Chapter 3

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

BOMI

            I woke up at my usual time at 6 A.M. I glanced at my nice, clean, and expensive uniform. That word pinches my heart every time I say it.  

            I dragged myself out of bed and got ready to start another bitter day.

 

TAEHYUNG

            "Mom, Mom…Mom! Mom!" I shot up breathing heavily sweat dripped down my forehead. "Bad dream again."

            It’s been almost eight years why do I still have these dreams? They’re gone. They’re not a part of my life anymore.

            "Are you okay, Taehyung?" Hoseok asked me rushing in to my side. I didn’t’ relaized he entered my room. I nod my head. "Are you sure?" He gave me a worried look.

            "Yes I’m sure, Mother," I joked.

            "Ha-ha you’re so funny,” he scrunched up his face in annoyance and flicked my forehead.

            He doesn’t like being called mom, even though, he did take care of me when we were little so he was sort of like a mom.

            “Hurry up and get ready for school or we’ll leave without you.” He got up and left the room.

            Okay, Taehyung lets have a good day today. Maybe, we will be in the honors class. Hwaiting! I pumped a fist in the air to get myself motivated.

            I decided to add the gray sweater vest to my uniform so I look more professional, or smart, I should say.

             

 

BOMI

            "Bomi-ah," people cooed as I walked through the hallways.

            Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! Please leave me alone.

            Some people pushed me around the hallway as if I was some basketball being passed to the other team members. I picked up my pace shoving people away from me as they crowded around me.

            "I heard you tried seducing Dujoon again," One girl said to me. I stopped in my tracks and turned around to look at her.

            "What?" I questioned her as she giggled.

            "Last night, you were seducing Dujoon. Come on, everyone knows you liked him and still do," she folded her arms and gave me an I’m-right-and-you’re-wrong look.

            "I never did and I never will!" I yelled before walking off.

            Bomi, why don’t you just leave this wretched world? Because I want to show those stupid jerks I can become successful. But you don’t even have a future plan for yourself. True but I'll one day plan out how I want my future to look if I don’t choose to leave. I bumped into someone which knocked me back to reality.

            "I am so sorry, please don’t hurt me!" I scrunched up my body and put my hands up to try to defend myself.

            "Why would I do that?" He asked with a confused tone.

            I looked up to see an unfamiliar face, smiling. His bangs they almost cover eyes just a bit so he swept it over to the left side of his face to get himself a little more situated after bumping into each other.

            He must be a new student, I thought as I stared at his face wondering how I should respond back to this new kid.

 

JIN

            "Because everyone would," she answered. I looked into her beautiful brown eyes and saw sadness, loneliness and pain.

            Those were the only words that could describe what I saw in her eyes.

            "It’s okay I wouldn’t hurt anyone. Okay, maybe, my brothers but I wouldn’t hurt anyone. Uhm... hi I'm Jin," I put out my hand to shake hands with her, but she just stared at me as if she was looking right through me.

            "I have to get to class now," she swiftly walked pass me.

            I pressed my lips in a straight line and put my hand down. I shoved both hands into my pockets and continued my way to class.

            "Jin!" The fan girls cooed as I walk pass them.

 

BOMI

            What a weird kid. He didn't shove me when I bumped into him or hit me like everyone else would. I scratched my head as I walked into class and, of course, Mrs. Chan was not here yet.

            Mrs. Chan, please stop being late. You're only giving them an opportunity to hurt me.

            "Bomi!" Dasom and her crew called. “I hope you’re having a nice morning!” She flipped her one hundred dollar salon priced hair.

             Why spend $100 on making your hair look nice when you can buy a ten dollar bottle of Pantene? At least it makes your hair shiny, soft, and smell good.

            “You should really get your hair done it looks like a bird’s nest.” She giggled. “So then you can get fabulous hair like mine except my hair will always be better!”

            At least my hair is natural and healthy!

            Dasom’s hair was probably bleached to get that color to show up. Her hair was brown with blonde tips and everyone knows people with dark hair have a harder time getting certain colors to show up in their hair.

            “Are you even paying attention?” Chanmi whacked me on the head with her workbook.

            Dasom scoffed. “You will pay attention after this.”

 

JIN

            I couldn't sit still because I'm too excited. The thought of me making it into honors would just be an honor.

            I studied so hard all summer, or a week before school started, but it would mean so much to be put into those higher classes especially to get those credits for college.

            "Yah, stop shaking your leg, it’s annoying," Jimin whispered to me.

            "Sorry." I smiled at him and started to the rub the buttons on my blazer.

            "Okay class, I have your results and it looks like four of you guys made it," the teacher said. "And the four people are..."

 

BOMI

            "Aw, look the pig can't reach! She’s too fat and short," Some girl pointed out and laughed.

            “I wish you would stop calling me a pig,” I spoke quietly.

            “Do you guys hear that?”

            “Yeah, it kind of sounds like… Oink! Oink!”

            They stole my pencil case and placed it onto of the tall cabinet and now I'm trying to climb on top of the lockers but it’s too tall for me to pull myself up.

            Where the hell is Mrs. Chan? I thought as I grew frustrated.

            "Oh my gosh, it’s Dujoon!" Dasom announced. I stopped and my eyes widen in shock.

            "And Bangtan!" Some other girls squealed.

            I turned around to see four guys standing at the front of the class room. Dujoon and… Jin? I shook my head and turned back around to fetch my pencil case.

            "Dujoon, look the pig over there is trying to get her pencil case from the top cabinet," I heard Dasom say.

            I heard shuffling and footsteps head towards me. A chair slammed down onto the ground and someone stepped up onto it and grabbed my pencil case; his large shadow casted down on me.

            "D-Dujoon," I was completely shocked. He stuck out his hand with my pencil case in it.

            I was just about to grab it when he quickly swiped his hand away, ripped opened my pencil case, and threw it outside the classroom. Dujoon burst into laughter, which caused everyone else joined in laughter. I glared at Dujoon as tears dripped down my face.

     "Aw, is the little baby pig crying because her poor pencils are broken?" He pouted at me then laughed out loud, holding onto his aching stomach. "Oink oink!"

            "Her pencils are worth more than her!" Some boy pointed out.

            I stood there with my mouth agape. Out of all the things people said to me that had to be one of the most abhorrent things someone had said about me.

            I walked out quickly to go pick up all my writing utensils. A few pencils and pens were broken so now I only have two mechanical pencils to rely on for the rest of the school year.

             As I crawled around searching for more of my pens, pencils, and erasers, someone else went down on their knees and helped picked some them up as well.

            I looked up to see his face again and yet again, his bangs covered his eyes.

 

JIN

            I couldn’t stand seeing her getting hurt again so I ran out and decided to help her pick up her stuff.

            "Hey, are you alright?" I asked her and she nodded. I didn’t want to bother her by asking questions so I stayed silent for a while.

            "I think that’s everything lets go back inside the classroom." I offered her a hand up from the ground, but she stood up on her own and went back inside. Not even taking one glance back at me.

 

BOMI

        Why is he even helping me? Sooner or later he's going to turn his back on me like everyone else.

            "I am so sorry, kids! My car broke down," Mrs. Chan said rushing in as Jin and I also stepped inside the classroom. "Okay, where are my new students? Come on up!"

Dujoon, Jin and the other two guys stood in front of the classroom.

            "Introduce yourselves even if you already know most of the students in here," Mrs. Chan ordered.

            "Hey, my name is Gu Dujoon." He did forty-five degree bow. I can tell he thinks introducing himself is useless since everyone knows who he is. What a conceited prick.

            "Hello, my name is Kim Seokjin but please call me Jin!" Jin did a ninety degree bow. His bangs got in his face again so he flipped his hair so it went back over to the left side of his face.

            "Hi, I’m Kim Taehyung," he was a tall skinny guy with black hair. His hair was perfectly in placed with not very many little hairs sticking out. I think he wanted to look smart because he was put in the honors classes.

            He’s probably not even that bright, I thought as I looked at him and then went back to staring blankly at the textbook held in front of me.

            "Hi, the name’s Park Jimin, so don’t wear it out,” he winked which got all the girls in awe.

            I could only roll my eyes and cringe at his way of trying to be cool. He was short compared to Jin and Taehyung. I don’t know why but his hair reminds me of the top of a mushroom, it’s like kind of roundish and it’s just weird but it looks good on him. I guess.

            "Okay so you can choose your seats. We might have to find another stool or desk for one of you," Mrs. Chan said, she placed a finger on her chin (probably thinking about the extra stool).

            "I would like to sit next to Bom-" Dujoon started, I gasped that he almost said my name but he was cut off.

            "The three of us would like to sit over there," Jin said, pointing to himself, Jimin, and Taehyung.

            "Fine with me," Mrs. Chan smiled. "Now Dujoon, I will call the custodian to bring in another stool." Dujoon folded his arms and huffed.

            I looked back down at my book that I was "reading" as they walked towards me. Jin sat down next to me, that Taehyung guy sat in front of me and Jimin sat next to Taehyung.

            "Hey!" I looked up and it was Taehyung. I gave him a slight bow with my head. "What’s your name?" He asked giving me a small smile.

            Ring!

            Saved by the bell. I got down from the stool and briskly walked out of the classroom.

            Why are new students so weird? Always want to become friends with the first person they see. Don’t they know they need to learn who to trust first?

 

TAEHYUNG

            "What a strange girl," I said, tilting my head to the side. "Is she new because I haven’t seen her around?"

            "No, she's been here since like freshmen year," Jin replied.

            "Really? I haven’t seen her," I was utterly confused.

            "I've seen her running around a few times," Jin tapped his pen on his workbook obviously uninterested in our conversation. Haven’t even started a lesson yet and this kid is already doing work.

            "Oh, well I don’t think she knows us," I said, scratching my ear.

            "That’s impossible! Everyone knows us!" Jimin stated, putting emphasis on everyone by spreading his arms out.

            “But that doesn’t mean we should know everyone,” Jin said, continuing to fill in answers.

            "True, true," I said, nodding my head. "She's pretty, isn’t she?"

            "Yeah but if she smiles, she would probably be gorgeous," Jimin said. “Maybe you can make her laugh by telling her your dad jokes, Jin?”

“Ha-ha right,” Jin looked up from his workbook to clearly roll his eyes at Jimin.

 

BOMI

            Finally lunch! I wish I could sit outside since I get less bullied out there. It’s raining though so sitting inside the cafeteria would have to do.

            I took my tray to my usual seat and began eating as suddenly several other trays made their way down onto the table.

            "Hey!" Jin smiled and sat down next to me. I nodded my head.

            "These are my other friends or brothers, I should say. That is Hoseok, Namjoon, Yoongi, and Jungkook," he introduced pointing to each boy. I slightly bowed.

            "You never told us your name yet?" Taehyung asked sitting across from me. He kind of sounded annoyed probably since I completely ignored him the first time he asked for my name.

            "P-Park Bomi," I stuttered looking down.

            "Well, it’s very nice to meet you Bomi," that Yoongi guy greeted. He had dark red hair while the other boys, either had dark brown or light brown hair or black hair, I don’t usually like guys who dye their hair a different color; however, this color suits him well.

            "Why are you sitting here?" I asked.

            "Why not?" Jimin questioned.

            "Because no one ever wants to sit with me," I replied. I feel bad for being so straightforward and mean and yet, I’m not sure if I can trust them.

            "Oh well, uhm… we haven't seen you around so I thought we get to know you,” Yoongi explained.

            I wanted to scoff at his statement. How does he not know me or seen me I've been the school's target for four years now. Maybe these guys ARE new, I thought as I slightly tilted my head to the side.

            "We're pretty popular around the school though, how do you not know us? We've been here since freshmen year," Namjoon said. I shrugged my shoulders.

            I looked down at my tray. My head stayed down, but my eyes looked up. I looked around and everyone was staring at me. I quickly stood up and walked away.

            "Wait!" I hear one of the boys call out to me. I gave them the cold shoulder and continue my way to class to grab my stuff before gym.

            I hate gym. They make me do stuff I can’t even do. Sometimes I don’t get to do anything since the coaches just give up on me.

            Today, we have to see how many push-ups and sit ups we can do and with Mr. Kim I have do the activities. He’s been my substitute teacher many times last year since Mrs. Kwon got pregnant and what not so she couldn’t come to school a lot of the times.

             I guess I'll be paired with Mr. Kim since no else wants to be my partner and my class has an odd number of students. It never works out in my favor anyway.

            The bell rang for fifth period as I made my way toward the locker room. As I walked in, Dasom and a few other girls were looking at me and snickering.

             I walk over to the closet bench and placed my gym clothes down on the opposite bench behind me. I stripped off my skirt, placed it on the opposite bench and grabbed my shorts; I then took off my blazer and blouse and set on the opposite bench as well.

            Good thing I have a tank top underneath so I don’t have to strip down all the way, I thought.

             Before I grabbed my gym shirt, the strap on my tank was all twisted around my bra strap, I hate when this happens. After it was fixed, I turned around to grab my shirt but all my clothes were gone.

            "Those stupid bxtches!" I yelled through gritted teeth.

            Those girls must have taken it as I fiddled with my strap. This is too revealing I can’t wear this! Oh yeah! The lost and found, I for sure can find a shirt in there. I walked around the locker room until I found the lost and found bin.

            Are you serious! Why are there only jackets? What the heck?! Fine, I'll wear this rain coat.

            I walked out of the locker room and into the gym; everyone was standing around and chatting with one another.

            "Everyone line up!" Mr. Kim yelled and everyone obeyed. "Park Bomi!"

            "Yes," I answered, nervously.

            "Why are you wearing a jacket? Is it raining inside?" He asked.

            I stayed silent looking down at the floor.

            "Well..." he tapped his foot. “If you don’t have a reason, please take it off." I took off the jacket, he gasped loudly. "Wow, I see you changed you look just like the girls over there," he said, pointing to a few girls who were also wearing tank tops. I mentally face palm myself.

            Well at least I'm not the only one.

            "Well then… Everyone pick a partner please,” Mr. Kim instructed. As usual no one came to my side.

            "Park Bomi, come here please," Mr. Kim ordered.

            "Yes," I walked over to him. The feeling of embarrassment flooded through my body.

            "Your partner will be Kim Seokjin. You finally have a partner!" He said, patting my shoulder. My eyes widen with shock, I backed away a bit at his sudden touch on my bare skin and that Jin was my partner. Does it really have to be this kid!

            "Kay kids, get ready for push-ups."

            "You can go first," he gave me a small smile and gave him a slight glare because I did not want my partner to be a guy and if I hadn’t mentioned before I was in a spaghetti strap tank top. This is too scandalous and I should be expelled for this crime that I didn’t commit.

            Okay Bomi, breathe in and out. Relax. The more you stress out about this the more panic you will be then you will go mad. I guess the self-pep talk helped calm me down.

            I got down on the ground and waited for the call to go.

 

            With heavy breaths, I finished my set of push-ups with a count of 35 push-ups in three reps but that didn’t compare to Jin who did 75.

            "How many sit-ups can you do in a minute?" Mr. Kim called out.

            "You first," Jin said.

            I lay down and positioned myself for sit-ups. Mr. Kim blew the whistle. Every time I went up Jin's face was really close to mine.

            Man, this kid needs to back up and give me some space!

            "What happened to your shoulder?" He pointed out as I made my 30th sit-up. I stopped and looked down at my shoulder.

            An untreated, jagged scar appeared from my collarbone to my shoulder. A scar. That will never disappear no matter how hard you try to hide it and it will always remind me of that terrible day.

            "I don’t want to talk about it," I stated coldly and went for another sit-up.

            "Sorry," he said and pressed his lips together.

 

            "Let’s go outside!" Mr. Kim waved his arm towards the double doors that lead out to the field.

            I walked out to the field and I heard someone call my name.

            "Bomi!" They called out to me in their annoying high pitched voices but there was only one I recognized.

             I turned around and saw Dasom holding up a school uniform. My school uniform. I walked angrily toward them but before I got to touch the smooth fabric of the blazer, they dropped it on the ground.

            "Oops!" Dasom giggled and walked away followed by her two minions.

            “What an idiot,” Chanmi giggled and pushed pass me, even though, there were plenty of room to walk around me.

            I quickly went down on my knees to the ground and picked up my uniform.

            I just got it washed! I checked around and wiped off any debris that stuck to it.

            I let out a sigh of relief. Thank goodness it’s still pretty clean and luckily this is a turf field!

            I let out a few hot tears knowing I won't be hurt by my parents or have to waste any more money on dry cleaning this expensive uniform.

 

TAEHYUNG

            I was searching for Bomi all period long. I wanted to be her partner until Jimin wanted to partners since all the other boys had partners and he didn’t so I was forced to be his partner.

             I finally found Bomi; she was on the ground on her knees. It looked like she was crying. I was about to go see her but some annoying fan girl stopped me.

            "Taehyung, we're playing soccer, do you want to be on my team?" She asked, cutely.      

            Being popular in all I have to say yes. I don't want to be called as the jerk of the school. "Sure!" I gave her a fake smile.

            "Let’s go!" She dragged me towards the others of her team. I looked back to see Bomi and she was still on the ground with Jin at her side.

 

JIN

            I witnessed Dasom and her friends drop Bomi's uniform onto the ground. She suddenly dropped to her knees and started to clean off her uniform.

            I think she's crying, I walked over to her to see if she's okay.

            "Hey, you okay?" I asked, crouching down next to her. She wiped some of her tears and nodded with a slight smile. "It's okay Dasom’s a ." She gave me a small smile that made butterflies flutter in my stomach.

            "So we're playing soccer, you want to be on my team?" I asked.

            "Sure," she gave a quick, short answer.

            “Here. I think you’ll need this,” I handed her my thin hoodie.

            “Oh, thank you,” she smiled again at me. It may be cold out but her smile warms me right back up.

            “And I’ll put your uniform in a safe place. I promise it won’t get dirty,” I gave her an assuring look and placed it down on a bench.

           

            "You're a pretty good runner," I complimented. “And a good soccer player.”

            She gave a slight bow. "Why so formal?" She just shrugs her shoulders. "We're friends now so we can be comfortable with each other!"

            I can tell she stiffened a bit at my statement but I might as well be her first friend.

            I've seen what they have done to her throughout our years in high school. Nevertheless, I chose to be just a bystander. I feel so guilty for not helping her so now I get to make up for it.

 

BOMI

            I really can't believe he said we're friends. He doesn't hurt me or doesn't harass me like everyone else but still he wants to be my friend. Friend. That word lightens up my heart. 

            A popular guy wants to be friends with a girl like me. I guess he's like my first real friend after my cousin, of course.

            Anyway, what am I supposed to say like should I accept him? I could but could I really trust him so quickly like that?

            Mr. Kim announced class was over and I raced to the locker room to change. Good thing I'm a fast runner according to Jin that is. I almost laughed at that statement because every single time I run away from Dujoon or Dasom or my parents, they always end up catching me.

 

JIN

            She raced out of the field with her uniform in hand when it was time to go. I must really be her first friend in the many years.

            I wonder if she's happy or upset about it.

             I shrugged. Oh well, I hope she feels that there is someone who actually doesn’t want to hurt her.

 

AUTHOR

            It’s been a month and Bomi still hasn’t fully open up to the Bangtan boys. She's actually been bullied even more for hanging out with them.

            So Bomi tries to avoid them but they always come right back to her side just like a bad penny. Something that you don’t want always reappears when you try to get rid of it.