Oppa

One Twist After Another

3rd person POV

"Welcome to the United States of America" were the first words Rachel hear come out of the loud speaker. The words that she hadn't planned on hearing for a while. The time passed and it was now 4:30pm. 

She went on with her first day in America in almost 3 years. Everything was totally unplanned. She didn't reserve a place to stay, so she didn't know what to do. 

Luckily, Rachel was able to find a nice hotel to stay at last minute. She soon fell asleep and prepared herself to meet with her brother tomorrow

Amber POV

*knock* *knock* *knock* I heard the faint knocking on the door from my room. Everyone was still asleep. I looked up at the clock and it was almost 1pm. 

When I made it out of my room, scolding myself for sleeping in so late, I realized that I was home alone, and my members left me here. Just because I'm not a morning person, doesn't mean you can just leave me behind!

*knock* *knock* 

Oh yeah, there's someone at the door..

I finally made it to the door and listened. Someone was knocking, but so... silently.. and gently. I had to put my ear up against the door to hear it better. It sounded like someone was knocking with one knuckle, or a little child was knocking. "Who is it?" I asked. But nobody responded, just more quiet knocking.

Fine, be that way..

I opened the door and saw Yunho, his back hunched over. He looked up at me with puppy dog eyes. "Yunho oppa.. What can I help you with?" I asked him surprised, It was my first time talking to him since Halloween. He looked.. shy. He straightened out his back and cleared his throat. "Why didn't Rachel tell me she was going to the US?" he asked. "She never told you? Damn, that's mean.." I sighed. "I don't understand why she wouldn't tell you. You're a pretty important person in her life, believe it or not. Both you and Changmin oppa are very important to me and her" I explained my feelings. Yunho looked down and smiled. "You guys are very important to us as well.. I'm just sad that I never got a chance to say goodbye to her.."

"I didn't really get to either. When she came home from visiting with a friend, she started packing her bags right away" I confessed. "Do you wanna come in? I kinda just woke up.." 

Yunho shook his head. "Nah, I'm okay.. I should go now.. But one more thing.." he said before leaving. I opened the door again wider and listened. "Does Rachel.. Ever call any of her older guys friends.. oppa?" he asked. "Why do you ask?" I wondered. In truth, Rachel never uses the words 'oppa' or 'unnie'. I assume if she does, then you must really mean something to her. "I was on the phone with her right before she boarded her plane, and she called me oppa. It made me feel nice cause I hear it's a rare thing"

I could feel my eyes widen. It was a rare thing indeed. "Really? I've never heard or seen her use the word 'oppa'. Because she's always with SHINee, and they're all younger than her. And I don't hear her say 'unnie' because I'm younger than her too" I explained. "What about with Super Junior?" he asked. I just shrugged. "Nope, never seen it happen.. You must be really special to her" I assumed. Yunho smiled and blushed. "Yunho oppa.." I blurted out. 

"Do you... Like Rachel?" I asked. He made sure not to look at me and scratched the back of his neck. He seemed like he didn't know how to answer. He turned his back to me and sighed. "I can't.. I'm not allowed" 

And at that, he left. 

Key POV

I looked up at the ceiling fan. Something in my gut was telling me something was changing. I just didn't know what..

"Yah Key! Staring off into space again?" Onew yelled into my ear while I daydreamed. I felt my body tense up at his loud booming voice. "Oh, Hey.. Have you talked to Rachel? Did she land safely?" I asked him. He must know. I, myself, felt rather curious. "I'm sure she's fine" Onew shrugged. 

"You haven't called her? You should" I informed him. "I'd do it for Amber"

Onew just rolled his eyes. "She can take of herself". I couldn't believe him. "You should take her safety into consideration, or someone else will" I muttered. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Onew look at me. "Of course I do! She's my girlfriend! Not yours" he argued. I was about to fight back, but he got up and walked away down the hall. 

I swear.. Why does it seem like Onew doesn't care anymore?

-----

Rachel POV

I just got out of the shower and was about to get ready to head to Chris' house when I got a phone call from Korea. It was SHINee's landline.

"Hey love. Are you asking how I've been?" I said into the phone. "Rachel? It's me.." I heard Key's voice. "Oh.. I thought you were Onew" I sighed. 

"Why hasn't he been talking to me much lately? Have I done something wrong?"

"He hasn't been talking to you? That's strange.. Well.. It's probably cause we're really busy with our Japanese promotions. We're leaving for Tokyo again in a week. I'm really sorry you never hear from us anymore"

"It's okay. I shouldn't disturb his work.."

"Still though. He didn't even call you to make sure you landed safely. I think he should spend any free time he has with you"

"No that wouldn't be fair.. What if he wants to do something else?"

"I don't think so. I'm just afraid he won't be there for you anymore and your mindset will change, or his for that matter"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean.. What if your feelings for each other fade?"

"Why would that happen? You sound so crazy"

"It could happen.."

"Well yeah of course it could happen, but it won't"

"Okay.. But just tell me now.. Is there anything that could mess with your relationship?"

"Distance.. Work.."

"Anyone?"

"What?"

"Anyone? Like a person.. do you ever think you or him might fall for.. Someone else?"

At that moment.. I forgot how to speak..

I can't believe I'm actually taking my time to think about this..

... Taking my time to think about.. Him

"Hello? Noona?"

"I'm here.."

"Anyone?" he asked again

All I could think about was him...

"I need to go. Say hi to everyone for me.." I finished and hung up, not even giving Key a chance to say goodbye..

My head started to spin. I don't like him. I love Onew. But if I keep having to be around him.. What if.. What if my feelings intensify? 

Then suddenly, my phone rang again in my hand... I looked down at the caller ID

"Speak of the devil" I thought. I hit the 'talk' button "Yobseyo?"

"Hey.. Sorry I didn't call earlier.. How was the flight?.. I assume you landed safely." he said in a perky tone. "Yeah. I'm just fine. I'm getting ready to see my brother very soon. So I'll call you back later" I said into the phone. "Okay. Hope everything goes well.. Goodbye" he said

"... Goodbye, Yunho oppa" I said right before hitting 'end call'

-----

Amber POV

I walked into my manager's office to have a talk with her, just as she requested. "Hey.. You wanted to talk with me?" 

"Yes.. I have some things I want to discuss. It's about Noize.. I wanted to know, and we need Rachel's input as well, but how would you like to change your duo's name?" she asked. I just shrugged "Sure I'm okay with that.. We'll think of new names when she gets back from America." I smiled and sat down in a chair. "Is that it?"

"No. There is a second order of business. We thought a lot about it and we've been thinking that you and Rachel can maybe open for TVXQ while they go on their Japanese arena tour in a couple weeks.. Since f(x)'s tour is slowly coming to an end" 

"That would be so cool!" I beamed. 

"Yeah, I know right? You'd be one of the first foreign artists to perform in the arenas that are scheduled!" my manager fangirled with me..

"We're so in! But we need Rachel's permission first right?" I sighed. "Yes, so let's wait for her business in the US to be done with and bring it up then. That's all.. Think of a new name too" she smiled and waved as I walked out.

"This'll be great.. but.." I thought. Then I remembered earlier today

---Flashback---

"Do you... Like Rachel?" I asked him.

"I can't.. I'm not allowed" he sighed and walked away

---End of flashback---

"What if Yunho doesn't want to go with us because his feelings for Rachel will get stronger.?"

"I mean.. We will be spending most of our time with them from then on, right?"

"What if.. Rachel starts to fall for him too?" 

"What if she already likes him? She called him oppa" 

"And that's so odd, and not a normal thing"

"What if she falls out of love with Onew?"

"Rachel and Onew never do spend time with each other anymore.. What if they are both already falling out of love with each other?"

"Rachel never does talk about Onew anymore"

The thoughts never stopped....

Rachel POV

I stood outside the door of my brother's house and waited for my body to allow itself to ring the bell, or knock.. It was so hard to do anything but think

Does he look sick?

Will he be able to go out?

Is he bed ridden?

Whatever! Just ring the door bell, you idiot!

*knock knock* Oh S***! What did I just do? Okay.. Take deep breaths

Then the door opened and I saw Chris looking at me. His skin was pale like always. His hair was a little messy. His pupils dialated. 

"Rachel! I'm so happy you came!" he smiled and wrapped his arms around my neck. Nothing could describe the happiness I felt to see my brother. My only sibling. The last member of my immediate family besides me

"I'm so happy I got a chance to come too!" I smiled and wrapped my arms around his waist. I felt like crying. But no, I don't want to seem weak.

After sitting in his house and talking about what has happened in the past year, I started to get hungry so we went out to eat. Since I was in the US, I had a to-do list. Eat McDonalds again for the first time in three years, talk to Chris' doctor, and visit mom and dad's grave.

While he drove and I ate my cheeseburger, I offered him a bite, and he declined. But seconds after, I heard his stomach growl. "You're hungry.. Have a bite, or some fries.." I demanded him. "I don't want to.. Really.." he pushed me away and continued driving. Then it hit me

Since Chris' main issue was his excessive and unusually frequent puking episodes, he refuses to eat..

He's.. afraid to eat

I felt a small tear roll down my cheek. "No. Don't starve yourself" I cried. I could hear Chris sigh. "You don't understand.. I can't.."

Soon, we made to the hospital where Chris has been recieving treatment. We were called into the doctor's office and talked about the details of Chris' health, or lack thereof. Everything the doctor explained was devistating. The signs Chris had were signs that matched.. Cancer...

Speaking english with someone other than Amber was a new thing to me. It never happened, because all of my new friends couldn't speak it well enough. How odd it felt indeed. 

When I made it back to my hotel room, it was almost 12am and I went online and put in the time zone in the time converter and found that it was only about three in the afternoon. Perfect time to call Onew. 

Taemin POV

"Again" our manager hyung said as he put our song on repeat so we could dance to it once again. My legs hurt and I was just about ready to pass out. 

We were dancing ONCE AGAIN to our new Japanese single when I looked over to Onew's cell phone. He was recieving a call from Rachel 

"Hey hyung, Rachel's calling" I called over to Onew who was literally on the other side of the room. The music was too loud so he couldn't hear my small voice.

I shook my head and continued dancing. His phone screen would turn off, then back on again. She wouldn't stop calling. It must be important. Fine, I'll pick it up

I forgot practice for a brief moment and answered the call. "Rachel. It's Taemin. We're practicing right now.. I'm sure Onew hyung would like to talk to you" I said all in one breath 

"Oh.. I'm sorry. Continue on please" I heard her say calmly.. I nodded my head and hung up the phone. Poor Rachel. She sounded so sad.

Rachel POV

After Taemin hung up the phone, I decided to call Amber. 

"Hey. How was your first full day back in the states?" she said into the phone. I didn't waste any time and told her everything. Even though it wasn't as important to her as I made it out to be, I still needed to tell someone. 

"Well, did you talk to Onew? I can't just sit hear and talk to you all day" she said. I let out a sigh. "I think you need someone to cry to.." she continued.. So we said our goodbyes and I tried dialing Ryeowook.. But no answer..

Taeyeon.. No answer

Changmin.. No answer

Yesung.. No answer

Donghae... No answer

Why do I feel like such an annoying person?

Jonghyun.. No answer

Henry.. No answer

Jessica.. No answer

Luna.. No answer

Minho.. No answer

Hyoyeon.. No answer

Heechul.. No answer

Where's Leeteuk at a time like this?

I even started to call people from outside of my label..

Taecyeon.. No answer

Kevin.. No answer

Dara.. No answer

I even tried calling my friend's girlfriend..

Minjung.. No answer

I didn't want to do it.. I really didn't want to.. I would have called him a long time ago, if I wasn't so afraid. But why am I afraid?

That's it.. Last person, then I'm giving up..

I waited for his voicemail to pick up, since that was all I was hearing.. But then

"Yobseyo?" he said into the phone. "Hey" I said calmly.

"How was your day. Hopefully well" he giggled. But I couldn't do it. After hearing his voice after a long sad day, I just broke down.

"Yunho.. My brother might have cancer" I sobbed. I broke down. I let it out. I couldn't do it.. I couldn't stay strong. Yunho tried shushing me through the phone. "I ne-ed a h-hug so bad-d right now" I confessed. My tears made me stutter, almost to the point where I was inaudible.. "Please don't cry. Everything will be alright" his soothing voice was heard in the phone. Just the sound of his voice. If only my boyfriend would've picked up his phone, I wouldn't have had to go to Yunho. The guy that's not supposed to be on my mind all day, but is..

"Say whatever you need to say now.. Just let it all out.. I can guarantee you that I'll be listening.. I'll stay no matter what.." he cooed. I took in a deep breath. I should be talking to Onew, not Yunho.

We stayed on the phone until it was 4am in America. 

"Don't you have work to do?" I asked him. "I just got done with my schedule for the day when you called.. You got lucky" he laughed. I smiled and laughed. The atmosphere finally calmed down and I could feel more comfortable. 

"It's 4am.. I should get some sleep.." I confessed. "I shoud've known that.. Goodnight.. Get.. good sleep" he whispered. I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Goodnight oppa" I smiled then hung up. Calling him oppa always felt right. 

Yunho POV

"Goodnight oppa" she said then hung up. I pulled the phone closer to my chest and smiled... Then I snapped back to reality.. 

"Oh yeah.. She has a boyfriend"