Chapter 5

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

BOMI

          I shivered as a cold breeze blew through the air. I looked up at the sky layered with dark, gloomy clouds.

             I wrapped my blazer closer to me and took faster steps as I neared the school gates.

            "Hey Bomi!" Taehyung greeted me as I walk into the building

            "Hi," I was taken back at his sudden cheeriness. I proceed to walk avoiding eye-contact with him because I knew people were watching me.

            "How come you don't have a jacket, it’s so cold outside?" He asked, rubbing his arms pretending as if he were outside again.

            "I don’t own one but I can make do without one," I answered.

 

TAEHYUNG

            Stupid! Why do you have to ask such stupid questions? I face-palm myself, hopefully she didn’t see me do it.

            "Oh umm... Hey, let’s go to the cafeteria that’s where the other boys are at," I said, trying to change the subject.

            "Yeah, okay," she replied with a nod.

 

BOMI

            "Bomi!" They all greeted me happily; I plopped down next to Jin.

            I don’t know why but in makes me feel safe and happy so I feel closer to him even though it’s been a few days that I actually opened up to them. It just feels right.

            "Morning Bomi," Jin greeted with a kind smile.

            "Morning in," I greeted back to him. Then I started having a coughing fit because my spit went down my wind pipe instead. Jin started patting my back but it wasn't helping.

            "I'm… Gonna… Go... Get… Water," I said in between coughs. I got up and went to the nearest water fountain which was just outside of the cafeteria.

 

TAEHYUNG

            Once Bomi was out of sight, I turned and faced the older boys.

            "Guys, I think we should take Bomi out again today," I proposed. "Like to the mall or something."

            "Why?" Yoongi gave me a confused look.

            "Because did you not see her? She didn’t have a jacket on and it's really cold outside," I explained. "Plus she said she doesn’t own a jacket."

            "So basically your plan is to buy her a jacket? It is the right thing to do for Bomi but you might make her feel burdened," Hoseok said.

            "Why would that make her feel burdened?" I questioned him.

            "Well one, we still barely know her and two, jackets are expensive," he responded and I agreed to his points.

            "But still."

            "But what, you like her don’t you? Ha! What, you think buying her a jacket might make her like you?" Minho smirked at me. I clenched my fist at my sides.

            Stay calm.

            "Yes, I like her as a friend and I feel really bad for her," I lied at the first part, I really do like Bomi.

             I get butterflies whenever she smiles; she has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. Though, I’ve only seen it once.

            "So you pity her?" Yoongi questioned with an eyebrow raised.

            "What? No!" I crossed my arms. “Okay maybe but–“

            "I think it’s a good idea," Jin said.

            "Thank you. See Jin agrees with me," I said, smiling trying to cover up what I was about to say.

            "Fine, whatever but as long as you're paying," Jungkook said leaning back in his seat; he struggled a bit since there was no backrest.

            Finally after a long while, Bomi came back. "Sorry for the wait, the line was long," she said as she sat back down.

            I look like she had been crying and her cheek is a bit red but you know she was having a coughing fit so I just shrugged it off.

            "No, its okay," I answered. "So are you doing anything after school?"

            "Yeah, I have work," she replied.

             No! My plan is ruined! I squeezed my hands together. Relax, Taehyung. It’s just one rain check; I can always take her sometime later.

            "Oh, where do you work at?" Jimin asked her.

            "I work as a waitress at Yong Su San," she replied.

            "What? We love going there to eat!" I exclaimed. "How come we never see you?"

            "It depends, where do you usually sit?" She questioned us.

            "We sit on the left side where the big windows are," I responded.

            "I serve people on the right side of that area," she said. “That’s probably why.”

            "Can we come along with you?" I asked.

            "I don’t know I guess," she said.

 

BOMI

            Now they want to come to work with me. These guys must be trying really hard to be my friend and its working. I tilted my head to the side to rethink about my life choices.

            "So you go to work after school, how long do you work for?" Jin asked.

            "If we get out school at three and I end work at nine so I work six hours every Tuesday and Thursday," I answered.

            "Guys, its 7:25 we should head to class now," Yoongi said getting up quickly and running off. “Bye.”

            "Is he always like that?" I asked Jin out of curiosity since last month of hanging out with them every time it was five minutes before class starts Yoongi always runs off to class.

            "Yeah he's been class president throughout middle school and still now high school so he's like really into school," Jin answered and I nodded. “But the strange thing is he is so lazy and doesn’t give a crap about anything! I will never understand his laziness and his academic successes.”

            Jin rubbed his face in frustration as I quietly laughed.

            The bell rang right as we stepped in but if we were late, it would've been okay since Mrs. Chan wasn’t here yet. As always.

 

~ End of the Day ~

            "Bomi, wait up!" I heard a familiar voice called out to me. I turned around and there was the boys walking up to me.

            "Take us with you," Jimin pleaded cutely which I didn’t find exactly cute but it was funny.

            "Why? Can’t you meet me there?" I asked with an annoyed tone. "You know the place anyway."

            "Because if you don’t, we won’t leave you alone," Jimin crossed his arms.

            "You do that anyway," I muttered.

            "What was that?" Jimin asked, smiling.

            "Fine, whatever you can come along," I said, rolling my eyes/

            I can't believe I just gave in like that! I mentally face palmed myself on the forehead.

            This is the first time in two years that someone walked me home.

            I remember when my cousin, Eric used to come and walk me home every day even if we did go to different schools, he would walked that extra mile to my school from his school just to walk me ten minutes to my house but sadly he had to move someplace else so I never got to see him again. It was my entire fault that he had to go.

            "It was my fault," I thought out loud.

            "What's your fault?" Jin asked.

            "Nothing," I answered quickly and shook my head.

            As we got closer and closer to my house, I stopped in my tracks.

            "You have to wait here," I said to boys.

            "Why?" Jungkook asked.

            "Because my parents will freak out seeing me bring seven boys to my house," I explained.

            They might call me a or something worse; I thought waiting for their response.

            "We understand," Hoseok said.

            "Thanks, so just wait here by this tree my house is just right there," I pointed to a dirty light blue one story house that stood fifty feet away from the tree we stood at. All the boys nodded, I turned around and walked towards my house.

            My parents were talking about bills in the kitchen as I walked in.

            Sometimes they try to make me pay for the house bill since I make $96 every week for those two days of work but my parents work at some large company so they get paid $30 dollars an hour for seven hours and that’s every day for the both of them unlike me, only going to work for two days. In the end, they always pay for it anyway.

            I quickly stripped out of my uniform and into my work uniform.

            As I was leaving the house, my father stopped me. I stood outside of the door facing my father.

            "Nappeun Nyeon, can you explain to me why the electricity bill is so high?" He asked me with his arms crossed and a magazine rolled up underneath his armpit.

            How the hell would I know! I thought as I looked up at him with a confused expression.

             The only electricity I use in the house is the light in my room since I don’t own any electronics whereas my parents who have smartphones, tablets, desktops, laptops, three flat screen TVs, and two Canon cameras.

            "I don’t know," I responded.

            "You’re a liar!" He yelled at me and whacked me hard on my head with the magazine multiple times.

             I cringe at the pain but I try to hold up my stance. A tear rolled down my cheek as I held my head up.

            Be strong, Bomi! You must endure a few more hits.

AUTHOR

            The boys witness Bomi being hit; their faces were full of shock.

            "Did you guys see that?" Jin asked the other boys and they nodded.

            "Why... Why would anyone do that?" Namjooon said anger was felt in his words.

            "Even our parents weren't like that," Jungkook crossed his arms shaking his head.

            "Let’s not bring those people up, for Taehyung's sake." Hoseok whispered, firmly. He spoke quietly so Taehyung wouldn’t hear but his focus was all on Bomi.

            "Quick she’s coming act like you didn’t notice anything," Yoongi turned around and scratched his head as he looked up at the sky looking confused.

            Tears dripped down Bomi's cheeks. Why would he hit me for no damn reason I didn't do anything wrong! Bomi thought. She wiped her tears as she got closer to the boys.

            "Sorry for taking a long time," she apologized, sniffling.

            "It’s okay," Jin said, giving her a comforting smile and placed a hand on her shoulder.

            He must of have hurt you a lot to make her to cry, Jin thought as Bomi returned him a small sad smile.

            "You didn’t see anything weird right?" She asked with a worried look.

            Maybe, they witness my father hitting me, Bomi thought as she bit her lip, waiting for an answer from one of the boys.

            "If you mean by weird like Namjoon trying to dance to a really girly and cute dance then yes, I witness something weird," Jin responded jabbing a thumb towards the older boy.

            "Yah!" Namjoon yelled angrily, stepping close to Jin.

            "Sorry but I just had to say it," Jin said, putting his hands up and let out a small laugh.

            "Let’s get going," Bomi said, giggling.

 

BOMI

            "Bomi!" Asuna ran over to me and gave me a hug. "It’s been so lonely without you!"

            Asuna works full time here since she lives alone and needs to pay for rent and her game design classes so she always gets lonely working here without me and Daehyun around.

            When she finally lets go of me, she notices the boys standing behind me. "Oh, who are these lovely boys?" She whispers to me but I could tell the boys were listening in.

            "Just some boys who keep stalking me," I said with a small smile.

            "Yah!" Jin shouted, crossing his arms. "We're her friends."

            “Bomi, go check in and I'll sit your friends in your section," and before I could say anything Asuna was already escorting them to a table.

            I walked to the back of the kitchen to find Daehyun fiddling with his tie as always.

            "Late as always," Daehyun said, his attention still on his tie.

            It irritates me how he always fixes his tie the wrong way. I walk over to him, slap his hands off his tie, and fixed it myself.

            "He-he thanks," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

            "Whatever," I said, punching in my worker ID into the computer when I finished fixing his tie.

            "So who are the guys out there? Is one of them your boyfriend or are all of them yours? Dang, girl I didn’t know you had it in you," he patted my head and I swatted his hand away.

            "Yah, do you want die!" I threatened slapping his arm.

            "That was the most threatening thing you've ever said to me," he said, wiping fake tears away. "I'm so proud!"

            “Just shut up already! You guys are like a married couple,” Kirito said, walking in.

            "Looks like I have to dig a bigger grave for the both of you!" I barked at the two as I walked out while Daehyun followed closely behind.

            "So who are they, anyway? They look familiar," Daehyun questioned.

            "I don’t know, they just started hanging out with me for no reason but supposedly they’re popular at our school," I responded. “Why don’t you take a look at them yourself?”

            We walked over to their table with a few menus.

            “Because I don’t check out guys, I check out girls,” he answered and I whacked him with the menus: the hard-covered menus.

            “Ouch! Park Bomi!” Daehyun rubbed the head and glared at me.

            "Jung Daehyun?" Yoongi snapped his fingers.

            “Bangtan?” Daehyun smiled. I looked over at the two boys.

            So they know each other? Well, of course, they know each other; I thought and shook my head.

            "It’s been a while, hasn’t it," Jungkook said.

            "How come you never told me you were close buddies with these popular idiots?" He asked me, I shrugged.

            “Hey, we’re not that stupid, these little munchkins got into the honors classes,” Jungkook pointed out.

            “Wow, what an improvement!” Daehyun clapped his hands.

            “Okay, so are you going to take their order or am I going to?” I asked him.

            “Whoa ho, someone wants some time alone. Don’t worry, I got chu,” he nudged my side and growled at him.

 

            The boys stayed at the restaurant the whole time as I worked, for some reason they made work more comfortable and I was a little embarrassed working in front of them.

            I really don’t get these boys. It may seem like I talk to them a lot but that’s when I'm really interested in the conversation or when they’re asking me a question. But what I really do to them is shrug, nod my head, or simply ignore them.

            Maybe they just pity me.

            Of course, why haven’t I thought of it earlier? They might just be like this now but sooner or later when they think I trust them, they will stab me right in the back. 

            Or maybe just maybe things might actually be right. I’ll just have to wait and see.

----------------------------------------

I hope you new readers are enjoying this so far!