Another blast from the past...

Here without you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye woke up early that Saturday morning. Saturday is the most anticipated day for most teachers as they get to have day off for two days before Monday re-appears. She promised herself that she would treat herself to a long hiking at the hill nearby her place. Yu Bi was not next to her. Shin Hye predicted that if she were to walk outside of their room, she would find Yu Bi sprawled on the couch with the tv switched on as she spent the night catching up with her idols’ concert. Shin Hye pushed her blanket away from her as she got up from her bed. She made her bed, changed into her hiking gears and headed to the bathroom to freshen herself up. As she stepped out of her room, she saw as she predicted her ex-sister-in-law sprawled on the couch. Shin Hye just shook her head and made some coffee before she headed to the bathroom.

***************

There were not many young people around when she arrived at the hill. She saw some elderlies, a father and his sons, a couple and two men whom she sensed not a settler around the area. She put her bag pack on, ensure her car was locked and headed her way to the foot of the hill.

She always enjoyed being active back when she was younger and now being all single with no one to worry about made her able to rejoice the joy of hiking all over again. Being in Jeju Island, the air was way fresher than it was back in Seoul. She put on her earpiece and played her favourite tune. She walked her way and hiked up the slopes of the hill.

She finally arrived on the top, she surpassed some other people who went ahead before her.

She chose a spot where there were not many people around since she was one of the very first to come up to the top. There weren’t that many people around. Shin Hye took in deep breathe to enjoy the fresh air.

“Ahhhhh!!!! Charatta!!! Well done!” She told herself. She then settled down on a huge log and took out her thermos of coffee and sandwiches. She took out her tablet as well and settled herself well. She put on her ear piece so that she could listen to her favourite music while doing her work.

**********

“Why are we here again?” Kim Bum asked Ill Woo as he took his bag pack and put it on.

“A friend said, this hill has the best view. I was curious. Beside, we need to exercise. We haven’t had our hiking trip for a long time.” Ill Woo explained as he settled his things and locking up his car.

“Min Ho?” Kim Bum asked as he stabilized his bag pack well.

“Oh… He said he had to settle things back in the city. Besides, he has Min Ha to look after. Since his younger sister has been exiled, he has no one he could rely to.” Ill Woo said as he secured his bag pack.

They started to walk together as they were talking. A lady passed by them.  Kim Bum quickly noticed her and tried to make out who she was. He felt like he had seen her before but could not recall where. He nudged Ill Woo who was still talking about Min Ho and his family.

“Wae?” Ill Woo asked as he felt Kim Bum nudged him.

Kim Bum pointed out the lady who had just passed by them and started climbing the hill effortlessly.

“Yah! Why is your eyes only focused on women?” Ill Woo said as he thought Kim Bim was pointing out at the lady because she might be of his interest.

“Ani… She looks familiar.” Kim Bum said. “But I can’t recall where I have seen her.”

“Could it be someone you dated before?” Ill Woo speculated.

“No way… I have never dated anyone from here at all.” Kim Bum denied. “She really does look familiar. Like I have seen her before. Could she be our classmates in Jeaguk high?” He wondered more.

Ill Woo just shrugged as he didn’t have a clear look at the lady. “She might be a native here since she seemed to know her way up.” He observed her. “Let’s follow her lead so that it’ll be an easier hike.” Ill Woo said as he walked to trail her. Kim Bum followed his lead. As they were out of shape, they soon lost track of the lady whom they wanted to use as their guide to the top. They had to rely on the track guide along the trail and some people that they met along the way.

“Finally!” Ill Woo said as he was huffing for air. They reached the top of the hill. There were several individuals around the top. They all were doing their own thing. One man was with his camera taking pictures from the surrounding, a couple of elderlies were doing their exercise while gossiping, a father and his sons sat and talking to one another while the father prepared food and drinks for his sons and a lady sitting on the log by herself comfortably as she was doing something on her tablet and enjoyed her sandwiches as well as her coffee.

“That’s her.” Kim Bum whispered, “The girl I told you about. I am pretty sure I saw her before.” Ill Woo narrowed his eyes to the lady trying to recognize her but he was just not sure. It’d been quite a long time for them to remember. They left Jaeguk nearly 7-8 years ago. Both him and Kim Bum decided to continue their study abroad. Ill Woo went to USA to continue his study as a Psychologist and only got back recently years. Kim Bum who decided to study in Australia for his course as a lawyer also got back recently but one thing about Kim Bum was that he remembered girls well. He could probably be right.

“You could be right but you could also be wrong. There were lots of girls back in Jaeguk High. How would you even remember?” Ill Woo asked as he sat down on the dirt settling himself near a big tree so that he could lean on it. “Besides, everyone in Jaeguk High were posh. This woman speaks nothing being posh. She looks simple and definitely don’t like fashion.” Both of them were inspecting Shin Hye who was wearing comfortable cloth. Nothing matches at all, everything speaks function. She had her cap on to cover most of her face, she hated it if people stared at her. The only way for her to remain anonymous was to look uninteresting.

 

Not long when they arrived, a group of young ladies also appeared from the other side. They were probably using a different trail. Kim Bum was immediately alerted and it didn’t take him that long to be hitched by the girls. Ill Woo shook his head seeing his friend’s weakness. He enjoyed the view and looked around as he ate his food that he packed and drank his drink.

It was a breath-taking view from the top. He could almost see the intricate detail of the outline of the town. He could see the hotel that he and Kim Bum stayed in. They planned to go back to Seoul the next day. What his nurse recommended him was right. Indeed, this particular hill had the best view that it could offer and Jeju’s air was just so refreshing.

His attention got back to the lady that Kim Bum made a fuss about. The lady stopped doing her work on her tablet and was looking at the view in front of her as she was humming a song. She sporadically would take a bite of her sandwich and sip her coffee and then got lost into her own world. Being a psychiatrist, Ill Woo could see the pain from her eyes. It was as if she was reminiscing about her past or remembering someone she missed the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter