Disclosure

Back At Your Door

Chapter 19

 

Yuri’s POV

 

I woke up with a jolt and found myself bathing in my sweat. What was that dream all about? It’s the first time I’ve had a dream other than those two I’ve frequently had. In that dream, it felt like I was watching someone else’s. Everything was hazy and clear at the same time. The scenery and the place was clear but the people in my dream were nowhere near recognizable. The park I saw in my dream felt familiar but I don’t know where it is or if I’ve been there before. The two boys that I saw in my dream… I couldn’t see their faces but I heard them quite clearly. My dream got cut short when the boy under the oak tree was about to say his name… if only I slept a little longer, maybe I would know what all of that meant.

I took a deep breath and started look around. I realized that I was in my school’s infirmary. Why am I here? Oh wait. I fainted. I was looking at a necklace then ‘it’ happened again. Just like that time when I played that record back in our old house, I saw various images flash across my eyes. The motion was too rapid that I couldn’t comprehend any of them at all but right before I fell out of consciousness I saw an image of the little me and someone else but the other person came out blurry if anything.

 

“Mr. Kwon?” someone called out to me, I looked over to my right and saw our school’s resident doctor, Ms. Jang looking back at me.

 

“I’m sorry for the unnecessary trouble.” I sat up and bowed my head.

 

“No worries. Do you remember what happened to you?” she asked as she sat down on the chair next to the bed I was occupying.

 

“I do. Did you happen to see a necklace? I was holding it before I fainted.” I sat myself up and straightened my posture. These beds are not really of quality.

 

“Ahh. Wait here.” Ms. Jang went to her table and took something in her palm. She went back to my side and stretched out her hand to me.

 

“Is this it?”

 

She handed over the mysterious necklace that caused me to have another episode. I took it into my own hands and traced the writing on the back. The letters JTW… I don’t know what they mean but I think it’s connected to that dream I just had.

 

“Do you take any medicine? Also, does this happen frequently?” Ms. Jang started to ask me about my health condition to which I opted not to answer wholly.

 

“I do but it’s for something else and no I do not. I would like to go back to class now. I’m sorry again for coming in like this and thank you as well.” I stood up and bowed to her one last time before making my way to the exit. 

I looked at my watch and saw that it was time for our break. I was out for almost 2 hours. I sighed. What a way to start my day. I placed the necklace in my pocket and started walking out of the building. I’m hoping they placed my books back at my locker. I’ll sort that out later but for now I’ll just head to my secret place. Maybe I could think clearer there.

--

NORMAL POV

 

Jessica found it hard to focus during their lessons. Her mind was occupied by Yuri and nothing else. She wanted to go to their school’s infirmary to check on him but she knew that it’d be better if she just went there during their break so she could stay with him longer. Every single second that went by was excruciating for Jessica because at that moment, all she really wanted to be looking at was one particular person and not these formulas that were written on the board, she was blankly staring at. Time seemed to pass by slower than usual but when the bell rang, Jessica could’ve sworn she was the happiest person ever. She stuffed her book and pen in her bag in one swift motion and quickly headed for the door. Taeyeon was surprised to see her seatmate gone when she had only turned her head a few seconds away from her.

 

“Where’s Jess going?” Kris asked as he approached Taeyeon with Taecyeon trailing behind him.

 

“Probably to check on Yuri, that or the lavatory but I’m putting my bet on the first one.” Taeyeon said cheekily

 

“Aren’t you gonna go?” Kris asked

 

“Nah. I’m sure Yuri’s fine.” Taeyeon smirked and headed for the exit as well.

 

Kris shrugged and followed Taeyeon out while Taecyeon remained in his spot for a few seconds before deciding to go out as well.

 

What a guy, that Yuri is.

 

--

Jessica walked hastily towards their infirmary but found herself stopping right in front of the door. Her heart felt heavy. She had this fear for hospitals or anything like it which in this case would be Whimoon’s infirmary. Jessica reached for the door handle and slid it to the right to open it. She went inside and to her surprise none of the beds were occupied.

 

“Can I help you?” The school’s resident doctor, Ms. Jang asked

 

“Uhm...I heard a student fainted along the hallway…” Jessica’s voice cracked a bit, even the slightest reminder of hospitals terrified her.

 

“Ahh. You mean Mr. Kwon? Are you his friend? Well, you just missed him. He went out a while ago.”

 

Jessica nodded and thanked the doctor. She went out as fast as she could to calm herself down. Even after all these years, she still hasn’t gotten over her fear of hospitals or anything like it. She walked out of the infirmary building and thought about where Yuri could have possibly gone.

 

If I was the mysterious overlord himself, where I would go?

 

I’d go somewhere where no one would look for me…

Somewhere I’d be really alone…

 

Jessica clapped her hands unconsciously as she got an idea as to where Yuri may be. She started walking out again and headed for the soccer field. She had a feeling Yuri would be under that tree again at the small hill behind the soccer field. Jessica was sure that he was the only who would actually go as far as that just to be alone and away from people. She resumed walking and made her way to her destination. Whilst walking, all sorts of thoughts ran to her head.  It wasn’t really new because ever since she met the peculiar boy, he has been constantly present in her thoughts. The only difference now was she had perturbed thoughts about Yuri’s condition. Jessica assumed, like anyone who knew Yuri to some degree, that he was perfectly healthy. Being part of the soccer team and even being its captain surely has some requirements to be fulfilled which Jessica deemed Yuri to have even surpassed. And that conclusion was just based on how Yuri looked but just like almost everything about him, Jessica truly did not know anything.

Jessica reached the foot of the hill and breathlessly looked up at what she was about to face. It was no secret that this girl had no athletic side to her and walking up this small hill felt like an Olympic task for someone like her. Jessica did it once before and she hoped to God that she could do it again today without sweating like a dog.

 

Please let him be there.

 

The brown-haired girl started her mini-hike and when she got to the top. She felt relieved to see the peculiar boy she wanted to see, right where she thought he would be. The slight fatigue she felt got burned away as she saw Yuri sitting down under the tree.

 

“Yuri!” Jessica called out loud enough for the other to hear however he did not look up. Jessica found it odd and so she walked further and stopped in front of him.

Jessica looked at Yuri with questioning eyes because even then, Yuri did not look up. He kept his gaze on his hand as if his life depended on it. Yet another side of Yuri that Jessica had discovered. Although Yuri did not really speak much this brand of silence happening and emitting from Yuri felt different to Jessica.

The boy was oblivious to his surroundings, he was concentrating on trying to remember something, anything that would make the things that happened clearer to him but to no avail, nothing came up in his mind. He heaved a sigh and finally noticed the unanimous feet that were gawking at him.

Yuri looked up and that certain feeling found him once again. His heart started beating uncontrollably but as someone who did not know how to express his feelings, his facial expression was nowhere near to what he was feeling.

 

“Oh, hey.” Yuri greeted in his usual monotonous voice

 

Jessica examined Yuri’s face, scrutinizing it from his forehead down to his lips. It came to her that Yuri didn’t look sick at all, he looked like his usual self. For a minute or two, Jessica’s head was looking for any sign that may indicate that Yuri was in some sort of pain but she got distracted when her eyes met his gaze. Jessica felt the heat rise up to her cheeks and so she quickly looked away and gave a very awkward fake cough.

 

“Erm… I uhm heard you fainted. I went to the infirmary but the doctor said you already left… I figured you’d be here so…” Jessica trailed for she did not know what to say next. Yuri stood up from his place and dusted off his pants before keeping the necklace back in his pocket.  Yuri turned to Jessica and in that moment, his concerns melted away and everything just narrowed down to the girl who was awkwardly standing in front of him.

 

“I guess this place isn’t much of a secret anymore.” Yuri said under his breath but Jessica caught it

 

“I.. I’m sorry! I mean I just wanted to see if you were okay… I’ll go now then!” the brown-haired girl turned around and was about to leave when Yuri, suddenly grabbed her hand and stopped her from moving any further.

 

“I didn’t mean it that way.” Yuri said as Jessica looked back. The latter felt even more flustered and anxious with the sudden physical contact. Just like before, Jessica couldn’t help but look at their hands. Truth be told, Jessica didn’t hate the idea of Yuri holding her hand. As hard it was to admit, she liked it because his hand felt like it was a perfect fit with hers. It was the suddenness of the action itself that caught her off guard and that’s why her anxiousness took over. Yuri let go of her hand and smiled at her, the brunette was completely unaware of the fact that he found her coyness quite charming.

 

“I’m feeling a lot better, now that you’re here.” Yuri shed his thoughts on seeing Jessica right in front of him.

The words that escaped Yuri’s mouth captured Jessica in a way that no one has ever had before. It was him that made the brunette’s heart thrashing wildly in its place. Yuri could may as well be Jessica’s one way ticket to getting a heart disorder however Jessica was not there to get her daily dose of heart pounding sensation from Yuri, she was there to find out just what on earth happened to the one she branded as a ‘mysterious overlord’.

 

“That’s not gonna cut it for me. What happened to you?” Jessica’s tone demanded for a definite answer and it did not go unnoticed at all.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m okay now.” Yuri’s tone wasn’t reassuring at all and that’s why Jessica played the guilt trip card.

 

“Fine. I’ll go now.” Jessica turned her heel and was determined to walk away. She thought that maybe guilt-tripping Yuri could make him spill the beans but it proved to be ineffective as the boy grabbed her hand once again but this time he clearly had no intentions of letting it go again.

 

“Let’s go together then.” Yuri casually said as he raised their clasped hands. The girl was absolutely dumbfounded at Yuri’s actions. For a second there she doubted that the person in front of her was really the Kwon Yuri that she has heard many things about. Everyone in school saw Yuri as the epitome of perfection. He embodied that idea quite well, given his background as well as his God-given talents and what not but beyond that image, no one really knew him. No one knows just what goes through the head of this Kwon Yuri and Jessica, inside the deepest and darkest depths of her heart, hoped to be worthy of knowing just who he really was.

 

Yuri looked at Jessica carefully to see if she was by any chance uncomfortable with him holding her hand and fortunately he saw none however he did notice the girl’s astonished expression though. Yuri chose to ignore that and kept his intent of not letting go. He put their hands down and give Jessica a gentle tug to wake her up from her trance. Yuri carefully pulled Jessica along and started walking. Seconds after, Jessica gave in and Yuri felt her walk at his pace. Jessica felt like this was Yuri’s way of telling her not to worry and that he was really okay. No words were said but she just felt that way when he grabbed her hand for the second time today.

Their walk down the small hill was short lived and they were already nearing the academic proper of the school. Yuri felt Jessica’s hand tighten its grip on his. He knew that walking around the school like that with Jessica would probably cause more trouble and headache for both of them and so he reluctantly let go of her hand.

 

“Let’s go back to the classroom, I’ll tell you everything there.” Yuri went back to his monotonous tone and walked ahead of the brunette.

 

Jessica wordlessly followed Yuri behind. They passed by quite a number of students and Jessica felt the weight of their stares. This was reality hitting Jessica right in the face. She could never escape her past. The students’ stares were a reminder of what she had done and what she had failed to do.

In a matter of minutes, they reached their classroom. Yuri opened the door and prompted Jessica to go in first. Once she was inside, the former followed suit. Thankfully, no one was inside their room yet, it was completely empty.

Yuri shamelessly took Jessica’s hand into his again and pulled her along the aisle and into the back. He let go of her hand and gestured for her to sit at the empty chair beside his.

 

“Sit.” Yuri said as he pulled out the chair

 

Jessica wordlessly does what she was told and placed her bag on top of the desk while Yuri circled around and went to the seat beside her. He sighed and reached into his pocket. Once Yuri got the feel of the object, he pulled it out and placed it on top of Jessica’s desk.

 

“This is why I lost consciousness.” Yuri said, referring to the gold knife-sleeve-like necklace

 

Jessica gave Yuri a confused look. She didn’t quite understand what Yuri meant.

 

“I…well… I’m not really a normal person. I don’t know myself that much and that’s why I have a difficulty in understanding everyday things like a normal person does.” Yuri tried to explain his situation to Jessica but even he knew after hearing what he had just said himself that it didn’t make sense. Yuri sighed yet again and tried to explain once more.

“That necklace triggered something in me and well I fainted.” This was the simplest way Yuri could put what happened to him. He hoped Jessica would somehow understand but she got no response from her at all. Instead, Jessica took the necklace in her hands and looked at it intently.

 

“Is this yours then?” Jessica asked, still her eyes on the object of Yuri’s predicament

“I don’t know and even if it was… I don’t remember it.” Yuri breathlessly said. He got reminded of his current problems and it started to poke his anger a bit. It was no doubt frustrating to not understand just what was going on with him and his head.

 

“How did you get this anyway?” Jessica inquired

 

“Someone left it inside my locker which means someone knows my code and that person knows something about me that I don’t.”

 

Jessica found the engraving on the back of the necklace and when she did an idea sprouted from her mind.

 

“I think this belonged to someone else… maybe someone you knew before.” Jessica suggested

 

“Why do you think so?”

 

The brunette pointed at the letters that were engraved at the back and showed it to Yuri.

 

“These letters at the back. I think they stand for a name. Engravings like this on a necklace, more often than not, are made to indicate those who own them, right?”

 

Yuri did think about this possibility but the letters did not ring a name in his head. JTW could mean a hundred thousand names and Yuri was not about to list any of them right now.

 

“Maybe but let’s talk about something else. Are you okay?” Yuri asked this question, hoping that Jessica would understand what he meant. The boy was not oblivious to the stares they had to go through earlier. He wondered if she was still bothered by it. There was no answer from Jessica, instead the brunette bit her lip and nothing else in response.

 

“I’ll take that as a no. Are you free later then?” Yuri looked at Jessica with hopeful eyes and when the brunette met her gaze, she got drowned once again in those jet-black orbs of his.

 

“I uhm… I think so, yes. Why?”

 

“Do you think you could go with me somewhere? Don’t worry, I promise not to murder you and strategically hide your body somewhere no one would ever find it.” Yuri said casually with a playful tone. Jessica let out a laugh which Yuri found very endearing.

 

“I feel 100% safe now. Thank you, I really needed to hear that. I mean that’s the first thing I would be worried about if someone asked me to go with them somewhere.” Jessica sarcastically replied

 

Yuri took that as a yes and gave her a wide smile.

 

“Great. It’s settled then. I hope you don’t mind getting stared at again because I really don’t and you shouldn’t too.” The boy started again with his reminders about how Jessica shouldn’t feel bothered but then again Yuri was not aware of Jessica’s struggles and that was one of the main reasons why he decided to bring Jessica to that place he had in mind. He wanted the latter to trust him and the only way for that to happen was if she felt like he trusted her.

 

Today, after their classes, Yuri will let Jessica in his life.

--

Sang Ah and Grace were casually having tea. They had just finished a very hectic meeting. They were planning the next show for Sang Ah’s newest collection. Though the location was still undecided, Sang Ah wanted it to be in Seoul. It’s been awhile since she has done a runway show in her native country. There was a comforting silence that surrounded the two lovely ladies. Sang Ah was very much interested in Grace, it has come to her that she doesn’t really know much about the latter and that’s how she thought of striking a conversation.

 

“So Grace tell me about yourself!” Sang Ah said suddenly, catching Grace off guard

 

“Uhm… Where to start..” Grace whispered to herself. She was a pretty reserved person and she saw nothing special about her and that’s one of the reasons why the question caught her off guard.

 

“Hmm. How’s your family about the whole moving to Seoul thing? I’m sure they must’ve been surprised since it was on short notice.” Sang Ah tried again

 

“Oh uhm…. I.. well my family was okay with it. They’re very supportive.” At least that’s how Grace imagined they'd be.

 

“That’s wonderful. Do you have any relatives here then?” Sang Ah kept her questions coming, totally oblivious to the fact that Grace was thinking of answers at the top of her head.

This particular question made Grace involuntarily enter a certain memory. A memory of someone near and dear to her. A memory of someone whom she had lost. Just when she thought that the world couldn’t possibly take anything from her, the universe decided to let her think again. When she lost that one person, Grace truly lost everything.

“I…have. My brother is here.” Grace said, seemingly lost in the depths of her memory. Tears were threatening to leave her eyes however she was able to keep them long enough to regain her composure. Sang Ah started to talk about other things with Grace barely listening. She had to painstakingly pretend that she was okay because that was the only thing she knew, the only thing she could do.

 

--

Before their break ended, Jessica went back to her seat and Yuri stayed in his. Students started coming in and their classmates had this very odd look when they went in and saw Jessica and Yuri minding their own business like they’re pretending the other doesn’t exist. Although no one saw how they held hands going down the hill behind the soccer field, there were students who saw them walking somewhat together towards their room and that was enough to start fueling up the rumor of them possibly being an item.

Class 3A’s afternoon classes started without much commotion and their day started to drag along just like any other day. For Yuri this was a very important day because after their classes he’ll take Jessica somewhere he has not let anyone enter. The boy had second thoughts about his plan but he knew he had to do this sooner or later. Yuri knew he couldn’t possibly keep Jessica in the dark forever.

The clock ticked and ticked to the beat of Yuri’s somewhat nervous heart. He looked calm on the outside but on the inside he was a bit frantic, just a little bit. With every second that passed, he was brought closer to face the inevitable. He was putting everything on the line for this and it felt thrilling but there’s that fear in him that Jessica might not look at him the same way after today and God knows how much he wouldn’t want Jessica to be out of his reach.

The day slowly went by and soon enough the bell rang, waking Yuri from his deep thoughts. It was amazing how this boy could look like he was intently listening during lessons when really he was just wandering around his maze-like thoughts. The tanned-boy stood up and made his way to Jessica’s seat.

 

“I’ll wait for you outside.” Yuri simply said

 

Jessica was about to say something but Yuri had already left the room. Taeyeon shook her head and turned to Jessica.

 

“Forgive my friend’s lack of manners. For someone from a prestigious family, he’s quite strange.” Taeyeon smiled at Jessica.

 

“He is quite on the weird side but hey I am too.” Jessica smiled back

 

The brown-haired girl arranged her things and informed Kris to go on without her, not forgetting to mention that she would be with Yuri to make sure that her cousin would not worry much. Jessica made her way outside and saw Yuri standing out in the hallway, not minding the looks he was given by the various girls who passed him by. Once Jessica approached him, she felt the atmosphere around them change. Yet again Jessica felt the judging eyes of everyone around them on her. While Yuri didn’t really mind, Jessica felt the exact opposite. Nevertheless, Yuri smiled at her and that alone made Jessica feel like everything would be okay.

 

“Let’s go?” Yuri asked. The brunette only nodded her head and with that settled the two walked side by side.

 

 

When the pair reached the gates of Whimoon, Jessica couldn’t help but ask just where Yuri planned to take her.

 

“We’re going somewhere quite important to me.” That was all Yuri said about their destination. Jessica raised her eyebrows but did not say anything back. Although curious about their destination, Jessica chose not to ask any more. She secretly liked surprises and boy was she in one herself.

 

Jessica wordlessly followed Yuri. They hopped on a bus and sat themselves in the middle row. Jessica sat beside the window while Yuri sat near the aisle. The ride was silent and the bus they rode was barely occupied. Yuri looked over to his right and saw Jessica staring out the window. He examined her face and found himself admiring the view. Even by just seeing the side of her face made Yuri feel almost euphoric.

The brunette must’ve felt Yuri’s stare on her and so she looked back at him, only to see a smile plastered on his face. Her heart skipped a beat and that smile Yuri had on his face was quite contagious and so she couldn’t help but give one back. No words were exchanged and silence was among the two but both were very much happy with it. They were happy to be spending their time together. Feelings were being shed wordlessly through their innocent smiles.

Their stop came near and when the bus came to a halt, Yuri stood up in one quick motion. Jessica scooted over and was about to stand up when Yuri held out his hand. The brunette nervously looked up but gave in and took the hand that was offered to her. Holding hands was becoming a thing for the two. It felt like it was the most natural thing for them, even though they had just started doing it earlier today but unlike in most things, time didn’t really matter.

Yuri guided Jessica down the bus. With their hands still clasped together, they turned to face the eerie building that the tanned boy could easily call his second house. The two entered the building and came up to their designated floor. Jessica felt a bit spooked considering that the building itself gave off that estranged feeling. This led her to, squeeze Yuri’s hand a bit.

 

“It’s a creepy looking place but this place is quite important to me.” Yuri said not looking at Jessica. The pair walked along the hallway and reached its end. The pair walked past the reception area that was completely empty and went straight towards the door that was all too familiar to Yuri. The tanned-boy let go of Jessica’s hand and knocked on the door a few times before opening it.

 

“Yuri? Is that you? I’ll be with you in a moment.” The two heard a man shout from the other room that seemed to be a restroom.

 

Seconds passed and the man in question finally entered the office proper.

 

“Sorry if I took lo—“ The man’s words were cut short as he saw an unfamiliar face inside his office.

 

“…Oh. You didn’t tell me you were bringing a friend, Yuri.” The man greeted with a smile.

 

Yuri turned to Jessica and spoke.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jessica, this is Dr. Kim. He’s….my psychiatrist.” 

 

 

--

HELLO MY DEAR READERS!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

Thank you for continuing to support my story, I appreciate it a lot :D 

How's everybody doing? How was Christmas for y'all?

I actually had a very awesome Christmas and I'm hoping all of you did too :D 

For this update's music, I give you quite an old song lol Sunghoon of Brown Eyed Soul's Fail In Love (CLICK HERE PLS) it's quite an upbeat song, very different from the ones I've previously shared! I listened it to day so yeah haha, I figured I'd share it with you guys :D

Keep them comments coming in! I want  to hear your opinions, reader-nims! LOL (a lot of you have been calling me author-nim so I figured I'd call you guys, reader-nims!)

Stay safe everybody and I hope you enjoyed this short chapter :D 

-ymllama