04.

a day in the park [cancelled]

Hongbin looked at his watch and sighed. The bus was late, as usual. He wasn't surprised, just annoyed. The line to the bus was long and people were pushing others aside, just for the bus. Hongbin stood in the back and waited. He felt a faint buzzing from his jeans and pulled out his phone, looking at the lit screen, displaying that there was a new message. From Joohyun. He read it then sighed, feeling a slight pain in his chest. He ignored it and continued reading the message from his friend. 

 

Hongbin, your cute friend Hakyeon asked me on a date. I'm going! Can you help me with picking out an outfit. You know Hakyeon well, so I thought I'd ask you. Sunny doesn't know him, so she wouldn't know what he likes. Please! Ily, Bin. Thanks!

 

He didn't want to help, but these two were his best friends, so he texted her back, saying he'd see her in a few and help. He stepped away from the bus line and began walking in the direction of Joohyun's apartment building, his steps growing heavier by the second. 

 

"Hongbin!" Joohyun welcomed him with a large smile and big hug. He hugged her back, but didn't bother to smile. She didn't notice the rain cloud that hung over her friend's head, and instead, pulled him inside and to her room. She had a few outfits laid out on her small bed. They were all cute and matched well with a summer feel, simple and clean. Hongbin looked them over, immediately noticing one he was sure Hakyeon would love. Joohyun looked at him, asking the question that Hongbin expected.

"That one." he pointed to a simple, floral dress. She nodded and gave Hongbin a quick little hug, thanking him.

"Can you help me with my hair?" she asked. Hongbin looked at her hair, which was then pulled up into a high ponytail. He made a face, showing that he was thinking. He remembered Hakyeon saying something about liking girls with long, straight hair, especially when it was down. 

"You should let it down. Hakyeon'll like that." he commented, his voice close to a whisper. Joohyun beamed.

"Thank you so much, Bin. You're the best!" she exclaimed. Hongbin nodded and moved his gaze to his hands. He felt like the worst right now, though. He was letting his long time crush go, just like that, without a fight. He knew it was bound to happen eventually and promised himself he would immediately move on once the first date was over. If it went well, that is and he was almost positive it would. Joohyun was exactly Hakyeon's type. 

Joohyun made Hongbin some kind of lunch, a small sandwich with chips that was accompanied by a soda. They chatted, but just small light chatting, about something, anything, other than the upcoming date that night. Soon, Hongbin felt another buzz in his jeans from his phone. This time the message was from Hakyeon. He held his breath as he read it. 

The text was along the same lines as Joohyun's was. Hongbin told her that he needed to go and help Hakyeon and she nodded, understanding. He thanked her for lunch and went, feeling tears well up in his eyes. He shook them away, though, telling himself that it was too early to cry. He just wished he could somehow be there. 

Then it hit him.

He could double date.

But with who?

 

"Double date?"

"Yeah, I know someone."

"Sure. You can bring anyone along. I won't mind. Just don't try and interfer too much, alright?" Hakyeon said, his voice happy and joyful. Hongbin's was quite the opposite. Hakyeon was rummaging through his closet, looking for some kind of dressy, formal wear. Hongbin was seated on his bed, watching his friend as he looked for some clothes. 

"Alright." Hongbin replied, not sure who he was going to bring. He didn't know many girls and of the ones he did know, he wouldn't take on a double date with his best friends. He sighed. Maybe he should just take Wonshik or someone. Yeah. He'll take Wonshik. He'd understand Hongbin's trouble, since he knew about Hongbin's little crush. Actually, he was the only one who knew about his crush. Hongbin wouldn't tell Joohyun, because he was worried something like this would happen. He was exactly right. "Is it okay if I bring Wonshik?" Hongbin asked, playing with his fingers.

"Whatever," Hakyeon mumbled, his face buried in his closet. Hongbin nodded. Perfect. He texted Wonshik, asking him if he could make it, and as usual, the latter said yes. Wonshik was in college, so most of the time, during the evening hours, he was free, since his classes were in the mornings. Hongbin returned the message with details and the two agreed to meet up. 

Hongbin smiled for the first time that day. With Wonshik there, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. At the same time, being there with Hakyeon and Joohyun could lead to his death. Or something of the sorts.

 

Soonkyu blinked when she heard what Joohyun had to say about the date. To her, it seemed the oddest thing. Then something struck her. What if Joohyun's date were to get that other man's number. She asked her friend and the answer was, "I'll see what I can do, Sunny."

Soonkyu got up and left the house. She needed some fresh air anyway. The nanny would take care of the kids. 

As she was walking, she didn't noticed a hurried figure walking quickly her way. They crashed into each other, her falling down and him almost falling right on top of her. He helped her up, apologizing in his low voice.

"I'm so sor--Soonkyu?" Hongbin gasped, meeting eyes with the girl he had knocked down. Soonkyu returned the same surprised expression.

"H-hey, Hongbin. How are you?" she pushed out, smiling nervously. He smiled slightly, his arm falling to his side. 

"I've been good. How about you?" something about this lifted his mood. His old friend was back.

---

I was forced to write this last minute and it's terrible. Hopefully, you like it.