Just Be Friends

Something only we know.

Present Day

 

“Really?” I ask, with a sparkle in my eyes.  After all this drama, the only thing I want to know is that we are still together, as friends.

 

“Of course.  We are friends”

 

“Sorry, I just feel like crying.  You don’t deserve this”

 

“No please, don’t cry or I am going to cry too” I look at him with extreme curiosity. “What? I am smiling but the pain is here” He says pointing at his chest. “Not all days you get rejected for the Nation’s goddess. I guess I am getting used to it”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Come on, I confessed my feelings to you before”

 

“When?”
 

“Are you for real? Im Yoona, you never listen to me”

 

November 2011

 

“Oppa, I like you too” Yoona answered.  Jonghyun opened his eyes. “You are a great guy, how could I not like you? Let’s promise to be friends” Yoona raised her pinky and looked at Jonghyun with a smile on her face.

 

“What?”

 

“Oh, sorry, are you too manly to do this kind of things? Then, what about a handshake?"

 

“No, I mean, I think you didn’t understand.  What I was trying to say is that I really like you”

 

“Jonghyun ssi, you are really sweet.  I like you too” Jonghyun was upset.  He didn’t know if Yoona was politely rejecting him or if she was really cluless about his feelings.

 

“Ok Yoona, let’s go” The driving back home was silent.  Yoona fell asleep after 5 minutes of not saying anything.  She was really tired. When they arrived at Yoona’s dorm, Jonghyun looked at her.  She was beautiful even sleeping.  He smiled to himself. “Aish, you made me feel excited for a second, but even that I found it cute, I must have really fell for you” Jonghyun tought to himself.

 

“Stop looking at me” Yoona said while slowly opening her eyes. “I already know I am beautiful, haha. Just joking Jonghyun ssi.  Aaww” Yoona yawn “Thank you so much for the ride. I will invite you for lunch next time”

 

“Do you want me to go with you to the entrance door?”

 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.  Someone might see you and start malicious rumors. It’s fine.  You have done enough” Yoona got off the car and walked to her dorm.  When she opened the door Seohyun was waiting for her.

 

“Well, how did it go?” Seohyun asked, smiling.

 

“Oh, Seororo, are you awake?”
 

“Of course I am.  I was waiting for you.  I wanted to know about your date”

 

“My date? You mean Jonghyun? It was good.  I had lots of fun.  He is a really caring person”

 

“I see, what else?”

 

“Well, we ate delicious food, we talked a lot and then he taught me to play Genie on guitar.  I feel like I know him better now”

 

“Do you think he is suitable for you?”

 

“What are you talking about? We are just friends”

 

“Well, he didn’t say anything to you?”
 

“He said he liked me as a friend, so stop it maknae.  Aish, love really changes you”

 

“Ok, ok, I am sorry Unnie” Seohyun stood up and hugged Yoona, then both went to sleep, but once in her room Seohyun talked to Yonghwa on the phone. “Overall I think his chances are good, but Unnie told me he likes her only as a friend”

 

“Well, Jonghyun told me she misunderstood his words, but I see him happy.  He said he is going to win the love of Yoona ssi”

 

“Really? Well, hopefully it works.  I gotta go Oppa, I need to sleep”

 

“Wait! Seohyun”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I am so in love with you”

 

“Oppa!!”  Seohyun felt her face blushing.

 

“What? Aren’t you going to say anything?”

 

“Being deeply in love by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.  These days I feel both, really strong and unbelievably brave.  Thank you Jung Yong Hwa for giving me those feelings”

 

“And then you ask me why I love you”

 

“Stop, I am hanging now, bye bye”

 

The next day Yoona woke up early in the morning.  She was eating her breakfast when Yuri came and said hi to her.  Then, they started to speak.

 

“How was it Im Yoona? Your date? “ Yuri asked

 

“Nice.  How was it Kwon Yuri? The party?”

 

“Well, I gotta say YG really knows how to throw a party.  Although Seungri, Hyoyeon and me, well, we were happier than the birthday boy.  He was constantly looking at his watch and then to the horizon.  He disappeared for like 30 minutes, and then he came back with a smile on his face, like if he had refilled his energy.  The most awkward thing was that when the MC asked us to sing a song for the birthday boy, instead of choosing a normal birthday song he asked us to play Genie, and while we were singing he kept clapping and smiling, I think he spent rest of the night stuttering the song.  He must really be a fan of us don’t you think?” Yoona dropped the spoon of her cereal, with her jaw open, but she manage to excuse herself from the table and run to her room. She then grabbed her phone and send a text message to TOP.

 

“Oppa, I was told what you did at your party. Can I ask you why you did that?” Yoona was waiting for the reply, but instead TOP called her. Yoona went to the bathroom.  What if one of the girls found that the song was a present she prepared for TOP when she was suposely working? “You didn’t need to call me” Yoona whispered.

 

“Miss Yoona, it is early in the morning, do you never sleep?” TOP yelled on the phone.

 

“Aish! Why are you yelling? Answer my question cause I need to hang up” Yoona was still whispering.

 

“Seems like you are not in the best mood, but it’s ok, I still like you that way, and that’s weird cause I usually hate girls that bring down my mood”

 

“Oh, Oppa thank you” Yoona reply pretending to be grateful. “I will give Bom Unnie that advice, now, answer” she said upset.

 

“To be honest, I was going to tell you this yesterday, but I waesn’t confident enough when I found out you were with Jonghyun.  This was the important news why you had to come to my party. I feel like something important has happened to me. I can’t explain it but I don’t think our meeting was a coincidence. Would you believe me if I say I have fallen in love with you? Yes, love.  Each morning I wake up with a smile on my face, knowing the day can be ten times better if I can get to even listen to your voice. I knew it, I knew it the moment I opened the car’s door and saw you playing with your cellphone. Never before I believed in destiny or things like that, but now I do. Do you have anything to say?”  The call was filled with silence.  “Miss Yoona, are you there?”

 

But no one answered.  Yoona hang up before she could hear TOP’s words because her manager was already waiting for her at the entrance, and Yuri had come to tell her.

 

HELLO! I KNOW SOME OF US RECEIVED BAD NEWS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED WITH JESSICA AND SNSD. BUT I JUST HOPE THE NINE GIRLS CAN GO TROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME, AND STAY AS FRIENDS AT THE END.  HAPPINESS SHOULD BE OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY IN LIFE, SO MY WISH IS THAT, SINCE GIRL'S GENERATION HAS MADE US HAPPY FOR SEVERAL YEARS, THEY FIND THEIR OWN HAPPINESS TOO.