Chapter 21

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

BOMI

            "Do you like one those boys?" Eric asked me out of random.

            We were lying down outside on the lawn looking up at the clear blue sky enjoying each other's presence. Everything was perfect.

             I turned to my side to face him. "Boys?" 

            "Yeah, what were they called um…? Ah Bangtan, that’s it!" He snapped his fingers and pointed at me as he sat up.

            "Oh yeah," I said, shyly and slowly sat up as well.

            "So who is it?" Eric questioned and gave me his someone-is-in-love look. He poked my sides which made me burst into laughter.

            "Ji-Jin," I answered, holding his hands tightly to make him stop tickling me. He pulled his hands back and rubbed them.

            "Ah, Jin is a cutie! You do know that other kid uh… Taehyung I think likes you too," he said.

            "Yeah but, he's too clingy and he needs to control his temper. Did you not see how he yelled at me when I drowned or when he gave Jin glares when I wanted Jin instead of him?" I explained to him and rubbed my temples in frustration.

            "I understand. He doesn't really fit your style anyway," Eric nodded his head.

            "I have a style?" I raised an eyebrow.

            "Of course, you do. I made one up for you," he replied.

            "When was this?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

            "Ever since you started liking that Dujoon," he answered, slapping his soccer ball with his hand.

 

            I woke up with a jerk due to my alarm going off; I laughed a little thinking about what I just dreamt. I still wonder what my dreams mean. It really has no real meaning to it. Is it a sign that I made some decision or is Eric trying to say something to me?

            I shook it off once again and prepared myself for school.

 

            I stepped outside and made my way to school. "Bomi, wait up!" I turned around a see Sungmin jogging towards me.

            "Hi," I greeted him without a smile.

            "What's wrong?" He asked.

            "I don't know," I answered, walking forward and leaving him behind, dumbfounded. He then ran and caught up to me.

            "Fine, be like that!" He folded his arms and walked in front of me. He was trying to make me laugh but it wasn't working.

 

SUNGMIN

          "Fine, be like that!" I folded my arms and walked faster. I was hoping I would make her laugh but when I turned around, she still had her straight face on.

             I wonder what's wrong with her she was totally fine yesterday, I thought. Did she get into a fight with Jin?

            As soon as we reached school I thought, I should start a conversation. So without turning around, I started to talk to her.

            "So are you doing anything after school?" No answer.

            "So you're busy, what are you doing?" Still no answer. I turned around to see if she was there, turns out she was gone. I sighed and walked away.

 

BOMI

          Sungmin started asking me question but before I could answer them, I was pulled away into the building.

            "Leave me alone! I never even came with them!" I screamed knowing who it is.

            "Even if you didn't come with them, I'm having too much fun pulling you out and seeing what a coward you are," she said, laughing. She then kicked my side and I crouched down from the pain since she always end up hitting the same exact spot she kicked before.

 

            When the bell finally rang, her friends dropped me and they left following their Queen Bee. I was left on the ground to get up by myself and walk to class.

            I held onto to the wall to give me support as I steadily walked to class. Once I reached the door, I straightened up my body and tried to walk as normal as I can and walked to my seat.

            "Hi, Bomi!" Jin greeted and I nodded at him.

            "Huh, what happened to your smile?" Jimin asked and pointed to my lips and I shrugged my shoulder.

            I must've smiled a lot? I thought as I got up again to give my camping permission slip to Mrs. Chan.

            "Thank you very much Bomi!" She said with a smiled, I bowed and began to (sort of) walk back. But of course, I couldn’t just walk back to my seat safely.

             I tripped over someone's foot and landed face first onto the ground; I in some air through gritted teeth. The pain on my face was like someone pricking needles all over.

            "Watch where you're going," Dujoon laughed out loud followed by others.

            "Oh my, are you okay?" Mrs. Chan asked, leaning over her desk. I said nothing and nodded; I dusted off my skirt and walked back to the table.

            "Bomi, you're bleeding," Jin rubbed my face with his thumb. I slapped his hand away which was inked with little drops of blood. I turned around and slipped out my phone to look at my reflection and there was indeed a small scratch of four red lines on my cheek.

             Must have come from the backpack strap I landed on, I thought as I slipped my phone back into my pocket.

            Throughout the whole lesson, I was in pain. My whole face hurts, my hands are trembling, and my side feels like I've been stabbed thirty times. I was absolutely having a terrible and painful day.

 

            When lunch came, I scurried out of the classroom and hid myself in the library not wanting to seen by anyone and the library is the most peaceful place to be.

             When I walked into the room full of silence, I hid in the farthest corner where no one usually hangs out by. I lifted of my shirt and there it was the biggest and blackest bruise you've ever seen. It hurts so badly, even with the slightest move, it sends a sharp pain.

             I sat down on the ground and cried. Crying that this would all end, crying to cover up the pain but crying wouldn't help at all and I soon fell asleep from crying.

 

JIN

          Bomi has been acting strange today and I wonder why. I’ve been in deep thought when someone tapped on my shoulder.

            "Hey Jin," Sungmin stood in front of me with a worried look.

            "Hey, what's up?” I questioned him and jerked his head wanting me to follow him out into the hall to have a more private conversation.

           "Have you seen Bomi when the bell rang?" He asked. I shook my head. "Oh, have you noticed she's been acting weird this morning?"

            "Yeah, she didn't smile at me and when I tried to help her, she agressively slapped my hand away," I explained and he nodded.

            “You didn't fight with her, did you?” Sungmin let a breath of worry.

             My eyes widen and I furiously shook my head. "Oh no, never. Man, I just talked to her last night and she sounded fine to me."

             "I'm sorry. I'm just really worried." Sungmin wrunged her hands with a worried expression plastering his face. Everytime he inhale and exhaled, his exhale would become much louder. He was much more worried than I was and once again guilt came over me.

            “I am too, I just wish she wouldn’t push us away,” I said and ran my fingers through my hair.

            "She probably needs some space right now," Sungmin said. “Which is probably best for her but when she comes to again, make sure you keep an eye on her at all times.”

            I nodded and we then headed in different directions back to our tables.

 

BOMI

          I woke up to the sound of the bell ringing and rubbed by tired eyes. I always liked this corner of the library. I could fall asleep and then be woken by the loud bell since the sound box is right on the wall above the shelf I lean on.

            As I slowly got up, I made my way to the nurses' office so I don’t have to see all the people I want to avoid.

            "Hi Bomi!" The nurse greeted me and I bowed down ever so slightly. "What do you need today?"

            "Can you excuse me from gym please?" I asked her.

            "Of course, I can! But why?" She scanned me for any injuries and found none.

            She didn’t the bruise on my face or my side since both were hidden. However at this very moment, I don’t really care anymore so I lifted my shirt and showed her my bruise.

            "Oh my, how'd you get that?" She asked taking a good look at it.

            "I was playing soccer with my cousin," I answered, pulling my shirt back down.

            "Ouch, did he kick the ball a little too hard?" She questioned on and I nodded. "Well here, take this."

            She handed me a spray can of this medicine. "This helps with the pain it’s like liquid salon pas. I'll call up your gym teacher right now and you just spray that on and relax."

            I sprayed it on and, oh my goodness, did it feel good. It had an icy feel that just felt like heaven. The liquid dripped down my side leaving a trail of hot, icy coolness. I lied down on the bed and fell back asleep.

 

DASOM

          "Dammit Bomi, you're missing out on the fun," I muttered as I held the balls in my hand.

            "Dasom, throw the damn ball!" Dujoon yelled at me. I threw the ball and hit someone in the face. "I'm so NOT sorry!"

            "Dasom, throw below the neck!" Coach yelled as he showed me where to throw the ball by waving his hand under his neck.

            "Whatever," I murmured.

            This is the stupidest game of dodge ball without Bomi. Where the hell is she?! I screamed in frustration when a ball slammed into my thigh.

            "Ha, you're out Dasom!" Some kid yelled and I shot him a death glare. I hastily walked away and started texting Chanmi.

 

BOMI

          "Are you having fun?" Eric asked me and we sat down on the grass after dribbling the soccer ball around the lawn.

            "Of course, we’re together aren't we?" I answered, sweated dripped down my forehead. I wiped it off with my bare arm.

            "Good," he said with a grand smile.

            "Eric, why can't you tell me how I got here?" I asked him.

            "Because it's a secret," he put his finger to his lips.

            "But we never keep secrets from each other," I pouted.

            "Well, this one is a little too big to tell you," he replied.

            "Please tell me!" I begged.

            "Fine, might as well because if I don't you'll haunt me in my dreams," he said, crossing his arms.

            "You're already haunting mine," I muttered.

            "Hey, I heard that," he said and I giggled. "Anyway, so you actually didn't..."

 

            The bell rung. Awaking me from my dream, I reluctantly got up from the bed and made my way to class. Stupid bell, I was about to learn what Eric needed to say to me, I thought as I walked on.

            Step, shlump, step, shlump. With every agonizing step a wave of pain shot through me. Once I walked in, Jin and Taehyung immediately raced over to me.

            "Yah, where have you been?" Taehyung asked.

            "Are you okay?" Jin asked.

            "I'm fine," I walked passed them and sat in my seat. "Just leave me be."

            Throughout free period, the boys constantly tried to talk to me but I ignored them and put my head down and pretended to fall asleep. To make it even better, I put on my earphones and played music from the radio app on my phone.

            The final bell rung and I sat up and deeply sighed. I took out a stack of sticky notes and wrote a small message to myself and shoved it into my pocket. I got up and quickly ran out of the class.

 

            "What’s the rush?" Dasom asked, pushing me back into a wall. I grunted as my back hit the cement wall.

             Minah and another girl were holding me tightly by my arms. "You know I got a manicure during lunch from Mrs. Kim since I did her nails so I don't think I can beat you today but that doesn't mean I still can't see you cry today. Girls!"

            Couple girls came out of nowhere and start cracking their knuckles, popping their necks as if they would scare me. Of course, I was scared to be beaten to death but their threatening actions didn't scare me at all for some reason, I found it quite funny. The way they made it look so dramatic just wanted to make me laugh. I'm just not in the mood today to be frightened by useless acts of causing fear to people. Nonetheless, this is how I felt on the inside. The outside of me showed a very differnt picture.

            “Please, please don’t hurt me!” I could feel the tears b and sloshing inside me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.

            "Go ahead, do your thing." Dasom waved her hand and I looked away.

            The Minah and Chanmi released their grip on me. The girl with the pink shirt kicked me in the face which ached like a smoldering fire. I crumbled down to floor and hid my face away from another hit. The other girl started kicking my legs while pink shirt was slamming her foot into my stomach.

            This continued on for minutes, maybe, even an hour as my tears and blood spilled out onto the, cold, tile floor.

            "Kay, I think that should be enough, thank you ladies," Dasom said and smiled at the two girls. I saw she handed the girls some cash.

            I laid still on the ground as she walked closer to me; she then kicked me once more in the stomach. "Why don't you just die and disappear from this school forever. I never want to see your hideous face ever!" She hastily walked away.

            Once she was out of sight, I slowly sat up and rubbed my face. I don't know why but when she left, I started laughing. I was literally going crazy.I picked myself up and laughed even more but winced at the pain. I laughed some more but ended up coughing up drops of blood. I dropped back down to the ground. I got back up and used the wall for support as the world spun around me.

             I must be going crazy.

            I slowly, crept up the narrow staircase leading up to the best place to be right now. I pushed the steel door opened and took a deep breath feeling the cold, icy wind against my face.

            I gathered up all my energy and stepped out onto the ledge.

===============================================

Ayy sorry about that. I had a very unexpected and unprepared sleepover with my cousins so yeah.... I'm Back!!