Chapter 6

You'll Be Safe in My Arms

JIN

            Where is Bomi? It’s already half way through sixth period and almost the end of the school day.

            "Yah, Kim Seokjin," Jimin flicked my forehead.

            "What!" I said, rubbing my forehead.

            "Were you not paying attention to my story about the whales?" He asked.

            "What the... Obviously not, if you had to get my attention," I said, sarcastically.

            "You're thinking about her, aren’t you?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

            "Who?" I asked, even though, I knew the answer to his question.

            "Bomi, of course!" he waved his arms in the arm, I pushed them back down since people were staring. "Come on, it's so obvious the way you look at her and the way you treat her."

            Was I really being that obvious? I thought and scratched my head.

             "So what if I like her? She's the first girl I've ever laid eyes on and she needs a friend. Everyone here treats her like trash, except for us. Plus, remember eight years ago," I tried to whisper that last part but I can tell Taehyung heard since he quickly looked away. It’s been hard for Taehyung ever since that moment.

            "Plus, she was the only one to open my heart." I tried not to laugh since it sounded so cheesy but it’s the truth.

            "True but there was that one girl um…. Park Chorong!" Jimin snapped his fingers.

            "Yeah but she debuted with A-Pink and she's dating Lee Gikwang too. Also, I liked her for her appearance and her personality was eh," I explained. “But Bomi she’s…”

            That’s when I saw her– Bomi– my eyes immediately lit up.

“Whipped,” Jimin muttered as he shook his head. I ignored him and continued to focus my attention to Bomi.

 She slowly limped back to her seat, she struggled a bit trying to get on top of the stool but she persevered and sat down.

            "Where did you go?" I asked her and she slid the nurse’s note to me. "Was it because of this morning?" She slightly nodded her head.

            The bell rang to announce school was over and she quickly limped out of class.

 

AUTHOR

            "Guys, I'm really worried for Bomi?" Jin said to the other boys of Bangtan.

            "She was pushed, egged, and floured today, ah! I feel so bad for her I feel like crying," Jimin ruffled up his hair but then quickly fixed it before anyone saw his messed up hair. "Hey, maybe we should follow her in just in case if something else happens to her or she doesn't anything weird."

            So with that the boys slowly began following Bomi closely behind. Bomi had no idea that she was being followed she was more focused on getting home so she can see Eric.

            Finally when Bomi reached her house, the boys stopped at the tree and watched Bomi go through her room window instead of the front door, which confused the boys.

 

BOMI

            I went through my room window instead because I did not want my parents to see this messed up uniform.

            I quickly got out of my gym clothes and slipped on a light gray knit sweater that Eric bought for me and my only pair of black jeans.

            I crawled over on my knees to my secret wall panel and took out at least two-hundred dollars from my shoebox.

            This is so much money I’m going to use, I thought as I shoved it in my pocket. I grabbed the small picture of me and Eric when he took me to Lotte World for the first time in freshmen year.

            Once I had all my things, I shimmied out of the window again and made my way to the dry cleaners.

 

AUTHOR

            "My goodness sweetie, why is your uniform so dirty and covered with flour and eggs?" The dry cleaner owner lady asked Bomi as she examined the sticky school uniform.

            Bomi just shrugged and awkwardly laughed. “It’s a long story.” I didn’t want to make up an excuse this time because there is no way you get this much flour and egg on you during cooking class which I don't take.

            "Well, it might take a long time to clean this," she gritted her teeth, thinking of how much time she will have to spend trying to clean the uniform back to its original state.

            "Do you think you can do it soon since there's school tomorrow?" Bomi asked, playing with her fingers.

            "Possibly. I can get it done tonight by nine o'clock  since this is a lot to clean off so this will cost $150 for all the trouble," She replied, picking at hard dried flour on the blazer. “Sorry if that’s a lot more than usual though. This is pretty caked on.”

            Bomi let out a huge sigh. "No, that's fine as long I have it for tomorrow," Bomi said as she paid the owner and turned to leave.

            "Park Bomi," the owner said, rubbing off crusted on flour off of Bomi’s name tag.

            "Yes?" Bomi turned back around.

            "Oh, I was just reading your name tag... I think I remember you,” she tapped her chin trying to remember where she had seen Bomi’s name.

            "You do?" Bomi questioned.

            “Ah! You are the number ranking one student at your school!" She pointed out.

            High schools in Korea always compare students’ grades and test scores to the rest of the student body so every month or so they post up the top one hundred students on the school board. Personally, I hate seeing my name up their and every giving me dirty looks as I walk away from the board, but putting everyone’s ranks up for everyone to see if so ridiculous.

            "Yes, that’s correct but how do you know?" Bomi asked.

            "Oh, my son, Park Kyung, he's a stupid little boy even if he is in advanced classes, he is always in 20th place, he always hangs out with those bad boys but I guess since he hasn’t been to the police station yet he is still my good little boy. Do you know my son?" Mrs. Park asked.

            Oh I sure know him alright, he is always with Dujoon and I remember seeing his face during my flour and egg attack this afternoon, Bomi thought.

            "Yeah, I have to go now, I have to meet up with someone special," Bomi said.

            "Oh, yes of course! Go on I'll see you later," she waved goodbye.

            Bomi bowed down and left. Bomi trudged on to the bakery, which was just a couple doors down from the dry cleaners.

            "Why the bakery?" Yoongi questioned, punching his legs from stiffness since Bomi took so long in the dry cleaners. 

            "Jimin, go inside and see what she's getting," Taehyung ordered the older boy and pushed him towards the bakery.

            "But she'll recognize me," Jimin said, dragging his feet to stop Taehyung from pushing him. 

            "Here put these on," Taehyung grabbed Namjoon's sunglasses and placed it on Jimin's face.

            Jimin shook his head and adjusted the sunglasses on his face. “This is a stupid idea,” he mumbled then walked into the bakery and sat down at a table near Bomi and pretended to play on his phone.

 

BOMI

            "Hello Miss, what would you like the get today?" A male worker asked me as he bowed. I’m guessing he wanted that K-Pop look with his hair blonde. I still think dying your hair blonde to look like a westerner is weird but I don’t think it looks that bad on him.

            “I would like to get this bread right here," I pointed to barbecue pork filled buns that were a beautiful golden brown. "I would like two please."

            "Yes, of course," he smiled and opened the display; he grabbed the two buns and placed it into a small pink paper bag. "And will that be it for today?" 

            "Yes," I answered.

            "That will be six dollars please," he said, I handed him the money. "Say… what school do you go to?"

            "Junseo High," I replied.

            "Really, I go there too. My name is Choi Sungmin,” He jerked his head to the right so that his bangs swept to the side. "I've seen you around sometimes but how come I've never really see you?" He asked me and I just shrug. His question reminded me of American people asking Asian people where they really come from.

            I somewhat remember seeing Sungmin around with his group of friends. They call themselves, Speed for their fast-pace and skillful dance moves. They’re always hogging the dance practice room, at least, from what I hear from the other students and a little from Hoseok since he enjoys dancing himself.

            "I'm Park Bomi by the way and you probably don’t see me a lot because I'm in the advanced class," I answered, rubbing the back of my neck. I always feel embarrassed when I tell people I’m in the advanced classes because I don’t want it to seem like I’m bragging about it.

            "Which class? I’m also taking advanced classes,” He questioned me more; luckily there wasn’t anyone behind me.

            "Classroom 6B, Mrs. Chan’s class," I replied.

            "Oh, I'm in the classroom next door I have Mr. Yoon, he's bit weird but he's a cool and relaxed guy," he said. "Anyway, did you see that girl get egged today that was too funny! I didn’t throw anything at her I just stood around to watch. It was pretty great though."

            "That was me" I looked down at my feet even more embarrassed.

            "Oh my god… I am so sorry, I didn’t know" he bit his bottom lip, which I actually found cute. I don’t usually call people, especially boys, cute but Sungmin is honestly very attractive. He's tall, he has a bit of an accent (he’s probably from somewhere south of Korea), handsome, and handsome what's not to look at.

            "No, it’s okay," I turned around to leave.

            "Well, maybe, if you come by again or if we see each other at school, we can hang out some time to make up for what I said!" He called out and I smiled a bit.

 

AUTHOR

            After seeing Bomi leave the store, Jimin ran out of the bakery to tell the others what just happened.

            "You guys know Choi Sungmin, right?" Jimin asked. "From um… Speed," They all nodded. "Well I guess he sort if asked Bomi out."

            "What!" Jin yelled out.

            "Shh! Well, okay, maybe it wasn't like that but he did say if she came by again they should hang out," Jimin explained as they continue to follow Bomi. "And oh, she bought two barbecue pork buns, which are my definite favorite."

            "She better stay away from that kid," Taehyung muttered, angrily.

            As Bomi walked on to the flower shop, she stopped when she a particular little store came into sight: a clothing store. 

 

BOMI

            I stared at it for what seem like hours: A jacket. Something I had always wanted. I have money for it but I feel I'll need the money for something more important than clothes.

I shook my head and trudged on to my next stop.

  

JIN

            So this is the jacket she wants. I smiled to myself. Hopefully your birthday is nearby.

            I took out my phone and snapped a photo of it.

            "Jin, let’s move before we lose her!" Jungkook called out to me.

            “I’m coming!" I shoved my phone back into my pocket and ran towards the others.

 

AUTHOR

            "That will be fifteen dollars," said the old lady at the flower shop.

            Bomi handed the old lady the money and grasped the bouquet of white roses.

            "Sweetie, why aren't you wearing a jacket? It’s very cold out there," the old woman questioned Bomi before she left the shop. “Testing is coming up soon for you so you cannot be sick when they do come up. It’ll be bad for your college application.”

            "Oh, I was in a rush to get out of the house today," Bomi answered. 

            "Oh, you meeting someone special with those flowers?" She questioned.

            "Yes, I’m going to meet my cousin, I haven’t seen him in a while," Bomi replied with a small smile.

            "Well then, I won’t keep you long have fun and remember to put on a jacket," she said, once more.

            "Yes, thank you!" Bomi bowed and left the shop.

            Finally Eric, I will finally see you. I got your favorite snack and your favorite flowers! Bomi radiantly smiled as she walked along the busy sidewalk.

            "Guys, I've never seen Bomi smile like that," Taehyung pointed out as they pushed through the citizens.

            "Yeah, whatever she is doing must be real special and excited to make her this happy," Namjoon said.

            They followed her towards a very unusual place.

            "What she doing her?" Hoseok questioned, scratching his ear.

            They walked around the big, sparkling water fountain placed in the middle of the roundabout.

            "This place is creepy and she comes here alone," Yoongi said, rubbing his arm as an eerie breeze passed by.

            “The place may be creepy, but it sure is fancy,” Namjoon added as they all ducked behind the marble water fountain.

            "I think she's here to visit someone shhh she's starting to say something," Jin whispered as the seven boys crouched down and crept closer to where Bomi stood.

 

 

BOMI

            Hmm let’s see 221, 222, 223, ah 224!

            “Hi Eric, I haven’t seen you in such a long time!" I bent down and placed the flowers down leaning against the grave stone.

            This stone was very expensive to buy but I had just enough to pay, I thought and I sat down next to it.

             "I see your parents still haven't visited you yet like always but I doubt they ever will. Anyway, I got your favorite flowers, they were a bit pricey but it’s okay and I got you your favorite bread bun!" I sat down beside the stone and placed the wrapped bun right beside the flowers; I grabbed mine and started eating it.

            "School been a bit rough for me like always, today I got egged and it’s going to cost $150 to clean it but it’s only going to get worse for me. You know there was this one day where I had this stupid coughing fit so I went out for water and when I went out Hwang Dasom grabbed me and slammed me against the wall, she then slapped me and yelled, "Who the hell are you to hang out with Bangtan, don’t you ever hang out with them again!" I was so scared and no one was there to help me. I wish you were there to help me I remember you said, “When you become a senior, you were going to come to Junseo to protect me” but I guess you know… it won’t happen but look I survived, haven't I? But I don’t know if I can any longer," I sighed and shoved the plastic wrapper into the pink paper bag.

            "I have some good news though!" I said trying to brighten the mood a bit. "I made some new friends, I know I might sound crazy but yes, they are all guys. They’re actually really nice to me and they care about me, and they call themselves Bangtan since supposedly they were bulletproof through their hardships when they were little. They’re really nice and weird and I guess they make me happy. Nevertheless, I don’t think I can trust them, I'm not really sure why but I feel once I open up to them they will turn their backs on me. It happened once and I don’t want it to happen once more." I sat in silence for a second or two thinking about the questions Eric would probably asked me.

            Ah-ha definitely he would ask me about how my financial hardships are going, I thought.

             "Money is going down more and more. I still haven't bought a jacket yet. I know what you're probably thinking, but I just can't buy it. Jackets are just way too expensive and maybe someday I can move out of my stupid parents' house so I need the money. My parents, yeah, they abuse me. Nothing has changed ever since you left me. Eric, I'm so lonely in this world without you," I leaned against the granite stone and took out the photo of us out of my pocket.       

            "If it weren't for me, you would still be in this world..." Tears dripped down my cheeks, falling down onto the photo. "I’m sorry Eric this is my fault I’m sorry," I cried.

            "I should of been the one to go not you, you could have been successful and happy but no… Maybe I should go, maybe I can be happy with you. I know you left for me to go on a different path to be happy but I'm not. I’m sorry, Eric. I wished you could come back to me. I wish heaven had a phone so I can hear your voice one last time. I miss you dearly." I closed my eyes and cried. 

 

            The sky grew darker and I knew I had to go. "Eric, I have to leave now I’m sorry for leaving so soon, happy birthday." I traced my fingers along his engraved name on the stone. I got up, wiped away my tears and walked all the way to work.

 

JIN

            I wiped away my tears and I looked at the others who were also wiping their tears away as well. I never knew Bomi felt this way about things that happen through her life, she has too many negatives events happen in one day.

            So this is how you felt this whole time, I thought. I walked up to the grave and the others followed in suit.

            "Eric Nam, Nov 20, 1996 - August 15, 2012. Beloved Cousin," I read out loud.

            "So this is what she meant when she said her cousin is not here anymore or he moved away," Hoseok said and I nodded.

            Then Taehyung sat on ground next to the grave stone where Bomi sat and started talking.

 

TAEHYUNG

            Sadness flooded my body and I couldn't help it but I just had to speak and say what I felt or I’m pretty sure what we all felt.

            "Uhm Hi Eric hyung, I'm Kim Taehyung and these are my brothers Hoseok, Jin, Jimin, Jungkook, Namjoon and Yoongi  and we're known as Bangtan and we're also Bomi's friends. We just want to let you know that we have no intentions on wanting to hurt Bomi at all we want to help her. And we don’t pity her either. The moment we met Bomi, we immediately started to care for her like she's one of us. So I hope this clears things up." I got up and dusted my uniform pants.

             "And if Bomi ever needs help, we will be right by her side," I then got back down once more and did a big formal bow which then the others did as well.