02.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Hongbin stood up quickly, grabbing Hakyeon's arm and pulling him up with him.

"Hongbin, what are you--" the tan boy spluttered out.

"I'm sorry, Ms., but we have to go." Hongbin quickly said, rushing down the walk-way in the park. Hakyeon kept asking what Hongbin was doing, but he wouldn't respond until he was sure she was far away. When they finally came to a stop, Hakyeon began to drill him with questions.

"Hongbin, answer me." Hakyeon demanded, staring at Hongbin as he breathed heavily on the bench they had collapsed on. Hakyeon didn't even bother with his melted ice cream in his hand, the dairy product dripping down his hand, leaving a long trail of whiteness.

"I knew that girl. I haven't seen her in years. I think her name is Soonkyu or something. Oh, god." Hongbin's words flew out quickly. Hakyeon raised an eyebrow at him, listening closely, but not catching every word that the other said. "We used to be friends. I remember her kids now. It's been years. We had this giant fight about something. She hates me." Hongbin shook his head, continuing on. 

"Ay, I'm sure she forgot about it." Hakyeon commented, leaning back into the bench. Hongbin shook his head. He was worried that the truth was the exact opposite of what Hakyeon said. It was a pretty bad fight of what he could remember. Tears and punches flew from her side and it ended in the duo never talking again. And they hadn't. He had missed seven years of the twins lives, which he never thought he'd do. Hakyeon continued on, saying that it probably wasn't that bad and if they were really good friends, she probably forgave him. Hongbin sighed, turning on his camera and looking through the photos, most of which were of Hakyeon.

Hongbin felt Hakyeon poking him. He looked up.

"And, Binnie, you owe me another ice cream." he said, his head jerking toward the melted treat. Hongbin chuckled.

"I'll buy you something better, come on." he said, standing up again. Hakyeon followed, throwing the ice cream in the trash and following Hongbin down the walk-way, complaining about his now sticky hands. 

 

Hongbin stared at the large collection of pastries. Hakyeon stood beside him, sipping a banana milk casually, smiling slightly. Hongbin didn't know what to get. Hakyeon had demanded he get him something from the "cute, little bakery" around the corner. Hongbin had agreed, since he'd do anything for Hakyeon. The latter had told him to surprise him with whatever treat, but was secretly hoping to get a cupcake from Hongbin. 

Hakyeon decided that Hongbin looked cute, staring at all the foods as if he was in a candy shop as a little kid. In Hongbin's defense, the bakery was similar to a candy shop. Hakyeon smiled wider, watching Hongbin and continuing to sip his banana milk.

"Can I help you boys with something?" a long haired girl said to the two. Hongbin straightened up, the cashier catching him off guard. Hakyeon lightly chuckled. 

"Um, yes. I would like to get that." Hongbin pointed to a chocolate cupcake behind the glass, deciding on the choice on the spot, still not sure what to get. Hakyeon inwardly cheered. He was hoping that Hongbin would choose that one. They knew each other well, Hakyeon supposed. The lady took the cupcake out and put it in a little box, handing it to Hongbin after he had paid for it. Hongbin gave it to Hakyeon who took it gratefully, thanking him and giving him his best smile. Hongbin smiled back, his dimples on full display. 

"Let's go back to your place." Hakyeon said and Hongbin nodded, still smiling. He's so cute.

 

Soonkyu blinked, watching the two boys rush off. Something about the one with the camera looked familar, but she couldn't put her fingers on it. Minhee seemed to like him, considering she just met him, but maybe, like herself, Minhee saw something familar about him. As she walked home with the kids, she thought about the boy. The only person who she could think of that looked close to him was Lee Hongbin, her old friend who she lost all contact with after a large blow-up with him.

Now that she thought about it, she couldn't even remember what the fight was about. Something insignificant, she was sure, but either way, it had endly pretty badly. She remembered how Hongbin had helped her with the kids and the twins had become pretty familiar with him that it wouldn't be a surprise if one of them recognized him. She sighed, catching the attention of Minjun.

"Mommy, are you okay?" he asked, looking up at his mom, who's left hand he was tightly holding. 

"Yes, sweetie, I'm fine. Just thinking." she responding, smiling down at him. She was tired and told herself that she was going to sleep early that night.

"About what?"

"Nothing, don't worry." she gave him a quick nod and a bigger smile, which seemingly worked, since Minjun didn't say anything else. 

 

She put the twins to bed around seven and went to bed about an hour later. She fell asleep quickly, much to her surprise, but was rudely awoke in the middle of the night by cries. Minhee had awoken from a nightmare and was crying in the room she shared with Minjun. The brother was not at all bothered by the cries and continued to sleep.

Soonkyu offered to let Minhee sleep with her, since she knew her daughter would find it hard to sleep after the nightmare. Minhee went to sleep soon after, but her mother didn't. Soonkyu sat awake, watching her daughter sleep peacefully, her chest moving up and down slowly. She smiled and felt lucky to have such wonderful children. She pecked Minhee's forehead and the latter gave a little smile in her sleep.

"I love you," she muttered. "And your brother too. Thank you for being born."

 

"Taekwoon?"

"You know, my friend from university. You'll like him, Binnie. He's really nice and even though he's quiet, he can be quite funny." 

"Okay. See you then." Hongbin muttered then hung up. He was hoping for a nice, relaxing day with Hakyeon, but now that seemed like it would not be possible, considering the fact that Hakyeon would be bringing along a friend. Hongbin wouldn't say that he was jealous, but he was. He worried that Hakyeon liked this Taekwoon better, so he decided to invite one of his friends along too. Wonshik.

"Hey, Wonshik, are you busy today?" Hongbin asked once his friend answered the phone, his voice groggy and tired sounding. He must have been sleeping. Something he does most of the day. 

"No, I don't think so." Wonshik responded, slowly.

"Wanna hang?"

"Sure." the older of the two replied, asking when. Hongbin told him at twelve, since everyone was going out to lunch. Wonshik agreed and told Hongbin he'd be there. Hongbin smiled. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, as long as Hakyeon paid attention to him, at least a bit.

 

"Sunny, I want you to meet one of my friends." Seohyun said, excitedly through the phone.

"What's his name?" Soonkyu asked, in the middle of washing her hands after cooking breakfast for her and the kids.

"Hongbin." 

Soonkyu froze. Hongbin. Lee Hongbin. 

---

Here, have this very non-climactic chapter.