eyes with Jaemi and she froze in her spot. Chanyeol looked behind her and met eyes with Baekhyun.

Chanyeol looked back at her in shock, frowning. “You..”

Jaemi wanted to scream. “Chanyeol..” She saw disappointment in his eyes and she wanted to explain everything to him. But then, how could she explain?

Jaemi felt her cheeks burning from embarrassment and she immediately ran past him.

 

It takes courage to love.

-


Sorry for not updating for a month T^T it was the end of year exams so I really had to study and neglected this :(

But now exams are over so TADA