Unresponsive

TaengSic: The Unbreakable Collections

Jessica sighed for the nth time that day as she looked at the unmoving Taeyeon lying in bed, machines chiming and tubes clung her pale body.

 

It's exactly 40 days since the horrifying accident.

 

Taeyeon and her were supposed to go out on a date that day. Taeyeon called a while ago telling her she'll arrive in 15 minutes but an hour have passed and still no Taeyeon arrived. A few minutes later she received a call from an unknown number only to be informed that Taeyeon's car got hit by a van driven by a drunk driver. Jessica's world shattered since then when the doctors relayed to her that Taeyeon had little chance of waking up, much more surviving. But here she is entering her 40th day, still breathing but with the help of a breathing apparatus.

 

"Taeyeon-ah how long are you gonna sleep? You always call me the sleeping beauty but here you are sleeping for more than a month. Are you that sleepy?"

 

Jessica bit her knuckles as she try not to cry infront of the unresponsive Taeyeon. She gripped Taeyeon's hand, hoping and wishing she would respond and grip her hand back, but she remained unresponsive.

 

"Taengoo I still owe you a trip to Tokyo disneyland, remember I lost that bet we had. You know the bet that if you grew three inches in a month I would bring you to Disneyland and let you ride in every single ride you want and much to my surprise you actually did grow 3 1/2 inches in less than a month. Wakey wakey so you can claim your prize now."

 

Jessica rubbed Taeyeon's cold hand trying to keep them warm.

 

"You also promised to bring me to that coffee shop you recently discovered that serves the best Red Velvet cake and Cookies and Cream smoothie."

 

She combed Taeyeon's bangs to the side.

 

"You know I miss receiving kisses on my forehead."

 

Jessica said as she rubbed Taeyeon's forehead. She then rubbed Taeyeon's arm.

 

"I miss the feeling of being wrapped in your arms and feeling your warmth."

 

Jessica quickly wiped her face when the first tear fell.

 

"Are you really that tired Taengoo? Should I just..." She choked on her words. "...just let you go? Should I do that and let you go from this misery and let you rest peacefully?"

 

Jessica covered to not cry.

 

"Taengoo...baby please...please wa-wake up. I-I can't do it. Call me selfish but I can't let you go Taeyeon-ah. Baby...please...I'm begging you...do-do not leave me. I need you Kim Taeyeon."

 

Jessica stopped holding back as she let her tears fall. Imagining a world without Taeyeon scares her to the core. She doesn't want to live a world without her. She needs and wants Taeyeon with her for her to keep on breathing.

 

Jessica continued to cry her heart out, she didn't even hear the door behind her open. A hand touched her shoulder.

 

"Miss Jung, visitation hours are over, you can visit Miss Kim again tomorrow."

 

Jessica looked up to see Taeyeon's personal nurse before giving her a small nod. She stood up and cupped Taeyeon's pale face. Feeling her warmth gives her comfort that Taeyeon is still here with her, fighting for her life. She leaned in kissing Taeyeon on her lips. Just like she always does for the past 40 days she prayed that Taeyeon would respond to the kiss and kiss her back. And just like for the past 40 days Taeyeon stayed unresponsive.

 

40 days Taeyeon's been lying in bed, unresponsive.

40 days Jessica's battling to herself whether to still hold onto Taeyeon or just to let go of her.

 

 

*********

watched a tear jerking movie and it gave me inspiration to write this.