16.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Joohyun had congratulated Hongbin upon hearing the news that he and Hakyeon had gotten together, but she was upset. Her smile faded as soon as she hung up and wondered how Hakyeon had forgotten about her so quickly. Had he even liked her in the first place? She always thought he returned her exact feelings, if not more, but it must have all been in her head. She decided she'd go out for a walk, but it was cold as it was turning into night, so she told herself to only take a short one.

The streets were slowly emptying out as people were heading inside to go to sleep, or maybe just stay awake all night with a friend or partner. She passed random strangers and wondered what their story was, if they were happy or sad, or maybe if their hearts were broken. Everyone else held emotionless gazes, making it hard for Joohyun to make up things about them in her head, but she still did, mostly basing it off the way the walked, or how they cuddled themselves into their coats, moving quickly to escape the cold. She didn't notice the cold--she was too focused on how upset she was feeling.

I shouldn't feel this way. Hongbin was always first to Hakyeon. I was only another person he met. Joohyun thought to herself, her eyes watching the sidewalk as it moved under her feet, or at least, seemed to. She realized she was probably just someone Hakyeon admired, thought was cute, but nothing more than that. It was nothing more than admiration. A long drawn out sigh escaped her lips. She took another step, but with her eyes on the ground, she didn't notice the man speeding down the street, whom she crashed into. She fell onto the ground with a loud thump! and a small squeak. She got up, bowing and apologizing.

"Don't. It was my..." the man trailed off, not finishing his sentence, causing her to look up in confusion. Her eyes met with Wonshik and made an 'o' shape. "Oh, you're Joohyun, right? Hongbin's friend?" he asked, a small smile finding it's way to his well-sculptured face. She nodded.

"Yeah, Joohyun. You're Wonshik." she said in return, her head still turned down a bit, but watching Wonshik curiously. 

"What are you doing out here? Without a jacket too?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at her outfit, which was just a t-shirt and jeans.

"I'm not feeling very well, so I came out to get some fresh air." she explained.

"Didn't know the air of Seoul was exactly 'fresh.'" Wonshik chuckled and Joohyun couldn't help but let out a small laugh. She thought about Hongbin and his relationship with Wonshik and wondered how they became friends, her mind going elsewhere from the current conversation. 

"I guess I should head home. It was nice crashing into you." Joohyun tried at a joke, and it seemed to work as Wonshik burst out into laughter before saying good-bye to her, letting her scurry in the direction of her apartment building. 

 

It was early when Hongbin shot up in his bed, waking from a bad dream and shaking his head, telling himself that that was what it was, just a dream. He couldn't remember everything that happened, since most of it disappeared when he awoke, but of what he could remember, he didn't want to. He crawled out of bed, this time alone. Hakyeon had to go somewhere, so he couldn't stay over, but that wasn't on his mind at that moment. He wanted to get some water to drink, thinking that it might calm his nerves. 

The kitchen was dark, considering that the sun was only just then beginning to rise and Hongbin hadn't bothered to turn on the lights. He knew his way around his apartment well enough that he didn't need to.

He drank the glass of water he had poured for himself quickly, sitting against the counter and staring at the dark wall, which was usually an off-white color but now seemed to be nothing but black. He sighed, setting the glass on the counter carefully, making sure not to drop it onto the floor. Everything was silent until he heard his next-door-neighbor's door open and close, giggling coming from the room over. There was a man's voice and a women's and they seemed to be talking, until something crashed and it went silent. Hongbin stayed in silence, waiting to see if something happened, but nothing did, so he went back to bed, hoping that his dream wouldn't make a comeback in his sleep.

 

Soonkyu didn't like this. She didn't like Jaehwan wanted to see the kids again. Everything about it seemed fishy, as if it was just another way to get to her and destroy her again, just when she had met another guy, someone whom she really liked. She didn't think it was just him wanting to be close to his children, because honestly, that didn't seem at all plausible. 

Jaehwan was a liar and a good one at that. He could lie through his teeth and with a large smile on his face. She had learned not to trust him, not matter what.

She watched him talk, his lips moving quickly and words coming into her ears, but not being processed. He talked and talked, something he was good at, along with lying. His hair that day was unusually messy and he didn't look as devious as he would on most days. It didn't make Soonkyu any less wary of him, though. She watched him with skepticism, scanning his eyes for any flash of emotion that proved he was up to something, but nothing showed up, which concerned her. He couldn't at all be telling the truth.

"I know I've been terrible, as a boyfriend, as a person, to you, but even if we're over, they're my kids. I want to see them sometimes, just for a small bit. Please, Soonkyu." Jaehwan looked at her, his eyes wide and seemily filled with hurt. She shook her head. He hadn't done anythin recently to show her that he had changed, her mind flitting back to the time with Taekwoon, not two weeks ago.

"I'm sorry Jaehwan, but until you prove to me you're a better person now, it's a no. And considering how badly you've been doing, I don't think it's happening any time soon." she snapped and walked away, her head held high. There was no way she was letting her children, her loves of her life, be with that monster, even for a short amount of time. Inside, she knew he hadn't and wasn't going to change.

---

This is short and weird. I don't know.