Unresponsive Part 3

TaengSic: The Unbreakable Collections

Jessica gripped onto Krystal's jacket as she buried her face on her younger sister's shoulder muffling her sobs, the doctor's last few words hit her so hard breaking her heart into little pieces.

 

*********

 

The four of them remained frozen on their spot staring at the wide eyed Taeyeon lying in bed. A minute or two later Seohyun's the first one to break out of trance as she hurriedly ran outside to call for the doctor.

 

Jessica took slow steps. "Taeyeon-ah..." She slowly called out as her hand reached out to touch Taeyeon's face but before she could even touch her the door behind them busted open, loud footsteps were heard before Jessica felt herself being pulled away from Taeyeon. The latter was surrounded by doctors and nurses checking her vital signs while Jessica, Hyoyeon, Seohyun and Krystal stood on the side watching everything.

 

Jessica saw one of the doctor's whispering something to one of the nurse before the said nurse headed out in a hurry. A minute later the nurse came back with a few more hospital staff as they wheeled Taeyeon's bed out of the room.

 

Jessica panicked when she saw Taeyeon being taken out. Without thinking she grabbed the doctor's lab gown, "Where are you taking her?!"

 

"We need to do some physical examinations on the patient Miss Jung."

 

"Physical examinations? What for? Is Taeyeon okay?"

 

"I can't tell you yet Miss Jung that's why we need to do some examinations on her. We will be performing CAT scan and MRI on Miss Kim so please wait patiently, it won't take that long." The doctor answered before excusing herself.

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica's family along with their closest friends arrived thirty minutes ago. They all waited patiently outside of Taeyeon's empty room, waiting for the doctor to come back with the result, they pray to God that this time they receive a good news.

 

Everyone looked up when they heard footsteps coming, the doctor was surprised when she was immediately surrounded by Taeyeon's family and friends and started asking questions left and right, they only stopped when Taeyeon's body is wheeled back inside the private room.

 

"How come she's still in the same state? How come she's not..."  Jessica gulped. "...blinking."

 

The doctor sighed. "Let's go inside and I'll explain everything." She said and ushered them inside the room. The doctor was silent for a while reading Taeyeon's results. She checked the machines beside Taeyeon before finally speaking.

 

"As all of you know Miss Kim Taeyeon's been in coma for more than three months already. What happened a while ago where she opened her eyes is a disorder of consciousness in which patients are in a state of partial arousal rather than true awareness."

 

"What does that mean Doc?" Taeyeon's dad asked.

 

"It means she's still not awake."

 

"You mean my daughter is..."

 

The doctor sadly glanced at them. "Miss Taeyeon is in a Vegetative State."

 

Everyone gasped loudly, some of them started crying. Jessica on the other hand just stood still, staring blankly at the unblinking girl in bed.

 

"When a patient is in this state...despite Miss Kim having her eyes open she's actually showing no sign of awareness of oneself and the environment she's in and cannot interact with people. Language comprehension and expressions are also absent." The doctor added. "There are some reflexes patients in this state might do in the future. Her eyes may water and produce tears, some patients may frown or smile, swallow, chew, yawn, just to name a few and these may be misinterpreted as a sign of awareness but it's just part of being in the Vegetative State.

 

"Is s-she..." Jessica's mom wasn't able to continue and started crying too.

 

"S-so she's gonna be in this state...forever?" Taeyeon's mom still not grasping what's happening to her daughter.

 

The doctor shook her head. "It's possible for her to recover. For these type of cases it'll unlikely take a month or two to recover but since Miss Kim was involved in a severe accident her brain damage is traumatic and might take 12 months or even longer to recover. And if she would recover, a huge part of her body might be disabled. Only 3-5% of the patients recover the ability to communicate and comprehend properly; no patients regain normal function."

 

"No no no..." Taeyeon's mom shook her head in disbelief. "This can't be happening to my daughter. Why is this happening to my Taeyeon?!"

 

"If the vegetative state continues," They all looked up only to see the crest fallen face of the doctor. "most patients die within six months of the original brain damage and Miss Taeyeon is already on her third month...I-I'm so sorry Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

 

"My princess..." Taeyeon's father who have been strong all these days, weeks and months finally broke down in tears hugging his wife.

 

*********

 

A crying Krystal looked at the people around her noticing all their tears stricken face, she pulled her sister even closer and hugged her tight. Her older sister crumbled in her arms. Krystal could feel her heart breaking for her Taeyeon unnies parents who she considers as her second parents, for her own parents who considers Taeyeon as their very own, for all their friends who adored Taeyeon like no other, for her sister who she knows is dying on the inside and most of all she feels her heart breaking for the lying girl in bed, her Taeyeon unnie, who she have always considered as her second sister.

 

"Taeyeon unnie...please...come back to us...to Jessi." She whispered looking at her sister's girlfriend lying in bed. The only difference now, she had her eyes open but she's still in the same state. Unresponsive.

 

 

*********

well there goes part 3. i hope you guys enjoyed this.

and guys if i made some mistakes or some wrong infos about the coma thingy please spare me that's just how far my knowledge about the whole thing goes ^_^