27.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Cheers erupted as the principle of the college stepped back from the stand, smacking his hands together as well, getting ready for the vicee-principle to begin annoucing the graduating students. Hongbin, one of the later students, was watching nervously, playing with his gown and knawing on his bottom lip. Everyone around him looked so happy and excited, while he just looked like he was about to throw up. He could see the back of Hakyeon's head, who was chatting endlessly with the young boy sitting next to him, laughing like the other was a professional comedian. Hongbin sighed, watching closely, and wishing Hakyeon would notice him.

For the entire week leading up to the graduation and after the inccident, Hakyeon hadn't seemed to notice Hongbin in the least bit. None of their other friends even realized the tension between them, but Hongbin wasn't about to confess to everything that was going on.

He could also spot Sanghyuk, who was waving to Joohyun in the back, sending wide smiles and a few winks in her direction. He knew Taekwoon and Soonkyu had also attended, but he couldn't see them in the giant crowd of parents and friends coming to support their kids. Hongbin didn't mind, though; he knew he'd see them when he was called up for his diploma. Hongbin scanned for Wonshik, but he wasn't visible either. Hongbin let out another sigh, for the nth time that day, focusing only on Hakyeon who was leaning against his friend, laughing loudly.

Finally, the vice-principle began calling names. Each student went up quickly, reveiving the roll of paper, bowing then scurrying away, smiles broadening across their faces. Hakyeon was one of the first, running up with a giant smile, covering up everything that was going on internally. He took the diploma (he was quite popular with the kids, so many of the students erupted with loud cheers for him when he ran up the stage's stairs) and thanked the administrators on the stage. Before he returned to his seat, he spun around and gave a little dance. Most everyone laughed, except Hongbin, whose pride was too stubborn to break out a smile. He wanted to laugh, but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

 

Soonkyu raised an eyebrow, watching Hakyeon break into a short dance on the stage, leaning over to Joohyun, who was seated beside her. Soonkyu decided to ignore the fact that Taekwoon had already fallen asleep during the first speech, so she only had Joohyun to complain with.

"You almost dated him." she whispered to her younger friend, who giggled beside her. Joohyun shook her head, watching Hakyeon as he ran back to his seat and the next student was called. Her eyes scanned for Hongbin, who was slouched over in his seat.

"He's Hongbin's problem now." Joohyun commented, her voice low and filled with mirth. Soonkyu let out a small laugh, holding her stomach and trying not to be too loud as to wake Taekwoon (she honestly could care less if she bothered the people around her). They waited until Sanghyuk came up, looking young and prideful as he took the diploma, bowing more than enough times. Joohyun didn't even hear Soonkyu's comment, which was just proof, to her at least, that Joohyun was falling in love with the young man. She put her arm on th arm-rest near the snoozing Taekwoon and muttered a, "That girl is so delusional," not expecting her boyfriend to respond.

"Eh, leave her alone." he said, drowsily, not bothering to open his eyes or even pretend to be awake. Soonkyu shook her head, wondering why this was taking so long.

 

Wonshik could hear Hongbin's loud claps as he walked up to the stage. He looked over into the crowd of students and noticed Hongbin, standing up and clapping furiously. Wonshik couldn't help but chuckle, thinking to himself how cute that "kid" was, not bothering with the fact they were the same age.

It was a whole different expirience on the stage, walking to get his diploma in which he worked so hard to get. All these people, watching with pride and he, himself, filled with that feeling. It was exhilirating, to say the least. The principle congratulated him, handed him the rolled piece of paper and bowed, Wonshik repeating the latter action. He thanked the older man, then the young vice-principle and the others that were standing on the stage.

As he was walking down, he wished that he could go back up on the stage and feel that wonderful feeling of success that he had when he was recieving this prize, or so to say. He wasn't the best student in the school, not at all, but he really wanted to get this, so he worked harder than he ever worked before in his life and it payed off. That's all he wanted.

So, as he walked back to his seat, the wide smile that was already painted on his face, never left.

 

Hongbin's heart began beating widly as he saw the young girl student beside him get up to the stage. He checked his gown, making sure something didn't get on it, not like anything would except dust. His lip burst suddenly, from elonged biting, blood dripping down his lip. He whined softly, trying his best to get the blood off before the girl returned and he had to make his way up to the place where everyone else already had been.

"Lee Hongbin." he jumped in surprise when he named was called, his brain elsewhere. He stood up, pushing past the students who were sitting, a few chatting idly like they weren't even in an auditorium, watching their classmates graduate. He shuffled slowly, moving toward the stage as if he was forced to do this. "Come on, Hongbin." the principle urged him. He moved faster, but only a bit, his eyes pushed down on the ground, nervous around all the eyes watching him.

Once on stage, he scanned the room, catching sight of Joohyun, Soonkyu and Taekwoon in the back. He wanted to wave at them, but the diploma was stuffed in his hands and he didn't have time. He gave a weak smile, before catching sight of Hakyeon, whose gaze was glued onto him. They watched eachother for a bit longer before Hongbin broke away and ran back to his seat, not feeling very celebratory.

 

The cafe was filled with laughter, mostly from the people sitting around Hongbin, including Hakyeon. Hongbin had hardly spoken to anyone, not even his boyfriend or his other friends, who were talking as if there was nothing wrong to the quietest man, who never moved his eyes from the coffee in his hands. He heard Hakyeon crack a joke and he wanted to laugh with the others, but he couldn't. He just couldn't.

"Hongbin, are you okay?" Joohyun asked beside him, but he didn't answer with words, only with a nod of his head and a sip of his coffee. "Okay, then." Joohyun shrugged, then went back to giggling with Sanghyuk, who was glowing with happiness, unlike Hongbin, and Hakyeon, to be honest. The latter may have been smiling, but the look in his eyes was another question.

Hongbin was about to open his mouth, building up the courage to say something to Taekwoon, who was staring into him, when the door flung open and his name was shouted across a group of people for the second time that day. Hongbin looked around and his mood dropped even more, if that was possible.

"Oh, it's her." Hakyeon commented beside him, pushed his chair back and left to the bathroom. Hongbin didn't know where to go first.