23.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Hongbin took in a long breath, trying to calm his nerves before he even attempted to tackle the long test that was about to be opened and completed. He took a glance over to Hakyeon, who is sitting next to him, even if the desk were pulled far enough apart to deter cheating. Hakyeon was staring at the front, where the teacher, who was overseeing this, was standing. Many people were talking, trying to distract themselves before the test, but a few were going over things in their heads, Hakyeon included. Hongbin knew Hakyeon was scared he was going to fail, but the latter was too smart to do that.

Hongbin leaned over toward his boyfriend, "Pst. Hyung, are you nervous?" he asked. Hakyeon looked up, frightened by the sudden words. His surprised face quickly turned to one filled with ease, but his eyes told the truth.

"Me? Nervous? Please." the older brushed it off, making Hongbin smile slightly. It wouldn't take a detective to realize Hakyeon was lying, but Hongbin didn't say anything on account that he didn't want to increase Hakyeon's nerves. The older was much more nervous than he. Hongbin chewed on his bottom lip, peering at his desk where a pencil, a piece of notebook paper and a calculator sat, waiting to be used. He looked up, glancing at Hakyeon who's head was lying on the desk. His eyes scanned the room, looking for Wonshik who was taking the test as well. It wasn't hard to find the latter, considering his now-light-blue-because-of-all-the-washing-hair stood out quite well.

Hongbin mentally wished he could call out to Wonshik, say something close to a "Good luck, buddy," but his friend was too far away, and the teacher would shout at him. He kept his mouth shut until he heard Hakyeon's voice call out to his. He turned his head and smiled, "What's wrong?" Hakyeon shook his head, proving there was nothing wrong, but in fact, he was just nervous, bored and scared, so he wanted to talk. And that's what they did, until, a few moments later, the teacher called out that the test would begin. Hongbin gulped.

"Well, here we go." Hakyeon sighed beside him.

 

Joohyun frowned, her eyes darting from price-tag to price-tag. Every deal seemed either too good to be true or the opposite, too bad to be fake. She couldn't decide on what to get as well, considering that she needed some new clothes, but nothing was stylish or appealed to her. She sighed, eventually just leaving the shop at the mall, which was crowded for a weekday, mostly with kids who should have been in school. She rode an elevator down to the food court, not ignoring the loud grumbles that sounded from her stomach. Once again, she was met with the decision as what to get, where to eat. Lucky for her, someone else made that choice for her.

"Joohyun!" the familar voice of the boy she had grown significantly close to in the past week, called out to her. She beamed as she turned around, watching Sanghyuk come running toward her, his lips curled up into a smile just as large as hers. When he finally got to her, he embraced her in a short, friendly hug, as if they haven't seen each other in a while, when it was only a few days ago when they had last seen one another.

(They spoke on numerous occasions after the date, of course. They would have hour long text conversations about nothing and that's exactly why Joohyun enjoyed it so much.)

"What are you doing here?" they both chorused, erupting in laughter afterwards. Joohyun covered while giggling, even after Sanghyuk had finished with the original laughter fit. He invited her to get something to eat with him and they strolled into the food court together, not the most romantic place, but it would do for them. They didn't care, as long as they could talk and be in each other's company. Suddenly, they both went quet, their voices drifting into nothingness. Joohyun looked at her hands, feeling the awkward air floating around them. She opened to say something when Sanghyuk beat her to it.

"Joohyun, will you, uh," he started, playing with his fingers, but his smile was still spread across his face. He shifted, but he was still very confident. He interested Joohyun. "Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked, then laughed lightly, hoping and praying she'd say yes.

"No, I'm sorry, Sanghyuk. I'm not ready, I don't think." she mumbled, looking directly at Sanghyuk who looked hurt. He nodded, but Joohyun continued on, not finished just yet. "I really like you, Sanghyuk, I do. I just feel that I still need more time to get myself together." she explained. Sanghyuk watched her, then a new found determination crossed his eyes.

"Noona, I will do anything in my power to make you love me, be my girlfriend." he balled up his hand and pumped it, giving himself an internal "Fighting!" Joohyun chuckled, hiding once again.

"You can try."

"No, I'll succeed."