Asking Around

One Twist After Another

>>>>October

Rachel POV

And so approachs another holiday that my new friends and family do not celebrate. It's times like this that really make me miss America. Even though I'm 24 years old, I'd definitely go trick-or-treating along with my old friends. But now that my new friends are different, there's nothing I can do. Some of them know about Halloween, but few of them know it's history and none of them go trick-or-treating. Halloween is my favorite time of year. And damn it, I'm gunna have to do something about it! I didn't do anything last year, but this year is gunna change. 

F(x) is about have their comeback in a couple days, and all there is left to do is wait. Amber and I have started recording songs of our own to release and perform when we go on tour. Since we're just a music project, we don't get comebacks like everyone else, we just write the music, record it, and perform it. The girls were done practicing for the day and Amber decided to visit. At first we were bored, so Amber decided that we go to the zoo. Pretty odd suggestion, but I could dig it. We called up some friends from our label to see who might want to go. Everyone declined. All five SHINee members had come down with food poisoning from the night before. In the end, there was only one person who agreed to come. Amber's dino brother. Donghae

"Awww. He kissed you on the cheek?? That's so cute" Amber gushed.

"Don't assume that he likes you. Wookie is a big fan on skinship" Donghae waved his index finger in my face. 

"I know he doesn't like me like that. He's got Luna.." I sighed. "I'd love it if Luna's parents would allow them to date" 

"Same. But let's not worry and say that it was never meant to be. Ryeowook will find a way" Donghae smiled, and I smiled back. As much as I hated the thought of a girl taking my best friend away from me, especially after Leeteuk left, I can't stay mad after realizing what girl we were talking about. I mean, come on. It's Luna. Everyone loves Luna.

"Honestly, if I was in Luna's spot, I think my parents would be okay with it" Amber shrugged. 

"I think my mom would be okay with me dating a girl that young. I wonder what my dad would've said" Donghae said his invisible beard. 

That's the one thing me and Donghae had in common. In 2006, his father passed away. Then, four years later, my father passed away. Then I wondered, what would my parents say. I frowned when I realized I could barely remember the sound of my dad's voice. How long has it been? Let's see.. June was the last time I saw...

Wait... WHAT??

I instantly, without thinking slammed my fist down on the table we were sitting at, eating lunch. I shook the table and made Amber's drink fall over. 

"What's wrong?? Damn.." Amber barked. I can't believe it.

"I can't believe I totally forgot.." I could hear myself say out loud. "What. what, what???" Donghae chanted

"My dad passed away on August 2nd, of 2010. I was planning on going to his grave in America..." I explained. 

"Really? It's been a whole 2 years??" Amber gasped. I nodded. "More than 2 years"

Donghae smiled. "What are you smiling at?? I totally missed it. Stop it or I'll smack that grin off your face" my voice cracked. I felt like crying.

I was totally gunna fly to America in August to visit my dad's grave. And I totally forgot. When did my mom die? I can't even remember the date!

"When you skip over a date much like that. It means you've learned to let go. And that's a good thing" he explained. "Oh..." I blurted out. If I forgot, I guess so. Seeing how it's not that important to me anymore..

"I mean.. Well.. It's important.. Just the date.. Isn't important" I said trying to piece together the sentence.. "Exactly.. I remember the day my dad died, but it's not important... It's been six years. But I don't let something as so small as remembering one date take up space in my memory" he said again.

"Thanks dude" I smiled "I feel better now" 

He smiled back, "No prob" 

We continued to eat for a few minutes until I spoke up again. I just had to ask Donghae, since Amber already knew

"Hey" I tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up at me.

"Do you know what Halloween is?"

"Uhh. It rings a bell. A very small bell" he is invisible beard again. I couldn't help but laugh

"Isn't it a holiday?"

"Yes!" I beamed "Do you know anything else?"

"Uhh yeah. We don't celebrate it here.. Well, at least I don't think we do. I never have" he said thinking. Amber just listened in on the conversation. 

"Do you know what people do on Halloween?" I asked. "They lik-" Amber started, but I slapped her upside the head. "Let him guess" I said through my teeth. She musn't ruin this. 

"It's like a day to party. And some people dress up.." Donghae tried his hardest to recite to me what he knows about Halloween.

"Good good.. Anything else?" I asked listening closely. "I know they do other things.. Like, there's more to it! But I don't know what those things are" he frowned. He gave me that "Are-you-disappointed-in-me" look

And with that, I started telling him everything. Amber would stop me and start to explain where I left off. Donghae listened closely. It's so nice knowing that my friends wanted to learn new things.

>>>Later that day

"Hey.. Is it okay if I come over? How are you guys doing?" I said into the phone. "It's getting better. The only thing I'm worried about is the smell" Jonghyun gagged. Everyone had caught food poisoning and have been sick all day and all night. "That won't be a problem.. So I can come? I want to ask you guys something important.. And I wanna take care of you.." I smiled a little inside. "That would be nice for Onew. Minjung has a weak stomach so she hasn't come over yet. She tells me she's still building up confidence" Jonghyun explained. "Well, I'll pick her up when I'm on my way.. Okay?" I said into the phone. Jjong sighed. "Okay.. But if she pukes on anyone, it's gunna be you.." "Okaaaay, I'm willing to take that risk.. See you soon" I concluded and hung up the phone. Poor guys.. I could've told them what to eat and what not to eat. Next thing I know, I'm in the car driving to starbucks

-------

"I'm here to save you!!" I chanted when I walked into the store. Minjung's head snapped up from the book she was reading. When she saw me, she smiled. "Hey! Want something to drink?" she asked

"I'm broke" I frowned and walked over to the counter. "No problem! On the house!" she beamed and ran back behind the counter "No. You don't have to do that" 

"Well, we're the only ones here. As long as we make it fast.. So?" Minjung smiled and raised her eyebrows. I did want something to drink.

"No, I just couldn't-- Yes" I laughed. And she laughed with me and started making me "the usual"

Ever since Jonghyun started dating Minjung, I've gotten closer and closer to her every day, I'd give her rides to places since she didn't have a car, Me and her have been on a couple double dates with Onew and Jonghyun. He really picked a good fish.

"I've come to take you to see your boyfriend" I smiled while she made my coffee. "But he's sick!" she shivered. Minjung had a really weak stomach and was sensitive to smell. "I just got off the phone with him and he said everything should be fine. And he really wants to see you. And I can't take care of them alone" I rambled on. As soon as she was done with my drink, and made herself one, she took off her apron and ran over to the table to grab her book and cell phone. She turned over back at me. 

"Don't you want to see him? Take care of him?" 

"Well, yeah, but I hate getting sick"

"Same here, but I'm taking the risk"

"Well.." she stopped. 

I waited for her to say something. 

"Taking risks would make me a good girlfriend, right?" 

I shot up "I never thought of it that way, but yes!"

"Okay fine, I'll go" she let out a big sigh. I took her by the wrist and put her in my car and off we went. Of course, I wouldn't let the car ride there be silent. "Hey, do you know what Halloween is?" I asked her. Hoping she would know, becuase all the people I'd asked that day didn't have much of a clue

"Oh yeah! I have a bunch of friends in England where I studied and they told me about it a lot when it came around. But I hear the really party is in America.. Is that true?"

"Well, I wouldn't say that. But when I still lived there, we had a blast every year. I bet the UK has just as much fun" I smiled, still watching the road

"Ahh.. So yeah. I know what it is, what they do. We don't celebrate it here though. It's coming soon, isn't it??" 

"I know we don't celebrate it here, which .. And yeah!"

"October...."

"31st"

"Ahh yes! I'd love to go trick-or-treating. Never have. Probably never will" she frowned.

"Well if we can get everyone in on my plan, I think I can change that" I said calmly

When we got to SHINee's dorm, I was afraid to open the door. On our way, we picked up Amber too so she can take care of Key.

I was definitely afraid of the smell. Not as afraid as Minjung though. Amber has a strong stomach so I didn't worry about her. When I opened the door and took one step in, I didn't smell anything at first. It took a moment to get me. Then it hit me. It smelled like shrimp and soup, just like they said it would. Minjung put one hand over her nose quietly. "Anyone here??" I yelled. Minho came into the living room. "Heeeey" he moaned. God, he sounded like a zombie, and he looked like one too. 

Amber POV

Minho came into the living room and groaned "Heeeey" Oh god, he sounds terrible. I turned around him saw him, he looked so pale, with dark circles under his eyes. "Hyung, come back to bed" I heard Taemin come closer. Taemin looked just like Minho, just not as pale. "What are you guys doing here?" he asked quietly. "I talked on the phone with Jonghyun, he said we could come over to take care of you" Rachel said. 

Minho and Taemin looked at each other and nodded. "Well, Onew hyung is sleeping. I think Jonghyun and Key are playing video games. I'll call them down. Rachel, you can go into Onew's room. I'm sure he won't mind" Minho smiled weakly. 

Minjung, who still had her hand covering her nose, held up a small paper bag. "We brought you medicine. The best kind, it was really expensive" she mumbled the last part. Taemin walked over to take the bag. "I'll take that" he smiled at Minjung, who looked like she wasn't having a good time. 

Rachel wondered upstairs while Minjung and I started labeling the medicine bottles. 

"How's the smell? How's your stomach?" I asked Minjung while Taemin and Minho went back to bed. 

"I'm taking it better than I predicted" she giggled, finally pulling her hand away from her nose. "You've been sick like this before. Haven't you?" I asked. "I'd be shocked if you haven't" 

"No I have. It's just been a while"

"Do you feel like getting sick right now?"

"No, I think I can do it" she smiled. I admired her confidence.

Rachel POV

 I started walking with Minho and Taemin and guided them back to their room and tucked them into bed.

"You guys look so tired. Get more sleep, mmkay?" I cooed to them both. "Do you think you can eat anything?"

"I don't know. I'm super hungry but I'm scared to eat.." Taemin whimpered. Minho nodded 

"Well, how about this. I'll go out and get you some salted crackers and gatorade. That always helps me when I get sick" I explained. T'was true. Saltine crackers and gatorade helps a lot. The more electrolites, the better.

"Okay. I trust you, noona" Minho smiled and turned over and closed his eyes to sleep. I softened. "That's the first time Minho has ever called me 'noona'" I thought in my head. Taemin and Minho fell asleep in each others arms before I even left the room. I shut the door slowly and as quietly as I could. "Dang! I forgot to ask them about Halloween. Oh well.. Some other day"

After I put 2min to sleep, I headed to Jonghyun's room and peeked in to see Jonghyun listening to music quietly. Key had his head in Jonghyun's lap while he his blonde hair slowly. Jjong really looked like he was zoning out, big time.

"I'm here" I whispered. Jonghyun looked over and smiled. "Hi, noona. Having a good day?" he asked me. Key didn't react so he must be asleep. Jjong looked absolutely terrible. Bags under his eyes, pale skin with an eerie shade of green. Key finally rose up and saw me. He had dark circles under his eyes, which were bloodshot, and his skin was as pale as a ghost. "Noona..." Kibum moaned with a smile on his face. Wow, everyone loves calling me noona all of a sudden. Maybe I've just been hanging out with my elders a lot lately.

"Yes it's me" I smiled. I sat down on the bed and gave Key a tight hug. His body felt so weak. They were both so weak, they could barely hug me back. "Amber, Minjung, and I brought you medicine, and I'm about to go out again to get you guys some crackers and gatorade" I explained to them. "Minjung is here?" Jonghyun beamed, but then started to cough like a smoker. 

"Shhh, yes, she's downstairs getting your medicine ready for you. And later, I'm gunna get you guys some crackers and gatorade" 

"And Amber is here?" Key asked

"Yupp, she's downstairs too" 

Jonghyun and Key sighed in relief. 

"How are your stomachs?" I asked "Mine has been feeling better, somewhat. I'm scared to eat. Everyone is hungry and exhausted" Key frowned

Puking all night does really tucker a person out. No sleep, and heaving up bile and ABC food for hours. It's terrible. I just hope one day, we don't catch salmonella. I remember my parents telling me horror stories about how horrible it is. You puke even when you have no food in you, so all you puke up is bile. 

"I'm scared to eat too. How is crackers and gatorade any different?" Jonghyun asked. "Well, the gatorade has a lot of electrolites in it, which you need now the most. When you get sick like this, you get really dehidrated and you lose electrolites. So gatorade helps a lot. But not powerade, powerade has too much suger" I ranted, giving them a lesson on how energy drinks help. "As for the crackers. I don't know.. My mom fed them to me when I had food poisoning and it always helped me feel full" I giggled. 

Key and Jonghyun nodded in unison to my words of wisdom.

"You guys should go to sleep.. But I have one thing to ask you. I didn't ask you at all last year so I've decided this year is the year.." I said to them. They seemed ready for the question. 

"Do you know anything about.. Halloween?" I asked, biting my lip, hoping to god that they would know anything. 

Turns out, Key was a total genius on Halloween, and Jonghyun knew plenty to where I didn't need to explain. I was satisfied with their answer so I told them my plan and brought Minjung and Amber upstairs to bring them both to bed. Then, it was finally time to check on Jinki. I lightly knocked on his door. Jinki slept like a bear in the winter so I wasn't afraid to wake him up if I knocked too loudly

When I entered the room, it reeked of vomit and all the lights were turned off. Since it was getting dark outside, it made it even darker. I reached for the lamp and turned it on. Jinki was sitting at the foot of his bed, scratching his scalp. He had bed hair, like he had just woken up. When he looked up at me, my heart broke in two. He was so depressing. His face was pale, his eyes were bloodshot and puffy, dark circles under his eyes. His cheeks were slightly in. He looked more like a skeleton, considering that people lose weight when they get food poisoning. 

"Rachel... Yeobo.. Noona.." he stuttered. "You never call me noona" I softened. I was born in March of 1989, while was born in December of 1989. Even though Korea's aging system determines that we're the same age, in international age, I was older than him. But he's only called me noona about five times during our two years as a couple.

"Well.. I.. Think I should owe you respect, seeing that you've come over at such a terrible time.." he sighed. "To take care of you" I smiled, and he smiled back. I couldn't take it anymore. When he stood up, I ran over to him and swung my arms around his neck in a hug. "I smell so bad.. If I knew you were coming--" I stopped him by kissing him on his soft lips. Sure his breath smelled like puke, but I didn't care. "How could you possibly kiss me at a time like this?" he laughed. "I don't care. As long as I get to hold you.. And kiss you" I sighed and held onto him tight.

There was no need to ask him about Halloween. He already knew since I talk about it all year around to him. But I still had to tell him about my plan.

Minjung and Amber finally made it upstairs to give everyone their medicine. I was still hugging Jinki when they was a knock at the door. "Onew oppa.. It's time to take you medicine" Amber said quietly, walking in with a glass of water and two white pills, with Minjung behind her, who was carrying a bottle of dark purple liquid and a table spoon. 

Jinki took the medicine and I tucked him in bed. "How's your stomach?" I asked him "Everything is better, now that you're here" he smiled and his side and closed his eyes slowly. "I'll be back with crackers and gatorade, okay? After you eat, I'll come to cuddle. And if you can't hold it down, you can vomit on me" I laughed. Jinki nodded with his eyes still closed. "Saranghae" I whispered in his ear and kissed him on the cheek. 

After that, I finally made it outdoors. The fresh air smelled amazing. The guys all took their medicine and were put to sleep. My next mission, buy all the crackers and gatorade I can afford. Minjung, Amber, and I were on our way to the stoor in no time. 

Hopefully, they can all keep the crackers down. "Ughh", I heard Minjung groan from the passenger seat. "What's wrong?" Amber asked

"I can't get the smell of barf out of my nose" she pouted. "Well don't get comfortable, cause after we get the food, we have to go back" Amber sighed.

"Don't worry.. Food poisoning doesn't last forever" I laughed and parked the car by the super market.

 

Hello everyone! I wrote this chapter just cause... I love Halloween and it's coming fast! I don't know what I wanna be this year, but I'll figure something out.. Anywho.. If you were all wondering what 'ABC food' means, ABC stands for 'already been chewed' AHAHAH xD I saw it on a kids' TV show. Except it was ABC bubble gum, not food x3 Who's ready to see Super Junior's new music video for "HERO"? I am!!!! Well that's all for now. Until the next chapter. Happy reading and have a good day, my 6 subscribers :)