chapter 1

The Guardian

 

“Master Yesung, she called you,” a man in a dark suit told a young man that was lying on the couch.
            The young man named Yesung stood up and moved his bangs aside. He left the dark living room and walked towards the room at the end of the corridor. He opened the door without knocking.
“Welcome Yesung,” a woman’s voice greeted him as he entered the room.
“What is it Lizzy? You won’t call me for nothing, right?” he said to the point without greeting her back.
A teenage blonde haired girl in front of him smiled, “Of course not, kid.”
Yesung raised his eyebrow when he heard the girl call him kid, “You’re just fifty years older than me Lizzy, so stop calling me kid. What do you want anyway?” he asked in a monotone. The girl sighed.
“I got a vision, Yesung. Something bad would happen.”
Yesung’s body stiffed as he heard the word bad because he knew once she said bad, it would be really bad. He looked straight at her eyes curiously.
“Some people are trying to wake him.”
Yesung’s eyes widened, “Him? Who? Count Dracula?”
Lizzy shook his head, “Not this time.”
“If it isn’t Count Dracula... no, that’s impossible...but...”Yesung murmured to himself, he looked at Lizzy, “Do you mean the South Guardian?” Yesung asked hesitantly.
Lizzy nodded, “Yeah, you should go back to your homeland to prevent his renascence because the people that want to wake him were there.”
“Who are those people?”
“They are the vampires that needs his power to support them in their war, the leader named Jonghyun” Lizzy said as he closed his eyes.
“What war, Lizzy? How can there be a war? Vampire’s clans shouldn’t be involved in the war; we made that rule, right?”
Lizzy nodded, “I don’t get the vision about the war yet, besides that you have to stop it from happening. Indeed, vampire clans shouldn’t be involved in wars but their clans have their own rules. They lived in a different country; it would be more difficult for us to control them.”
“I don’t really understand, Lizzy.”
“As you know, every country in the world has vampire’s clans. We’re here to keep the balance between the predator and the prey. But everything has changed, Yesung. In this modern day, we can’t use our authority to all clans. Moreover, they don’t even know that the East Guardian, which is you, and me still exist. The generation of vampires nowadays, thinks we’re just a mere folktale.”
Yesung sighed. He understood what Lizzy said. Their existence isn’t known for almost all the vampires in the world.
His real name was Kim Jongwoon. He was born almost seven hundred years ago. He lived in the day where the King of Damned, Count Dracula, was alive. Count Dracula was the first vampire in the world. He visited a lot of countries to create terror. He could change people to be a vampire by using the poison in his fangs or he could kill them by all of their blood instead. When he bit someone and inserted his poison, he could turn them into a vampire. But to make a pure blood vampire like him, they need to exchange blood. The non-pure blood vampire that he created couldn’t change other people to vampire until they reached a hundred years of age as a vampire because the poison that was used to change people only produced after they lived more than a hundred years. Before that, they could only kill the people that they the blood from.
According to history, Count Dracula had changed just five people into pure blood. The chosen ones has a pure blood and tenfold stronger than other vampires. The four of them were called The Guardians and the other one was more special. She could get a vision about the future, called The Reader. They had the ability to change people to a vampire with his poison without waiting for a hundred years. Yesung was one of The Guardians.
He remembered the day when his life changed. He was 20 years old. His parents worked as a farmer. He lived in the small village in Korea. That day, he woke up at midnight when he heard screams around of his village. He walked outside his room and looked for his parents. He found them and they walked out of the house in fear; the screaming never stop. He recognized some of the voice. When they stepped out of the door, they were stunned by the sight before them. There were some people that had colored hair. They were foreigners that he never heard. But the things that frightened them was the foreigners bite their neighbors and their blood. He could see a blood covered their faces. He thought that the creature that he faced was a devil.
Then, he shouted as two of the foreigners grabbed his parents. He could hear his parents scream while he couldn’t move because of the fear. Suddenly he felt the air around him froze when another man approached him. He noticed that the man was the leader. He was wearing black clothes. His eyes were as red as blood. And when he smirked, he could see fangs that were covered by blood. He grabbed his hand and sniffed Jongwoon. He smiled, satisfied. Then he lifted Jongwoon away from his village. He ran, almost flew, with Jongwoon in his arms. He brought Jongwoon to the ship which was docked in the seaside. He reached the dock in one jump. He placed him on the floor. Jongwoon was frozen in fear. He thought that his life would end soon.
“Why did you bring a human here, Master?” another man popped out of nowhere asked to man that brought Jongwoon. He was an Asian as Jongwoon concluded, “Can’t you just kill him there?” he continued.
“Don’t tell me what to do, Heechul. Can’t you see how beautiful he is?” the man called Master answered. He smiled to Jongwoon, but all Jongwoon saw was a cruel grin.
Heechul looked down. He nodded, didn’t have a bold to argue.
“You know, i think i will change him as a pure blood. We can’t waste his beauty.”
“But Master!” Heechul shouted in surprised. The master glared at him which made the other shiver.
The man kneeled down in front of Jongwoon who was still frozen in his seat. He leaned forward then placed his fangs on Jongwoon’s neck. He stabbed his fangs into his neck, making Jongwoon scream in pain. The man cuts his own wrist, blood drooled from the wound. He placed his wrist in front of Jongwoon’s mouth and forced him to his blood. Jongwoon choked, the man released him and Jongwoon fell on to the floor. He fainted.