Princess

The Charm of a Goddess

Pairing | JaeDara
Requested by mihyun84

 

It was another normal day for Jaejoong in his book themed cafe. University students were coming in flocks, even businessmen and women.

 

“I made the right choice.”

 

He did a 360 turn and saw regular customers, but there was one particular person that caught his eye.

 

“A new face,”

 

“Maybe you should approach her,” it was Yunho, his business partner, “New customer. Maybe we can get her to buy a book along with her coffee,”

 

“When'd you get here?” asked Jaejoong

 

“I've been here. You have been too busy admiring our cafe and that fine lady,” he teased as he folded his arms

 

“You're in an unusually good mood today,” Jaejoong tried to shift the topic

 

“I might be the reason for that.”

 

Jaejoong made a curious look as he saw a hand go up a bit behind Yunho. Jaejoong looked behind Yunho and saw Kahi sitting down having her usual green tea.

 

“Of course. Your girlfriend is here,” Jaejoong let out a sigh

 

“You sound frustrated that I'm here,” Kahi leaned over the counter

 

“I love you as a sister Kahi, but Yunho does no work when you're around,”

 

“Not true,” Yunho had a defensive tone on

 

“Baby, you gotta do work,” Kahi reprimanded him

 

“But I want to spend time with you.”

 

There it is. There they go flirting again, Jaejoong thought as he shook his head.

 

“Excuse me,” a calm, soothing voice said.

 

Jaejoong saw the beautiful lady he was staring at earlier, now in front of him. He became flustered and felt his cheeks getting hot.

 

“Ye-yes?” Jaejoong felt dumb for stuttering

 

The lady smiled after hearing his response.

 

“I was wondering if I could get a refill,”

 

“Oh, yeah, of course.”

 

Jaejoong turned his back on her and mentally hit himself for acting like a starstruck person. He grabbed the black coffee jug and faced her once more.

 

“Nice cafe you have here,” she complimented

 

“Thank you.”

 

Jaejoong slightly bowed. He was thinking of asking for her name. This is the time for small talk. Get her name. Ask her interests. Suggest a book. Yes, this is it. But as he looked up, she was already back at her seat.

 

“What is wrong with me?”

 

“Too slow,” Yunho butted in again

 

“You again,”

 

“You should stop talking aloud so I won't have anything to say,” Yunho smirked

 

“She's beautiful,” commented Kahi, “But you know we can't form commitments with humans,” added Kahi

 

Jaejoong stayed quiet. Right, we're fairies. Completely transformed to a human with a different physique. And, we don't age. And we're only here to look for the missing princess. Remember that.

 

“She doesn't look human though,” Jaejoong said

 

“What does she look like to you?” asked Yunho

 

“Like a goddess,”

 

“You are totally smitten.”

 

Yunho gave him a pat on the shoulder before doing his rounds, checking out the book shelves. Jaejoong tried to focus on his job. I've never felt this way for a hundred years. The last time was... with the princess. Why now? She isn't a fairy. We would sense it. But she has this mysterious aura.

 

“She truly is like a goddess though. I don't think any fairies at home could compare to her,” Kahi spoke again, “Except for...”

 

“I know,”

 

“Sorry,”

 

“So are you encouraging me?”

 

“Just stating a fact,” she said as she twirled her chair, “Want me to talk to her?”

 

“No!”

 

Kahi let out a shockingly evil laugh before standing up to leave.

 

“You won't be breaking any rules, ya know.”

 

She's right. Plus, I just want to have small talk. I admire her beauty. It's not like I'm going to marry her.

 

“You'll be fine,” Kahi said before leaving.

 

 

 

Jaejoong circulated inside the cafe at least five times before approaching his target. He was having a debate with himself whether to go for it. He eventually convinced himself that he was doing no harm to anybody and he was just befriending a customer.

 

“Excuse me,” Jaejoong finally spoke to her

 

“Yes?”

 

The two's eyes locked on each other. Jaejoong felt his cheeks heat up once more.

 

“If I'm not mistaken, this is your first time here,” he continued

 

“Yes it is,”

 

“I see that you've enjoyed our coffee and pastries. If I may, I want to suggest you give our books a chance as well,”

 

“Please do sit and tell me more.”

 

Jaejoong did not expect the turn of events. He was only expecting small talk, but it seems like she is interested to hear about details.

 

“I am Kim Jaejoong by the way,” he introduced himself

 

“You can call me Dara,” she flashed a smile at him

 

How eerie. She feels so familiar. Could you even say that to describe someone?

 

“Unique name, Dara,”

 

“Thank you,”

 

“As I was saying, um, a lot of the books here are written by my friends. Some are even written by Yunho, my business partner, and I,”

 

“Oh wow. This isn't your ordinary bookstore huh,”

 

“We wanted to add a personal touch,”

 

“So not only are you a business man but also a writer. Fascinating. What book of yours would you recommend to me?”

 

“It's weird coming out of my own mouth,” he laughed shyly

 

“Oh, don't be. I want to know,”

 

“Since you insist,” he nervously laughed, “I am fond of my poem book called To My Princess.”

 

There was a change of expression in Dara's eyes. One filled with mixed emotions. It seemed to strike her in the heart. She broke eye contact with Jaejoong and took a sip of her coffee.

 

“I'll come back another day to check it out. For now, I have to go,” Dara told him

 

“Oh, um, okay then.”

 

Dara stood up and bowed to Jaejoong. He also stood up feeling uncomfortable that he was sitting down while she was bowing to him.

 

“Thank you for spending time with me,” she said.

 

Jaejoong froze. He felt deja vu for some reason. This has happened before, he thought. Before he could give a proper response to Dara, she was already out the door.

 

I'm so sorry for hiding, Jaejoong. Til next time.