A Night To Remember [Part 3]

Back At Your Door

Chapter 15

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

Should I really even go? I can’t believe Sooyoung and the others bailed out on me, even Seohyun! I really don't want to go alone but I need to. I’d feel bad if I didn’t go. Yuri invited me so I should go, right? Yes, I should! What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t?

I went to my closet and looked at what I should wear. The dress I wore last year wasn’t mine, I borrowed it from my cousin. It kinda slipped my mind that I needed to prepare something. I don’t own any dresses or gowns. All I have are shirts, jeans and a couple of casual skirts. I scanned the clothes hanging in my closet once more until my eyes landed on this particular garment bag. I knew what was inside. I wore it for a play before for school.

 

“I must really be crazy for even considering that.” I shook my head and closed my closet but then I opened it again but this time I took out the garment bag out. I placed it on my bed and carefully took the set of clothes it had inside and laid it down beside the bag.

 

“It’s not like I have any other choice… plus Yuri did say that I can wear anything…” I said quietly to myself.

 

I looked at the clothes I had just laid down and thought about it for a few seconds. Am I really going to the most star-studded party, wearing this? In all honesty, I don’t care about how I look. It’s just that I don’t want to embarrass Yuri. He did invite me so I don’t want to end up making him look like as if he brought in a lost cat but I really don’t have anything as decent as this. You know what? Whatever. I’m just gonna wear this and hope for the best. (Click here to see what Taeyeon wore)

 

--

Normal POV

 

After deciding to just go with the clothes she had from a school play she had participated in before, Taeyeon got ready and went on to the party. She called the number that Yuri had placed on her invitation to ask whoever it is assigned to her to come and pick her up. 

Taeyeon went out of her house and waited up front. After a quick 15 minute drive, the chauffer assigned to Taeyeon arrived. He went out of the car and opened the door for Taeyeon.

 

“Good Evening, Ms. Kim. I’m Cha Jinsoo, your driver for tonight.”

 

“Good Evening too! Hey uhm, Jinsoo-ssi… before we leave, can you honestly tell me, how I look? Honestly! Don’t worry, I can take it!”

 

Jinsoo, the driver, looked at Taeyeon from head to toe with earnest eyes. He was asked to give his opinion and they were instructed to cater to all the requests of the guests and so he had no choice but to sincerely carry out what has been ask of him.

 

“You look unique, Ms. Kim. Unique because out of all the people, especially women, who I’ve driven to the Kwons’ parties, this would be the first time I’ve ever seen person, let alone a girl, wear a suit as good as you have tonight. Also, this is my first time to see someone look absolutely stunning in something simple.”

 

Taeyeon was surprised at the driver’s words. Well, she did expect that Jinsoo would probably lie and tell her that she looked just fine when she thinks that she doesn’t however she did not expect him to shower her with kind words.

 

“You sure about that? I mean seriously?”

 

“Yes, Ms. Kim. That is my honest opinion.”

 

Taeyeon laughed and bowed to Jinsoo.

 

“Thank you! Let’s get going then!”

 

Taeyeon got in the car and Jinsoo went back to driver’s seat. As soon as, he saw Taeyeon settle down at the back, Jinsoo started the engine and drove to the venue.

 

Here’s to hoping that other people would share the same opinion about me but I think it’d be better if no one noticed me. Taeyeon thought.

 

--

(AT THE PARTY)

 

Jessica and Grace made their way to the entrance of the hall and from there they were greeted by one of the many staff of the KGC. The two girls made their way further inside the hall and as they did they were able to capture the attention of the people they passed by.

 

“I bet they’re all looking at you.” Grace whispered.

Jessica’s eyes widened and just like an automatic reaction, she held her head down to avoid the eyes of the people staring and practically gawking at her.

“Hey, now. Don’t waste that beautiful face of yours. Just pretend they’re not looking at you and focus ahead.” Grace once again whispered but this time she took it upon herself to lift Jessica’s gaze from the floor.

The immensely shy girl did what she was told and tried to ignore everyone staring at her. She looked ahead, and tried her best to look for Tiffany and Kris. Within a few seconds of searching, she was able to spot them. They were seated at the front-left side. Grace and Jessica walked side by side until they were a few steps away from the tables. It was then that Tiffany approached them.

 

“Oh my God, Jess. These guys are totally digging you!” Tiffany exclaimed as she went to her best friend's side and link arms with her.

 

Grace, recognized Tiffany however the only thing she knew about her was the fact that she was part of the Kwon family.

 

“Tiff, this is Grace. If it wasn’t for her, I would’ve probably locked myself inside the ladies’ room.” Jessica said as she pointed to her other side.

 

The two girls bowed to each other and of course gave each other smiles.

 

“Well then, I guess I’ll head on to my table. I’ll see you around then.” Grace walked away from the two and proceeded to her assigned seat.

 

With that said, Jessica and Tiffany went on to their table but before they even reached it, someone came up and stood in front of them.

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

The event is about to start and I still haven’t seen a trace of Jessica. She couldn’t have possibly gotten herself stuck inside the ladies’ room right? What am I thinking? That’s way too bizarre to happen but still… it is possible.

 

I let out a sigh and closed my eyes.

 

Calm down. It’s not like me to be like this.

 

What’s there to be worried about anyway? Aside from Taecyeon, there’s not much of a threat to this event. As much as I want to hang around Jessica, I can’t really afford to make Taecyeon lose his cool and make a scene. He seemed already pissed off about earlier. I’m not really looking into adding up to that any more.

I opened my eyes and my attention was immediately lured to the entrance of the hall, as I saw this absolutely eye-catching figure making her way down to the tables. I could see her perfectly from where I sat. I wanted to go up to her but I don’t think that would be appropriate considering the circumstances. I have to bear with seeing her just like this.

She definitely shines out from the rest and judging by the reaction from the people around, it’s safe to say that I’m not the only one to think so. If anything, she looks amazing in that simple gown. She embodied beautiful and stunning in its rawest and absolute form.

I looked over to my aunt who was 3 tables away. She was already looking at me with a smile. I guess even she got her attention snatched away by Jessica. I went and put my gaze back at Jessica and when I did, that’s when I realized that there was someone beside her. I am not sure who she is but it seems like she’s friends with Jessica or at least an acquaintance of some sort.

Whoever she is, I don’t really care as of the moment. I could see Jessica getting all shy about the people staring at her and that puts a smile on my face. This extraordinary girl just never runs out of charms. Yes. I consider her coyness a charm.

They continued walking and then Tiffany went up to them. She linked her arms with Jessica and the other girl walked to her table and the other two was about to do the same when a very familiar figure, stopped in front of them.

 

Of course.

 

--

Jessica’s POV

 

Me and Tiffany were about to go to our table when out of nowhere, at least from my peripherals, Taecyeon stood tall in front of us. What is he doing here?

 

“Je-Jessica? Wha-What are you doing here?” Taecyeon asked

 

“I… uhm… My friend here, Tiffany, invited me! How about you?” I said hastily.

That’s not considered lying right? I mean Tiffany did invite me but… Yuri kinda did it first but still she DID invite me so technically I’m not lying. More importantly, why is he here? Was he invited my Yuri? That doesn’t seem likely. Maybe he’s from an influential family as well. I absolutely have no idea.

 

I looked at Tiffany beside me who had a very confused face. I tried my best to telepathically tell her to go along with what I’m saying. It seemed that she got the message because right after I looked at her she took it upon herself to speak up.

 

“Ah yes. Hello, I’m Hwang Tiffany. I’m sure you guys want to catch up but uhm the program is about to start so how about we go to our tables now? Yes?” Tiffany gave her famous eye smile to which Taecyeon slightly bowed in response.

 

I awkwardly smiled at Taecyeon before getting slightly dragged to our table by Tiffany.

 

“He’s cute with all the stuttering and all.” Tiffany whispered to me.

 

My heart is doing some real pounding right now. I don’t know why I feel so anxious. It feels like I’m gonna regret attending this party. What is this feeling? I hope it goes away… I can’t take this kind of pressure.

 

--

Normal POV

 

After much waiting, the program for KGC’s anniversary party has now started. The hosts started with a bright and lively greeting and did a few minutes of dialogue before calling Yuri’s father up to the stage to give the opening remarks.

 

“Good Evening all. I, Kwon Soon Il, on behalf of KGC would like to extend my thanks to everyone who has taken their time to attend our little celebration. This company has been through a lot in the past 50 years but even through hard times, our beloved staff and partners have stood by us till this very day. This celebration is not solely for KGC but it is for everyone who has believed in us, put their trust on us and of course to those who have showed their love to us.

What is next for KGC? This is the question I’ve been asked over and over again and of course I’ve answered it countless times as well with promises to be better and so on however this time… I don’t think I should be the one answering that. As you all know and see, I’m getting old and although I still have a lot in me, I am confident that I’ve done my part for this company and now is the time for me to prepare to sit back and relax, as they say.

Although it is a bit early for this, I want everyone to meet the future of KGC. I strongly believe that this person will take KGC to even greater heights. I know for a fact that this person will go beyond what I’ve done for this company. He has a lot to prove to everyone however I will stand by my words. I believe in him not because he is my son but because I know he has the drive to achieve. Ladies and gentlemen, I want to formally introduce the future of KGC, my son, Kwon Yuri.”

 

Everyone applauded at the mention of Yuri’s name. It was known that Yuri would eventually take over KGC, it was no secret at all. It was about time Soon Il formally introduced Yuri to the public as his successor. Yuri walked up to the stage and stood beside his father. He bowed to everyone a couple of times and then the sound of claps stopped.

 

Soon Il gave the floor to his son and went down the stage, back to their table. Yuri took a few seconds to look at everyone before speaking.

 

“Good Evening. My name is Kwon Yuri, son of the Kwon Soon Il. This is the first time I would be speaking in front of everyone. I want to take this opportunity to again, thank everyone who has joined us in the celebration of KGC’s 50th year.

There are a lot of things I want to say however I do not want to give you empty words but if anything, I can promise you this. I will work hard to be able to gain the trust you have given my father over the years. The road to achieve that would definitely be challenging and might I say gruesome but rest assured that I will never give up. Please do watch over me as I learn and prove myself to you. That would be all. Thank you again, everyone. I hope you all enjoy the night.”

Yet again, everyone applauded after Yuri’s speech. He bowed to the audience and went down the stage. As he walked to his table, he caught sight of Jessica once again. Their eyes met and when it did, Yuri gave her a smile to which Jessica replied with one of her own.

The program has officially kicked off and the hosts for the evening took over. The night was young and it definitely had a lot more to offer.

 

Over at Taecyeon’s side, after listening to Yuri’s speech, he wasn’t amused at all. He still thinks that Yuri is just another arrogant rich kid. He was nothing, Taecyeon thought. Yuri and Jessica’s relationship isn’t that clear to many and that includes Taecyeon however the latter is very confident, even if there was something slowly brewing between the two.

Call it stupid or childish but if anyone was gonna be with Jessica, Taecyeon swore that it either had to be him or someone else besides Yuri. He was adamant about hating the latter. There was just something about Yuri that irks him. It was unexplainable but one thing’s for sure, Taecyeon is far from “liking” Yuri as a person let alone as a friend.

 

I’d rather go blind than see that arrogant kid be with Jessica.

 

“Taecyeon-ah. What are you thinking about, huh?” Taesong called out to his nephew

 

Hearing his uncle’s voice, Taecyeon snapped out of his thoughts and looked over to his right.

 

“Huh? Oh. Sorry. My mind was just floating around.” Taecyeon quickly said.

 

--

Jessica’s POV

 

Kwon Yuri… what a guy. He went down the stage and I couldn’t help but stare at him. Even though, our uniform is sort of like a suit with a blazer and neck tie, Yuri in a tux still gives off a different feel. Plus, he did something with his hair. Just when I thought he couldn’t get any more attractive, he wears a tux and does his hair and boom; everything I knew about him is wrong. Just for the sake of a reality check, even if he, in some random and absolutely ridiculous way, likes me… there’s just no way we’d end up together. First of all, I’m nobody and he’s this great awesome guy who also happens to be a successor to a big company. I’m getting way ahead of myself by saying that but it’s the truth. Seeing him like this has made it even more obvious that he can’t possibly like me in that way. It’s just absurd for a guy like him to do so. At the very least, I’m lucky to have my existence acknowledged by him. I mean it’s not every day you get to talk to a future leader in the corporate world.

Yuri went down the stage and as he walked to his table, our eyes met. He gave me that familiar smile to which I gladly returned. Tiffany saw this and she was quick to give me a nudge.

 

“He totally likes you. That smile? It’s the type of smile you give someone you like, Jessi.” My God-given best friend whispered to my ear

“No. It’s just a regular smile, normal people give to people they know.” I countered. This idea of her cousin liking me got to her head.

“Whatever you say, Jessi.”

 

Whatever I say? I say that Yuri is just being nice. There should also be a hint of pity in that mix. I know he knows or at least has an idea about that incident last year so I’m pretty sure he’s just being kind. I’m a walking charity for other people. As much I as I don’t like to feel pitied, I can’t do anything about it. It’s latched on to my existence since I’ve done something that attracts all the pity in the world.

 

The program went on and the hosts from earlier took over after Yuri’s brief speech. There were performances by famous singers and even skits from comedians. Kris and Tiffany were enjoying it very much. I’ve always wondered why they never got together. I mean Kris is practically as close with Tiff as I am but then again, I’ve asked them both before, separately of course. They both told me that they only see each other as kinda like a sibling of some sort. Too bad though. They look quite good together.

 

After a lot of these little presentations, the staff started handing out the food. The function hall was filled with the sweet blending of aromas of different foods. It was heavenly, really. I can’t describe it in any other way. While the food was being served to our table, I took this time to look around. There were so many dazzling and dashing individuals and the more I saw the more my self-esteem melted. Well, actually I’m pretty sure it was non-existent to begin with but hey a girl can dream of actually having one, right?

 

I looked here and there and then there I saw him.

 

Taecyeon’s table was not too far from ours. When I switched my focus on to him, I was surprised to see him already looking back at me. I gave him smile…well an awkward one. For some reason, I feel so awkward seeing him here. I’m not sure why. I wasn’t like this before… maybe it’s because of the whole party atmosphere thing. I don’t know. I’m weird so there are a lot of possibilities.

Taecyeon smiled at me too, he showed me his usual grin. The man beside him suddenly called his attention. I used that time to look around some more. My eyes spotted Grace, the girl from earlier. She was walking towards the table of Im Sang Ah. When she got there, they talked a bit and then Sang Ah, walked together with Grace. They were heading towards Yuri’s table.

It looked like Sang Ah was introducing Grace to Yuri. They shook hands then Sang Ah and Yuri talked for a while. After that they both went back to their tables.

 

I wonder…

 

Wait. What?! It’s not of your business Jessica Jung!

 

I was mentally scolding myself. I should stop poking around others’ business. While I was busy looking around, I didn’t notice that the servers were done laying down the food on our table. The three of us thanked them and the servers let us enjoy our meal.

 

--

Normal POV

 

While the food was being served, Grace took this chance to approach her boss. She was now the assistant editor of Blanc Korea, one of the top fashion magazines in SK. Sang Ah happened to be the owner and Chief Editor of the said magazine. Sang Ah specifically recruited Grace because of her writing skills. She came across Grace’s write-ups while randomly surfing around the net. Her blog piqued the interest of Sang Ah and the rest is history.

 

“Good evening Ms. Sang Ah, I’m Grace, Grace Yoon.”

 

“Ah. Grace! I’m glad you made it! How was your flight?” Sang Ah stood up from her seat and smiled widely at Grace. She was very excited to have her work for her magazine. She saw something in her writings that made her jump at her the moment she had the chance to get her contact information.

 

“It was very pleasant, thanks to the business class ticket you gave me. I want to say thank you for that and for everything, Ms. Sang Ah!”

 

“No no. I should be the one thanking you! I’m glad you chose Blanc. I look forward to working with you. Oh and just call me unnie! I know we just practically met but I don’t like the formality. We’re not in the office anyway.” Sang Ah winked at Grace and both women laughed.

 

The two women started engaging in a fashion-related conversation when Sang Ah remembered something.

 

“The girl you came with earlier… do you know her?” Sang Ah asked.

 

“Ohh no. I just met her inside the ladies’ room. She was pretty nervous so I offered to accompany her.” Grace replied

 

Sang Ah nodded then spoke

“Hmm. You see… when you officially start working for me, you’re gonna be with me most of the time if not 24/7. There’s this peculiar guy I want you to meet. I’ll probably ask you to check up on him from time to time so it’s better if he knows you. He’s a strange fellow but I assure you that’s he’s harmless.”

 

Grace only smiled and that’s when Sang Ah and Grace started to walk towards Yuri’s table.

 

Once they were there, both women slightly bowed their heads and greeted, Yuri’s father and him, as well as the other people they were seated with. Sang Ah excused Yuri from the table for a while.

 

Yuri stood tall in front of the two women that were even wearing heels.

 

“This is my nephew, Yuri. I might ask you to run some errands concerning him so I wanted you to meet him now rather than later.” Sang Ah said to Grace.

 

“And you, kiddo. This is my new assistant Grace. Be nice to her, okay?” Sang Ah jokingly said.

 

Yuri only bowed and extended his hand towards Grace.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. Please do take care of my aunt. She has a habit of being reckless and what not.” Yuri gave Grace a small smile.

 

Grace looked at the hand that was offered to her for a few seconds before taking it. When she did, something in her clicked. She felt the warmth of Yuri’s hand which reminded of her of a good memory. Unknowingly, she had herself stare at their hands for quite some time.

 

“Grace..? Grace?” Sang Ah called out

 

Hearing her name, Grace snapped out of it and immediately let go of Yuri’s hand and apologized for her odd behavior.

 

“I’m sorry, Yuri-ssi. I didn’t mean to space out like that.” Grace said with a slightly forced smile

 

Of course Yuri noticed it but just shrugged it off.

 

“It’s okay. I hope you enjoy the rest of the night.” Yuri replied

 

After that rather odd introduction, Sang Ah and Yuri talked for a while, leaving Grace still a wee bit spaced out. She was trying to focus but that certain memory was clouding her mind.

 

“Well, I’ll talk to you later, kiddo.” Sang Ah said to Yuri. With that, Grace was able to snap out of her trance and followed Sang Ah back to their table.

 

(ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PARTY)

 

Taeyeon had just arrived and when she entered the hall, she saw that a bunch of people were walking around the hall and serving people food.

 

“Crap, I’m late.” Taeyeon uttered to herself. She was late because she got stuck in traffic that was caused by a minor accident on the road they took.

 

She carefully eyed the big hall. Taeyeon was looking for Yuri. She figured she should at least apologize before anything else for being late.

After a few failed attempts of scanning the area, she finally spotted Yuri. Conveniently, he was already standing up. He was talking to someone, probably an assistant of his father, Taeyeon thought.

 

She walked daintily through a couple of people who were more interested in drinking and socializing than the food that was being served. After much of “excuse me(s)” and “coming through(s)” she finally reached her friend who had no reaction in him whatsoever when he saw her.

 

“Oh hey. You made it.” Yuri uttered as he switched his focus to his friend.

 

Yuri then excused himself from the conversation he was having with the man earlier and went closer to Taeyeon.

 

“Got caught up in traffic. Some motorbi---“ Taeyeon stopped midway. She noticed Yuri eyeing her carefully, most likely judging her choice of clothes.

 

“That suit… it looks familiar.” Yuri said and tried to remember where he saw it before.

 

“I wore it before at that school play I joined. Freshmen year, I think…” Taeyeon shyly said. She didn’t like what she wore herself but she had no other choice.

 

“I remember now. That was the first time I heard you sing. Anyways, you look fine.” Yuri said in such a monotonous voice that Taeyeon was contemplating whether it was a compliment or a back-handed insult of some sort.

 

“You don’t look bad yourself. You even styled your hair. I guess our little Kwonnie is growing up, huh?” Taeyeon replied

 

“Well between the both of us, I think it’s safe to say that I’m the only one growing.” Yuri said teasingly.

 

After that, Taeyeon raised her eyebrows

 

“Wow, really? Are we really gonna talk about my height? Jeez.” Taeyeon bitterly said

 

“You brought it up first. Anyways, have you found your table?” Yuri asked.

 

Taeyeon bit her lip. She left her invitation back at home, her table assignment was also written in there. It was one of the things Taeyeon told herself not to forget but in the end she did.

 

“You forgot didn’t you?” Yuri asked, already knowing the answer to it.

 

“I was kind of in a hurry. Sorry! I’ll just hang out at the bar!” Taeyeon didn’t want to bother Yuri any longer. He is after all the son of the host family so he probably has a lot on his mind already.

 

“I know where your table is. I made sure you were seated with Jessica and Kris… and my cousin.” Yuri said

 

Taeyeon squinted her eyes as if trying to put together the meaning beyond Yuri’s words.

 

“Why do I have a feeling that you purposely seated me with them because you knew I was gonna be late? You’d have a perfect excuse to approach their table that way.”  

 

Yuri shook his head in defeat. Even he doesn’t have the time to devise that much of a detailed plan.

 

“Think what you want. Let’s go.” Yuri simply said and led the way.

 

The two friends walked across the hall. The said table was at the opposite side of where Yuri and his family were seated.

 

“About the other person at that table… she’s my second cousin. I was supposed to introduce you to her last year but for some reason she left early.”

 

Taeyeon tried to remember what happened at last year’s party. At the early part of the party, people crowded over them, thinking that she and Yuri were dating. It was a good thing that Yuri was able to clear it up. She then remembered that Yuri wanted to introduce her to that particular cousin of his because of a promise he made to her. It never happened because they couldn’t find her at the latter part of the party, last year.

 

“She better be really freaking good-looking, Yuri. You owe me from last year, this year and as well as from earlier.”

 

“Earlier?” Yuri turned his head to his friend

 

“That joke about my height. That’s going too far, my friend.”  Taeyeon smirked as if trying to blackmail her friend

 

Yuri didn’t reply but instead looked ahead and smiled. The two friends now stood in front of that particular table they were after.

 

Jessica, Kris and Tiffany, looked up at them. Tiffany took a glance at Jessica and there she saw her expression totally change, from looking carefree to all around nervous and conscious.

 

She totally likes Yuri. Tiffany thought.

 

“Hi guys. I hope I’m not interrupting anything. You see, my friend here is seated with you guys.” Yuri gestured his hand towards Taeyeon who was standing behind him.

 

“Oh hey there Taeyeon!” Kris greeted

 

“Hi Taeyeon!” Jessica greeted her as well.

 

Taeyeon only smiled at them however there was one other person that didn’t know her.

 

“Tiffany, this is Taeyeon. The three of us are in the same class…” Yuri said. Afterwards he looked back at Taeyeon to introduce the latter to Tiffany.

 

“Taeyeon, this is Tiffany. She’s my second cousin. She’s also friends with Jessica and Kris. Be nice to her. She’s important..” Yuri whispered the last part.

 

It was no secret that Yuri’s dad treated Tiffany like his own daughter. Even though, Yuri didn’t show it nor did he interact with her at all, he too, put Tiffany at a certain degree of importance in his life. It wasn’t as close as how his dad regarded her but it was enough for him to be concerned. Amongst the small bits of things he vaguely remembers from his childhood, Tiffany was present. Yuri remembers how Tiffany would always be in their old house with her dad. Although, he doesn’t remember talking to her during those times, he remembers seeing her from afar. It was always like that, based from the small bits of memories he had in his mind, Yuri’s mind always painted seeing Tiffany from afar when they were small. He doesn’t remember why he never talked to her.

 

Taeyeon took that moment to look at Tiffany. She was struck in awe. Her eyes were focused on Tiffany’s smile, she found it very captivating. Taeyeon extended her hand to which Tiffany gladly accepted.

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Taeyeon smiled.

 

I guess being good-looking runs in the family.

 

“Same here.” Tiffany gave her famous eye smile. When Taeyeon saw that, she realized that, that night was definitely something to remember.

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

“Well, I hope you guys enjoy the rest of the night. I’ll talk to you guys later.” I smiled at them, well particularly Jessica and left.

 

Walking away from that table felt really weird since I wanted to stay or at least leave with Jessica. I can’t do that now. Maybe later. Wait. No. Probably not. Taecyeon’s here. If he wasn’t here I’d be more comfortable in moving around but he’s here so I should forget about that.

The party was going to its latter stages where in most people were done eating and they were crowding either the dance floor or the bar. I really hate this part of the night. I have to stay behind until the end because that’s what I should be doing, that’s what’s expected of me. Meanwhile, my dad’s getting ready to leave.

 

“Yuri, I’ll go on ahead now. Take care of this, okay? I’ll leave my staff here to assist you. Get home safe later on.” My dad said before walking out with his security personnel.

 

Great. Now I have to deal with drunk celebrities, politicians and what not. I also have to make sure none of their embarrassing moments get leaked. I have to call media outlets tomorrow to make sure they don’t release anything that would harm anyone’s reputation. Well, it’s all in a day’s work or well night in this case.

I walked around and got stopped by a few people to take pictures and or to talk. Most questions were about my future plans for KGC. I said cliché answers, of course. These people probably forgot the fact that I’m still in high school and I’m in no position to say anything about KGC but then again they expect me to give anything even cliché answers because that’s how it works.

 

After a few slightly intoxicated encounters with people, my aunt approached me yet again.

 

“You’ve been prancing around this hall for quite some time now and you haven’t even spent more than 20 seconds in the presence of that girl, who by the way did beyond justice to my design. Although she should at least try to carry herself with a little bit more confidence.”

 

Confidence? She has that just not now, I’m guessing.

 

“That’s her thing.” I replied back

 

My aunt now stood beside me. Both of us looked at Jessica’s direction. She was laughing with the other three. It seems to me that Taeyeon is getting along well with Tiffany but more importantly, Jessica looked really happy.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“That’s her thing… she looks beautiful regardless of anything around her. Her beauty is effortless. It’s a charm, really, her shyness, I mean.”

 

I don’t know where these words of mine came from but that’s that. Jessica is a mix of a lot of things. One second she’s this happy little pill then the next minute she’s this shy butterfly.

 

“Well someone’s in love. If you have any more of those sugar-coated words then why don’t you walk up to her and say those things? I’m sure she’d love to hear those from you.”

 

It’s not that simple.

 

“I’m not saying I’m in love or what. I just find her extremely intriguing. I’ve yet to come to a conclusion to what I really feel about her. Right now, it’s just a mix of curiosity and intense admiration. As much as I want to take her out of this place, I have things to do.”

 

My aunt shook her head, probably in disappointment.

 

“That’s why you never have fun. You’re too busy living in the future, kiddo. Come on, you’re young. How old are you? 18? You should be dating tons of girls or going to parties and getting drunk or anything reckless at all!”

 

Reckless is not my thing.

 

Just then, me and my aunt saw Taecyeon approach Jessica’s table.

 

“Oh? That’s the same guy from earlier too, right? The one that stopped Tiffany and your little love interest.” My aunt asked me in a slightly high-pitch tone

 

“He’s interested in Jessica as well however he’s more active in that department than me.”

 

“I don’t understand you, kiddo. You told me earlier that you had plans but then now you’re basically saying that you’re okay with someone else chatting up your little love interest?”  I could see my Aunt’s eyebrows raised to the nines. She was confused but the thing is she isn’t the only one.

 

“I have very conflicted feelings about that girl, I’m still figuring things out. The other day I was so adamant about knowing her and wanting her to be part of my life and all those serious stuff but now it’s becoming more apparent to me that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’m able to say a lot about her but in the end I think they’re just empty words.”

 

Yes, the other day I had so many things to say about her in my mind. Yes, I want to spend more time with her. Yes, I do want to talk to her right now. Yes, I do like her but I really have to contain myself. It's not just because of Taecyeon, I have far more complicated reasons. I’m very much confused about the things that have happened over the past few days and the things that are happening now. The surge of feelings inside me is just too much, it's making me feel paralyzed. All I can do now is take things slowly so that I can really understand what she is to me. 

 

“You think too much, Yuri. If you like her then you do, if you don’t then you don’t. It’s that simple, kiddo. There’s no need to over complicate things.”

 

It’s the other way around.

 

“Yeah well, I’m not normal so I have to do it this way.”

 

Complexity is the way I like my things to be. In that way, I could understand everything, in all of its forms. It’s hard but it’s better than naivety

 

“You’re definitely my sister’s son. You’re weird just like her. Gosh and I thought maybe Soon Il oppa’s smart genes could cover that up.”

 

I just shook my head in reply. My aunt had to leave so we hugged for a few seconds and said our goodbyes. That woman from earlier, Grace, was waiting for her near the entrance. The two left together.

Just then the two hosts from earlier, started to call out all the couples to the dance floor. The music changed to some kind of slow dance tune. As soon as the music kicked in, People crowded the dance floor. I turned my attention back to Jessica and the others’ table and there I saw Taecyeon asking Jessica for a dance, I think.

Taecyeon had his hand out, waiting for Jessica to take it. I looked over to Taeyeon, I think she’s trying to look where I am and possibly telepathically tell me to make a move or something. It was too late anyway. When Taeyeon’s eyes and mine met, Jessica had already taken Taecyeon’s hand.

Taeyeon was about to stand up and approach me but I shook my head, signaling her to stop. She sat back down and reluctantly turned away from me. Kris, Tiffany and Taeyeon continued talking. I watched Taecyeon and Jessica move along the dance floor. They danced, it looked pretty awkward at first but I guess both of them got a hang of it. Taecyeon’s hand was placed on Jessica’s waist while the other was holding her hand.

My eyes focused on Jessica, she was smiling. I’ve found a very deep admiration for that smile of hers. Hopefully, I’ll see it more often when I finally understand everything that’s going on with me and my feelings.

 

I just need more time, more time to understand myself.

 

I took one last look before turning around. With my hands in my pocket, I was headed towards the bar to check in with the bartender so that I would know who spent the most there. That person shouldn’t be left to drive to avoid any accidents.

 

“Excuse me, sir.” A man stopped in front of me. It was Yunseong, one of my father’s trusted assistants.

 

“Yes?”

 

“We have a problem. Please come with me.” It sounded very urgent so I gave him a nod and let him lead the way.

 

We went outside the function hall and went to the parking basement. I looked around and everything seemed fine to me, well that was before we arrived to where my car was parked.  

 

“I went here a few minutes ago to check your car and that’s when I saw this, sir. I have an idea as to who may have done this. "

 

My car was slightly trashed. The tires were blown out and my windshield was damaged as well. Just great. Let’s see who could’ve done this…

 

“…The valet from earlier.” I muttered. He’s the only who had access to my car besides me.

 

“You see sir, I asked around and it turns out that, it was that person’s first day of working. Right now he is nowhere to be found.”

 

I looked closer and noticed a note tucked behind the wiper. I took out my handkerchief and picked it up with it. I opened it up and read its contents.

 

T H I S  I S  O N L Y  T H E  B E G I N N I N G

 

N E V E R  F O R G E T

 

“Did my father see this?” The last thing I want right now is for my father to know about this. I want to handle this on my own without his interference.

“No, sir. Your father’s car was parked on the other side of the basement.”

I nodded and kept the note inside my pocket.

 

“Get rid of this car now. Make sure this doesn’t get out to anyone. Oh and arrange another car for me.”

 

“Yes sir.” Yunseong bowed and proceeded to make calls.

 

I left him there at the basement and went back to the function hall. I don’t understand just what, whoever did that to my car wanted to say.

 

This is only the beginning…

Never forget…

 

It could mean a hundred thousands of things. Well, whoever it is, I guess they want to play a game with me. I happen to like games so let’s see where this goes. The party was almost over and people were starting to leave and so I stationed myself near the exit to make sure that the staff are doing their jobs of assisting the guests. Based from my observations, no one’s that drunk so I think everything will be okay. I see Taeyeon, Kris and Tiffany walking out together with Jessica and Taecyeon trailing behind them.

 

Taeyeon saw me first and went ahead of everyone else and approached me.

 

“Oh hey there.” I said. At this point, I really don’t know what I should say. I’m sure she’s expecting me to explain myself for not even talking to Jessica at all tonight.

 

“Knowing you, you must have something planned right? I mean you’re not just gonna let the night end like this right?”

 

Not this time.

 

“You seem to get along with Tiffany well. Just remember what I said earlier, okay?” I avoided her question because I don’t have an answer for it.

 

I could see the confusion in Taeyeon’s eyes but she was wise enough to leave it at that. She didn’t press me anymore for answers. The others caught up with her and were now standing in front of me.

 

“I hope you all enjoyed the night. Thank you for attending. Please do get home safely.” I bowed and when I lifted my head my eyes found Jessica’s. Unfortunately for me she wasn’t smiling. She looked somewhat afraid or something like that.

 

“Thank you too! We really had fun!” Kris said

 

“Till next year!” Tiffany added cheerfully.

 

Taeyeon kept silent. Unexpectedly, Taecyeon spoke.

 

“Congratulations on KGC’s 50th year. I’m sure you’ll do great when the time comes.”

 

I’m 100% sure that isn’t what he wanted to say. He’s probably saying this because we’re in front of everybody else. He even went as far as offering his hand. I took it and shook hands with him. Jessica was right beside him, she looked even more uneasy.

 

As I let go of Taecyeon’s hand, Yunseong went to my side and informed me that my car is now ready.

 

“Let’s all go outside together, yeah?” Tiffany suggested

 

And we did as Tiffany said. I followed close behind Taecyeon and Jessica. Once we were outside, Taeyeon’s assigned driver, as well as Tiffany’s ride was there. On the far left I could see the car Yunseong prepared for me and so I went there but I didn’t go in just yet.

As for Taecyeon. I haven’t seen his uncle. I’m guessing he went ahead or he’s still inside. Everyone said their goodbyes to each other while I just stood to the far left, just watching them.

Taecyeon opened the door for Tiffany and Jessica while Kris settled himself up front beside the driver. Jessica and Taecyeon talked for a bit before she got on and closed the door.

A few seconds after Tiffany’s car drove off. Taecyeon glanced over to my direction however he said nothing and went back inside, probably to get his uncle or something. Taeyeon went to my side and looked at me with the same eyes as earlier.

 

“Well, I had fun. Your cousin seems like a fun person to be with. I kinda like her already.” Taeyeon said. I think she was trying to lighten up the mood or something like that.

“That’s great. Hey, you should get going. It’s getting late. The driver’s waiting for you.” I said as I pointed to the guy who was patiently waiting by one of the parked cars in front of the hotel.

“I know… I just wanted to….” Taeyeon’s voice was getting smaller and smaller. I knew what she wanted to ask, it was pretty obvious.

“I’m okay, Taeyeon. There’s no need to worry about me. Go home.” I could see the worry painted on her face, fade a little bit as I said that.

 

There’s nothing really to be worried about. Right now, I don’t really feel anything. Maybe I’ll feel something later on when I actually understand what’s going on with me. As of the moment, I just don’t have the answer to anything. Taeyeon nodded and said her goodbye. She went ahead and got on the car that was waiting for her. As for me, Yunseong was just waiting for me to get on the car he prepared. For some reason, I don’t feel like being in a car right now. I’d rather just walk so I called him over.

 

“Get that car back to the main house. I’ll just walk home.”

 

“..but sir, it’s late and with the incident earlier, I don’t think it’d be wise for you to be alone.”

 

“Don’t worry about me. Do as I say and go home.” I said in a more commanding way.

 

Yunseong did not fight back anymore and just bowed his head. He got on the car and drove away. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

 

What a night.

--

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hello there dear readers! We have reached 150 subscribers! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Thank you to everyone!!!! 

It seems like our main character, Yuri, is quite in a predicament! I hope you guys understand what I wanted to convey in the story. He's very much confused about the things he's going through right now. I hope you guys are getting Yuri's character here! LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENTS!!!! (now's probably a good time to ask any questions regarding the chapters I've posted! Just in case you guys got confused or something :D)

I want to recommend a song to you guys! Does anyone listen to Urban Zakapa here? I've been a fan of them ever since their debut! They released a new album last last week, I think. Here's a link to my favorite song on their new album! They even have a music video for it! CLICK ME 

 

THANK YOU AGAIN! 

-ymllama