Golden Questions

Back At Your Door

Chapter 45

 

Yuri kept his word and gave Jessica time to process the truth. There was hesitation at first but it soon faded as he felt a new breath of hope. He carried guilt around the minute he realized his feelings for Jessica because he knew that there was just no way it would end good.

 

But that was before.

 

Before Jessica broke down his walls. Before Jessica proved that she wasn’t like everybody else. Before Jessica made him feel that he doesn’t have to be alone.

 

A solid week passed since Dohan’s encounter with Yuri and Jessica. He has yet to get the former’s attention. Dohan wanted to see his patient’s plans from here on out. It would be a lie if he said he hasn’t thought of interfering but alas a lesson that he learned from the past stops him from entertaining this thought.

 

“Patience is a virtue.” Dohan says under his breath as he looks out from his office in Whimoon.

 

--

 

Yuri’s POV

 

It’s that time of the year again where Whimoon transforms into this massive Culture hub. The school takes pride in this event and so after school hours, the gates are opened to outsiders.

 

I took my first step in to my almost unrecognizable school. Multiple booths that highlight and celebrate different kinds of culture around the world are seen scattered all over the campus. There aren’t gonna be any sort of classes this week at all however students are required to attend hence the reason why I’m here.

 

“Yuri!” Taeyeon’s voice rung inside my ears, not even a minute after I entered school.

 

I look over to her direction and I see Taeyeon’s crowd along with a new face.

 

Seeing Choa keep her promise indefinitely seals one of the gaps in my plan. There’s no telling how long she will play on my side but all I can really do is hope for the best.

 

My eyes immediately search for Jessica but she’s nowhere to be found. I turn my head left and right to see if she was anywhere near but instead Jessica found me.

 

“Looking for me?” Jessica pops out of nowhere and places herself beside me.

 

“I was.” I said curtly. We haven’t really talked after I told her everything so I felt like I shouldn’t act all too familiar.

 

“Just for this week, forget about everything else and just enjoy, okay?” She looks up at me and waits for my answer.

 

“Jessica…” A whole lot can go wrong in a week and if we’re not too careful, Dohan might find out.

 

“You’ve been...” she pauses and tries to remember the word I used to describe my situation. “…awake since last summer and from that point on, you’ve held on strong even when he brought you back again to that room… right?” she doesn’t stray away from my words.

 

“Yes, but that doesn’t— “she cuts me off

 

“Then there’s no reason to make a move right now. I don’t know exactly what your plans were but you have to make adjustments since it’s not just you anymore.” If I'm mistaken, I heard confidence in her voice.

 

I look at her and tried to figure her out but just like always, I couldn’t. She’s like a wave that comes and goes but she still leaves traces for me to understand.

 

“Why are you….” I couldn’t finish my question because I wasn’t sure if I should even ask or just let her bask in the madness with me

 

“I’m not the type to have reasons for doing anything. I just go with how I feel….” She takes a pause again and she looks away from my eyes.

 

“…sometimes you just have to make decisions that don’t make sense.” she finishes her thought

 

 

Everything about her right now doesn’t make sense at all. At this point, I’ll be surprised if anything about her did and I think… I think that’s okay.

 

“Fine but I should warn you that I’m not really a fun person.” I smile and put all my worries behind me, for now at least.

 

“That makes two of us.” She smiles back and I fall even harder.

 

Jessica grabs my hand and drags me towards Taeyeon and the others.

 

--

 

Author’s POV

 

The first day of Whimoon’s Culture festival went by in a daze. Various memories were made while smiles and laughter filled the entire campus.

 

Yuri hung out with friends for the first time in so long. Though he still kept participation in conversations minimal, he still enjoyed everybody’s company.

 

Night came and so the outsiders were let in for the sky lantern event. The bleachers of the soccer field were filled with people waiting to witness the tradition that was as old as Whimoon.

 

The senior students were all standing on the soccer field with their sky lanterns. Once everything was set, the principal stood up from the makeshift stage that had been built just for this special event.

 

“Good evening everyone and welcome to Whimoon High School. First off, I want to thank each and every…”

 

The principal started his speech to properly kickstart the event. Yuri, Jessica, and the rest of the senior student body were all stuck in their thoughts as to what to wish for when they light up the lantern. Yuri and Taeyeon had swapped partners’ weeks ago during the little communication break Yuri and Jessica had.

 

Yuri remembered this and so he tried to excuse himself to find Naeun, his partner for the project.

 

“She’s not your partner anymore!” Taeyeon excitedly said with a silly grin on her face

 

Jessica reacted first before Yuri could open his mouth “We switched remember?”

 

Taeyeon shakes her head and hands Jessica the lantern they made. The latter checked the lantern and found Yuri’s name on it.

 

“I talked to Naeun already so have fun you two! We’ll meet up with you two kids later!”

 

Taeyeon says as she pulls Kris, Taecyeon, Choa and the rest of their little group away from Jessica and Yuri.

 

Unknown to the two, Taeyeon went behind their backs and talked to Naeun who was Yuri’s partner after the switch. Taeyeon asked her to remove Yuri’s name from their project and instead put hers on it.

 

She had planned this from the moment Yuri had asked her to switch partners. Taeyeon, doubted Jessica because of all the rumors that surrounded her but after getting to know her better and seeing how Yuri is whenever she’s around, it became clear that Jessica was exactly who Yuri needed.

 

Clueless, Yuri and Jessica stood there next to each other while they both watched Taeyeon desperately pushing the rest of their friends to move along the crowded soccer field.

 

The two were rendered speechless and the minute their eyes met, the awkwardness disappeared and they both laughed.

 

“So does the Kwon Yuri have anything to wish for?” Jessica asked as she passed on the lantern to Yuri

 

Yuri took the question seriously and really thought of a wish. There was a lot to wish for but more importantly there were reasons to be thankful. He wanted every single person tonight to have their wishes granted or if not that then he wanted everyone to be happy.

 

“I do but I won’t tell you.” Yuri smiled and readied the lantern.

 

“I wasn’t gonna tell you mine anyway.” Jessica stuck out her tongue but laughed right after

 

The principal finished his speech and stepped down from the stage. It was time to light up the lanterns and let them float up to the sky.

 

A countdown started and as each second passed, the anticipation grew. Wishes were transferred to the lanterns and one by one they were let go.

 

The dark sky was lit up with wishes of the young and hopeful. It was a blissful moment for every single person who was there to witness it.

 

“Thank you.” Yuri said as he laid down his eyes on the girl beside him.

 

It wasn’t the first time that Jessica was shown gratitude but if anything at all, Yuri’s simple thank yous always meant the most.

 

“I haven’t done anything yet so you should save that for later.” She was determined to help Yuri and it was all because she felt like it. She never did need a reason to help someone. Jessica knew that this time, she was helping the right person.

 

“You’ve done more than most people.” Yuri smiled and looked back up at the innocent skies once more.

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

The sky lantern event ended and like promised me and Jessica met up with the rest near the gates of Whimoon.

 

I checked my phone and saw the message I had been waiting for.

 

From: Fany

 

I saw the lanterns from the car. TT I got caught up in traffic

Anyways, I’m near the gates! I’ll wait for you here?

 

To: Fany

 

Do you remember Taeyeon? She was at the party. She’s with Kris and the others, they should be there as well. Me and Jessica are on our way. See you soon.

 

Thinking about it now, I don’t think Jessica knows that me and Tiffany talk to each other but then again, I told Fany or well Tiffany to lie to Jessica about it. Besides, I only started talking to her again last summer when I woke up.

 

When we were kids, Tiffany was always at our house. I wasn’t always around when she came because back then I spent most of my time with Taekwoon hyung. There were times that I hung out with her but there weren’t really any significant memories to remember.

The only reason she stopped coming around was because of the incident. My parents thought it was better to contain what had happened to me to our side of the family.

 

I tried to reconnect with her last summer thinking she may know something that would help me figure out stuff but it became apparent that she was clueless about Taekwoon and basically everything else that happened to me. It was good because at least I didn’t have to worry about her.

 

When Jessica first noticed my necklace, that was when I called up Tiffany and confirmed that she was her friend and they were quite close. I told her to not to tell Jessica that I had been talking to her this past summer. I couldn’t really think of a valid reason to hide it from Jessica so I had to convince Tiffany for quite a while. In the end, she gave in and promised to keep this one secret from Jessica.

 

I didn’t ask Tiffany to come to Whimoon tonight for Jessica. I actually asked because I knew that Taeyeon had been wanting to see her. Taeyeon has always been there for me and really, this is the least I can do for her.

 

Me and Jessica reached the gates and from there we saw Taeyeon and the others but there was no sign of Tiffany anywhere.

 

We regrouped and everyone started to talk about where to go next. While they were planning, I excused myself and tried to find Tiffany myself.

 

It turns out that she had been looking for us at the second entrance of Whimoon.

 

“Sorry about that. I should’ve been more specific.” I said as I spotted her among the crowd.

 

“It’s fine. Where’s Jess?” She smiles like how she usually does. All bright and cheeky.

 

“They’re at the main entrance. We should go, they’re waiting for us.” Me and Tiffany carried on and went to the where the rest is.

 

Tiffany was still wearing her uniform so she stood out quite a bit. She got looks from everybody as we walked.

 

“You seem to be popular with everyone.” I snickered

 

“Please, like you aren’t yourself. Jess told me you’re quite the ladies man too.” She teased back but she stopped walking. I look back and she asks the golden question.

 

“…which reminds me, have you told Jess that we actually talk to each other? And that there’s not some kind of rift between us.”

 

“I haven’t but I will…tonight. That’s why I invited you… sort of.”

 

“You better tell her yourself because I’m not explaining that one to her.” She picks her pace back up and we continued charging through the crowd.

 

After at least 5 solid minutes of trying to get through without getting separated, we managed to find the others.

 

“Jess!” Tiffany squealed and runs up to hug her best friend while I quietly go to Taeyeon’s side.

 

“Now’s your chance.” I whispered to Taeyeon. I’m not exactly sure if she heard me because she literally froze.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jessica asked

 

Tiffany breaks away from the hug and looks at my direction.

 

“I…uh invited her. Everyone, this is Tiffany, Jessica’s best friend and my cousin.” For a good second or two, no one spoke. I’m guessing they were struck in awe. Jessica, on the other hand, looked at us suspiciously.

 

After all the introductions were done, we all decided to go and grab dinner at a nearby small family restaurant.

 

The place was a bit crowded so we had to wait to get seated. From the minute, Tiffany came till now that we’re waiting to get a table, Taeyeon has yet to say a word.  She was all quiet and not herself at all.

 

Minutes passed and a table opened up. We were quite a big group so it took some time to settle ourselves down.

 

“Are you okay? You look like you’re about to pass out.” Sooyoung asks as she puts her hand on Taeyeon’s forehead.

 

“What? No. I’m fine. I’m just… uh…” Taeyeon was losing her words so…

 

“…hungry. Right, Taeyeon?” I gave her a reassuring look and she smiled back.

 

“Yeah! Had to wake up extra early to prepare for the festival and all.” she smiles but it fades as soon as she realized Tiffany was looking at her.

 

She grabs the nearest glass of water and takes a big gulp.

 

I was seated beside Jessica and so she leaned towards me to ask yet another golden question

 

“What’s up with Taeyeon?” I could hear the concern in her voice.

 

“She likes your best friend. Quite a lot, it seems.” I whispered back.

 

It was a big “Ohh” moment for Jessica as she finally understood why Taeyeon became curious about Tiffany a few weeks back.

 

We both look at Taeyeon then back at each other. With no words at all, we both knew what exactly to do.

 

---

Author’s POV

 

While waiting for dinner, everyone was curious to know more about tonight’s guest of honor.

 

“I’m nowhere as smart as Yuri. I’d like to think that I get by just fine though.” The thing about Tiffany’s smile is that when she does it, she’s able to brighten up any sort of atmosphere.

 

“How’s Daewon? I haven’t actually seen the school itself. From the pictures, it kinda looks like Whimoon.” Sunny asks as she passes around the chopsticks for everyone.

 

“Actually, Daewon is basically Whimoon just a tad bit smaller. The buildings are quite similar as well.” Tiffany answered each question thrown at her with ease.

 

“Is this your first-time meeting everyone?” Jessica asks even though she knew the answer.

 

Tiffany looks at her for a quick second with an expression that to me looked like she was about to hit Jessica, then she lays her birght eyes on Taeyeon.

 

“Actually, I’ve met Taecyeon and… Taeyeon before. During the anniversary party.” Taeyeon’s eyes meets Tiffany’s again and it was almost a death wish for the former.

 

Tiffany just said her name but Taeyeon felt her whole body tense up. There was no implication of anything whatsoever but waves of electrifying sweetness and numbing bitterness just kept on crashing one after the other.

 

She was usually good at keeping her cool but she couldn’t quite find it tonight.

 

“Oh wait! Now I remember! No wonder you looked so familiar!” Taecyeon contributed to the on-going conversation.

 

“Anniversary party?” Sooyoung repeated, trying to figure out what the rest were talking about.

 

“Wait. Is this the same party you invited us too? The one where we kinda all ditched you…” Sunny’s voice got smaller and smaller as she finished her sentence.

 

It took a while for Taeyeon to realize the question was directed at her but thankfully she was able to answer and catch the atmosphere from going down to awkward-ville.

 

“Y-yeah. The very same one.” Taeyeon was either stuttering or losing her words. The immediate solution in her mind was not to talk unless absolutely necessary.

 

Jessica intervened and got the conversation rolling again. The atmosphere was picking up its pace and so Taeyeon thought it was the perfect time to excuse herself.

 

When she did, Yuri followed her outside.

 

Yuri didn’t really know what to say but he needed to be the friend Taeyeon always was, now.

 

“Hey.” Yuri starts out with something casual because he was still trying to find the words to say.

“I am so sorry. I know I’m acting like an idiot but I can’t help it. I just really can’t. Believe me I want to be a normal human being and actually talk but I can’t! Not when she’s just there sitting across from me… okay maybe diagonally from me but like it’s sorta the same….” Taeyeon went on and on while Yuri just stood there listening to it all.

 

“…and what if in some crazy universe, she goes to the party and for whatever reason we’re left alone… I wouldn’t know what to do! I mean do I sit there and wait for you guys to come back or do I just make an excuse and say oh well I don’t know… like I forgot my pen back home or… did I honestly just say pen? A pen? A freaking pen of all things!” Taeyeon sighs deeply and all at once her hopelessness surfaces

 

“…I’m worrying about all these things and I’m not even sure if she likes me. Who am I kidding? I bet she wouldn’t even want to be friends with me…”

 

And that’s when Yuri found the right thing to say.

 

“Taeyeon, you’re the greatest friend I have and may I add only to that. I don’t know if she likes you that way but I do know that she’ll be missing out on a great friendship If she passes up on having you as a friend which by the way I know she won’t because she’s a great person too.”

 

Hearing Yuri drop all the sincerity unexpectedly made it more special to Taeyeon.

 

“You really think she’d want to be friends with a stuttering mess like me?” as if to reassure herself that it was Yuri that she was talking to, Taeyeon asked again

 

“Well, you haven’t really talked all that much tonight so I think you’re still in that competition.” Yuri smiles and Taeyeon laughs.

 

With a deep long breath, Taeyeon calms her thrashing heart and wild mind. Yuri waits for a good minute or two and finally his friend was ready to get back in there and be the Taeyeon everyone knew and loved.

 

As the two went back inside, they saw that the food had already been served. They went back to their seats and as if Yuri had flipped a certain switch, Taeyeon started acting like her old self again.

 

Yuri, too, tried his best to join in on the conversations because at the back of his mind, he thought that maybe this will be one of his last chances to actively try and participate in life.

 

Everyone was having fun tonight even Choa. Like a certain someone, she kept her interactions with everybody to a minimal but then at one point her eyes met with that somebody’s and with one look she decided to go for it.

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

Everyone had fun, including me. It was really one of the best nights I’ve ever had since I’ve been awake. While everyone was busy figuring out how to divide themselves according to their way home, me and Choa were off to the side.

 

“Are you still sure that you want to leave after everything?” Choa couldn’t help but smile, still high from the feeling of inclusiveness and truth be told I was too.

 

“Jessica knows everything now which…” my thoughts derails from my brain

 

“…changes everything?” Choa sounded as if she wanted me to say yes but this wasn’t gonna be that kind of story.

 

“No.” I said as clear as the moon that shone above us. I said what I knew best.

 

“Does she know you’re leaving?” Choa asks the third golden question for the night

 

“I left that part out.” I’ll always be sorry for doing so.

 

“It’s better that way.” Choa understood why I didn’t tell Jessica and I’ll always be thankful that she did.

 

“At the night of the party, I’ll go ahead with my plan.” I don’t want to but I have to.

 

“I thought you had until the end of the semester?” I lied. Things did change.

 

“I’ll just have to make the most out of this week.” I smiled as I looked ahead and saw Jessica smiling back at me.

 

 

----

Author's Notes

I promise to try and finish this story before May ends. 

It's been really tough this past few months but I think writing helps me. 

If you're still reading this after the 'Author's notes' line then I want you to know that I appreciate you and those who didn't, I still do. 

I hope I made a slight difference to your day/night. 

 

-ymllama