Genie

Something only we know.

Present Day

 

“How are you?”  It’s the only thing I say after a long silence.

 

“You look beautiful today” is your answer, you ignored my question. The next thing you do is to check you watch. “It s exactly twelve o’clock, your favorite time.  You told me you like it because it’s the start of a new day”.

 

“Maybe this day it’s not going to start well” I say quietly.

 

“It doesn’t matter.  I have my genie next to me.  I will ask her to make a good day today”

 

“What?” I ask surprised, opening my eyes, and for the second time I see you, and you keep smiling.

 

“How come I do remember everything you say but you don’t remember it?  The first time you and I went out, you told me you were my genie”

 

 

October 2011

 

After that night Yoona kept in touch with both, TOP and Jonghyun.  She started to develop a musical taste similar to TOP´s.  After hearing Gorillaz she asked her sunbae for another group she could listen to.  TOP was really pleased.  He sent her another list of artists he liked.  With Jonghyun the story was different.  They often shared messages about how they were doing and how they felt with their busy schedules.  Their friendship grew rapidly.

 

Around mid October Yoona received fantastic news.  KBS had chosen her to be the host of the 2011 KBS Entertainment Awards.  The first thing she did was to tell the girls.  They were very excited too and promised to cheer for her on that day.  The next person to congratulate her was her father, followed by her sister.  Then, she shared the news with her best friends Yoonchun and Yunho, Leeteuk and Heechul and also Jonghyun.  The first person to reply her was the boy from CNBlue.

 

 

“Hello Yoona-ssi I just received your message.  First of all, CONGRATULATIONS. A Little bird told me how much you like to eat, so I was thinking the only thing I can give you that you sill don’t have is my precious company haha. Please accept my invitation for dinner.  I have a lot of time these days.  Give me a call.

 

Jonghyun”

 

Yoona laughed really hard after reading Jonghyun’s message. Yuri, who was drinking tea in the kitchen, rushed to the room after hearing Yoona.

 

“Im Yoona, have you lost your mind?” Yuri asked examining her carefully.

 

“Come on darling, I thought you already knew I was crazy” Yuri laughed, she loved Yoona’s sense of humor.

 

“But seriously, what happened?” I heard you from the kitchen, do you know how far that is? Come on, share the news” Yoona, still smiling, showed Yuri the message.

 

“I don’t get it.  What do you find funny? The little joke on the message or the fact that he is attracted to you?” Yuri . 

 

“Wow, wow, what?  This is just an invitation for dinner.   He is becoming a good friend of mine.  Why do you think he has a crush on me? No way”

 

“Please Yoong, I’ve seen the way he looks at you, that night, at the party, and what I saw too is the way you smiled at him.  Even a blind person near you could feel the chemistry between you two. Are you going to deny it?”

 

“Maybe I smiled more than usual, but just because I felt really comfortable.  I think if I liked him the moment could have been awkard, just like when Taeyeon talked about her first date with Junsu oppa”

 

“I don’t know Yoong, it is different for everyone…anyway, are you going to accept his proposal?”

 

“Just see…” Yoona grabbed her from from Yuri’s hand and dialed Jonghyun’s number.  He didn’t answer, so she left a voice message.

 

“Hello Jonghyun-ssi.  This is Yoona.  Im Yoona from SNSD. What am I saying? I’ll go to the point before I said more nonsense.  About the proposal, I would love too, the only problem is I will be busy these days, I hope we can find a day that works for both. By the way, what the little bird didn’t tell you is that I love gifts too.  I’m not suggesting anything… well this is too awkward now.  Bye, I’ll wait for your reply. Oo, just so you know, I am not under madication or anything, this is how I usually am”

 

Yuri looked at Yoona and hugged a pillow while trying to control her laugh.  “And you say you don’t like him…” Jonghyun’s response came faster than Yoona and Yuri tought.  Almost one minute after Yoona left hers.

 

“Yoona-ssi, you are indeed funny.  This is Jonghyun.  What kind of food do you like? I was thinking we could go somewhere not really expensive or luxurios.  I want to have a simple dinner.  I think the place is not as important as the person who is eating with you. So we can go somewhere quiet and dress comfortably. Please call me when you received the message, I promisse this time i will keep my cellphone next to me, waiting for your call”

 

“You are so lucky. He likes you too” Yuri said right after reading the message.

 

 

November 2011

 

On November 1st, after several unsuccessful efforts to find a day for their date, Yoona and Jonghyun realized the “D-day” was on November 4th.  The location was on a small, unknown homestyle restaurant outside Seoul that was one of Jonghyun’s favorite places.  He reserved the restaurant for a complete day, to make sure that no one woull notice they were going out for dinner.  He didn’t want to cause trouble especially because Yoona was chosen as the host for one of the most important ceremonies of the year.

 

On November 3rd, while the girls were resting in their dressing room after a comeback presentation, a member from the staff came with a blue envelope.  Sooyoung opened the door and received the card that had Yuri’s name.  All of the girls were curious, so Yuri had no choice but to open the envelope right away.

 

“Hello Yurisshi, this is your handsome classmate Seungri.  I am writing because tomorrow is our hyung birthday and we are organizing something for him and SNSD is welcome to the party.  We are actually waiting for you to come (my hyung Taeyang is the most excited). This is a secret birthday party, but if you want to bring more people that want to have a good time, you are welcome.  Please confirm.  Your handsome, lovely, funny, reliable, …, classmate

 

Seungri”

After Yuri read the letter out loud, all of the girls were laughing.

 

“Is he always like this?” Asked Hyoyeon wiping tears from her face.

 

“Oh no, he is worst” Yuri replied smiling

 

“But he is not joking.  Tomorrow is Choi Seung Hyun birthday. Are we going?” Sunny said.  Suddenly all of the girls, excep for Yoona and Seohyun looked at Taeyeon.

 

“What? Do you really want to go?” She asked with a choking expression “You were just telling me how tired you were and …”

 

“Come on Taengo.  I heard YG celebrations are the best” Tiffany, who was the only girl allowed to interrupt the lider, said.

 

“But…” Taeyeon wanted to say no, but all of her members were looking at her with puppy eyes “Ok, but the next morning all of us, except for Yoona who has practice for KBS Awards are going to wake up really early to go to the practice room, alright?”

 

“Yes” Again, all the girls noded, excep for the maknaes.

 

“Wait, are you two going? You don’t seem interested” Jessica pointed Yoona and Seohyun

 

“To be honest, I don’t feel like going. I have a lot to do and I aven’t sleep properly these days, so I think I’ll pass” Seohyun said.  

 

“What about you Yoong?” Jessica raised and eyebrown

 

“Let her be Jess, she might want to rest” Taeyeon winked at Yoona. Actually, Taeyeon Yuri and Seohyun were the only members that knew about Yoona’s date.  Yoona had told Taeyeon about it cause she was the leader, and Yoona felt a special kind of loyalty and urge to be honest with her.

 

November 4th

 

Early in the morning and after thinking that she might ruin the surprise party if she talked with the birthday boy, Yoona finally gathered the courage to call TOP.

The phone rang about five times before Yoona could hear TOP’s tired and sleepy voice.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hello sunbae, this is Yoona, the one that loves the music you listen to” Yoona could imagine TOP’ smile, she even heard a little laugh.

 

“So you are finally calling.  Let me congratulate you.  You lasted more than the other girls. They usually call right after they meet me”

 

“They do that? I guess they are really desperate” This time TOP’s laugh was louder.  He didn’t sound like he was sleeping anymore. “No, sunbae, I just wanted to be the first person to congratulate you”

 

“Well, sorry but your mission has failed.  Someone called me at 12:00 am. “

 

“Damn, I will do that next time.  Anyways, at what time you were born? Cause if you were born after 12:00 am on November 4th, then that congratulation does not count”

 

“Haha, Miss Yoona, if you really want to save yourself you have to promise you’ll come to my secret party.  Something tells me it would be less boring if you come” Yoona opened her eyes.

 

“Do you know about your secret party?”

 

“Of course I do. It is impossible for Seungri to keep a secret.  Are you coming?”

 

“Can’t believe he did that”

 

“He always does that.  If we want to have a real secret party, nobody should tell him.  Anyway, answer my question”

 

“No, I… I am so sorry sunbae. I already had something”

 

“Oo, I see.  Then, I guess I’ll see you around” Yoona didn’t know why, but something in TOP’s cold response made her feel bad.

 

“No, wait sunbae.  Mm… thank you for the music.  You have no idea how much it helped me”

 

“That’s nothing Miss Yoona, it’s such a shame you cannot tell me that in person” Again, another answer that hit Yoona.

 

“I can, I will, just, not tonight.  I really do hope you have a wonderfull night, and I am sure you don’t need me there anyways.  You have lots of friends and pretty girls who are going to be desperate to get your attention”

 

“And that’s exactly why you should be there.  But, I suppose my invitation came a little to late…”

 

“Is it really that important to you? I mean, do you really want me to be there?”

 

“Yes”

 

“Then, come out at twelve o´clock.  I know where the building is but I can’t go in cause I have a schedule the next day.  So, do you promise to go outside exactly a twelve o’clock?”

 

“Haha, you are really mysterious, and somehow, you manage to get my attention.  I will be outside exactly at twelve o’clock, waiting for you”

 

“Ok, then… bye bye” Yoona was about to hang up when TOP spoke again.

 

“Miss Yoona”

 

“Tell me”

 

“You are genie for me right?”

 

“Haha, sure.  There’s anything else you wish?”

 

“Yes, indeed, there is.  But I guess I will have to tell you in person.  This is a bit more important so I can’t tell you on the phone”

 

“What? Really? Ok, now I am curious, just go back to sleep Oppa, you have a busy night today.  Im really hanging this time” Yoona hung thinking what could be TOP’s wish.  She was lost in her thoughts when a message from Jonghyun made her go back to reality.  Suddenly an idea emerged. She took her phone and reply Jonghyun’s message.

 

“Jonghyun ssi, do you think you can bring you guitar? I have a big favour to ask you”

 

 

At 2:00 pm Yoona said goodbye to all her members.  All the girls were busy, but Yuri wished her good-luck, Taeyeon and Seohyun adviced her to be careful, and Jessica, hugged her.  For Jessica, Yoona was her favorite donseng.

 

At 3:30 pm Yoona arrived the restaurant.  Inside Jonghyun, wearing a simple white t-shirt, pants and a cap, was looking really handsome.  Yoona saw him and laughed.  Jonghyun rushed to her.

 

“What?”

 

“Oppa, we are wearing couple outfits” Jonghyun saw Yoona, who was wearing exactly the same as his.  He smiled and looked down, with a red face.

 

“Oh, right, my guitar is right there.  Wha do you need it for?”

 

“Oppa, I know the basics for playing the guitar.  Taeyeon unnie has tought me something, but I wanted to know if it is possible to learn a song.  Not a complete song, but the chorous of Genie”

 

“You mean, Genie by SNSD?”

 

“Yeah, I need to learn it before 10:00 pm”

 

“Mm…let me see.  Don’t you prefer if I play it for you? You can sing”

 

“I guess it is impossible then”

 

“No, no.  I didn’t mean that.  I just was giving you options.  But if you really want to play it, and you already know something about playing the guitar, I guess we can learn it in less than two hours”

 

“Really? Good, cause first I want to eat.  I am starving”

 

“Haha, sure, let’s eat.  I ordered everything on the menu, so you can try all, but I’m not sure if your tummy can take it”

 

“Well, you are about to see something pretty special Jonhyun ssi”

 

During ther meal, Jonghyun and Yoona were laughing, talking and enjoying each other company, they loked like a real couple, just having fun, not needing expensive food or crazy fans around them.

 

Yoona had eaten a lot, and Jonghyun was surprised, especially when she asked what the dessert was.

 

“Woo, my mother always tells me to marry a girl that eats well, to make sure I have healthy babies” Jonghyun said while Yoona was eating her favorite ice-cream. She laughed hard after hearing him.

 

“Well, if everything fails, then you have to promise you’ll marry me.  And by that I mean that if we get 30 withouth plans of marrying someone, then, will you marry me?”  Jonghyun was red.  He smiled and nodeed his head, cause he couldn’t talk.

“By the way Oppa, what’s your ideal type? I know a lot of girls, maybe I can introduce you someone” Yoona felt that Jonghyun and her were close enough so she could ask that kind of questions.

 

“Mm… to be honest I never think of that.  I guess I like girls that are smart and honest.  Someone that I feel comfortable with, because you know I can be really awkward sometimes”

 

“So that’s all? Someone that makes you feel comfortable? Is that really your wish?”

 

“Haha, it’s not a wish, I was just answering your question”

 

“That’s a shame because today, I’m genie for you boy. Haha” Yoona sang the last words and looked directly to Jonghyun’s eyes.  He smiled and loked down ashamed but enjoying the sudden feeling of having someone beautiful similing in front him.

 

“Is that so? Then, I have a real wish” He answered, challenging Yoona, finally responding to her glance.

 

“Ok, then, tell me what you need”

 

“I need an advice.  I met someone that I really like.  But I... I’m not sure if I should tell her.  She is my friend and by any means I want to lose her friendship”

 

“Let me tell you something.  I only liked one boy in all my life.  I risk everything and confessed.  He told me he didn’t feel that way about me and guess, we are now best friends.  So, my advice is: tell her.  It doesn’t matter what happens tomorrow cause we only have today, and today you can do all the crazy things you want, otherwise you will ask yourself if she felt the same way about you”

 

“You’re amazing Im Yoona.  And you’re right.  This girl worths it.  I…” Jonghyun was about to confess when Yoona’s phone began to ring.  She was so immersed in the conversation that her tone startled her.  Her first reaction was to look at the number.

 

“Sorry Jonghyun ssi, I gotta take this”  Yoona got up and slowly walked away. “Hey, what’s up Oppa?” Yoona said smiling.

 

“I was thinking about you, and the urge of hearing your voice made me call you” TOP’s honest answer took Yoona by surprise

 

“Well, I guess you got the wrong number.  Instead you are gonna have to listen my awful voice”

 

“Shh! Don’t say that.  You are not allowed to have an awful voice. You’re a singer remember?” Yoona’s loud laugh made Jonghyun wonder whom was she talking with.  He could only look at her back and wish that one day he would call her and her response would be laughing like that.

 

“You’re a really funny Oppa.  Tell me now.  What’s the real reason? Why did you call me?”

 

“Just checking if you are still coming.  To be honest I am so tired, so the only reason I am going to my secret party is because I promised I would see you there”

 

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s the only reason.  But don’t worry I am still going”

 

“Good”

 

“Good.  See you later”

 

“You’re hanging so fast?”

 

“You reminded me I have something importat to do Oppa, so see you later” Yoona hang up withouth giving TOP time to reply.  It was already 5:00 pm and she hadn’t even memorized any chord.  So she ran towards Jonghyun. “Jonghyun ssi, we have to hurry.  I need to go at ten and I still have no idea how to play Genie” Jonghyun looked at Yoona.  He hoped to confess right afer Yoona finished her talk but it didn’t seem romantic enough to tell her how much he liked her when she had such a hurry to learn a song.

 

“Oh, yeah, let’s go” Yoona took a big spoon of ice-cream and put it in then she looked at him with still full.

 

“Sorry, you were going to tell me something important right?” She was chewing.  Jonghyun smiled. How can someone chew ice-cream? He tought.

 

“It’s ok.  I’ll tell you another time”.  After that, they started to practice.

 

When Yoona arrived the building, it was 11:59 pm, but TOP was already waiting, freezing. She rushed to him, with the guitar she borrowed from Jonghyun. TOP was looking in the wrong direction, so Yoona gave him a back hug.  His first reaction was to break the hug, especially because the guitar hit him on the stomach, bus as soon as he heard Yoona’s whisper, his body stood still. His entire skin got goosebumps.

 

“Happy birthday Choi Seunghyun.  You cannot turn around until my song has finished” Yoona slowly broke the hug and started to play the guitar.

 

That's right, I love you

You can always believe in me

Dreams, passions

I want to give them all to you

I'm wanting to answer your wishes

Your goddess of fortune

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for you boy)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your wish)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your dream)

Tell it only to me (I'm Genie for your world)

 

Tell me your wish

Aren't you tired of the boring days

Have you become buried by your ordinary life?

Now stop and wake up

You are my superstar, shining star, super star

 

Release your body into the trembling beating of your heart like a Harley

Now this world is simply your stage

A wave of cheers

In my heart, your body temperature, I'm your path.

Forever your biggest fan

 

That's right, I love you

You can always believe in me

Dreams, passions

I want to give them all to you

I'm wanting to answer your wishes

Your goddess of fortune

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for you boy)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your wish)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your dream)

Tell it only to me (I'm Genie for your world)

 

Yoona finished and claped.  TOP stood in his position.  In the middle of the song he had closed his eyes, he shut the worl to only listen Yoona and the guitar.

 

“Oppa, I told you to come out at 12 o´clock because that’s my favorite time, exactly the start of a new day.  Now you’re 24 years old, and I know we just met each other, but that doesn’t stop me from thinking you are one of the coolest person I’ve ever met, and I wish you to grow even more handsome, healthy and successful than you did this past 23 years” TOP didn’t turn around.

 

“Im Yoona you…you have to be responsible for what you have done” TOP turned around and got closer to her.

 

NOTE: Well, this was chapter 3. Hope you liked.  I read your comments (and first, thank you for sharing your thoughts) and what concerns me the most is that you might be wondering what kind of story this is.  So, to all of you who asked if it's topyoon or jonyoon, well, you will have to discover.  It's up to you to conect the dots and find who is Yoona talking at the beggining of each chapter, but of course when we arrive to the of the story you will know who she decided to stay with.