08.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Despite her recent bad expirience at the supermarket, Soonkyu returned the next day, looking for one person in particular. He was there, which brought a smile to her face. Taekwoon was standing at the counter, his eyes staring ahead of him and his face emotionless. Soonkyu, of only seeing him a few times, had never seen him with much emotion. Even when he had punched Jaehwan, there was only a tiny bit of feeling in his expression. She wondered what happened to make him like this.

As the week went on, Soonkyu continued her visits. Each time, she'd only buy one or two things, each not very important, but she just needed a reason to see Taekwoon. It was a strange relationship. Taekwoon hardly talked to her, but knew she was there and she, she just seemed to melt over every little thing he did. 

On Friday, Taekwoon finally spoke.

"You come here a lot. Why?" he asked, his voice soft, a whisper. He scanned the carton of mik then stared at her. She gulped. There was no way she could tell him the truth. Not now. Not then.

"Having two kids, I need a lot of food." she lied, giving him a smile. He chuckled lightly, showing off a small smirk. This was the first time Soonkyu ever saw him smile, even if it was hardly a smile. She wanted to see him do that more.

"You seem young to be a mother," he commented, though Soonkyu wasn't sure if it was a compliment or not. She thanked him anyway.

"You're sweet." she said, not sure how to respond, but the two words slipped out of . Taekwoon chuckled again. He pushed the milk carton toward her and she took it, taking it as a hint to leave. She wasn't surprised, Taekwoon didn't seem like the kind to like to engage in long conversations. She thanked him again then left, hoping to see him again the next day.

 

Saturday, Minhee fell ill, so Soonkyu wasn't able to see Taekwoon. She needed to care for her daughter. Minjun was out with "Auntie Seo" so she didn't have to worry about him getting sick. It was just a small cold, but Minhee took it much worse, or should I say, exaggerated it much worse. Soonkyu sat with Minhee on the couch, watching either little kid shows or little kid movies. She wanted to step out for some fresh air, but she didn't have anyone to call to take care of the kids.

She thought of Hongbin, but decided against it. He was probably busy with school work. 

Minhee sneezed and Soonkyu took a tissue and wiped her daughter's nose. The young girl looked tired, so she brought her up to bed and let her sleep. Soonkyu soon drifted into a sleep herself.

 

She woke up when a knock at the door came. She stumbled down the stairs, rubbing her eyes and answered it, revealing Joohyun and Minjun, who's face was painted as a tiger. Minjun was jumping up and down, holding on tightly to Joohyun's hand.

"Mommy! Mommy! Auntie Seo took me to the amusement park!" Minjun squealed excitedly.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yes. Please let me hang out with Auntie Seo more often, mommy. Please." Minjun begged, and Soonkyu nodded, asking Joohyun first if she wouldn't mind. "It'd be my pleasure," was Joohyun's response. The mother invited her friend in, offering a drink, but Joohyun had to be somewhere. Soonkyu didn't ask where and let her go, taking Minjun in her arms.

"Is Minhee okay?" Minjun mumbled, yawning. The day at the carnival took a toll on him. 

"She's fine. Just tired from being sick. Are you sleepy, baby boy?" she asked, walking up the stairs with him, holding him tightly in her arms. He nodded. "Well, first let's wash this face paint off." she chuckled, leading him to the bathroom and booping his nose. He laughed lightly. She washed his face quickly and gently, getting all the paint off before bringing him to his room and laying him on the bed. He fell asleep almost immediately. She kissed his forehead then left the room, a proud smile on her face.

 

Taekwoon was there on Monday and they chatted again. And again on Tuesday. And again on Wednesday and every other day of the week. Taekwoon found himself enjoying the two minute conversations with this girl and he soon learned her name. In the end, Soonkyu was asked if she wanted to meet at the park one day. When she went home, Minhee and Minjun had never seen their mom so happy before in their lives.