Reality

Back At Your Door

Chapter 6

Taeyeon’s POV

I entered the classroom and unexpectedly no one was in sight. It was too early for anyone to be here, except for Yuri but he isn’t here right now. I went to the back and settled my stuff on my chair. I completely lost it back there, that was my first time to shout at anyone like that.

I shook my head.

Now, I kinda feel bad about it. I should’ve just approached those girls in a nice way but then again, I just couldn’t help it. The way they talked about Jessica, who by the way is their sunbae/senior, made me feel so furious. Oh well. What’s done is done.

 

I took out my phone to text Yuri. Usually, he’d already be here, waiting for everyone else…

 

Wait. What if he’s with Jessica? Oh wait. Jessica’s touring that new guy.

 

To: Kwon Yuri

 

Where you at? I’m in the classroom, thought you’d be here already.

 

 

From: Kwon Yuri

 

I’ll be there in a few.

 

I kept my phone and just stared out the window. This is how I always see Yuri whenever he’s waiting for everyone else. Just blankly staring out the window. All you can see from here, are buildings, buildings and of course buildings.

I sighed and heaved a deep breath.

 

Yuri and Jessica. Hmm. They’ll make a good couple, actually. That is if Jessica can stand the passiveness of Yuri.

 

I suddenly remembered that time when I asked Yuri if he was gay and I really thought he was but then he told me that he wasn’t. I just had to ask because he turned down every single girl who confessed to him. Even the hot and popular ones!  After confirming that he wasn’t gay, I just thought that maybe he had really high standards. Well if that’s the case then, Jessica must be really something else.

 

*Door slides open*

 

I went back to reality and turned my head to where the door was. I saw Kris and that Taecyeon guy enter the classroom.

 

“Oh hey there!” Kris approached me with Taecyeon trailing behind him.

 

“Hey to you too” I smiled at them.

 

“Oh wait. This is Taeyeon, she was originally the one assigned to tour the new students.” Kris stated

 

“I’m Taecyeon! Nice to meet, ya!” He offered his hand.

 

“Nice to meet you too!” I shook his hand and let go afterwards

 

“Weren’t you supposed to be with Jessica?” I asked. I found it odd that he was with Kris instead of her.

 

“She had some things to take care of so yeah… “Kris answered for the new guy

 

“That or she doesn’t like me” The new guy laughed heartily

 

Wait, if he was with Kris…

And, Yuri’s not here yet….

Then that means…

 

 

*Door slides open*

 

And just like that, the hottest topic in Whimoon, entered the classroom together.

-----------

Author’s POV

Yuri and Jessica’s walk back to their classroom was silent but neither of them felt awkward. Yuri had his usual uninterested face on but he felt something different inside. He never knew what happiness felt like but he figured that whatever he was feeling was probably the closest he’ll ever get into to achieving it.

On the other hand, Jessica was smiling all throughout their walk. She was happy for a lot of reasons but all of them were related to Yuri. Everything was going right for her and she hasn’t felt like that in the longest time.

They reached their classroom’s door. Instead of going in, Yuri turned around to face Jessica.

 

“Don’t wait for me today.”

 

“Huh?” Jessica was had no idea what Yuri was talking about.

 

“I was assuming you were gonna wait for me to finish training again, like how you did yesterday and day before that.” Yuri purely assumed this. Given the fact that she did not go home despite the fact that Kris supposedly went with his friends yesterday and that she was at the same spot he saw her the other day when she asked for his number, Yuri thought that it was safe to have these presumptions. 

 

“FYI, I wasn’t waiting for you the other day. I was… I was waiting for Kris! He watched your training session that day because he wanted to try-out!”

 

“Oh okay. So, you weren’t waiting for me the other day but you were, yesterday?” Yuri was secretly having fun teasing the already flustered girl in front of him.

 

“I didn’t say that!” Jessica retaliated

 

“Sure, you didn’t say it but you’re not really denying it either.” Yuri said before turning back around and finally entering their classroom.

Jessica followed Yuri inside and was about to answer back but she stopped when she saw that there were other people inside.

--------------------------------------

Yuri’s POV

 

Taecyeon, the new guy, Kris and Taeyeon were at the back. All three of them were looking at us. I walked down the aisle and stopped in front of them.

“I’m sorry if Jessica wasn’t able to tour you around. We had things to discuss and take care of. I hope you understand.” I bowed my head and lifted it up after a few seconds.

 

“It’s totally fine, bro. Kris, here, toured me instead.” Taecyeon replied as he gestured his hands towards Kris.

 

“….I’m Taecyeon, by the way.” He offered his hand.

 

“I’m Yuri.” I shook his hand

 

Jessica went beside me and apologized too. I had nothing else to say so I went to my seat and sat myself down. From the moment I sat down, the girl beside me gave me this smug kind of look.

 

“Are you guys a thing now?” Taeyeon whispered to me.

 

“I don’t know.” Was all I could say.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know?!” she asked again, still whispering. I could sense the slight frustration in her voice.

 

“Ask her then.” I said and looked at Jessica. The other three were still standing, Taecyeon was telling Jessica that Kris did a great job in touring him.

 

Taeyeon shook her head

 

“Everyone’s been talking about you guys, you’re like the hottest topic right now.”

 

“I don’t care.”

 

I figured people would do that. Still, I really don’t have the capacity to give the slightest attention to what other people say.

 

“Of course you don’t. Well anyway, if you ever figure if you guys are a thing now or what, give me a call! I’ll treat everybody, ice cream!”

 

I didn’t say anything back. I don’t know what I and Jessica are. From common knowledge, when you tell someone you like them and that person says the same thing to you that would mean that you guys are in some kind of relationship. I’m just not sure if that applies to me and Jessica. I don’t think I can find any answer from Jessica, considering what happened earlier. She barely made sense when I partially talked to her about it.

 

Kris and Jessica took the seats in front of us while Taecyeon took the seat on the next row, beside Kris. Apparently, all three of them are from California.

 

“Where do you stay then?” Kris asked Taecyeon.

 

“Oh, I’m staying at my uncle’s right now. He has a house not too far from here..” Kris nodded in response then suddenly turned to face us.

 

“How about you guys? We go the same way right, Yuri?”

 

“My apartment complex is not that far from yours.”

 

Kris then looked at Taeyeon.

 

“Oh, I go the opposite direction from you guys. My parents own an optical shop, not too far from here!” Taeyeon answered.

 

“How about you guys?” Taeyeon threw back Kris’ question.

 

“Oh, we live in the same apartment.” Kris casually answered.

 

The atmosphere kind of shifted when he said that. Taecyeon and Taeyeon had this shocked expression on their faces while I maintained mine.

 

“Oh wait. No. We’re not in that kind of relationship!!” Jessica waved her hands frantically.

 

“…we’re cousins!” Kris then quickly added

 

Jessica slapped Kris' arm and scolded him for not saying it properly, it made Taecyeon and Taeyeon laugh.

 

Cousins, huh? Hm.

Students started coming into class and when everyone else was settled, our class naturally started. Everyone was barely listening, it was math class after all. I see Taeyeon trying her best not to fall asleep then there’s Kris and Jessica who are looking intently at our teacher. The new guy, Taecyeon had his head down. I think he’s asleep.

 

“Okay, can I have a volunteer to answer the next problem?” Mr. Daniel Choi, our math teacher, put down his marker and scanned the classroom.

 

Of course no one answered. Who would? It’s the first subject after our lunch break. Naturally, everyone was sleepy.

 

“I guess, I’ll just call one of you then.” He took out a piece of paper which I’m assuming is our class list.

 

 

“Alright, Kwon Yuri. Come on.” He called my name so I stood up and went up front. Mr. Choi handed over his marker. He gave me the problem and right there I realized that it wasn’t what he was teaching earlier. This was supposed to be our next lesson.

 

Of course he’d give me a hard one.

 

I sighed and started answering on the board. It took me a minute or so to finish and when I did, I gave the marker back to my teacher and moved aside for him to check my work.

 

“Impressive as always, Mr. Kwon. Now, if everybody was just as hard-working like this young lad right here then maybe everyone would actually learn something before going out of this classroom.” Half of the class was asleep so he grabbed our thick math textbook and suddenly dropped it on his desk, it made a lightning-like sound which jolted everybody back to reality.

 

Mr. Choi gestured for me to go back to my seat so I did. On my way there, Kris gave me a thumbs up and Jessica smiled at me. I gave them a quick nod and sat myself down.

 

Classes dragged on and on and finally the day was over, well not for me since I need to take care of something. Taeyeon wanted to talk to me before going so I followed her out on the hallway.

 

“What is it?” I asked. This was unusual for her to do so I figured this was something serious.

 

“It’s about you and Jessica…” Taeyeon kept her voice low. A lot of students were coming out from their respective classrooms and so the hallway was a little bit packed.

 

“I already told you. I don’t know what we are.”

 

“That’s not it. People are talking about you guys and even though you don’t care, I’m not so sure about Jessica.”

 

My current relationship with Jessica is still unknown to me. It’s only been 3 days since I’ve met her and people are already talking about it like crazy. They seem to know what we are rather than the other way around, well at least for me. I’m not sure what Jessica thinks of us. Actually, there might not even be an “us” because from the way I see it, just because I told her that I like her, and that she said the same thing, holds nothing for us to be bounded together in some way. Or does it? I don’t know. Everything’s a blur right now.

 

Taeyeon then proceeded to tell me what happened inside the cafeteria earlier. As expected, these people think that Jessica’s using me. It doesn’t seem likely as of the moment but I’m not ruling it out. It all comes down to my capacity to care about it.

 

“Whether she’s using me or not is a matter that only I should be concerned with so let them talk if they want to, they can’t do anything about it anyway. Jessica’s not that dense to not know what people are thinking. I’m sure she’s well aware of how things are going around.” I replied.

 

“Okay, okay. Just don’t forget that she might not be as carefree as you. And as much as I hate to say this but be careful, alright?” These were Taeyeon’s last words before she left.

 

Everything’s gone topsy-turvy in one day. I’m beginning to feel the consequences of what I had brought myself into but then again, I don’t know what exactly I got myself into.

 

I closed my eyes and heaved a deep breath.

 

Seems like I really need to do a walk-in

 

I opened my eyes and took out my phone and sped dialed a number.

 

*Ring-ring*

 

“Yes, Yuri?” the man on the other line said

 

“I’m on my way to your office.”

 

 

“Alright. I’ll see you in a few then.”  I hanged up and went on my way.

 

When I got out of the Academic building, I bumped into one of my teammates.

 

“Oh, Yuri  hyung!” he bowed and then smiled.

 

“I can’t attend training today. Something came up. Would you mind telling the coach for me?”

 

Tao nodded and then bowed to me again before he went off to the soccer field. With that said and done, I began walking again. In front of the school, I see Kris and Jessica walking. They took our usual way but I on the other hand had to go to the opposite direction to get to my destination.

 

-------------

Author’s POV

A man smiled as he hanged up from the phone call he had just received.  From his desk, he called his secretary through the office phone.

 

“Yes, Dr. Kim?” a woman on the other line answered.

 

“Please get me Kwon Yuri’s file.”

 

“Very well, sir.” 

 

Dr. Kim hanged up and sat on his chair. This will be the first time, this particular patient of his, do a walk-in. Yuri’s next session was scheduled next week. Perhaps something happened to him today, the doctor thought. The troubled boy has been his patient for many years now. Although, they didn’t actively had sessions all throughout the years. He first met Yuri when the boy was just 6 years old. At that time, Dr. Kim noticed how unbelievably mature the boy was for his age. His unmatched intelligence too was a factor that the doctor was interested in. Dr. Kim was the chosen psychiatrist by the law for Yuri to see due to an unfortunate incident that had happened to the boy. The incident did not affect Yuri’s abilities but instead changed his overall personality. On the surface nothing was wrong with Yuri at all. He was doing extremely well in school and he obeyed everything his parents told him to do. Kwon Yuri was basically the perfect child. The only flaw he had was his lack of emotion towards anything. He treated everything like an obligation or an order from someone that he had to follow. Beyond that point, everything and everyone around him was meaningless.

--

FLASHBACK

 

“We’re still not on speaking terms, huh?” Dr. Kim asked the silent 6 year old boy in front of him.

 

 

“Okay then. How about you just draw how you feel then?” Dr. Kim was about to stand up to give Yuri a piece of paper for him to draw on when the boy suddenly decided to speak.

 

 

“Why do you keep on trying?” Yuri asked with a straight face

 

“What do you mean?” Dr. Kim sat back down and listened to his patient

 

“I’ve been here for almost 3 months. And in all those times, I’ve never spoken until now. I’m asking you why you keep on trying to make me tell you how I feel when you already know.”

 

The doctor was taken back. The way Yuri spoke was nothing like those in the same age as he was.

 

“What makes you think that I know?

 

“I just know you do.”

 

..

..

 

“I wouldn’t ask if I knew, Yuri.” Dr. Kim grabbed his notebook that was on the side table beside his seat. He began taking down notes.

 

 

“No, it’s not like that. You’re asking me because you want to confirm what you know. You want to hear me say that I feel absolutely nothing, that I’m apathetic.”

 

Dr. Kim stopped writing. He closed his notebook and looked at the boy in front of him.

 

“Do you know why you feel that way?”

 

..

..

 

“No but I don’t need to know. This is the way I am. This is my reality.

 

END OF FLASBACK

--

Dr. Kim was to only observe Yuri’s mental health nothing more and nothing less. The court that gave him the order to see Yuri as his patient forbade any sort of treatment to be administered to the boy. Their explanation was that there was nothing explicitly wrong with Yuri and that the only reason for the order was to follow a protocol. The doctor never questioned this and proceeded to see the boy for 1 year. During their sessions, Yuri slowly started being better in communicating but one thing never changed, Yuri still kept to himself. He never lets anyone get too close. After a year of counseling, Yuri stopped seeing Dr. Kim but the latter watched over him from afar over the years. Yuri wasn’t oblivious to this fact however he didn’t do anything to stop his doctor from checking up on him from time to time. It was only until last summer when Yuri decided to admit himself again to be Dr. Kim’s patient once again.

 

--------------

Author's notes

  1. Thank you to all those who subscribed! 
  2. I appreciate all those comments everyone's been giving! Keep them coming! 
  3. This is a rather short update, I'll try to update again later!
  4. Yay for 46 subscribers!
  5. Yay for 675 views!
  6. Yay for 6 upvotes (allthough I have no idea what upvoting my story does haha)
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_zRaguP-w 
  8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZANwCVDHyc 

Peace! -ymllama