05.

a day in the park [cancelled]

"Am I supposed to hold your hand?"

"What...? Oh god, no."

"Good, because that'd be weird." Wonshik shook his head slightly, staring out into the street, cars zooming by. His "date" was standing beside him, his hands stuffed into his black jeans pockets and his expression just as empty. The two stood there for a good seven to ten minutes before Hakyeon arrived, a huge smile written across his face. He approached the two, waving, and they waved back.

"You're late." Hongbin commented, his voice a bit harsher than he meant it, but it still came out cold. Hakyeon noticed this and was about to say something when he heard Joohyun call out to him. Everyone's attention turned to the girl who was running down the street, her feet moving quickly and her hair blowing behind her as she ran. Hongbin laughed a bit when he saw she was wearing the dress he picked out and her hair was down, not in a ponytail as it had been earlier. Suddenly, Wonshik grabbed Hongbin's arm and pulled him toward the restaurant.

"Come on, idiots. It's getting cold. We're going in." he said quickly, going inside with Hongbin tripping behind him. Hakyeon and Joohyun stood awkwardly outside.

"You... look nice." Hakyeon complimented. Joohyun smiled, feeling a blush grow on her cheek, pulling a loose hair back behind her ear. To Hakyeon, she looked better than nice, but that was all he could pull out at that moment.

"You do too." Joohyun responded, playing with her hands, her gaze facing down. Hakyeon nodded, thanking her and then suggesting they go in and find the other two. He joked that they were secretly in love and Joohyun laughed along, walking in beside Hakyeon. If only they knew. 

 

The restaurant was dark and crowded. Lots of servers darted back and forth, bearing smiles and carrying food. Lucky for the group, they had reserved a booth, or more specifically Hakyeon had. He had to call back and get one for four, since Hongbin joined last minute with Wonshik. Neither Hakyeon or Joohyun minded the others, but Hongbin and Wonshik sat awkwardly next to each other, their gazes going elsewhere.

"This was a bad idea," Wonshik whispered to Hongbin, noticing the glances the latter gave to Hakyeon as he talked happily with Joohyun. Hongbin shrugged but Wonshik was right. It was a terrible idea. Hongbin decided to direct his attention to the menu, but it was quickly turned back to Hakyeon when his tan friend burst into laughter at something Joohyun said. They seeemed so happy. Hongbin sighed. He heard Wonshik whisper to him again, "Do you want to go?"

"Yes," Hongbin squeaked, gripping his own leg tightly in jealousy. Wonshik made up a excuse for them both and they left quickly, Hongbin feeling worse than he did when he awoke that morning. 

 

Somehow the two ended up at a bubble tea shop in the mall, which was slowly emptying as the night got later. Hongbin sat, staring down at his full drink, not daring to take a sip. Wonshik poked his hand, which was laid out on the table.

"Cheer up, bro. I'm sure nothing will happen between them." Wonshik said. He didn't know Hakyeon or Joohyun well enough to say that, so he went out on a whim. It didn't seem to work, as Hongbin shook his head, not caring enough to look up.

"Did you see them? I'm so stupid." Hongbin muttered, the last part more directed toward himself than Wonshik. His friend still heard him.

"You're not."

"I went on the date with them, didn't I? I knew I liked Hakyeon too much to stand it, but I went anyway. That's pretty stupid, if you ask me." Hongbin spat, staring up at Wonshik. Wonshik was speechless. What could he say? He only patted Hongbin's hand and continued to sip his bubble tea. Hongbin sighed loudly and slammed his head on the table, causing Wonshik to jump in surprise. 

"Let's go to the arcade. Come on." Wonshik stood up, tugging on Hongbin's arm. Hongbin shook his head, not bothering to lift it. Wonshik pouted. "Norebang?" Hongbin turned a bit to glance at Wonshik, then nodded. Wonshik smiled. He knew that would work. It always did. Hongbin loved norebangs, even if his singing skills weren't exceptional. Hongbin sat up, grabbing his still untouched bubble tea and followed Wonshik out of the cafe. He somehow felt a little bit better.

 

Hongbin belted out the last note of the Park Hyoshin song, surprising Wonshik. The boy's singing skills had improved imensely since last time they visited a norebang. Wonshik clapped quickly, cheering for his friend who took a bow then returned to the booth.

"This is fun." Hongbin beamed, taking a chug of the beer that was on the table in front of him. Wonshik nodded, then stood up, flipping through the book and choosing a song. The minute the music began playing, Hongbin burst into laughter. "You're kidding me, hyung!" he cackled, but Wonshik shook his head.

"Not one bit." and he began singing So Cool. Hongbin laughed the whole song through, clapping like a seal as well. Wonshik finished with a loud screech, then took numerous bows before sitting back down again. Hongbin wiped some baby tears that were forming in his eyes. 

"Hyung, you didn't tell me you were the fifth member of Sistar." Hongbin joked.

Wonshik just shrugged, "Never came up."

They spent the rest of the night doing bad covers of popular songs, sharing drinks and laughs. By the end of the night, Hongbin totally forgot about Hakyeon, about the date.

 

Soonkyu had put the kids early to bed that night, waiting for Joohyun to call her and tell her about the date. Much more importantly, tell her about the mystery guy at the diner. Joohyun called late, around eleven o'clock. Soonkyu was falling asleep, but was immediately awoken by the sound of her phone going off. She answered groggily, still half asleep. On the other line, Joohyun was loud and wide awake.

"Hakyeon is wonderful! We've agreed to meet up again!" Joohyun began and went on explaining the whole date to her friend. She forgot the part where Hongbin had left with Wonshik, because honestly, she hardly even remembered Hongbin leaving, much less hardly sitting down with them. Soonkyu listened quietly, waiting for Joohyun to calm down before asking about the other boy. When she did, she came up short. Joohyun had forgotten. Soonkyu just shrugged, not worried. She'd ask Hongbin, since they did make up earlier that day, when they went to have tea together. They both laughed at how they didn't even remember what the fight was about. 

"I'm glad you had fun." Soonkyu put in. 

"Thanks, Sunny. I hope you get to meet that friend of Hongbin's." Joohyun offered and Soonkyu nodded. She soon realized that Joohyun couldn't see her, so she only replied with a small, "Thank you."

They hung up soon afterwards and Soonkyu went to bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

 

The kids were dropped off at daycare and Soonkyu found herself running errands as she usually did when the kids were there. That, or sleeping. She entered the small supermarket, not far from the daycare center. She grabbed a basket and walked slowly through the aisles, grabbing whatever she needed off the shelves. She almost made it to the end of her shopping trip when she heard a horrifyingly familar voice. She froze, her body stiffening and falling open.

"Soonkyu, is that you?" she bit her lip as she turned and faced the man who had called her out.

"Why, Jaehwan. What brings you here?"

---

I'm a bad author for bringing in Jaehwan right now. Ah, I just love causing in my stories.