My Cousin and I

Last Descendants

Chapter I: My Cousin and I

 

One person is standing on the rooftop when a soft breeze graces her features. She listened to the whisper of the wind as she gripped tightly with her beloved katana that killed a thousand men centuries ago. Her ancestor passed it down to her full of sentiment.


“I will avenge you.” She muttered with a murderous killing intent shown in her eyes.


But all of that disappeared in a snap when her cousin called out to her.


“You’re not the only one Sari.” Hoya leaned on the door frame with his arms crossed.


“Hmph, you heard that?” She smirked. “I know Hoya.”
 

“Yep and don’t be so, what do you call this? Hmmm, scary? I felt your aura awhile ago so I came up here to check on you. I just thought you’re going to kill someone.”
 

“I’m not psychotic. You know me.” She faced him and put her arms to her side.
 

“I don’t think so couz.” He denied.
 

“What makes you say that?” She raised a brow as the katana gleamed from the sunset.
 

“Well, one time you wanted to kill someone who messed with you that night.” Hoya shivered from the thought. “Good thing I stopped you that time or there will be a big commotion if you killed them.”
 

She sheathes her katana back to its place and sighed.
 

“I can’t help it. How dare they mess with me?” She shook her head. “Come on, let’s eat. I’m starving.”
 

She went on ahead when he interrupted her.
 

“We don’t have any food left.” Hoya blurted out and felt disheartened when he saw the fridge a few hours ago, it is completely empty.
 

“Why didn’t you tell me? Nevermind, let’s just eat out. Ramyeon’s not a bad idea.” She sighed for the umpteenth time.
 

“Sure thing! As long as there is kimchi.” Hoya drooled at the thought.
 

Both of them went down from the rooftop and headed first to their apartment.

 

 

When they arrived to the unit, the clock ticked exactly to 6:00pm. They stood there and felt the changes from their eyes.


“Ah, it’s time.” She took the eye patch and a wallet. She wore the little piece of clothing and as well as Hoya.
 

“This is really inconvenient. Why didn’t we just have a cool birthmark instead of a heterochromic eyes.” Hoya complained as he wore his hoodie and a cap.


“There’s nothing we can do about it. Let’s go, I’m famished.” Her stomach grumbled.

 

After eating to their hearts’ content at a small ramyeon restaurant, they started conversing about their mission. Luckily, there are no people around except them and the two employees.
They sat far away with them so they can converse comfortably.


“For so many years, since that incident, we can’t still find the assassin who killed our clan. It’s making me frustrated.” Hoya clucked his tongue and leaned in.


“Yeah, not even a smallest clue. You’re not the only one.” She repositioned her eye patch. “But we cannot give up on this one. We need to avenge for our parents and the clan."


“True that.” He paused. “Since there are no clues appearing in front of us, let’s just use this time to strengthen ourselves and train."


She nodded in agreement. “Good thing, I practiced and trained all the lessons I learned from Master Yunho.” She clenched both of her fists on the table and gazed downwards with grief.


“Yeah, same here. We were the best students he had.” Hoya looked from afar and muttered grimly, “Before he died at that time too.”


The atmosphere became so depressing. So Kim Sari stood up and Hoya followed suit walking out from the restaurant.
Once they were out, both Hoya and Sari’s hands in both pockets and sighed deeply acted in a similar fashion.
They looked each other and broke out a laugh.


“There’s nothing to be worried about, right?” Hoya said looking up at the night sky.


“Yep.” She smiled a little and gaze up to the stars.

 

 

As they arrived to the apartment, both of them used their last hours fixing their school supplies for their first day tomorrow.


“I really don’t want to go to school.” Hoya grumbled.


“You’re not the only one couz.” Sari replied. “And worse, I need to wear a skirt.” She held it up and frowned at the sight.


“Why? It would really look good on you.” Hoya teased.


“Do you want to die?” She glared at him. 


“No, not until the mission is over. You can’t do it without me.” He’s not fazed by her deadly glare.


“Whatever.” She ended.


Hoya chuckled and finished up fixing things and laid his bag on the center table.


“Well, the good thing is I can wear converse. School shoes is gonna kill me.” She zipped her backpack and laid it beside his on the center table.


“Don’t you miss wearing the waraji (traditional straw sandals) with the tabi (traditional Japanese socks)?” Hoya reminisced, the days they were training at the dojo.


“Of course, don’t you forget the Yoroi hakama too.” She smiled at the nostalgia that brought upon them.


“But now we wear our modernized samurai armors.” He plopped on the sofa.
 

“Times have changed.” She said as she went to the sofa too and sat beside him.
 

“Well, we are always inside the dojo and never got out when we were little. Training till we were on our limit. Even though, we are living in a modern world.”
 

She laughed at the fact, “Yeah, we didn’t even know about that one fact. We thought it’s still in the old era.”
 

“Those are strict times but now we’re free, almost.”
 

“We still have some things to do.” She punched Hoya on the right side of the arm. He howled in pain.
 

“Ya! That hurts Sari!” He rubbed his sore arm. “You know, you really can’t control your strength.”


She stood up and went to her room but before that she replied evilly. “That’s why when somebody messes with me.” She slit with her index finger.


He laughed nervously, “That’s why I am on your side forever. Saranghae Sari.” He shaped his arms in a heart shape.


She made a disgusted face and slammed the door shut of her bedroom.

 

 

The rays of sunlight peeked through the window that penetrated to her eyelids. Her eyes fluttered as she awakens from her slumber.
She stretched her arms out and sat on her bed. She glanced up at the alarm clock with her one sleepy eye open.


“It’s way too early.” She muttered sleepily. But instead of going back to sleep, she picked up her katana to train on the rooftop with more time to spare.
 

On the other hand, Hoya woke up earlier than Sari as he was now meditating on his bed. He heard Sari walking out from her bedroom and out from the apartment.
“Training huh?” He opened his eyes and somersaulted out from his bed. He picked up his katana too and went out to follow his cousin.

 

As Sari went to the rooftop, she readied herself with the first stance and started swinging her sword with grace and strength as sweat drops from her head and it went on for a few minutes.


Hoya came not too long and joined Sari at her training.
She stopped when she heard Hoya.


“Annyeong Sari, let’s spar.” He greeted with a smile with his katana on his right hand.


She nodded in agreement and he ran facing her. Both of them are now face to face and bowed each other in respect before getting into their stance.

 

 

The sparring started as she lunged first onto him with a fatal blow but evaded with a jump that is too high for normal people. She withdrew her sword and noticed he started to attack her with a horizontal slash but she blocked it with her katana. With much force, both of them driven far away and took a big breath.

 

"Not bad couz." Hoya complimented.

 

"Flattery will get me nowhere." She sped up as she tried to do the vertical slash on him but he dodge away from the strong attack. Her attack created a crack on the rooftop's asphalt floor.

 

Hoya flinched at the sight. "That was close", he muttered with a sigh of relief. As he was distracted, she quickly flash stepped behind him.

 

 

"Not quite couz." She grinned evilly with a murderous glint in her eye. Out of fear, he swinged his sword directly behind but she somersaulted in the air and landed gracefully in front of him.

 

With her last attack, she pointed her katana on his throat, almost touching. He never dared to move as he felt something sharp.

 

 

He sighed in defeat, "You win. I never knew you got improved. I always beat you when we battle."

 

 

She withdrew her katana and sheathes it back on her scabbard.

 

"You underestimated me Hoya. I train when I have time." She smirked.

 

"Sorry for underestimating you." He smiled in proud.

 

Both of them faced each other and bowed down in respect after battle.

 

 

"Oh yeah, what time is it?" She asked him. 

 

Hoya took a look at the time and widened his eyes in his surprise.

 

"15 minutes before the school bell rang!!" Hoya ran leaving her behind.

 

 

"We fought that long." She exclaimed in surprise. 

Instead of runnin, she flash stepped by going down the stairs.

 

Well, time flies so fast when you're enjoying. She thought happily.

 

 

As they both arrived in an unbelievably fast manner, the bell rang in an exact time as they both arrived in their own respective classroom. Fortunately, they are classmates. Sari has a hard time making new friends and socialize with other people, as well as Hoya but not that bad.

 

Both of them did not even broke a sweat when they arrived. They grinned at each other after they sat side by side on the chair.

 

Actually...

 

When they already went back to their apartment after their mock battle, Sari and Hoya took a bath on their own bathrooms in a unbelievably fast manner  and wore their clothes in a split second.

 

Hoya finished first and took his bag from where he placed last night.

"Sari, gotta go first!!" Hoya went on and locked the door of their apartment unit.

 

After Hoya left, she came out from the room and swiftly took her bag. She decided to use her skills on making her way to the school. She grinned in delight. Instead of going out on the front door, she went out making her way on the rooftop yet again and started jumping on roofs.

 

When Hoya ran in a fast pace, he noticed her aura and looked from above. He saw her jumping from roof to roof.

 

"Sari?! What the heck?!"  He shouted. "People will see you."

 

"Not if you didn't shout couz. Just shut up and run." She shouted back.

 Good thing there are no people around when they started shouting each other.

 

"I'll race you!! Losers gotta pay for dinner and do grocery shopping." She added and sped up.

 

Hoya looked at her in disbelief. 

"Mwo?! Not fair Sari!" He sped up too in match with hers. 

 

 

But as they arrived at the school premises. Sari and Hoya arrived at the same time.

 

"Well, I guess it's gonna be dutch."

 

"Figures." She replied.

 

The teacher came in and started, "Good morning class, we have newcomers today. Both of them are related. Please come in front. Hm..." The teacher went throught the list and dictated.

 

"Kim Howon and Kim Sari." Both him and her stood up and went in front of the class. The guys started whispering to each other and Sari had a feeling that it is because of you. Likewise with the girls, they started chattering about your cousin, Hoya.

 

 

She leaned to Hoya's side and whispered, "I don't like what they're saying."

 

"Just deal with it couz." He replied back, not liking the attention too.

 

"Class please keep it down. Please introduce yourselves." Hoya and Sari nodded.

 

Sari stepped up first and introduced, "Annyeong haseyo, Kim Sari imnida. Just call me Sari." She introduced in a cold manner and Hoya nudged her at the side signalling that she shouldn't be cold.

 

 

She gave the class an impression to not be near her.

 

Then, he stepped up next as it is his turn now, "Annyeong haseyo, Kim Howon imnida. Just call me Hoya. As you know, Kim Sari is my cousin."

 

 

Some girls giggled at him but in Hoya's mind. Just endure it.

 

"Okay, you may take your seats now." The teacher ushered both of them back and started the lecture.

 

 

Sari and Hoya only took homeschooling since they were young. They never had any friends, they only have each other but they consider their parents and their master as friends too. However, since the assassination happened, only both of them survived. They took it painfully but there's nothing they can do about it. They received their parents' fortune as the will stated and started living in a new life. They rented an apartment and bought the things they needed. They finished studying till first year before the incident happened. And as of now, it is their first time studying out from the dojo and in a proper school with so many people. They are still uncomfortable in a new setting but they can adapt easily. They hoped.

 

 

Lunch time came after long hours of discussion, Sari and Hoya had no energy to get up. Unexpectedly, they are quite surprised they got exhausted for three periods. Both of them are average students. Well, it must be hard for first timers.

 

"Ugh, so tired. Wanna grab lunch now?" Hoya grumbled. She looked at him and squinted her eyes at him.

 

 

"I'd rather sleep. This place is mentally draining than homeschooling." Her head came in contact with the table. Hoya stood up and pulled Sari along with him to the cafeteria.

 

 

"Aw come on, let's eat. We need to refill our strength. There are more after this you know." Hoya dragged her like a potato sack.

 

"Fine." Sari stood up properly and walked side by side with Hoya.

 

 

After arriving at the cafeteria, both of them lined up and got what they need. What they really need. The students glanced in disbelief at the new students pertaining to Hoya and Sari.

 

 

"Why are they looking at us like that?" She asked her cousin, wary of the students' stare.

 

"I don't really know." Hoya shrugged and took a seat on the empty spot and same as her beside him.

 

The girls and guys alike gaped at Sari for what she ordered. Curious what she got? She ordered three cups of rice, a large steak, a spaghetti on the side, eight pieces of tempura, korean beef, kimchi on the side and a bowl of miso soup. Well, she ordered eight pieces of kimbap too.

 

Hoya ordered the same but plus two from her orders. What do you expect? It's a prestigious academy so meals are upgraded and they can eat whatever they want. However, they didn't know that it's a high quality academy.

 

 

"Jalmeogetsumnida." Both of them thanked the food and started chowing down.

 

Suddenly, her ears perked up when she heard someone talking about her.

 

"How can she eat all of that? She's so slim."

 

"How can she be skinny when eating like that?"

 

"Woah, I'm so envious. She can eat anything but never gets fat."

 

"Eew, she eats like a pig. No class."

 

"What?! She's the new girl dude. That totally turned me off."

 

"Tell me about it. She's no girl."

 

"Her looks got wasted, oh man."

 

She heard everything, thanks to her senses that is fully trained since young. Well, that really didn't bother her that much. But as she glanced at Hoya, while munching a tempura, he gave her a worried look.

 

"Ya, don't look at me like that. It's nothing." Sari patted his back sending a message that everthing's fine.

 

"Okay, if you say so." Hoya continued eating despite girls oogling at him. She scanned the vicinity and snorted, Girls. I am unlike any other.

 

 

Dismissal came and Sari joyfully cheered herself in her mind while Hoya stood up, stretched his arm and cheered, "Manse!"

She looked at him weirdly. "Weirdo."

 

Hoya put his arms down and took his bag. "Kill joy."

 

She raised a brow at him, "Really?"

 

"Not really." He laughed and she facepalmed.

 

After walking out from the campus building, Sari and Hoya looked around and saw stalls recruiting new members for the club.

"Well, this is interesting." She muttered clearly for her cousin to hear.

 

"I agree." Hoya agreed and saw a kendo club. He shook her shoulder and pointed at the said club.

 

"Sari, we should join there. It's good for our training." She agreed at the idea.

 

"Good idea." Sari and Hoya walked to the kendo club stall. When they were already in front of the said stall. One brute-looking menber greeted them, "Good day! Would you like to join the club?" 

 

 

That is unexpected. Never judge a book by its cover. Hoya thought as he continued looking at the big guy.

 

Sari took the application form and scanned the details. "What do you do mostly here?" She asked.

 

 

"We do trainings in morning before class and after class. We also hold competitions in our region and nationwide."

 

 

Sari nodded and took two application forms, he gave the other one to Hoya.

 

"We should sign up, it's a good opportunity for us." She started filling up the form as well as Hoya.

 

The brute-looking guy is quite pleased to recruit one lovely lady and a strong looking man.

 

"Do you have experiences in doing kendo?" The big guy asked them.

 

"We trained at the dojo since we're young." Hoya answered and Sari nodded in response.

 

"Well, that's good enough." 

 

After finishing filling up the applications, Hoya and Sari handed it to him.

 

"Thank you very much. Both of you come tomorrow morning at our own dojo in this school by 5:00 am. The dojo is just right around there." The big guy pointed at the right side of the main building. And both of them nodded in response.

 

"Thanks! Well, we'll see you tomorrow." Hoya bid the big guy goodbye. 

 

 

 

After arriving at the apartment, Sari plopped down on the couch sofa as well as Hoya.

 

"Well, that big guy is unexpected. He's really nice." Hoya put his hands under his head.

 

"You think so? At first, I really knew he is nice. No surprise there." She said as a matter of fact.

 

"Are you serious couz?" He raised a brow at her while she blinked innocently.

 

 

Hoya chuckled as he saw Sari's innocent expression and he started pinching her cheeks.

 

"You know, you're so cute." She pinched back.

 

"You know it hurts, right?!" She shouted. Hoya howled in pain and stopped pinching her cheeks.

 

"That's what you get for messing with me." Her eyes glinted scarily at him.

 

"Sorry ma'am." He cowered.

 

 

The clock showed 5:59pm and it struck exactly at 12 with the long hand.

 

Sari sighed and her right eye started lighting up with a blue color. She took the eye patch and placed it. She is sporting on her favorite shirt and a cargo pants along with the rugged blue converse. She took the hoodie and glanced at the time again.

 

 

"Hoya, let's do grocery shopping." Hoya replied with an okay response. He came out from his room while holding his wallet. He wore his eye patch and his cap.

 

 

"You know, we're not gonna last long with just this." He held his wallet up as you glanced at it.

 

Sari sighed again, "We need a job huh?"

 

"Yep." He put his wallet in his pocket.

 

"Let's see if we can find somewhere today after grocery shopping." Both of them nodded in agreement and set out to buy food to fill up the fridge.

 

 

After grocery shopping, both of them aimlessly walked around to find if there are vacant spots for work. 

 

Suddenly, Sari spotted a big sign on the door of a cafe' and stopped walking. While Hoya noticed that her cousin is gone from his side. He looked from behind and saw her staring at the door of the cafe'.

 

"Looking for a waitress. No other requirements needed but must be in high school level and college level." She read the poster.

 This is it! She thought excitedly.

 Hoya came back to her side and glanced up to what she's looking to.

 

"Looking for waitress?" Hoya said it in a question. "You're gonna apply there, aren't you?" He asked her.

 

Sari nodded. She went inside the cafe' and Hoya followed.

 

After half an hour, Sari held her hands in the air with the grocery bags. "Yes! I got accepted. They have a good pay too. Plus, they aren't wearing skirt."

 

Hoya smiled and ruffled her hair, "Good for you Sari. Now, it is my turn."

 

 

They started walking again but this time after turning into the corner, Hoya saw the exact same sign like the cafe' but now at the convenince store. He stopped in his tracks as well as Sari as she noticed Hoya looking at the convenience store.

 

"Looking for an employee. Must be capable of doing almost everything. Must be male in  high school level or college level."

Hoya swiftly averted his gaze to Sari and gave her the biggest smile he has. She nodded for him  to go on.

"Finally." He went on and Sari followed.

 

"Now that makes the two of us employed." Hoya said cheerfully. He really got excited after the interview.

 

"Killing two birds with one stone." Sari commented on the happenings this night.

 

They both fist bumped and did their secret handshake.

 

"Now let's eat to celebrate for this day." Hoya patted his hungry stomach.

 

"Agree with you there bro!" She skipped happily.

 

The day ended like this but unknown to them, someone just started following them far away from them.

 

"They're still alive. Curses."


Author's note: Hi there beloved readers! This concludes the first chapter, just all about Hoya and Sari. I just go with the flow in writing. I really have no knowledge about samurai, clans, korean school and what they do in there. Well, please understand and this is purely fanfiction originated from my mind. We gotta use imagination, right? I hope you like it. Oh and also, please comment and subscribe. Thanks a bunch.

 

INFINITE will come soon, don't worry. Peace out!! ^_^v

 

~dijeiaen