1 The dark clouds looming over

The Strength of Our Strings

Shin Hye stared out of her new apartment window. She kept on sighing. It had been three months now since that incident. She bit her lower lip. She looked at the road. The cars seemed so tiny like ants lining up to get to sweet food. The city was busy and bustling as usual but she felt empty inside. She looked at the sky. The clouds were so dark as if it was catering to her feeling at the moment. Moving to a new apartment was one of the hardest decisions she had to make. Her parents and brother understood how hard it was for her. How hard it was for him as well. She sipped her coffee and started to walk to her dining table. Slowly she sat on the chair, placed her coffee mug down and picked up her chopsticks.

"Come on now. You have got to eat Shin Hye!" Her mother urged her. Shin Hye gave a weak smile and tried to hide the pain she had to endure. She slowly took a bit of her mother's kimchee and placed it on her bowl of rice. She took both rice and kimchi together and put them into and lazily chewed her food. Her mother sighed looking at Shin Hye who seemed lifeless to her. "Kemenhe! You have to be strong now!" She tried to snapped Shin Hye back to reality. She hated seeing her daughter turning into a zombie.

"I am Omma!" Shin Hye tried to argue. She tried to muster up some energy but she was tired. She had been working way too hard. That was how she deal with her hardship. Slowly, she took some more kimchee and mixed it with her rice and ate it. "Omma, you shouldn't have trouble yourself coming here. It's tiring. I will be fine!" Shin Hye tried to convinced her mother. Her mother gave her an encouraging look but at the same time doubting her daughter.

"Ara... But, I just feel like seeing you." She assured her daughter. She was mainly worried about Shin Hye's health. She remembered the day when Shin Hye's manager called her to tell that Shin Hye was hospitalized due to exhaustion, her heart flipped and so did her mind. She knew very well how Shin Hye deal with frustration. Shin Hye would work it out hard. "You live farther now, I feel like slowly my little girl is slipping away from me. I am not ready for that yet. " She half-confessed to Shin Hye.

Shin Hye smiled bleakly. She understood her mother's feeling. For the first time in her entire life, she decided to live on her own. If it wasn't for that incident, she would probably still live with her parents but for a very good reason, she had to do to what she thought would be the best for her..... and for him. 

"I think I am ready to talk about what had happened, Omma." Shin Hye placed her chopsticks down indicating she stopped eating. There was still some more rice left on her bowl but Shin Hye lost her appetite. She hadn't been eating well lately. She felt nauseous most of the time as well. Whatever happened three months back took a toll on her and probably people around her. Luckily, everyone understood and tried to not bring it up whenever they meet. 

Her mother offered her a sympathetic smile and slowly took Shin Hye's hand and massaged it. Shin Hye loved it when her mom did that to her. It relaxed her more. Her mom let out a heavy breathe. " Shin Hye yah, I rather you just forget it. I want you to be happy and lively again. But! I also know that this kind of thing will need time to recuperate. You don't have to explain. We all know it wasn't easy for both of you to come up to this decision. It was fun when it happened. We all had our hopes high but not all plan would come through. Things happen for good reason. We may not understand it now but give it time, we will see why." Her mother assured her. Shin Hye's eyes became watery. She smiled at her mother who had been the pillar of her life and in fact her entire family's life. 

"O.. Omma...." Shin Hye hugged her mother tightly and cried her heart out. Her mother hugged her tightly too. She understood what Shin Hye was going through. Shin Hye was already at the age where she wanted to have a steady companion. Shin Hye was ready to taste a secure loving life with someone whom she can call husband. Shin Hye also understood that the life path she had chosen did not necessarily translate well into 'balance', most of the time it required sacrifice in different aspects and with her, love life. 

"I will be strong Omma. I decided on this. I will make this through. I can't turn back now. I understand the choice of what we have to do. " She said slowly. Her mother wiped her tears. She stared at her beautiful daughter's face. She gave Shin Hye an encouraging smile. "Thank you Omma for always being there in moments like this." Shin Hye said gratefully. "I hope, one day, when any of my children have to go through such difficulties, I will be as encouraging and as understanding as you are Omma."

"Of course you will!" Her mother said. " You always do that to your brother. He is basically your practical test when things are like this." Her mother joked. Shin Hye have always supported and cheered her brother whenever he was down. She would be the most encouraging and most empathical towards her brother when it was supposed to be the other way around. " Sometimes your Appa wonders if you have switched souls. He often thought that you should be the eldest. You have always know how to sort things out when things are most difficult. While your Oppa would run around like a headless chicken." Her mother retorted. This made Shin Hye laugh. Her mother loved the sight she was seeing now. She missed the bubbly Shin Hye. 

"Oh.. Omma don't say that. Oppa is always there for me. He cares about me a lot. " Shin Hye finally felt slightly lighter. She knew her mother's love would always lift her spirit up. "Omma tell appa to miss you a lot tonight. Stay here!" Shin Hye begged as she hugged her mother.

"Arasso my baby!" Shin Hye mother agreed.