Chapter 13

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

~ Thursday, December 4 ~

JIN

            "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Jin. Happy Birthday to you!” All the boys sang to me as they walked into my dark room with a cake. The glowing candles illuminated my room.

            "Thanks!" I said with a wide grin and blew out the eighteen candles scattered around the cake. I'm finally eighteen-years-old!

            "So how does it feel to be eighteen now?" Hoseok said. Hoseok is older than me by ten months so he'll be nineteen next year in February.

            It must be nice to have a birthday really early in the year like that.

            "Um... well, I feel the same actually. I just feel a bit older I guess," I responded with a smile

            “Are you sure? Because when I turned eighteen I felt like I evolved into something amazing!” Jimin explained.

            “Are you a poke’mon or something?” Namjoon questioned, slapping Jimin's head. "Well, at least now you’re old enough to go to the clubs and only a year away to drink or as they say!"

            "We don't even go to any clubs," Jungkook said.

            "I know but still if there were a day we were to go," he said and crossed his arms.

            “Oh please, the only club you’ll be getting into is Club Penguin. I don't want to see any one coming home with some ty girl or coming home drunk," Hoseok said, firmly.

            "Yes sir," everyone said in response.

            "Anyway, let’s turn our attention back to our birthday boy," Yoongi said. "Ready for some cake?" He handed me a piece of the cake and it had strawberry ice cream in the middle with real strawberries bits in it, it was a beautiful cake especially since it’s pink which is my favorite color of all time.

            After eating, Jungkook announced it was time for presents to be opened.

            "You guys, I told you I didn't want anything," I said as I sat down on the couch and presents were placed in front of me.

            "We know but do you ever listen when we say we don't want any presents," Hoseok pointed out.

            "Yeah but you’re the eldest and I'm the second youngest so I shouldn't expect anything," I said.

            "Why are you so damn respectful cause I don't remember teaching you any of this," Hoseok said and ruffled up my hair.

            It is true Hoseok didn’t teach me anything about being respectful but I did help the old women a lot so I spent most of my time with her. She helped me learn some valuable things about life and why we shouldn’t be bounded to the laws of society and that we should break through them.

            "Open mine first!" Taehyung waved the pink box in my face.

            "Okay, calm down," I laughed. I opened the box up and found a new leather jacket.   

            "Wow!" I held in up and touched the leather sleeves.

            "Yeah, I thought you needed a new one since the other one looked tight on you," Taehyung explained.

            "Thank you," I placed the jacket neatly back into the box.

            "Sorry Jin, no present for you since I bought the cake," Namjoon said.

            "Or he thinks he bought the cake," I hear Yoongi mutter and I could only laugh.

            "Here," Jimin handed me a big bag with cute characters on it and I took it with a confused look.

            "Oh my goodness, it’s so cute!" I said as I took out a giant mushroom plushy.

            "Well, we all know you have this weird obsession with cute plush things and I was just walking by a store when I saw this and it reminded me of you," Jimin said.

            "Thank you," I said.

            "Now this last one is from me, Yoongi, and Jongkook," Hoseok said and handed me a small box wrapped in gold wrapping paper.

            "And Namjoon," Namjoon coughed and looked to his side as if he didn’t say anything.

            "Sure… I thought no present since you "bought" the cake," Yoongi said as he put emphasis on bought with his fingers.

            "Just open it," Jungkook said, smiling.

            I carefully un-wrap the gift and my eyes widen. "H-How?" I was speechless.

            "We're not poor, Jin. We can afford this stuff and we still have a lot left," Hosoek said with a small laugh.

            I held the phone in my hands: A Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It’s so big in my hands.

            Does it even fit in my pocket? I thought to myself.

            "The boys and I were thinking, you shouldn't be using that lame flip phone and plus the rest of us has a smart phone and you don't," Jungkook added.

            "Is this why my phone didn’t work yesterday?" I asked as I messed around with the applications.

            "Yep," they said and I nodded.

            "Thank you," I said once more and gave everyone a hug.

            “Now, let’s get ready for school,” Yoongi said with a clap of his hands.

 

~ Saturday, December 6 ~

SUNGMIN

          “Are you ready?” I asked Bomi.

            “Come on; let’s go, you guys have a competition to win!” She jumped in excitement.

            We piled in our van and made our way to Sejong Center for the Performing Arts. We knew we arrived when the center came in view. It is a rather large building.

            “Oh my, it’s such a huge building,” Bomi had her face pressed up against the window.

            “It’s really nice inside too. We’ve been here a couple of times for different other competitions,” I explained. “It’s the largest arts and cultural complex in Seoul.”

            We came to stop and we all exited out the vans and started walking towards the entrance.

 

BOMI

          “Wow!” I turned in circle looking at the very modern designs and colors decorating the inside.

            “Come on, our dressing room is this way,” Sungmin said. “Jiseok already signed us in.”

            “You want me to come in the dressing room with you guys?” I raised an eyebrow.

            “It’s okay there’s a different room, we can change in,” he explained.

            “Okay then,” I said still unsure.

 

            “You can turn around now,” Jungwoo said.

            I had to turn around as they changed because their “different room” was actually just one of those bamboo screens.

            They were all wearing black– Their outfits weren’t eye catching as I thought they were going to be but they work really well with their song.

            Knock, knock!

            “My goodness, luckily I made it here on time!” Yoohee walked in with a bunch of make-up boxes and three other girls with her.

            “The competition hasn’t started yet,” Yoohwan said.

            “Oh, well, actually the competition starts right... about... now,” she said, looking at her watch.

            As if Yoohee was giving cue, the speaker sparked on. “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our annual music competition!” A male announcer was heard from a speaker. “All performers must be in their dressing rooms preparing for their performance.” He went on explaining what was going to happen and so on.

            “Let’s start this show shall we. Please welcome our first performance, The Dazzlings!”

            “Okay, we are performance number ten,” Sejun informed us.

            “So we still have time, let’s get to work,” Yoohee stated and opened up her boxes filled with make-up and hair supplies.

            I sat in the corner watching the boys get all dolled up. I couldn’t help but laugh. Some of the boys were warming up their voices as their hair and make-up were being done.

            “What’s so funny?” Yoohwan asked me, looking through the mirror.

            “You guys are just like a group of girls,” I giggled. “Getting your make-up done and what not.”

            “When we’re K-pop idols, this is how it’s going to be so don’t judge us,” Jiseok said, poking my sides.

            I quickly grabbed his wrist and twisted it. “Yah, touch me again and you’ll never use this hand again.” I threatened.

            “Okay, okay just not today I need to hand,” I let go of his wrist and smiled.

            “Performance number ten, please make your way back stage, any guests please head to your seats in the auditorium,” a women announced through the backstage speakers.

            “Break a leg,” I said, before following Yoohee out to the auditorium.

            “You sure you don’t like my little brother?” Yoohee asked me.

            “Oh my goodness, just keep walking,” I pushed her forward and down into a seat.

            “He’s not that bad of a kid,” she went on. 

            “Look they’re up!” I pointed up on the stage.

            “Next up we have Speed!”

            As they performed, I cheered for them as loud as I can as well as other people were. Their dance moves were in sync and their singing was perfect.

 

            When their performance was finished, we headed back to their dressing room.

            “You guys were stupendous!” I hugged each of the boys.

            “Whoa, big words,” Jiseok said and I punched him in the arm.   

            “Let’s go watch the rest of the performances,” Yoohee said and we all followed her out again into the auditorium.

 

            “That’s was just an excellent show with many talented boys and girls, wasn’t it? Now we will announce the winners, when I call your team name please make your way up onto the stage,” The MC informed the audience.

            “Third place goes to… The Dazzlings with their beautiful performance of contemporary dancing,” he announced. Five beautiful girls in bright blue sparkling leotards walked up onto the stage with high postures.

            “Second place then goes to… Seoul Quartet who performed River Flows in You by Yiruma.” Four people went up onto the stage with a different instrument. One girl had a cello, another had a violin, a boy had viola and another boy had a violin as well.

            “Now first place goes to…” I held Sungmin’s hand and gave it a light squeeze. “Speed!”

            We all cheered and clapped. They received a golden trophy once they got up on stage.

            “Congratulations, and I hope you continue on doing well in your music career”

 

            “Congrats on your win today!” I said to them as we walked through the parking lot.

            “Thank you,” Sungmin said to me with a smile.

            “Who’s hungry cause I know I am,” Yoohee said. “How ‘bout some pork belly?”

            “Yes, please!” I called out and everyone looked at me. “What, I have cravings too!” I said and went inside the van.

 

AUTHOR

            As everyone was enjoying their meal, everyone suddenly became silent as Bomi munched on loudly picking at every single dish with her fork (though, this meal was more meant for the hands).

            “I’ve never seen a girl eat that much,” Sungmin said, slowly shoving a lettuce wrap in his mouth.

            “How can she shove that much food in ?” Jongkook questioned

            “Not even Yoohee eats that much,” Yano said.

            “I’m not fat Yoohwan and I never was!” She shouted at Yoohwan.

            Bomi then realized the sudden silenced at the table. “What?”

            “Nothing,”Sejun answered.

            “You guys better eat before I eat it all,” Bomi said placing another piece of meat in .

            “Okay, before anyone else take another bite let’s make a toast,” Yoohee announced, taking a glance at Bomi who yet put an eighth lettuce wrap in and continued to happily munching on it.

            “This is a celebration!” Yoohee lifted up her glass of alcohol while the students lifted up their glass of sparkling apple cider. “This goes to Speed for their first place win today and for Sungmin’s birthday tomorrow!”

            Bomi gasped nearly choking on her food. “It’s your birthday tomorrow?”

            “Ha-ha, yeah,” Sungmin face reddened from embarrassment.

            An idea popped up inside of Bomi’s head. “Get up,” she ordered Sungmin as she stood up from her seat.

            “What?” He looked up at Bomi with a confused expression.

            “Get up! We’ll back soon,” Bomi told the others and they nodded.

            “Have fun on your date!” Jiseok called out them.

            Bomi scowled at the boy and ever so calmly walked over to him and whispered into his ear. “You better keep that mouth of yours shut before your tongue ends up like that,” Bomi pointed to the meat sizzling on the grill.

            “Anyone up for some cow’s tongue?” Yoohee asked as she placed a whole tongue down on the grill, it landed on the hot grill with a satisfying sizzle.

            He gasped and covered his mouth with his hand and shook his head violently.

            “That’s what I thought,” she then grabbed Sungmin’s hand and dragged him outside.

            “Where are you taking me?” Sungmin asked

            I wonder where she’s taking me so suddenly after the mention of my birthday, Sungmin thought as Bomi let go of his hand and slowed down to a steady pace.

            He wished to go back to holding her hand again and so as if his wished has been granted the sidewalk soon was crowded citizens, he quickly grasped Bomi’s hand before he lost sight of her.

            “Don’t worry, you’ll see,” Bomi said with a smile and squeezed his hands as they pushed pass people.

            “What are we doing here?” He asked again once they arrived to a bakery.

            “Oh, why don’t you just be quiet?” Bomi rolled her eyes and looked into the display case. “Oh excuse sir, can I have this cake right here,” Bomi asked a male employee.

            The cake she chose was a small cake about the size of rice bowl perfect for one or two to share. Covered in white whipped cream and decorated with purple whip cream flowers.

            “Sure, one cake for the pretty lady,” he opened up the display and grabbed the small cake Bomi pointed to and placed it in a small box.

            Sungmin balled his open hand into fist to calm him down; it popped up and bounced around his body like a spring: a spring of jealousy. He glared at the male worker.

             “That’ll be nine dollars, ma’am,” the employee said with a kind smile.

            “Here you go,” Bomi handed him the cash, their hands touched for a moment which got Sungmin shaking with anger. She took the box off the counter. “Thank you.”

            Sungmin, calm down, he’s just an ordinary guy nothing to worry about, But man, this guy should maybe think first before he calls a girl pretty because what if the guy standing next to her, holding hands, is – oh, I don’t know – Her boyfriend! Sungmin thought as he kept an eye on the guy.

            Bomi then took Sungmin back outside and sat down on the nearest bench they could find. “Here, Happy Birthday!” Bomi handed him the boxed cake.

            “You didn’t have to, you know,” he took the box from Bomi’s hands.

            “No I had to, you are my best friend and best friends do things for each other like this,” Bomi explained and Sungmin started to feel the blood rushing up to this cheeks.

            Luckily, it’s cold outside so she can’t see me blushing at just her little actions, Sungmin thought.

            I think Sungmin is blushing, he’s so adorable. I hope I don’t start blushing. Bomi lifted her hands up and touch her face to make sure that her face wasn’t warm.

            Oh my! I think Bomi’s blushing too, I could just kiss her! Sungmin thought and smiled to himself.

            “Thank you,” he leaned over and gave Bomi a tight hug. “Now let’s eat some cake!”

==========================

Quintuple update! I think it's called Quintuple ha-ha.......