A Night To Remember [Part 1]

Back At Your Door

Chapter 13

 

Author’s POV

 

The day of the Kwon clan’s corporation founding anniversary has now come. Anyone who’s anyone will be at that event. Celebrities, Politicians, Business Tycoons, Fashion elites and many more. The preparations for this particular event had its organizers running wild all week and now that the day of the party has come, the pressure rose to its levels.

As expected, the morning of the party, Yuri received a package from his aunt. It contained his outfit for tonight. Im Sang Ah wanted the best for her one and only nephew. The tuxedo was sent straight to Yuri’s door from Italy. It was a handmade custom-tailored suit. The package also included a pair of Testoni oxfords and a Patek Philippe watch. Yuri could only shake his head. He was never really comfortable with wearing such things, he preferred simplicity above anything else.

As he was taking out the contents of the package, a piece of paper caught his eye.

 

“Wear these tonight and make me proud, kiddo! Make sure to introduce me to the girl who has you swooning over her! – Your favorite Aunt <3”

“Favorite…” Yuri snickered. He wasn’t that close to Sang Ah however when Yuri’s mother died, the former promised herself that she would look after her sister’s precious son.

 

Yuri kept the package aside. He then decided to give a quick call to Taeyeon whom he hasn’t spoken to for quite a while.

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

 

“Hey there, Kwonnie!” Taeyeon greeted cheerfully.

Yuri sighed as he heard what his friend said over the line. Yet another name added to the ever growing list of names Taeyeon has called him.

 

“Did you invite your friends to the party? Also, have you arranged your ride?”

“Yes and yes! I called the number on the invitation you gave me. Everything’s pretty much set.”

 

“Good. I just called to check in. Anyways, I’ll see you later then.”

“Okie dokie!”

 

Yuri hanged up a few seconds after. He looked around his apartment and tried to find something to do. He has a lot of time before the party starts. Ultimately, there wasn’t anything to do. Yuri plopped himself on his couch and stared at the ceiling.

 

Jessica.

 

As soon as that speck of thought hit him, he grabbed his phone and sent a text to Jessica’s way.

 

To: Uncoordinated Jung

 

Hello.

 

Yuri waited for Jessica’s reply however hours passed and still there was nothing from her.  He didn’t want to flood Jessica’s phone with messages so Yuri decided to go back to finding something to do.

 

He stood up from his couch and roamed around his apartment. Yuri found himself in his room, eyeing his digital piano sitting at the left corner of his room. It’s been a long time since he last played it. He approached it and took off its cover. Yuri took the chair from his desk and dragged it in front of his digital piano.

Yuri sat down and placed his hands above the keys. He tried to think of something to play. A distorted melody came to his head. He tried to focus on what he was hearing in his mind and tried to play it.

It was a simple deep melody. Yuri can’t quite remember where he learned it before. He closed his eyes as he played. Yuri wasn’t 100% focused on playing, his mind was still trying to figure out where this melody he is currently playing came from. Was it from memory? Or was he just playing an improvisation? As much as he wants to believe the latter, there was just too something familiar about it that he couldn’t shake off. His hands moved for what seemed like forever, hitting each and every right note but towards the end he his hands stopped for they didn’t know where to go.  (click here for the piano track he was playing. Note: Yuri should stop playing around 1:07 of the video :D )

He stopped playing and put his hands on his lap. Yuri, well actually his hands, didn’t know how to end the song. As for Yuri himself, he had two questions in his mind: Where did he pull that familiar melody out from? If it was from his memory, why doesn’t he remember the last part?

A long deep sigh echoed in his room. Yuri eventually gave up on trying to remember. He was thinking maybe it would just suddenly come to him when he’s not actually thinking of it. Yet again there was nothing to do, so he decided to read random books from his shelf. He sat down on his bed and leaned against the headboard and started his reading session.

 

--

Jessica’s POV

I woke up to someone endlessly calling my name and even going as far as shaking my body. I tried my best to open my eyes, only to see Tiffany hovering over me.

“Ya! I’ve been trying to wake you up for hours now!” Tiffany had her hands on her waist.

 

I was barely hanging on to reality. My body and mind was still in the depths of my dreamland. Tiffany was saying something to me but I couldn’t really make anything out of it. I forced myself to sit up so that I could get a better grip of myself and hopefully wake my senses up.

 

“Are you even listening?!” Tiffany said in her usual loud voice

“I’m trying to. What were you saying?” I lazily said

 

Tiffany then went on about why she came over. She heard from Kris that Yuri had also invited us to the same party and it seems that she was also curious about my relationship with him.

 

“I still can’t believe Yuri invited you guys! He doesn’t seem socially inclined, you know?”

“We’re friends…” I was slowly coming back to my senses with the mention of Yuri’s name. The happenings from last night resurfaced in my mind.

 

Tiffany cocked her head to the side and gave this expression like she was pondering over something.

 

“So what is he like?” Tiffany asked

“What do you mean?” I asked back while rubbing my eyes

“Well, I don’t know anything about him. I’m quite close with his dad, my uncle, but I know nothing about his son.”

 

I raised my eyebrows.

 

“Doesn’t he talk about Yuri?”

“Come to think about it, no. When I was a kid, my dad always took me along whenever he went to their house. That’s how I got close with Yuri’s dad. During those times, I barely saw Yuri at all.”

 

This got me thinking back to what he said when we watched the sun set.

 

“Don’t think that this must be the reason why I am the way I am now. It isn’t, it’s far darker than this, trust me.”

 

“Hey Tiff… did something happen to Yuri before? Like anything traumatic during his childhood?”

 

..

...

..

“I don’t know but at some point my father and I stopped coming to their house. Whenever I asked my dad why, he’d always avoid answering me but I think it had something to do with Yuri.”

 

What?

I waited for Tiffany to continue on with her story. She sat down on my bed before speaking again.

 

“Sometime after we stopped going to Yuri’s place, I heard my parents talking about him. The only thing I made out of their conversation was that he dropped out from his school.”

 

Dropped out? What reason could he have to do so? Did he get sick or something?

“Did you ever find out why?”

 

Tiffany tried her best to think back to that time but she came up with nothing. It wouldn’t hurt to poke around his past right? I feel like there’s so much more beyond what he’s showing. A part of me somehow doesn’t want to know it, just a tiny part though. I’m just afraid that whatever he has beneath that mask of his might be something I can’t handle. I wouldn’t want to make him confide to me and then just runaway when he has laid everything down.

 

“Going back to my question, what is he like? Kris tells me you’re getting all cozy with him yeah?” Tiffany teased

“Cozy? What? No! He’s just a good friend, okay?”

 

Tiffany gave me this smug look. She was definitely doubting my words.

 

“Well, care to explain that Voltaire paper bag on your desk then?”  She said pointing to that ridiculously stylish paper bag on my desk.

I heaved a sigh and explained every single detail of yesterday’s events plus everything that has happened before that. This is how we are. We’d tell each other everything, absolutely no secrets.

 

“Oh my God. Yuri totally has a thing for you! Well, he did kinda confess so you should know that by now. And this Taecyeon guy seems like a nice guy too! Two guys have the hots for Jessica Jung. I’m proud to be your bestfriend.” She gave me a pat on my shoulder

“Yuri never said that he liked me in that way and Taecyeon’s probably just being nice…. Although if things are how you say they are then I’m sure it won’t last long.” I said as I got up from my bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face. I bent down and splashed my face with water coming out from my sink. I heard Tiffany walking behind me

 

“What do you mean?” Tiffany asked she leaned against my bathroom door.

 

I dried my face with the towel that was on the bar attached to the wall on my right. I looked at Tiffany through the mirror before speaking.

“They’ll stay away from me once they know about that thing from last year…” I said with a bitter smile

 

It was only a matter of time till they discover the skeletons in my closet. That mistake of mine is forever etched into my existence. It’s a part of me that I’ll never be proud of and that goes for everyone who’s close to me. I’m not stupid, I know Kris and Tiffany were deeply disappointed because of the choices I made. I am too but during that time, it seemed to me that it was something I had to do and even something I wanted to do. The realization came late but it hit me pretty hard.

 

“Jess…” Tiffany sighed. She had nothing else to say because she knew deep down that it was true. I’m even surprised that she can still hang out with me. She’s from a well-known family and getting involved with the likes of me were definitely a no-no for someone like her. The same goes for Yuri… well actually the same goes for everybody.

 

I turned around to face her to give her a smile.

 

“Have I told you how much I appreciate everything you’ve done for me? Because I do. I really do, Tiff.”

Tiffany put her hands on my shoulder and shook me with much effort.

 

“Jessica Jung snap out of it!! And yes I know you do. You’ve told me a hundred thousand times before.” She let go of her grip on me and laughed.

“Hey I was aiming for a dramatic moment! You ruined it.” I tried to sound as bitter as possible in a joking way of course.

 

“It doesn’t suit you. Never ever do it again, okay? Anyways, back to Yuri! Are you guys gonna go together? Or what?”

Tiffany’s words hit me yet again. Come to think of it, Yuri never mentioned about us going together. Not that I was expecting him to ask or what. I didn’t even think of it till now.

 

“He didn’t say anything so I guess me and Kris will just go with you!” I said excitedly. It has been awhile since I’ve spent some time with my best friend.

Tiffany broke into a smile but it wasn’t an ordinary smile. I know this look on her face all too well. Based from my past experiences, when she gives off that smile… It usually doesn’t end well for the one who’s receiving it, in this case, me.

 

“In one condition…” Tiffany says menacingly.

 

 

“What is it this time?” I whined

 

…..

..

..

.

 

“Yuri may have temporarily stolen my role as your stylist but he surely won’t be able to steal my spot as your hair and make-up artist!” Tiffany clasped her hands together

 

 

 

Oh no.

--

Author’s POV

 

Yuri eventually gave up on reading. He couldn’t focus because there was just too much going on inside his head. Truth be told, Yuri felt excitement within him. This feeling was well contained, he looked calm and cool on the outside but giddy and thrilled on the inside.

With Jessica on his mind, he was able to forget the piano incident earlier. The troubling thoughts he had soon faded and were now replaced by alluring images of her.  Needless to say, Yuri’s curiosity was getting the best of him. He wanted to see Jessica in a new way and tonight’s event would be a perfect place to start.

 

*Ring Ring*

 

Yuri looked over to his side table and saw Taeyeon’s name on his phone’s screen.

 

“Yuri!” Taeyeon said as Yuri picked up her call

“What?”

“Uh listen about tonight... I know you just called to check up on me but something came up and I might not be able to come.”

“Why?”

“Long story. If I do make it, I’ll probably crash the party though. I won’t be wearing a dress or anything fancy. I just realized that I don’t have anything to wear for tonight...”

“You can wear anything. People usually go crazy whenever they attend our party. I’m sure you can’t do any worse.”

 “Still, things are a bit complicated on my end. I just called to give you a heads up. See you later, if ever that is.”

“Okay.”

 

Complicated? Hmm.

 

Yuri put his phone back on top of the side table. The party was still hours away and Yuri had absolutely nothing to do. He was expecting his father to call him up to make him help or run an errand for the event but no one called him after Taeyeon.

 

What is there to do?

 

The apartment’s clean.

 

No assignments.

 

No book to read.

 

Absolutely nothing to do.

 

I wasn’t like this before. It seems that time flows excruciatingly slow today.

 

“Frustrating, really.” Yuri muttered under his breath.

Giving up on trying to think of something productive to do, Yuri eventually decided to drift back to sleep but before doing so he set up an alarm and grabbed his earphones that was also on his side table and plugged it in to his phone.

He put on some classical music to help him haul himself back to his dreamland. The process was long and gruesome but in the end, Yuri went back to sleep.

..

..

..

..

..

 

(MEANWHILE)

The same woman from the night before was now standing outside a columbarium. She entered the building with light footsteps, as if trying not to wake the already dead people inside of their urns. This woman walked towards the end of the hall until she reached the one she was there for. 

 

She put the flowers she had in her hand and placed it on the holder next to the engraving of the name of the one resting on that particular spot. (click here to see what I'm talking about :D)

 

“Hey there. It’s me. How are you holding up? It’s been awhile since I’ve gone to see you.” she said as she touched the glass niche.

 

Yet again her mind was flooded with memories she had of this particular person. She smiled bitterly as she remembered how this person’s life ended, how she wasn’t there when it happened and how terrible it made her feel. 

 

These were the things that she regretted the most. After wallowing in misery for so long, she has now decided to break her silence. I’m not going to cry anymore, she says in her mind. She vowed to never let her weaknesses get the best of her ever again.

 

“I’m here now…” 

--

Taecyeon’s POV

 

“Taecyeon!” My uncle shouts from upstairs.

I briskly walk up the stairs and stood in front of my Uncle’s desk. He was reading through various documents. It took him awhile before looking up to me.

 

“I want to remind you of tonight’s event. If you made plans, cancel them. Tonight is an important event.”

I quickly shook my head and assured him that I had no other plans.

“You haven’t told me what tonight is for? Is it some social party?” I asked. It’s been a few days since my uncle told me about this party but he never really mentioned what it was for.

“It’s the founding anniversary of KGC today. They throw a party every year to commemorate it.”

 

KGC?

I threw my uncle a questioning look. I had no idea who or what KGC is.

 

“KGC or Kwon Group of Companies is currently the top corporation of South Korea. They’ve been maintaining that spot for years now and we, EDX, is fortunate to be one of their associates. We sealed the deal early last year so it’d be a great opportunity to meet potential clients.”

 

“Ohh. Must be a big event then?”

“You bet. A lot of people would be there.”

 

In all honesty I’m not really interested in any of these but it’s really important to my uncle so I don’t really have a choice. I’m pretty sure it’ll be one of those parties where everyone would pretend to like each other and what not. I never really understood rich people. Instead of confrontation, they prefer to talk behind each other’s back and hope that word would spread fast. Reputation is their number one concern. Without it then their existence wouldn’t mean a thing anymore

 

 

“Promise me you’ll behave later! The last thing I want to see at that party is you picking a fight with someone.”

“I’ll try my best.”

 

Truth be told I’m a bit short tempered. I really have no sense of control whenever it comes to certain things but I do try to get a hold of myself when things get really intense. I’ve been into numerous fights back in America. Most of those were because of stupid things. I don’t regret any of them though. It was because of those stupid fights that I learned how to fight properly.

 

“I got you a new tux. I made the tailor pattern the measurements from your old ones. Try it on.” My uncle points to the garment bag on the couch at the side.

 

I took it and disappeared from my uncle’s study and proceeded into my own room. I took out the tux from the bag and decided to try on the coat. It fits perfectly so I figured the rest of it would too. As I was putting it back, my phone rang. I hurried what I was doing and picked it up from my bedside table.

 

“Hello?” I didn’t have time to see who it was.

“Taecyeon-ah… It’s me.” A familiar voice on the other line greeted me.

“Grace? Is that you?”

“That’s Grace noona to you! Have you forgotten that you’re in Korea now?!” she shouted. I had to move my ear away from my phone for a bit.

“And so are you. When did you arrive?”

 

Grace is a close friend of mine. I met her because of my older sister whom she used to work with until my sister decided to quit and focus on her marriage. Grace is a renowned fashion blogger back in the US and from what I heard she got offered a job here in Korea as an assistant editor of a known (well not to me) fashion magazine. I don’t know why she agreed to work here instead of the various offers she got from Europe. Not that I’m degrading Korea or what not but she was offered far better positions there.

 

“A little while back. Anyways, I heard you’re going to KGC’s party.” 

 

How does she know about that?

“Uncle’s making me go. How’d you know? Are you invited too?”

“You could say that. My new boss is making me go. I guess I’ll see you tonight then, you overly-tall brat.”

“See you later, shorty.”

 

I hanged up and put my phone back on the table.

 

At least I’d have someone to talk later at the party. Hopefully, Grace can keep me company, it’s either her or I’ll probably spend the night at one corner, just looking at the rich and famous do their thing.

I heaved a sigh. The thought of spending such a great night at some boring party has got me really down. If it were up to me, I’d rather spend time with Jessica. The not so official date we had last time is the best one I’ve ever had. She knows how to keep the conversation going and she does it with so much ease. Everything about that night was perfect… well except that part when we saw Yuri and Taeyeon. Jessica acted a bit weird after seeing them but nevertheless all was good when I walked her home.

 

I wonder what she’s doing now….

Another sigh escaped me. There was nothing I could do but wait for the next time I could see her again which would be on Monday.

 

If only I was her partner for that sky lantern thing…

 

..

..

..

.

 

“Taecyeon-ah! I need you to run an errand for me!” My uncle shouts again from his study. I shook my head and ran off to my uncle.

 

--

Author’s POV

 

*Beep Beep*

A pair of jet black eyes slowly opened. Yuri reached for his phone to turn off the alarm he set up earlier today and as he did, he noticed that he had 5 unread messages.

 

From: Taeyeon

Kwonnie! It looks like I can go! See ya later!!!!

 

 

..

 

From: Taeyeon

Oh maaan I totally forgot to tell you that the others bailed out on me. I’ll go alone so you better introduce me to someone when I get there!!!

 

..

 

From: Coach Park

I did some research on that Kris guy. He has skills, it’d be a waste not to recruit him. Don’t forget to let him train with you next week. Let me know how he does, don’t go easy on him.

 

 

..

 

From: Yunseong

Good afternoon sir. Would you like to be picked up from your apartment? Or would you rather use the car from yesterday?

 

..

 

From: Jessica

Hey there! Sorry, I didn’t reply earlier! I left my phone in my bag. Anyways, thank you again for the gown and for inviting me and Kris! See you later!!

 

….

 

A small smile crept up Yuri’s face at the sight of Jessica’s message. He got up from his bed and stretched for a bit. It was 6 o’clock in evening. The party was scheduled to start at 8pm however Yuri wanted to get to the venue earlier just in case there were things needed to be done.

Yuri tapped on his phone and went on to place a call

 

*ring ring*

 

“Good Evening, sir.”

“Good Evening too. I received your text message. I’ll be using the car from yesterday. No need to pick me up. Thank you.”

“If you say so, sir. However, if you do change your mind please do not hesitate to give me a call.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

 

Yuri hanged up and tossed his phone back on his bed. He went on to get himself refreshed once again by taking a shower. Afterwards, he walked out of his bathroom and towards his living room where he left the box that his aunt sent him this morning.

 

..

..

..

 

Everything fitted him perfectly. He wore a charcoal black coat and a pair of dress pants of the same color, a grey undershirt and a red bowtie with grey polka dots on them. To finish his look, he put on the shoes and watch that came with his tux. Yuri walked over to his bathroom and looked at himself through his mirror that functions as a mini cabinet as well.

Yuri opened the cabinet and took out a small circular container of a particular brand of hair wax. He wasn’t the type to style his hair at all however since he was a part of the family who was hosting the party, he had to make sure he presented himself at his best. He put a little bit of wax on his hands and proceeded to his hair over and over again. Yuri’s hair was brushed up a little bit to the side kinda like how the men of New York in the 1920s had their hair done.  (See here)

He was pretty much done. Yuri stepped out of his bathroom and grabbed his phone, wallet and keys. He then proceeded to walk out of his apartment and into the now slightly cold streets. Yuri went over to the lot where he had parked his car from the night before and got on it.

Once he was inside he put on his seatbelt and drove off into the night.

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

I got to the venue at around 6:50 in the evening. When I got to the entrance I stopped my car and let the valet do his job. I walked towards the double automatic glass doors and got inside. As soon I stepped in I saw one of my father’s assistants. This guy saw me approaching him and so he gave me a formal bow which until now I find so uncomfortable.

 

“Good Evening, Mr. Kwon. It’s such a delight to see you.”

 

What on earth could be delighting about seeing your boss’ son?

 

“Is everything set?”

These people don’t actually let me help them. For some reason they all think that I shouldn’t which I don’t understand at all. Well, it’s kind of a given since I’m their boss’ son but still wouldn’t it be just better if they let me? Nothing ever hardly goes wrong during the preparations but of course it wouldn’t hurt to double check everything.

 

“Yes sir. I’ve taken it to myself to make sure tonight would be nothing but perfect.”

“I’ll take your word on that however I would like to check a couple of things. Do you have the list of guests for tonight?”

 

This guy’s face stiffened. I could see the hint of anger in his eyes however he didn’t really have a choice but to give me what I was asking for. Have I mentioned how some of them really don’t like me? Well, there you go. Some of them don’t because they think I’m a know-it-all brat. I don’t blame them though. Given the background I have, it’s normal for them to consider that I’m just another dumb rich kid.

 

“Thank you.” I said as he handed me a clipboard

 

He gave me an easily recognizable fake smile before turning around and walking away.

 

Well someone’s grumpy.

 

I scanned the list and made sure that the names of the people I invited were there. As I was going through it, I saw Taecyeon’s name.

 

Oh. Him. I almost forgot.

 

Taecyeon took it pretty hard when I got partnered with Jessica for the sky lantern making project. I didn’t rig the basket nor did I plan for it to happen. It just did. If that alone got him all worked up, I wonder what he’ll do if he saw me with Jessica tonight.

 

Something is bound to go wrong tonight. Oh well.

 

I walked around the venue, still holding the clipboard. The party would take place at this particular hotel that KGC owns or we own. From what I heard the hall got renovated just for this event. I entered the function room and saw a bunch of staffs walking around doing their jobs. The room was very grand and luxurious. From the chairs to the table napkins and utensils, everything looked rather lavishing. There were also several chandeliers hanging from above. A stage was situated at the far center then the big space in front of it would be the dance floor; this was a party after all. Our insignia was placed right at the middle of the stage, as usual it was presented in gold.

I would be seated somewhere near the stage with my father and some of our relatives from the main family. I don’t know where Tiffany and her family would be seated however I’m sure it won’t be too far from us. The list of guests I was looking at earlier also indicated if they were to be picked up by the cars we provided. Jessica and Kris’ names were not marked, I’m assuming they would go with Tiffany.

I heard from Jessica, herself, that she and Tiffany are best of friends so naturally they would share every single detail of their daily life to each other. I reckoned that Tiffany would find out that I invited them without me actually saying anything.

My eyes caught sight of my father walking around with a few men following him. I approached him and greeted him with a formal bow.

 

“Oh you’re here…” My father acknowledged my presence and introduced me to the people with him who apparently were KGC’s foreign partners/associates

 

“…This is my one and only son, Yuri.” My father says in English.

 

Most of them looked like westerners so I didn’t bow but instead just greeted them back.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” I cooked up a smile and served it right to them.

 

They smiled back and after a few minutes of small talk about me taking over KGC and what not, they continued their tour of the hotel. Everything seemed okay on the surface but still, one little detail could ruin everything; butterfly effect in other words. 

I walked around the hall, stopping here and there to ask if everything was in place on their part. Eventually, I found myself having absolutely nothing to do except wait for the guests to arrive. I checked everything and the way I see it, everything’s pretty much a done deal. So now we wait.

----------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE!

HELLO ALL!!

It's been a long time, huh? I'm really sorry for the delay!! I've been way too busy with college stuff that I had no choice but to abandon this story for awhile! I'm back now! Hopefully, this time I can balance things better now! 

A lot of things happened. I'm pretty sure all of you know that Jessica is now, no longer a member of Girls' Generation. I gotta be honest, it really took a toll on me. She was one of my favorite members  too. Well, the good news about this is that both parties are doing well. I think? (based on articles and other media stuff)

Most fans still refuse to accept this fact, it's gotten to the point where people are dividing themselves into two factions. Team Jessica and Team GG (which is really weird) While I understand the feelings of these people, I think there shouldn't be any division at all. No one knows what really happened. And I think none of us fans will reallly know any time soon. The important thing is to support all 9 of them! Just my thoughts haha 

I actually checked out Jessica's collection.I bought a pair of sunglasses as a gift to a close sunbae of mine at school. So yeah, that person liked it which is cool!

Let me know your thoughts, down at the comment section below! Also tell me what you think about the update haha! Thank you everyone!!!