Chapter 4

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

TAEHYUNG

            "We should do something after school," Jimin proposed as we walked to school.

            "Like what?" Namjoon questioned.

            Jimin shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. Bubble Tea?”

            "Yes! I've been craving for bubble tea for ages!" Jin clapped his hands together.

            "Hey, do you think Bomi can come a long with us as well?" I suddenly asked. I shoved my freezing hands into my pant pocket to play it off cool.

            "Why? She doesn’t even talk to us, every time we talk to her all she does is nod, bow, or simply ignore us," Jungkook pointed out. “Bomi obviously isn’t interest in being friends with us. She really only wants to be classmates.”

            His point is pretty accurate and yet... "She's just different," I said in response.

            "What! She's just a– Wait a minute, do you like her?" Hoseok gave me his ooh-someone-is-in-love look.

            "What? Ha-ha, you're funny! No, I'm just trying to be nice. Plus, I don't think she has any friends," I whispered that last, even though it was only just us walking to school.

            "Alright, I see your point. Well, it’s fine by me. I don’t know ‘bout you guys," Hoseok said. Everyone else nodded their heads.

            Yes! Everyone agreed so now I can get close to her.

 

BOMI

            After putting on my uniform, I ran the brush through my messy, tangled hair. I slid my backpack onto my back and headed out the front door. I was running a bit late, which is unusual of me.

            Ooh, it’s a little chilly out. Wish I had a jacket, I thought as I stepped out into the cold November air.

Well, at least I have this blazer and sweater vest to keep me warm, but this skirt does not help at all to keep the cold air out. I tugged the short skirt down a bit. I shook with each stride I took as I made my towards school.

            Finally when I arrived, I ran inside to find warmth. I shook off all the cold off of me and let the heat engulf me.

            "Look the poor girl is cold!" Some boy laughed. People around stopped what they were doing and focused on me. I stood there frozen not knowing what to do then I felt an arm slung around my shoulders.

            Some students gasped, I looked up to see his face. "Hey Bomi!" He greeted with a big smile.    

            Taehyung. I nodded and we started walking towards class. "Come on, I know you can talk. Can't I get a simple hi or hey?" He question waving his free hand in front of my face. 

            "H-hi," I said, quietly.

 

TAEHYUNG

            I got her to say something! Point one for Taehyung!

            "So how are you?" I asked since it was getting a bit awkward. She shrugged.

You know what? I'm getting irritated of her ignoring us. I'm sorry if you're being bullied and don’t have any friends but I'm trying my best to be your friend!  I grabbed her shoulders and forced her to look at me. Her eyes widen with shock and fear.

            "Why do they treat you like this?" I stabbed the question at her, which made her cringed at the force of my words. I realized what I had just done and immediately soften. "I'm sorry, I didn’t mean to raise my voice on you.

            I let go of my grip on her shoulders and she immediately ran away.

            "I didn't even have a chance to invite her to hang out with us," I stuffed my hands in my pockets and headed to class with my head hanging low.

            I always regret the things I do and say to people but I can’t help it, it just naturally comes out. I hope she doesn’t hate me or is scared of me.

 

BOMI

            I ran towards the classroom, though, I know he has the same class as me. I just want to get as far away as I can for now from Taehyung.

        The way he grabbed my shoulder and forced me to turn around, the way his voice deepened when he was angry terrified me. I really thought he was going to hurt me. This is what I was saying when I don’t want to place any of my trust on them yet because what if something like this happens and it did.

            As I walked into class, I tripped over someone's foot. He laughed the loudest out of everyone. I lay on the floor form the pain; too hurt to get up. And there was Dujoon holding onto his stomach then everyone grew silent. I looked up and saw a hand; Jin's hand.

            "Are you alright?" He asked with a concerned look. I nodded and took his hand.

 

JIN

            I really wish they would stop hurting Bomi. What has she done wrong? I may be popular but I'm not those other kids who bully other people like what is this that one Korean drama, Boys over Flowers? And Bomi is the school's target and instead of F4, it’s F6 with Dujoon and Dasom with their little crew.

            We’re still holding hands as we walk to our seat. She quickly let go.

            I wish it lasted longer.

            "Thanks… for helping me," she quietly said bowing down her head a bit. 

            "What did I say about being formal?" I gave her a small smile. Bomi’s lips curved to a small smile as well.

            The bell rang when Jimin and Taehyung finally walked in to class. "Hey Bomi!" Jimin greeted her, happily.

            She gave a small wave back while Taehyung stayed silent and sat down in his seat.

            I wonder what’s wrong with him, I thought as Mrs. Chan then walked in and the lesson started.

 

BOMI

            As I got up for lunch someone grabbed my hand, which caused me to scream. I put my hands up to defend myself.

            "Whoa, I'm so sorry, Bomi. I didn't mean to frighten you," He apologized and put my hands down.

            I looked up and it was just Jimin. I let out a sigh of relief.

             "I was just hoping if… You know… We go to lunch together since we're going to sit at the same table anyway," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand. He looked a little embarrassed or nervous as if he was asking me out on a date. I found that kind of strange. It was as if he never talked to a girl before and I’m sure he has talked to many girls before.

            "Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged my shoulders

"Let’s get going then!”

            As we walked through the halls, I got a lot of death glares from their fan girls so I stepped away from Jimin and picked up my pace in hopes that it didn’t look like I was walking with Jimin.

            "Hey, wait up!" Jimin called out and ran up next to me.

            "Fan girls," I whispered to him.

            "What? Oh, don’t mind them," he said like everything will be okay, but it won't. “I really do promise you that nothing will happen to you.”

            When we got to the cafeteria, Jimin and I were first in line, but I was pushed and was shoved all the way to the back. Suddenly, I was pulled out of the line.

            "I got you your lunch!" Jimin said, handing me a tray.

            "You didn’t have to," I said glumly, grabbing a hold of the metal tray.

            "Hey, I have to treat you out sometimes," he smiled as we walked to the table.

            "For what thought?

“Uhm, I’m not sure. I just treat my friends out sometimes.”

Even if I ignored you guys for almost a month?" I questioned with an arched eyebrow.

            "Well sure! Plus, I think I'm the only one you actually had a conversation with so far," he responded with a smile. "Hey guys, look who I have with me?"

            "Hey, Jimin and Bomi!" Namjoon greeted.

            He sat down next to Jungkook and I took my seat in between Jin and Taehyung. Not that I wanted to sit in between the two. It’s just that I wanted to sit next to Jin and Taehyung just, nonchalantly, slid down right next to me.

            "Oh before I forget, we plan to get bubble tea after school. Do you want to come along?" Jin asked me.

            “I don't know," I bit my lip deciding whether I should go or not.

            "Come on, I'm pretty sure you can spare some time for us," Jimin said, pouting.

            "My parents might not allow it though..." I added.

            "Please," Jin starting acting cute, which I actually found adorable.

            "I guess I can for an hour," I responded with a shrug off my shoulders.

            "Yay, Bomi is coming!" Jimin cheered. I smiled at his childish actions

 

JIN

            This is the most Bomi has spoken. I think little by little she's opening up to us. I would wish she would smile more.

             I remember the first time she smiled at me. My lips curved up into a smile at the thought of it.

            "Yah, why are you smiling by yourself?" Yoongi asked. I looked up at him.

            "Huh, I wasn’t smiling," I said.

            "Sure... you’re having dirty thoughts!" He yelled out.

            I looked over to Bomi who was trying hard not to laugh out loud. "Yah Min Yoongi!" I threw my sandwich wrapper at him.

 ~ Gym ~

 

JIN

          I saw Bomi walking into the gym and I waved my hand for her to sit next to me on the bleachers. She finally noticed my hand and strolled towards me.

            "Oh, I see Dasom gave back your shirt," I whispered to her, she slightly nodded and tugged at her gym t-shirt.

            "Okay, students," Mr. Kim said, looking at his clipboard. "Remember when we did all those activities last month like push-ups, sit-ups, and the mile." Everyone nodded. "Well, I have everyone’s results recorded and awards to give out to those who did the best." Everyone gasped; whispers were transferred to one another.

            "Okay, settle down everyone. We will start with the boy who got the most. The boy who did 130 push-ups, eighty sit-ups, and five minutes and thirty-nine seconds on the mile is... Gu Dujoon!" Everyone cheered for that jerk especially the girls except Bomi, of course.

            "Now the girl who got the most did thirty-five push-ups, thirty-two sit-ups, and eight minutes and three seconds on the mile is..."

 

BOMI

            "Park Bomi!" 

            My eyes widen with shock. What! Me? Win an award? No way! If I show it to my parents, they'll just rip it up and say it’s useless.

            Everyone stayed silent and then someone starting clapping. Jin was clapping for me. I shook my head at him but he just smiled and kept clapping.

            "Come on Bomi, come get your certificate," Mr. Kim waved the piece of card stock in his hand.

            I slowly made my way towards Mr. Kim; he shook my hand as I grabbed the award. "Great job, see you're better than these girls!" He said.

            I'm better than these girls in ALL subjects well, at least the basic subjects like math, science, writing, and English. As I sat back down with Jin, he turned around to give me a side hug. I tensed up at the quick skin ship.

            "Congrats!" He pulled away from the hug and rubbed his nape. I’m guessing he’s a bit embarrassed that he just hugged me.

            "Thanks," I said. "But didn't you force me to run with you on the mile?"

            "He-he yeah," he chuckled. “Hey, the outcome was good, wasn’t it?”

             "This is my first award ever." I held it in front of my face. I ran my fingers on the shiny sticker placed on it.

            "Really?" He questioned and I nodded.

            “Well, I’ve gotten many math and science awards before but nothing like this,” I held it up towards the ceiling to look at it in a different angle. “Exercising is a bore.”

            "Bubble tea after school now has a purpose." He put his arm around me and I smiled widely.

            I feel somewhat protected under his arm; it felt normal like his arm has been there forever.

 

JIN

            There's that smiled I was waiting for. I just hope that smile lasts forever.

 

DASOM

            Jin has his arm around the poor girl and she's smiling. That should be me for god's sake! I love Dujoon in all but if that didn’t work out, Jin would be my second choice.

            Bomi, I will make school like hell for you!

 

TAEHYUNG

      The dismissal bell rang and everyone immediately stood up, shoving all their materials into their bags and running out to make it on time to work or to private tutoring.

            "Let’s go, Bomi!" I linked my arm through hers. She nodded and as usual her expressionless face.

            I'll change that someday.

            We met the others at the front of the school gates. Once we were all there, we walked to the cafe where they sold delicious bubble tea in all types of glorious flavors.

            "What flavor do I want?" Hoseok questioned himself looking up at the menu.

            "What flavor are you getting, Bomi?" I asked her.

            "I don't have any money," she replied, sadly as I watched her eyes scan the different priced drinks.

            "What?" I questioned with a confused look.

            "I did say I would come but I didn't say I would get anything," she responded.

            "Oh," that was all I could say. Of course, I heard everyone say she's poor but I thought that was an exaggeration or something. I expected her to carry at least five dollars with her but turns out; she doesn't have anything on her at all.

            Before I could tell her I would pay for her, Jin was already one step ahead of me.

 

JIN

            I overheard Bomi and Taehyung's conversation and it made me feel terrible to know she doesn't have any money and that it would selfish to drink something so delicious in front of her and that she couldn't get any. So I ordered two of my favorite bubble tea flavor which is Kiwi with litchi jelly.

            "Bomi, here," I handed her the bubble tea and her face lit up.

            "Are you sure?" She asked, holding the drink her eyes sparkling.

            "Of course, I paid already so…" I gave her a small wink.

            "Thanks, Jin," she smiled a bit. "You know to be honest I only had this once in my lifetime."

            I nearly choked on the jellies. "What? Really?"

            "Yeah, my parents wouldn’t allow me to spend on such wasteful stuff but I didn’t have any money to use anyway," she explained and I felt glad I did the right thing to buy her one.

            "When was the last time you had one?" I asked.

            "Uhm... four, five years ago maybe," she answered and I almost choked on the jellies again. "My cousin took me."

            "Your cousin?"

            "Well technically, he snuck me out to go get it but almost getting caught wasn’t so fun," she let out a small laugh.

            "Why doesn't your cousin take you or shall I say sneak you out anymore?" I asked.

            "Because… he's not here anymore, I don’t want to talk about," she said.

            "Oh yeah, of course, I understand it’s personal. Sorry for asking," I took a sip of my drink.

            "No its okay, it’s kind of nice being asked about me it’s like someone really wants to get to know me," she took her first sip from her drink and her eyes lit up. "Wah, this is so marvelous!"

            "Glad you like it. This is my favorite flavor plus its fresh kiwis!" I said.

            "Thanks again," she said, taking in another drink.

            "No problem," I said and she flashed a small smile at me.

 

BOMI

            After an hour of chatting at the cafe, it was time to head home.

            "You sure you don’t want us to walk you home?" Jimin asked me as we walked out of the cafe.

            "No, I'll be fine plus it’s not that dark," I assured them.

            "Okay, be safe!" Hoseok called out as I started to walk away.

            "See you tomorrow!" Jin yelled out. I turned around and waved goodbye to the seven boys.

 

            I walked into my house as quietly as I can but it was no use because right when I turned around, one of the demons was standing in front of me with her arms crossed.

            "Where have you been?" She asked, angrily.

            Why would you care anyway? That’s what I would've said but that was a call for a beating.

            "I had to clean the classroom today," I lied.

            "Ha, how pathetic! When I was in high school, I was so popular I didn’t have to do that shxt unlike you," she then walked back into her room.

            Like I care if she was "popular”, what does that have to do with anything?

             I went into my room, laid on my bed and fell asleep with a smile plastered on my face remembering how good my day went.