Too Late

The Charm of a Goddess

Pairing | KrisDara
Requested by janelle

 

 

Once upon a time, long ago......

 

The chiming of the bells could be heard in the whole town. The residents were already in deep sleep to listen to it. For the fairies, it was time to do their duty. They left their homes and flew around town to check on each house and garden. The town heavily depended on the fairies to help with the crops they were growing. But that wasn't the only role the fairies played. They also watched over the children in their sleep to make sure they were free of nightmares. Most importantly, the fairies ran the town.

 

 

Sandara was one of the few fairies that had the most duties tasked to her. It was thanks to her experience and gifted powers that rose Sandara to the top, but it wasn't easy to get where she is. For there was a human that Sandara held close to her heart that she had lost. Even up to this day, the memory of him haunts her.

 

 

It was a boy with the name of Kris. Many years ago, during Sandara's little beginnings, she was assigned to watch over him. He was no child, but a teenager with the age of 16. However his parents specifically asked the fairies to give him guidance for he was anti-social. He isolated himself from his peers and even his family. Some even found him suicidal, but Sandara saw the light in him.

 

Hello, Kris! I am Sandara, your fairy guide,” she introduced herself

 

Hi,”

 

Are you not excited at all about seeing a fairy?” Dara flew and sat by him on his bed before transforming to her human form

 

No,”

 

Not even a itsy little bit,” she gestured with her fingers

 

No,” he moved away from her

 

Oh come on,” Sandara followed him.

 

It took several nights for Sandara to open up Kris' heart. She realized that it was Kris' parents that were a bit crazy in the head. They were careless and selfish. It might be because they married young. The town didn't bother to dig deep though. To them, the adults are always right and the child, at wrong. In short, Kris was simply misunderstood by the rest of the world, but Sandara knew him, knew him. She knew every little detail about him by heart. But one day, Kris did something unforgivable. Accused of, actually. Sandara refused to believe that he would do such a thing. She knew he couldn't do such a crime but every evidence was pointing to him. While Sandara was away to visit another town due to an uprising, he was accused of murdering his parents.

 

Kris, say something, will you?!” yelled Sandara

 

It won't matter!” he yelled back

 

Just tell me it isn't true, that's all I need to hear,”

 

There's no point.”

 

Sandara burst into tears due to frustration and anger.

 

Why can't you stand up for yourself? Just this once! Your silence means a confession in this town,” she sobbed

 

Because no one will believe me.”

 

Sandara transformed back into a fairy.

 

How could you say that? You have me,”

 

You'll leave me too.”

 

And with that, Sandara flew away heartbroken at the lack of faith he had in her.

 

 

As punishment, the top ranked fairies decided to transform Kris to an elf statue. What's worse is that it was Sandara that had to transform him, because she was responsible for him. He would turn to a real elf at night and was forced to help the other fairies with the grounds. But never did Kris and Sandara cross paths after the incident. Sandara was too scarred from Kris' actions. She thought they had a connection. Deep down, Sandara had fallen in love with Kris back then, even though it was forbidden for a fairy to ever fall for a human.

 

“My dear child, you should take a break from your duties,” the Queen fairy told Sandara

 

“No your majesty, I am fine,”

 

“Are you still grieving for Kris' parents?”

 

Sandara remained quiet because it wasn't Kris' parents she grieved for, but for Kris.

 

“You grew attached to that family. It has been nearly a decade now. Shouldn't you move on?”

 

No response came from Sandara.

 

“You still think the child hadn't murdered his parents.”

 

Sandara vividly remembers the day of implementing Kris' punishment.

 

I can't do it,” Sandara cried

 

But you must,” another fairy insisted

I can't. I don't believe Kris would do such a thing. I know that he can't,”

 

You clearly were not a good fairy,” another spectator insulted her

 

I was! And I am a good fairy! Kris is a genuine person!” she argued

 

Only you think that,” the insulter rolled their eyes

 

You must do it, Sandara. You are bound by the rules,” the Queen approached her

 

But my queen,”

 

You need to prove that you are a good fairy.”

 

Sandara still kept her poise.

 

“Kris doesn't have the heart of a murderer, my queen,” she finally spoke

 

“I am so sorry for the pain you have felt. I wish I could prove Kris' innocence myself but we have no way of doing so. There were no witnesses, no magic that could tell us it wasn't him--”

 

“We could have taken his word,” Sandara interrupted

 

“But you and I know that it isn't enough,”

 

“Then he was bound to be punished either way,”

 

“Sandara,”

 

“Don't bother.”

 

 

 

Sandara flew for hours, before stopping at Kris' old home. She rested at the oak tree hovering over it.

 

“Kris doesn't have the heart to even speak ill of others.”

 

Sandara was deep in thought that she didn't recognize that an elf was in her presence, Kris.

 

“Sandy,” he called out her nickname after years of not even mentioning her

 

Sandara's heartbeat skyrocketed but she kept a poker face on.

 

“Kris,”

 

“Long time no see,”

 

“So casually,”

 

“Would you rather it be a bad meeting?”

 

“Maybe not meeting at all is what I prefer,” she spat, obviously still hurt

 

“I don't believe that,” he walked towards her but she began to flap her wings, “Please don't go,”

 

“Why?”

 

“I have missed you,”

 

Sandara scoffed at his answer.

 

“You take me as a fool,”

 

“No, I take it that you care for me,”

 

“Why do you say such things?”

 

Sandara was enraged. These were the words she were praying for when he was accused of murder.

 

“I made a mistake,” Kris admitted

 

“You are a decade too late, Kris,”

 

“I'm sorry I didn't believe that you would stay by my side,” he ignored her fury, “I was young and stubborn and scared. I thought you would give up on me eventually and I didn't want to witness it,”

 

“Well, I guess you are right. I did give up on you. I have given up on you. These words you speak of are nothing to me now. Like I said, you are a decade too late,” she flew away

 

“But I love you...” Kris said.

 

Sandara was buried deep in her anger and misery that she couldn't find the heart to forgive Kris so easily. He was a decade too late. The fairy he knew, she was long gone.


 

Author's Note

Sorry it took me so long. I've never written a fantasy story before. I hope this is okay though :3 I tried posting it last night but the internet would not cooperate ;~;