12.

a day in the park [cancelled]

It was raining the next morning. The whole city was clouded over, everything dark and when Soonkyu woke up, she almost thought it was still night time. Luckily, she hadn't drunk anything had the club last night, but she knew Hongbin, Joohyun and Hakyeon had, a lot actually. At one point she lost count of how many drinks Hongbin was pouring down his throat after he had come back in with Hakyeon. They were both straight faced and silent; Hongbin started drinking again the minute he sat down. Eventually, Soonkyu remembered Hongbin going to the dance floor again with Jinah, but she left soon after, so she wasn't sure what happened afterwards.

She sat up, surprisingly wide awake even if she stayed after twelve at the club, conversing with Joohyun about something she couldn't recall. She waddled to the bathroom, washing her face and brushing her teeth before she heard a shout from her kid's room. She walked in, looking around and saw Minjun and Minhee fighting. Minjun was holding one of Minhee's toys above his head and even if they were twins, Minjun was a bit taller, making it hard for Minhee to reach her toy.

Soonkyu got in between them, getting Minjun to return the toy and apologize to Minhee. He did, but not willingly. She gave him a pat on the head while Minhee only glared at him, then quickly followed her mom. Soonkyu walked down the stairs, Minhee clinging to her jeans and into the kitchen. She made breakfast for her and the kids. They all sat down, eating. Minjun and Minhee were talking about kindergarten, when Minjun asked a question. A question that made Soonkyu feel like she was falling apart all over again.

"Mommy, why don't we have a dad? All my friend's at school have dads, but we don't." Minjun spoke softly, pushing his food around with his fork. Soonkyu swallowed and her face lost all color, immediately giving Minjun the idea that he asked a bad question. "I'm sorry, Mommy. I was just curious." he muttered, feeling upset.

Soonkyu shook her head, "No, baby, it's okay. Y-Your father... he's not around anymore. He left us. I'm sorry, baby." Soonkyu pushed out, feeling tears come back to her eyes as she thought about Jaehwan the day before, yelling at her and lying in front of Taekwoon, just like that. She sighed then took the empty plates to the the sink, washing them off.

"Why?" she heard Minhee squeak, joining in on the conversation Minjun started. Soonkyu turned around, going back to the table.

"He was a mean man, sweetie. You're lucky you don't know him." she explained then gave them both a look as to say, "That's enough for today."

 

Minhee and Minjun walked silently beside her, smiling and every now and then pointing out dogs who walked by. Their class had just ended and she decided to take them shopping real quick, since she wasn't able to go earlier. Or maybe it was because she missed Taekwoon. Either way, it was filled a bit more than usual that day and she hardly had time to say anything to Taekwoon when she got to the counter. He said hey to the kids, which he seemed insanely excited to meet. Soonkyu smiled as she watched his eyes light up when he saw the twins. She didn't get to do much more, since there were other costumers behind her and she had to hurry. 

Once outside, Minjun began complaining about how his shoe was untied. Soonkyu shook her head, laughing lightly, letting go on Minhee's hand for a second and putting down her groceries. She remembered when Minjun had asked if he could get shoes with shoe laces, and she remembered telling him only if he learned how to tie them. He said he would, but he didn't. She didn't mind, though, she loved her son and would do anything for him. 

"They're cute," someone commented. Soonkyu smiled, about to thank them when she met eyes with the person. She grinded her teeth, wondering why the world hated her so much, making her continue running into this . 

"Goodbye, Jaehwan." she hissed, quickly grabbing her children's hands and beginning to walk away.

"Why? They're my kids too." Jaehwan smirked. Minhee and Minjun both stopped, turning their heads and looking at Jaehwan, their mouths hanging open.

"Daddy?"