Chapter Five

Beneath your crescent eyes


"Can I be that person, perhaps?" I asked a question that only good boys could deliver it the best. Actually, don't get me wrong I usually splash that kind of question to every girl I met, especially every time I lurk in bars. I really say that, but the way I blurt it now actually felt the first time I say it sincerely, no monkey business - just pure sincerity from a bad person like. 

The space between us disappeared in a minute I said that because she embraced my arm. "You would?!" She even blinked her eyes couple of times like a kid, that act is so old. Nobody in this time blink their eyes if they are happy. And again, I think I'm justifying what she is saying. Again.

"Perhaps." 

"Perhaps." She repeated. 

"Perhaps you distance yourself away from me now." I said to her. 

She wiggled her head innocently again. "You said kissing at this time means nothing now, so I think hugging doesn't even count too!"  

I sighed. "Why do you believe everything I am saying?" 

"Believing can't hurt me." She grinned. "Believing can't hurt anyone. And I'm confuse why everybody find it so hard to do."

I started the engine so we can go home early. Okay, I want her in. So I will pay for the consequences. Maybe in the future I will have a reason why didn't let her away when she was going to go. Maybe someday, but for now I will enjoy this silliness of mine. "It does." 

"No it doesn't." She is trying to win over this. "Maybe you were always mistaking believing into something deeper."

I curled my forehead because I don't know what she is saying now. "What do you want to eat?" I diverted the topic. 

"I want a bread with a very thick pork or beef in the middle filled with different vegetables and sauces." She explained. 

"Hamburger?" I said in short, she described it very well.

She put her both hands in the air and shakes them like an excited kid. "So that was the name of it. In our time officials are still discovering what will be the name of that." She smiled. "I want a hamburger." 

"Okay." I smiled.


***

 

6:35pm
June 4, 2014

 

I am holding her wrist as we walk to the burger shop near my house. I picked this kind of burger shop that has a vintage feel so maybe she wouldn't yell at my ears just because she is surprise. I let her sit on the couch beside the counter so I can see her near me. I don't know why I am being so protective to this girl, or maybe I just don't want to happen such commotion a while ago. "I'll just get our food, wait here."


While I was on the counter, a bunch of kids - I think good dressed kids circled her again. Geez, why everybody seems to be in here league? One kid flashed her phone to take a picture with her and I nearly shouted to the one making our food because I'm so eager to go to her now. 

"Sir, this is your order." 

I grabbed the food tray and walked big steps to reached her, but the time I am beside her, the kids aren't there anymore. I saw her stiffened again. "What happened?" I sit beside her instead to the opposite couch. 

"I-I just saw myself on the thing similar to the thing you have." She stammered. 

"What thing?" 

"The small thing, rectangular in shape." She looked at me. 

"You mean, you see yourself in the phone?!" I nearly choked even we aren't even started eating. 

"I saw myself in there." 

"You took a photograph with the kid." I smiled so she'll be calm a bit. "Why those kids went to you? What did they say?" 


She stared at the food I ordered. I bought two medium sized patty with overloaded cheeses inside, two large french fries and large sodas. Actually this kind of foods are my very favorite so I'm a bit glad that she wanted to eat it. 

"They said I am the model of this vintage burger shop and they did that. Taking myself on that thing." 

I laughed, model of this burger shop? No wonder, she still wearing those awful clothes and her bangs. Geez. "Eat."

"Everything looks so yummy." She said innocently again.

"Including me?" I joked. 

"Pardon? You are not a food." She confusedly said. 

I tried to not laugh hard and just made her at all what we are facing now. These innocent girl in front of me never fails to amuse me. I saw her took a little bite with the burger and her face brighten even it is night already. She is chewing what inside and made a two thumbs up. "Oh, you know this?" I made a thumbs up too.

She drink a bit of soda that refreshed her. "Of course! I know this. I'm not a granny." She pouted and attacked at the fries. 

"You are." I chuckled. "If you continued living from 1934 up to now maybe you are dead already. So you are a granny." 


She stopped eating.

"What?" I said. 

"So you believed me now?" She smiled and I am distracted with the cheese spread on her lip.

"If. I said if." I wiped it off, the cheese. 

"Ifs are positive." She said. 

"Tell me about yourself first." I said. "Maybe we can start off with the basics." 

"You know me already." She glared. "Why aren't you eating? I will eat all of those." 


I chuckled how she say things. All of the girls I flirted, dated and even slept with never made me like this. I almost dated girls as much as the days in a year but I haven't brought a girl to eat here. I haven't dated a girl who's dressing like an old granny. I haven't dated a girl who's eating the whole food yet still managed to be attractively innocent. 

And yet, this girl beside me doesn't even know what a date is. 

"Besides that you are Shinhye that came from 1934. What else?" 

"I am twenty three years of age. I lived downtown which probably you wouldn't know."

"You are 23? So you were born on 1911?" I nearly yelled. "You're old."

"I am not old!" She patted my hands off. "You? Tell me about yourself!"

"Why are you yelling at me? I even bought you food." I hissed. "You should be at least be polite to me." I just realized that this girl, I mean Shinhye is bubbly and such but really a short tempered one like me. But why I needed to be the one to adjust?

"How can I be polite to you when you are calling me old?!" She hissed. 

"I am just joking." Okay, I lose again. "I am Jung Yonghwa."

"How old?" She asked like she is the authority. 

"Twenty three, born in 1991." I lowly said, she completely driven over me. Damn, what's happening to the mighty Jung Yonghwa?