20.

a day in the park [cancelled]

"Please pick up, Taekwoon." Soonkyu's eyes were wide with fear as she hung up the phone for the nth time. She had been calling Taekwoon continuously after Jaehwan had come to her house, praying that he didn't believe her ex and he would listen to her side of the story. But, it didn't seem like that was going to happen. No matter how many times she called, he wouldn't pick up. After a while, it would just go right to his message machine and Soonkyu could feel the tears beginning to streak down her cheeks.

After a couple more tries and coming up with nothing, she put her phone down and collapsed on her bed, groaning. Minhee and Minjun were taking a nap, so she didn't have to worry about them. She just worried about Taekwoon instead. She was frightened that he had done something, something irrational. But, she knew him well enough to know he wouldn't overreact too much. She was beginning to do just that, though. She ran downstairs quickly, not sure if she was going to find Taekwoon or Jaehwan. She had to do something.

Her jacket was around her upper boady quickly and her shoes had found themselves on her feet as she went running through the streets, her only focus on getting to Taekwoon. Getting to him and telling him the truth. He needed to know, because Jaehwan was anything but trustworthy. His apartment building was familiar to Soonkyu at this point, since she often visited, with or without the kids. The place wasn't very tall, but it was well-kept and according to Taekwoon, the lease was pretty good. 

His door, which was a dark black, stood in front of her, blocking her from the man that lived there, the man who she had come to love. She raised her fist and knocked, once, twice, three times before Taekwoon opened the door. She stared at him. Under his eyes were dark bags, showing his fatigue, and his hair was anything but neat. She gave him a small smile, which he didn't return.

"What is it?" he said, his voice harsher than she had ever heard, even when around Jaehwan. She gulped, nervous and unsure where to start, though she had to begin somewhere.

"Taekwoon," she said, weak and the exact opposite of Taekwoon's recent tone of voice. Her's was soft and filled with sadness, longing. "I'm sorry, Taekwoon. Jaehwan was lying. I would never get back together with him, not in a million years. I'm so mcuh better off without him, and besides," she paused, taking a long, deep breath. "I have you."

Taekwoon only watched her, little of the words going through his head. He was still hurt and anyway, how could he know to trust her? Jaehwan could have sent her to do this, just to build him up, then break him down. When she was done speaking, he spoke up, his eyes glaring into her.

"Go away, Soonkyu. You shouldn't lead people on then only tear them apart, it's not nice." he said, hoping the words would come out meaner than they actually did. He did like Soonkyu, maybe even love her, but his feelings of reject and betrayal overwhelmed him in that moment. He couldn't bear even looking at her any longer. He shut the door just as she opened to continue, beg for his forgiveness. 

She continued to look at the black door for a few minutes before leaving, her heart feeling like it shattered into a million pieces. How was she going to tell Minhee and Minjun that Taekwoon would never be there again? They would be devestated as well. 

The park, not as crowded as it usually would be on a Tuesday, midday, welcomed her warmly. It was peaceful and gave her a chance to piece together everything that had broken apart. Her feet moved without direction as she wandered slowly down the path laid out. Her head was held down and she followed her feet, unable to stop really, too tired and upset. 

Someone clearing their throat made her look up.

"Sunny, baby," she rolled her eyes at the words, meeting gazes with the ex who just seemed to never stop following her. 

"What is it, Jaehwan? I'm not in the mood." she asked, letting him answer, but making plans to quickly escape before anything could happen. He approached her, rising from the bench he had been seated in moments before. His arm made it's way over her shoulders, pulling her cloe to him. She pushed back, slapping his hand away. 

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked, cooing, his voice sweet like vinegar. She stepped back, trying to move as far away as possible from him. What in the world did he think he was doing?

"Baby?" she almost yelled, her voice rising with every word she spoke. "Baby? Are you kidding me?" her hands balled up into fists, her anger becoming more and more apparent in her tone. Jaehwan only looked at her with a raised eyebrow as if to challenge her to say something against him, to prove him wrong somehow. Soonkyu didn't do that, but instead brought her fist to his face, slamming it hard against his noise. A shout of pain came from him as he collapsed on the ground, clutching to his face. Soonkyu her heel and ran, proud but scared, tearing streaming down her face.

 

The phone rang once before Soonkyu picked up, her voice raspy from all the crying as she said, "Hello." Hongbin was on the other line, his voice frantic and worried, asking her what happened with Taekwoon. He had heard from Hakyeon, since Taekwoon told the older one almost everything, that they were fighting, or something of that nature. 

Soonkyu told him everything that happened, from Jaehwan to Taekwoon and back again. Hongbin listened intently, the only sound on the other line while she was explaining came from his breathing. Finally, when she was done, her breath hitched, unable to continue on with the story. Hongbin waited a bit, until he was sure she was finished before he began speaking.

"Can I help? Anyway at all?" he asked, his voice laced with lots of worry. Soonkyu thought for a moment, then asked him if he could get Hakyeon to speak with Taekwoon. It was small but it was the only thing she could think of. Hongbin agreeed, saying he'd help her in anyway he could before the call was ended by them both. Soonkyu stares at her phone, the screen going dark before she clicks the start button, pressing Taekwoon's number and trying once again.