First Encounter

Back At Your Door

Chapter 2

 

Kris and Jessica, huh? Hm. They have a slight accent. I’m guessing they’re from the States, well their names gave that away already.

 

“Wonderful names. As you can all notice, they have English names. They’re both from the US but they are of Korean descent, they moved here last year and they spent their junior year at our sister school.”

Why bother transferring? Our sister school is not that far from here. Well, I wouldn’t want to pry into their lives. Curiosity killed the cat, if you will. The murmuring got a little bit intense, I’m guessing it’s because they’re from the States and people expect them to be different. A year of stay in a foreign country won’t really change you that much. Ergo, their slight accent. 

“Now, now. Everyone calm down. You two can sit at the back. Don’t worry, it won’t be your permanent arrangement, the elected class president will arrange you.” Our teacher muttered.

I hear footsteps coming towards me. I’m seated at the left corner at the back.

There’s one whole row here, I was hoping they’d pick the seats on the other side of the room or at least somewhere far enough from me but of course they didn’t.

I heard them settle themselves. I’m guessing they sat on the next chairs after the vacant one next to mine. At least, one of them didn’t attempt to sit beside me.

“Okay now that we’re all settled, my name is Hwang Sun Hee. I’ll be handling your Economics subject. It is my first year here in Whimoon, I hope we can all get along.”

Ms. Hwang started to discuss this year’s activity line-up. It’s been 20 minutes of me laying my head down on my desk. I really wanted to sleep this period off but I can’t seem to. I sigh in defeat and just put my head up. I looked at the window, and whole bunch of nothing greeted my eyes. I sigh again

Our homeroom teacher paused. I automatically looked at her, I was thinking maybe she caught me looking outside and that probably offended her.

Ms. Hwang was looking directly at me, we stared at each other for a few seconds then she spoke.

“I didn’t expect Whimoon’s top student to be sleeping and now not listening in my class” she smiled. As soon as she said the word top everybody looked my way.

“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.”  I bowed my head.

Ms. Hwang smiled yet again.

“I’m sure it won’t. Please do avoid sleeping in my class, I may not always call your attention for it but I’ll start to think differently of you. This applies to everyone else, okay?”

The class answered in unison. “Yes, ma’am/teacher”

 

Well that turned out well

 

Ms. Hwang picked up where she left off. Something about the culture festival and how everyone is required to participate.

I looked to my right and I see the new students, actually I can’t see the girl. The new guy, Kris, blocked her from my view. I shifted my attention back to Ms. Hwang since I really don’t want get called out again.

This period went by smoothly and our class said goodbye to her. We still had 15 minutes before the next period starts so I stood up and went to the washroom. I was starting to feel sleepy so I figured I’d go there and wash my face in hopes that I would feel refreshed and get myself ready for the whole day.

The washroom was empty when I got there; I went to the nearest sink and washed my face. I looked at myself in the mirror. I haven’t seen myself for a while. I look like I’ve aged over the summer. I turned around and got out of there and into the hallway then suddenly I bumped into the new guy.

He bowed and smiled at me. “I’m Kris, by the way.” He stretched out his hand.

“I’m Yuri.” I shook his hand.

“Right. Yuri, mind directing me to the boys’ washroom?” Kris let go of my hand.

“It’s down the hall. You won’t miss it.” I uttered nonchalantly.

“Alright. Thanks.” He went his way and I went on mine.

The classroom was a bit noisy. As I walked towards my seat, I saw Taeyeon sitting beside my place. I took a quick glance at the table where the new girl was and found no one in sight. She probably went out or something.

 

“Heya!” Taeyeon greeted as I looked back at her.

“Where were you?” I asked

“Oh I ran into Mr. Grumpy pants and he made me swear that I’d take care of the new students. I came here to get my stuff. The newbies are waiting for me outside the building.”

Taeyeon’s referring to our Principal, Mr. Go. He is one grumpy person; I don’t think I’ve ever gotten through a year here in Whimoon without hearing his famous scream.

“You’re in luck. One of them is a girl.”

“I saw her already. Not really my type. She’s meh” She made another weird face.

“What a shame, then.”  Taeyeon grabbed her bag and left.

 

I haven’t seen this girl’s face yet. Well, it’s not like I won’t see her every day.

Now that Taeyeon’s officially, this year’s school tour guide. I don’t have to worry about anything. Our next class got cancelled because the principal called all faculty members for a meeting. Classes were to be resumed in the afternoon as said by whoever was speaking through the intercom. I gathered my stuff and left the classroom right after the announcement. Almost all of the students went to the canteen to get food, I, on the other hand wasn’t really feeling hungry so I decided to get my locker number from our school’s admin. office.

As I entered the office, I saw Taeyeon with other students. I’m guessing they are the new ones who weren’t able to attend the orientation/school tour day before classes started. Right after seeing me, Taeyeon walked towards me with the others meekly following behind her. I see Kris in that group but there was no sign of the new girl.

 

“Oh right. I should introduce you guys to this boy over here!” Taeyeon said excitedly

“His name is Kwon Yuri. He has been ranked number one all throughout his stay here so if any of you are aiming for the top spot, he’s the guy you need to beat and for soccer enthusiats, you should know that he’s also the newly appointed captain of the soccer team.” She continued

The way she introduced me made me feel very uncomfortable. I never really liked having fancy introductions, I prefer keeping things simple.

I gave a small smile and bowed my head ever so slightly.

“It’s nice to see you all. I hope you enjoy your stay here at Whimoon.” I said nonchalantly.

Taeyeon then led everyone out of the office to God knows where.

 

“Well that was awkward” I mumbled and sighed inwardly.

I did what I had to do in the office and went on my merry way. Next stop would be to find my locker. I walked around till I found the one with my number. All lockers are placed in one building which was near the academic building. There are 40 lockers on each floor which means 20 for each side. Being academically inclined, has its advantages. I get to pick any locker. I didn’t really think much of the number so I just took the last locker on the first floor. It was at the end of the hall, on the left side. I opened it with the default code. A stack of books I need for this year greeted me. All lockers, of course have these. After checking all of the books, I changed the code for my locker and left the building.

 

Hm. Where should I go?

There’s the auditorium…

There’s the rooftop

There’s also that new building…

 

..

..

.

 

The library.

Sometimes, I read books but most of the time, I just go here to listen to music and draw or If I don’t feel like drawing, I just write stuff that my mind comes up with. I unconsciously write poems of some sort whenever I listen to music. Another weird habit of mine.

I was listening to 고래 by 짙은. I just sat there then words started coming into my mind so I wrote them.

 

What can separate us?

Will it be death? Or will it be us?

I am nothing but rust

And yet you still take me like it’s a must

 

What you feel for me is a mystery

It seems like everything is contradictory

How can someone like you ever see me?

I am nothing, that I can guarantee

 

Alas I have a dilemma

I want you but there’s nothing I can do

No there’s nothing wrong with you

It’s something I can’t undo

 

I’ve read in a book before

We accept the love we think we deserve

Mine is yours as you can observe

But yours should be preserved

 

Acceptance, I find it difficult to practice

I can give you my love just like this

But for you to do the same is just amiss

I know in the end, all I can do is reminisce

 

….

 

I reread what I wrote. I was surprised.

 

 

What are you thinking about, Kwon Yuri?

I don’t feel sad at all but with what I’ve written, it seems like I am. Maybe it was the song. I closed my notebook and took off my headphones. I sighed and closed my eyes.

 

Dr. Kim will love to hear about this.

I thought of next week’s session with Dr. Kim. He’s my doctor, he’s a shrink. I’ve been seeing him because I want to. I find it difficult to understand myself and other certain things and so I pay this man to assess my feelings. I’ve been seeing him ever since I was a kid but back then it was court-ordered.

I figured I should head to my next class. I checked my phone for my room since I had my schedule there. I walked for a few minutes and found myself on the 3rd floor of the academic building. That’s what they call this place because this massive structure houses all the rooms that have something to do with learning academic stuff, there’s another building for the arts stuff.

I entered the Physics lab and sat down at the back yet again and settled my things on top of the table. Like any other science lab, per table, two people will be sharing it and so I hope to God that Taeyeon goes early and just sits beside me.

Although, a part of me wanted the new girl to sit somewhere I can see her just because I haven’t seen her face yet.

 

*Thud*

 

“Oww… “  A slightly high pitched and yet calm proclamation of pain echoed in the room right after a loud noise of a chair hitting the ground.

I quickly went back to reality and looked at the direction of the sound. I couldn’t see anyone from where I was so I stood up and went up front. I saw a chair on the ground with a girl beside it.

“Are you okay?” I asked as I bended my knees to level myself with this girl and as soon as our eyes met, I felt something weird in my chest but it was just for a short moment.

 

It’s her.

The brown-haired girl looked up and smiled at me or should I say tried to smile.

 

“I’m good. My body suddenly lost balance, that's all.”

“Here let me help you.” I offered my hand to help her up. She took it and we stood up together. I immediately let go when she regained her balance.

“Are you sure you’re not hurt?” I didn’t want to actually say this but it just came out of my mouth.

“No. I’m okay. This happens quite a lot. My body’s used to it now. I’m not sick or anything, I’m just really uncoordinated.” She smiled again. There’s something off about her smile, I can’t help but notice it. Maybe because she got hurt on her fall. Maybe.

“Okay then.” I turned my back on her and headed for my seat.

 

As I sat down, I saw her fixing her skirt and then she proceeded to sit at the back with me but she was at the next table. There was a thick sense of awkwardness in the room. I just stared blankly ahead, pretending that she didn’t exist and I was alone…

 

Well she didn’t let me pretend for long.

 

“So… you’re Whimoon’s number one student. Must feel good…” She trailed.

 

Good? What?

I turned my head and directly looked into her eyes. When I did, I felt a sense of familiarity in her eyes but I don’t recall ever meeting her before. Hmm.

“I honestly don’t feel special or what. If anything, I feel normal.” I said, still looking into her eyes.

“But you’re not... You’re smart and athletic too. Now that’s something.”

“It’s nothing. Where’d you hear all this? I didn’t see you with the group earlier.”

She smiled again and let out a small laugh

“You’re the definition of perfection among the eyes of the people in this school.”

 

Perfection?

“…and I was there, you just didn’t see me, probably because I was behind those tall guys” she gave a small smile

“What do your eyes say about me, then?” I don’t know why I asked this. When did I become this talkative?

She looked at me for what seems like forever before she answered. I couldn’t help but look directly into her eyes. There was something about it that just made me feel like I’m frozen or something.

“I’m sure you’re more than what people say about you. A person can’t be defined by what they can or can’t do. It’s what they feel about what they’re doing that makes up for that.”

 

How I feel about what I do?

“How poetic.” I said and looked away. I’m not sure what it is but there’s something off about her smile but I can’t quite place it then there’s her eyes they remind of that time......

 

By far, that was the longest and completely random conversation I’ve ever had with a person who isn’t Taeyeon. It feels weird but not exactly uncomfortable. There was dead silence again but thankfully people started coming to class and so the atmosphere kinda shifted. People were coming in, in groups. I saw Taeyeon and that new guy, Kris together.

“Thank you for showing me around.” Kris bows and goes to Jessica and with that said Taeyeon went to my side.

“Yuri! You will not believe what I heard. HOLY CRAP” she exclaimed. She said that loud enough for Jessica and Kris to stop and stare at us for a second. Unwanted attention, indeed.

“Mind keeping your voice down? Or do you want the whole class to hear this mind-boggling thing you just heard?”

“There you go again with your big words.” She sighs and grabs the seat beside me.

 

I could only imagine what she saw. It’s either some guy or girl that she is interested with. And yes, I just said or girl. Taeyeon’s biual as far as I know. She’s never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend before but she did have this huge crush on our former classmate but unfortunately she didn’t swing that way. She had to learn that the hard way because the girl she liked confessed her feelings for me. I never did talk to that girl Taeyeon liked but somehow that girl bore feelings for me. That’s what I really don’t get, how can you just tell someone you love them when you don’t even know their story.

 

“Hey are you listening??” Taeyeon snapped her fingers near my eyes.

“Sorry. What were you talking about?” I fixed my attention onto her.

“Remember those students I was touring with these two…” She sneakily pointed at the table next to us while whispering the last word.

“Yeah? What about them?”

“Before going up here, I went to the ladies’ room and I heard girls talking about the new girl…”

 

Jessica?

 

“Can you please get to the point?” I can’t lie, I’m pretty hooked to this.

“Apparently, she got caught up in some sort of scandal at our sister school…” I can see the pity in her eyes.

“What kind of scandal?” I pressed on.

 

“Pictures and a video of her circulated around that school… it was her with a teacher.” 

-------------------------------

Author's notes/Fun Facts!

  • Kris Wu = EXO's Kris.
  • Hwang Sun Hee is a Korean actress. She was in Jessica's drama (Wild Romance) 
  • Whimoon High School is a real school! It's one of the most prestigous in Korea. I've heard that an EXO member graduated there. It's a really good private school. A lot of politicians/renowned personalities attended that institution
  • A shrink is another word for a psychiatrist
  • I've changed the section on the first chapter! It's actually 3A. I wrote 4A. It was a typo but I changed it now so it's all good.
  • The sort of poem (I'm not really sure if it can be considered as a poem) that was present in this chapter was written by me :) 
  • 고래 by 짙은 or Whale by Zitten (romanized) is a great song! Zitten is a Korean Indie singer. It was used in a drama but I'm not sure of the title.
  • In the sort of poem I wrote there is a line there that says "We accept the love we think we deserve". This was taken from the book turned movie "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky. It's a good read, I highly recommend it!

So far so good, I guess haha! Thank you to those who subscribed. I appreciate it very much! 

Please do not hesitate to place comments! (all comments are welcome, even hate comments!) 

Peace! -ymllama