Chapter 9

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

BOMI

            I flailed my arms around not being able to swim and having to be dropped in the deepest part of the pool.   

            Maybe this is my time to go. Maybe I'll be happy when I'm gone and I won't have to wash this damn uniform again, I thought.

            I stopped moving and let myself sink to the bottom.

            I'll finally be with you. Please wait for me.

 

TAEHYUNG

 I watched as Dujoon carried someone out of the classroom. It took me a moment to realize whose long brown hair belongs.

            "Bomi? That’s Bomi!” With that I took running off.

 I watched as the three left the pool laughing.

             What were they doing in the pool and where's Bomi? Where's Bomi... I thought as the questioned drifted around my brain. I gasped.

            "Bomi!" I burst through the pool doors and searched around for Bomi but she was nowhere in sight. I heard a ripple in the water and quickly walked over and looked into the pool and there was Bomi slowly making her way to the bottom.

             "NO!" I screamed and jumped in (despite, me being in a two hundred-fifty dollar uniform that was freshly ironed this morning).

            As I swam closer to Bomi, I reached out and grabbed her hand to make sure she doesn't drift any farther. When I had a tight grip on her I grabbed her by the waist and swam up to the surface. I pulled her out of the pool and laid her head on my lap.

            "Come on, wake up!" I shook her but I knew this wasn't going to help. So I started to push onto her chest.

            After a long while, she started to cough up water. I sighed in relief.

            "Taehyung," she said in a weak voice.

            "Don’t worry, I’m here for you," I said as I moved hair away from her face.

            "Why'd you save me?" She asked as she sat up.

            "Huh, why did I save you?" I repeated the question and she just looked at me with a confused look. "Well, because you're my friend."

            "Lies," she said in a cold voice. "You only kept me alive so you can just get entertainment which is me being bullied."

            What is this girl talking about? I've been with her whenever she was in trouble; I thought.

             I was getting a bit angry for the fact that I just saved her and now her telling me that I shouldn’t have saved her.

            "What?" I questioned my voice shaking with anger.

            "This was a perfect moment for me to be happy, not to be here anymore you don’t know what pain and misery I go through every day," she answered, tears trickling down her face.

            "And leave me! How could you? All I have been doing is being nice to you, I became your friend. I really care for you and this is how you treat me after saving you. I saved you because I can't think of a day without you!" I snapped. Her face was covered with fear and with that she took off running.

            I know I have frightened her but she made me mad and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I know I did wrong, I know I wasn't supposed to say those words in this situation. I probably made her more depressed knowing that now she thinks she doesn't have any more friends.

 

BOMI

            My body trembled with shock and fear when Taehyung snapped so I took off running. And I kept running. Not looking back.

             Tears dripped down my faces, I wiped them away but they kept returning. Taehyung scares me so much when he is angry. I don’t know what happens to him when he’s mad but it’s like a demon just takes over him and there’s no stopping him until he realizes what he has done wrong.

            Finally, I stopped running to take a breath; I looked up realizing where I was.

            Why did my feet take me here? I thought looking up at the sign decorated with pinks and brown swirls and stars. I guess he's my only hope and friends. I wiped more of my tears away and stepped inside the warm shop. 

            "Hey Bomi... What happened to you, why are you wet?" Sungmin asked as I stepped into the bakery.

            I realized that even from running, it did not help drain much water and so I was dripping wet. He leaned over the counter and swept away wet strands of hair away from my face. I blushed.

            "I fell," I answered.

            "In the pool?" He let out a small giggle and I nodded.

 

SUNGMIN

            "In the pool?" I giggled because it sounded so ridiculous. She nodded in response, looking down at her feet. “I’ll go get you a towel.”

            What if she was pushed by one of the students? I thought and I bit my lip. Or she might of had pool cleaning duty but then again honors students don't have the job to do school cleaning only classrooms.

            "I think I'll take your offer," she said before I walked any further. I eagerly looked at her face to find some truth in her words.

            "Really?” I questioned and she nodded once more. “I leave in thirty minutes but let’s see if I can leave early today?" I climbed over the counter and bent down to reach for some towels. I set them down on the counter and nodded my heads towards her. “Take these and dry yourself off with them. I’ll be right back, okay?” I walked to the back to talk with my manager.

            "Junsung!" I called out. Junsung’s father is the actual owner of the cafe, but he gave it to his only son while his daughter went to law school. Junsung is cool with it though since he gets to manage people as he likes to put it since he’s manager.

            "Yes, Sungmin?" Looking at his clipboard, he made check marks off the ever so long list of supplies. He was doing the inventory which was actually supposed to be my job right now, but I kept dropping stuff so he said he would do it himself.

            "Can I leave a bit early today?" I asked.

            "Why?" He questioned with a sigh, looking up at me.

            "I promised my friend I would take her out today," I answered.

            "Your girlfriend?" He asked with an interested tone.

            "No, she’s not my girlfriend. Can I go please? I’ll work extra next week," I asked, cutely and pouted my lips..

            "Ay, stop that. You aren’t cute! It’s cringe,” he shivered. He shook his head at me. “Fine but she better turn into your girlfriend soon.

            "Thank you so much," I said as I ripped off my apron and bowed. I ran back out to meet up with Bomi, grabbing my pea coat from underneath the counter again in the process. She continued to pat herself with the towel. “Hmm… you’re still fairly wet…”

“Yeah…” she pouted. Bomi is out here being all cute and she doesn't even realize she’s doing such cute actions.

 "Hm! I got it!” I took out my phone and sent a text message to my cousin. “Is there anywhere in particular you want to go to?”

            “I don't know," She responded.  

            "Well, we gotta make a trip to somewhere first and then we can where ever you want. As of right now, let’s keep you wrapped up in these towels," I took her to the bus stop and we waited for the bus to arrive.

“Sungmin, It’s a little embarrassing to have these towels on me,” she whispered. “Every one is staring.”

I took off my pea coat an wrapped it around her on top of the towels. “Better?” She nodded with a slight red tinge to her cheeks.

            Once the bus arrived, we quickly hopped on. We stood up holding the handlebars. I watched as water dripped continue off her clothes. The bus violently swayed to one side and she let go of the bar. I caught her just before she fell to the ground.

            “Thanks,” she said and curled a piece of hair behind her ear.

            “No problem,” I smiled at her and she smiled back. I leaned over and curl a lock of hair behind her other ear. We both flushed a bright shade of red.

 

            Once we arrived to our destination, Bomi gave me a weird look.

            "The mall?" She raised her eyebrows.

            "Come on, I love the mall," I said and took her hand. “This is like my second home besides my dance studio.”

            We walked inside and her eyes lit up. "Wow, I never been to this mall before," she said and looked around.

            "Come on I'll show you around," I said, our hands were still intertwined and I didn’t want to unravel them.

 

BOMI

            "Are you hungry?" He asked.

            We went to a small shop where they sold pretzels and ordered two. Afterwards, we strolled over to a nearby cafe and ordered hot chocolate since I'm not much of a fan of coffee.

            "I don’t think I’ve ever been to this mall before," I said, sipping my hot chocolate.

            "What? You're missing out on all the fun," Sungmin said as he brought out his phone.

            Suddenly, Sungmin’s phone began to ring. "I'll be right back, I need to answer this," he then left the cafe.

 Sungmin took me all over and around the mall and I had to say it was pretty fun being with Sungmin.         

 

SUNGMIN

            I wasn't actually receiving a call, I played a ringtone I have on my phone to trick her into thinking it was a call.  After I left the cafe, I dialed my cousin who works here at the mall.

            "Hello," my cousin said on the other line.

            "Hey Eunjung, I’m on my way right now. Be there in 3," I gave her the heads up.

“Wait, can you explain-” I hung up. Sometimes, I have a habit of not explaining or explaining something to someone really fast and then walk away or hang up without giving the person a chance to respond.

            I quickly ran all the way to the clothes store that my cousin works in. "You have it?" I asked her.

            "Yeah, here," she handed me a bag. "So is this girl your girlfriend?"

            "No, she's just a friend," I replied as I slid my card through the card reader.

            "Okay and she fell in a pool? How?" She questioned, tapping the computer screen.

            "I told you in the text to don’t ask why ugh, I don’t know when she came to me she was soaked but I guess now she's a little dry but she's still pretty wet," I answered.

            "Okay then, you better get back to her before she wonders where you’re at," she said and handed me my receipt.

            "Thank you, Eunjung," I said, waving bye to her.

            “Whatever,” she said and returned working. Eunjung can be really caring sometimes but she just has that attitude of not caring which really bugs me sometimes.

            Anyway, I made my way back to the cafe where I found a confused Bomi.

            "Where'd you go?" She asked.

            "I had to use the restroom and had to make a quick stop somewhere," I responded. "Here take this," I placed the plastic bag on the table.

            "What's this?" She asked.

            "Look for yourself," She took the bag curiously, opened it and gasped.

            "Oh my, are these clothes for me? I can't take this, it must've been expensive," she said, placing the bag back on the table and pushed it towards me. I smiled and grabbed her hand to grab a hold of the handles.

           "It was only $80 which isn't much especially to a pretty girl like you" but I said this instead, "No, take it you're still wet and you reek of chlorine so please take it as a token of our friendship. Come on, I'll take you to the restroom to change." I took her free hand and walked her through a hallway that leads to the restrooms.

            "Oh and anything that’s in there, I didn't pick out it was my cousin, she works in a store here," I said. "Don't worry, I'll be out here when you come out," she nodded and went in the restroom.

 

BOMI

I can't believe he is doing this for me; he really is a sweet guy. I dug through the bag and there's pair of blue jeans, a cute gray wool sweater, even a bra and underwear, socks and shoes too! I’m just astonished that he would so this for me and we haven’t been friends for a long time too.

            After I finished, I placed my wet uniform inside the bag and left the stall. Before I left the restroom, I took a moment to look in the mirror.

            Wow, this is just amazing. I fixed my hair up a bit and pushed the door opened.

            As Sungmin said, he was waiting in the hall I guess he didn't notice me come out since he was busy with his phone.

            "Ahem."

 

SUNGMIN

            "Ahem."

            I looked up and there's Bomi dressed up. I swallowed down some saliva since my throat was feeling dry.

            "Wow! You look good and dry," I joked. She suddenly engulfed in a hug, my eyes widen with shock.

            "Thank you so much you don’t understand how grateful I am," she said with her face buried in my chest.  My shirt getting a little damp, I can tell she was crying. We parted and I wiped her tears with my thumbs. “This is seriously the nicest thing someone has ever done to me,” she said and let out a few more tears.

            "Don't cry," I said with a smile and ruffled up her hair. She smiled at me and we walked on through the mall talking about whatever and getting to know her more.

            Maybe the two of us could work out well but I want to know your relationship with Bangtan first. I can’t really ask right now since we are still in the process of becoming closer but I think that ended with the many skinship moments and that we hold hands, I thought as I admired Bomi’s flawless white skin.

            She’s so beautiful in so many ways. She may have a few scars here and there but that doesn’t catch my attention when I look at her. She turned her head to look at me and I quickly looked away. She silently giggled as she flushed a light shade of pink and I did the same.

 

BOMI

We went to a bunch of Sungmin's favorite stores and I helped him pick out clothes for him. I chose a lot of button-front shirts for him since I like guys who have that preppy look. Then we went an arcade and played a bunch games. He helped me steer my way to the finish line in a racing game then, obviously, being the dancer he is, he beat me in a game of Dance Dance Revolution. It wasn’t very fair though since I can’t dance and I never played the game before. 

Today was just so much fun; I never thought I could have such a fun day in my life ever since Eric left and never smiled so much or even laughed. Sungmin was as kind as ever, he spent so much money on me considering he works at a bakery.

            Most of the time, I admired his cute face. He some acne scars on his cheeks but he was just so perfect looking. The day was almost at end and he offered to walk me home. When we arrived, I gave him a well-deserved hug before I went inside the house.

            Now I have to decide if I will be going skating tomorrow and face Taehyung or stay home and ignore them.

            As I walked to my room, I bumped into my mother. "Useless girl coming home late," she grumbled as I walked by. I grimaced at her words and shut my door tightly.

            Now I deserve a good hot shower after all this craziness today. I thought and walked into the bathroom.