Chapter 2

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

BOMI

            "I'll see you guys after lunch," Mrs. Chan said.

             All day long Mrs. Chan talked and just kept talking. She talked about her life, how she is half Chinese and half Korean, and that she was poor at first until her father invested in a company, which got her family rich and blah, blah, blah.

            She got to know a little about the students except me, of course, I tried to avoid any of the stupid questions she asked us like “When were you born?, Where were you born?, What do you want to be when you grow up?” Stupid questions are just meant to be unanswered.

            I walked into the cafeteria and it was filled with deranged students running all over the place. Some kid pushed me out of his way; ramming me into the wall. I quickly fixed up my wrinkled blazer and scan the room to find an empty table.

            Bingo! Empty table in the corner, best place to be at! I walk in line to grab a tray of food and like always there are a bunch of people who cut in front of me, but I don’t mind as long as they aren't picking on me like their lunch plate.

            When I finally grab my tray, I hurried over to my table and sat down. I was enjoying my turkey sandwich until someone had to come and ruin it.

            "How's lunch?" Dasom came over to my table with her so called "crew" made up of Bang Sooah and Kwon Chanmi.

            Sooah and Chanmi are always hanging around Dasom. Sooah always has the latest brand name accessories and Chanmi always has a different brand name purse to show off to everyone and always gets front row seats to concerts. She also likes to dye her hair a lot too. She should be lucky this school allows you to dye your hair different colors because not a lot of schools allow it.

            "None of your business," I grumbled, looking down at my tray.

            "What did you say?" She questioned, slamming her hand down on the table making me tense up.

            I stayed silent not wanting to say anything. She suddenly flipped over my tray; it splattered all over my uniform. Water soaked into my uniform as well as the kimchi juice.

            "Aw, look Bomi had a little accident!" Dasom shouted out and everyone burst out into laughter.

            I felt the tears begin to run down my face. I sure will receive a beating tonight from my parents.

             I ran out of the cafeteria in a flash and hid in the bathroom. I slammed my hands down on the sink and looked up at the mirror.

            It’s only been the first day and you’re already making me miserable.

            "I HATE YOU HWANG DASOM!" I cried out.

 

TAEHYUNG

            As we walked in to the cafeteria and sat down, everyone was laughing at something or someone.

            "I wonder what everyone was laughing at?" I thought out loud as everyone quieted down and started to chat among themselves.

            "Who knows," Jungkook shrugged his shoulders and shoved some food into his mouth.

            "I saw someone running out though," Hoseok added as he sat down with his tray. 

            "Was it a girl or a boy?" I asked out of curiosity.

            "Girl,” he answered with a mouth full of salad. “But it’s none of our business anyway so just eat your food, Taehyung.”

            Hoseok is right, it’s really none of our business but I hope nothing bad happened to that girl, I thought as I began eating my lunch.

 

UNKNOWN

            I witness everything that happened and it hurts to see such a pretty girl get treated that way for four years straight. I sighed and thought about Bomi.

            Why is she always on my mind all day and why am I being a bystander? I should do something but what?

 

BOMI

            The bell for sixth period rang and gym was terrible as always. All we did was sit around, groaning on how much exercise we must do to pass and what not.

            The stain on my skirt dried up but it still left a dark spot that was a tad bit noticeable since my skirt was not a dark color. Why do the skirts have to be tan?  

            As I stepped in class, everyone started to laugh at me again. I put my head down and briskly walked to my seat but before I even reached my table, I was tripped which made everyone die of laughter.

            "Oh my goodness, are you okay?" Mrs. Chan walked in and quickly ran over to me. Everyone became silent of the teacher’s arrival. I nodded my head and climbed up onto my feet and walked over to my seat.

            "Who did this?" Mrs. Chan spoke up and eyed everyone in the classroom.

            “I just tripped on my shoelace," I said quietly but enough to be heard.

            "Are you telling the truth?"

            "Yes Ma’am," I replied.

            "Okay," She gave me an unsure look.

 

            School finally ended and I raced out of that wicked school in hopes for someone not to kidnap me to beat me up like what used to happen.

            "I don’t want to go home, what are they going to do to me? This was so expensive," I look down at my stained uniform and deeply sighed.

            I went into my home silently hoping my parents wouldn't hear me.

            "Nappeun Nyeon!" My mother called out to me.

            "Yes?" I nervously called back and rubbed the buttons of my blazer.

            She walked to the front door where I stood from the kitchen. "Don't you have work–” She gasped. “How dare you! That is expensive!" She walked over to me and slapped my face.

             I fell to the floor as tears, unknowingly, flowed down my cheeks dripping onto the floor.

            "What’s going on in here?" My father questioned, stepping in the room.

            "Honey, look at her uniform, it was her first day and she has ruined it!" 

            "WHAT!" He grabbed a magazine off the table, rolled it up and whacked me on the head repeatedly. "Do you know how much this cost? It was $250. You, stupid bxtch I'm not paying for this shxt!" He finally stopped hitting me. "Get up! And go to work!”

            He grabbed a fistful of my hair, pulled me up, and pushed me in the direction of my room. I clenched my teeth to endure the stinging pain shooting around my head. 

            My mother gave me the last slap on my arm with a stick; she usually has to hit me with. I stumbled towards my room and slowly shut the door closed, I look at my arm that was slapped and it was starting to feel sore.

            I have to get to work soon so I have to get dressed quickly into my work clothes. I work as a waitress at Yong Su San, it’s a fancy restaurant but not too fancy sort of like Olive Garden in America.

            After I finished dressing, I walked over to the wall closest to my bed which is on the floor and slid off the wood wall panel.

            No one knows about this secret panel hence it being a secret panel. This is where I hide all my personal items I don't want my parents to see. I have my stash of money, all my best report cards, a picture of my cousin and I, many math and science awards and my grandmother's expensive watch that she gave me before she passed, all of it hidden in this small little cubby.

            I  pulled out a shoe box that holds my savings of money; I saved at least $6,000 since I started working in seventh grade.  I took out $25 to pay for dry cleaning my uniform. 

 

            "Thank you," I bowed down to the worker as I left the dry cleaners. 

            It was about a fifteen minute walk to work while it’s a ten minute walk to school. 

            "Hi Bomi!" Asuna waved to me excitedly. Her long, light brown hair bounced everywhere as she ran over to me. She grabbed my sore arm and swung it around.

            Asuna is my Japanese co-worker; she doesn't go to my school though, she goes to an international school near by. She loves K-pop so much that she learned Korean in just three months then moved to Korea to study more Korean and to possibly meet her future husband. She can be very overly dramatic sometimes.

            Although, I don’t know why she is so nice to me or tries to get close to me. I don’t really talk to her a lot, even though, she’s been here for almost two years now. I guess, she is the only one I can depend on being my one true friend.

I winced a little at her tugging my arm. She noticed and immediately stopped. “Are you okay? Did I hurt you?”

“Ah, it’s nothing,” I waved her off.

            "Are you sure? Nothing happened to you, right?," she questioned, rubbing my hand.

            "Seriously, nothing happened, Asuna," I stated once more.

            She said something in Japanese that I didn’t understand. "Fine, be that way." She dropped my hand and left to the kitchen. She has a bit of an attitude too.

            I walked to the back of the kitchen as well and checked in.

            "A little late I see," I turned around to see Daehyun smirking at me.

            Jung Daehyun is my other co-worker besides having just Asuna being my only friend, I would say Daehyun is also my friend. I met Daehyun here at work during freshmen year; he also goes to Junseo High and he’s also in honors. He usually with his group of friends they call themselves B.A.P which stands for Best. Absolute. Perfect. Weird, right? They all wish to become a boy group in the K-pop industry someday.

            Daehyun is a really good singer. He always sings when he is cleaning, but he doesn’t do it often only when there is barely anyone around. He’s a little of a shy guy when it comes towards his love for music.

            "So what?" I questioned with a cold tone.

            "Oh nothing, maybe, you might get fired because your always late," he answered, nonchalantly.

            I punched him in the arm as I walked by him. "Ouch! I was just kidding you know we need you. I need you," he chuckled a little on the last part.

            I smiled a bit and rolled my eyes. "Shut up!" 

            "Bomi, table five needs a waitress," Asuna called. "And they are super cute!" I rolled my eyes once more. I walked out with my notepad and a few menus.

            "Hello…" I froze when I saw who the customers were.

            "Well, isn't little Miss Bomi?" Dujoon questioned with a smile. "Look guys, it’s Bomi!" Park Kyung and Aiden Ahn were also with him.

            Dujoon. That cursed name. He also bullied me when I started High School and still does. To be honest, when we were freshmen I had a crush on Dujoon. He was in the honors classes and he was just so kind to me. He was my first friend. He hung out with me. He betrayed me. He became my enemy. I hate him. I became his victim.

            Why did he have to come to this restaurant? Out of all the places in Seoul, he came here?

            "Here are your menus," I said and turned around but before I left the table, I tripped over a foot. Dujoon's foot to be exact. He burst out into laughter and soon his friends joined in.

            "Are you okay?" Asuna asked, helping me up. I nodded, tears started to build up.

            "Are you crazy?!" Daehyun yelled. coming over.

            "What?" Dujoon scoffed.

            "What did Bomi do to you?" He questioned with a serious look.

            "What are you? Her boyfriend?" Dujoon smirked and nudged Kyung with his elbow.

            "Yah Dujoon!" Daehyun stepped up and pushed Dujoon’s shoulder with his hand.

            "Don’t touch me!" Dujoon said, standing up.

            "You are hurting my friend so I have the right to help defend her," Daehyun argued, my eyes widen a bit with shock. 

            I can't believe he said he would help defend me. That I was his friend?

            Dujoon pushed Daehyun down to the ground with ease. Daehyun quickly got back up ready to fight back.

            "Daehyun, don’t. It’s not worth it, you might get fired," Asuna said, pulling Daehyun back.

            "They’re not worth my time anyway, I'm getting Kirito to serve these guys," he walked back into the kitchen angrily.

            "Let’s go," Asuna pulled me to the back of the kitchen following Daehyun. "Oh my," she started speaking in Japanese. At first, she was talking in a soothing, comforting tone then she got angrier and angrier.

            Maybe she’s talking about Dujoon, I thought as she kept speaking.

            "What are you talking about?" I asked, laughing a little.

            "Sorry, who was that jerk-face anyway?" She asked sitting next to me.

            "Gu Dujoon."

            "Well if I ever see him again, he will be goo!" She punched a fist into the palm of her hand.

            I laughed a little at her statement. Even if I am a bit older than her and a bit taller, she's strong. Something I'm not.

            “I heard we’re turning Dujoon into goo count me in!” Daehyun jabbed his thumb at himself.

             For the next hour they stayed here for, I stayed away from that table not even once have I set foot around that table. While Kirito gladly took my section, I took his section on the other side of the restaurant for tonight.

            I wish Dujoon never existed or, at least, he was born a kind person.

            I hate you Gu Dujoon.