Seoul, South Korea

Blackmail My Thief

                “Alicia.”

                “Yes?” I replied.

                “Did you get it?”

                “Get what?”

                We were in New York, the Big Apple. My family was carefully checking over their plans with practiced eyes looking for any flaws, any mistakes in their strategy. I was sitting by the window, yawning. I knew there were no mistakes, this family never makes mistakes. We always get what we want in the end. But...there was something bothering me, something tugging at my gut.

                “Alicia, did you get the blueprint for the museum?” My mom asked me patiently.

                “Ah, yea it’s right there. Took me a while though.” I handed her the blueprint.

                “What are you thinking sis?” My brother looked at me with narrowed eyes. “How’s the radar?”

                My older brother’s dark brown eyes looked at me warily. His black hair had blond highlights in it. No matter where we were or what we were going to do, those highlights went with him. No one in our family could get him to take them out. Even though it was a prominent description of him, he kept them. He was a tall person but not exceedingly, he was about five foot ten or eleven inches. A slim frame gave him the appearance of a weak person, never a kid that could pull any of this off. But under that frame were perfectly toned muscles and strong limbs. Anthony was stronger than any of those big men that spend all their time at the gym. Under the weak façade, Anthony was actually very smart. Street smart and book smart, an IQ of at least three digits, irreplaceable member of our team and family.

                “Nervous.” I looked at all my family members. “There’s a variable isn’t there? That new security system.”

                My other brother frowned, “The password. It changes every hour. The newest security system in America, it’s going to be tricky, but…” he grinned mischievously. “I would love to crack it.” My younger brother, James was a tech god. Anything that had wires and had electricity running were in danger of seriously becoming transformed around him. Because of him, our technology was already, at the very least, five years ahead of CIA or FBI.

                “There’s something else, isn’t there?” My dad said calmly. “With the security system Psy?”

                “Yea…there’s something…I’m not sure but there’s something wrong with it.” I said, concerned. I have received the nickname ‘Psy’ since my first…job…with the family. I had felt something wrong and my family acted on it right before the police raided the place we were just a few minutes ago. Ever since then, we trusted my instinct impeccably. Short for ‘psychic’ it stuck.

                “Yea, this security system has me nervous too, there’s an unknown variable in it. Although the chances of it happening at the exact same time as we are trying to steal it are very, very small, it’s still a percentage.” Anthony ran his hand through his hair. “I don’t like it.”

                “I don’t either, especially if Alicia has second thoughts.” Both my brothers backed me up.

                I gave them a small smile.

                “I know, we trust Alicia to the letter, but this one, we need to do.” My dad’s eyes met every one of us, “We are Chang family, and we always get what we want.”

                I frowned. I had a bad feeling but one thing I knew for sure was that we would steal that painting.

 

                “What’s happening?” I yelled through the mike. “James!”

                “I’m cracking it now!”

                “That percentage…no way…it was less than 1%!” Anthony said in shock.

                “Get your heads in the game!” my mom yelled. “He’s getting the painting now. James, crack that system only until your father gets out of there with the painting. Cause chaos! Anthony, help your brother out! Alicia, plan C. Get it ready! We’ll see you guys later!”

 

                Red lights flashed all over the museum. Alarms blaring over the loud speakers, hard footsteps of security running around trying to catch their criminal; but they ran past a girl. About five foot six inches, she had long dark brown hair that looked almost black and light brown eyes that seemed to be dark gold when smiling. Clothed in all black with silent sneakers, she sneaked out of the museum, her uncanny sense to detect danger aiding her all the way.

               

                “Painting stolen. All members out. Meet at point G.”

               

                “We’re going to activate Plan C. You all know what to do.” People rushed around with their heavy baggage and someone in the background announced that plane 207 to London was leaving.

                “Mom.” I said nervous.

                “I know Alicia, no,” she smiled. “You’re going to finally use that beautiful name of yours now aren’t you? Alicia Yae Young Chang? We’ll be together soon. We just need to lay low for a while. We’re in no danger so relax and view this as a vacation. Act like a regular eighteen year old for once.”

                “Yea Yae Young,” Anthony said with a smile. “You’ll be fine. I’m going to college again, remember?”

                I smiled. “Lucky you weirdo.”

                “Hey, hey, why couldn’t we do this when I’m a little older huh? I have to go to junior high again?” James whined.

                We all laughed. “It’ll be fine James, don’t make too many girls fall for you ‘kay?”

                Dad came back with the tickets. “The painting is safe. You all have fun and wait at your respective locations till we contact you. James.”

                James handed out phones each a different color. Mine was white, my favorite color. I smiled at James. “Thanks.”

                He winked back.

                “You can figure out of the features later.” Then my dad turned towards me, “Yae Young, your plane is first. Get through security without any incidents Psy.”

                I smirked and turned around. “Who do you think I am Dad? I’m Alicia Chang, I never get caught.” Then I started walking towards the doors to security, and little did I know many hardships were waiting for me there. Love, hate, danger, loneliness, sadness, everything was in my location. And one choice, a choice that would affect the rest of my life, all in my location, South Korea’s capital, Seoul.