Mask

Back At Your Door

Chapter 41

 

Author’s POV

 

“My answer’s yes.” Jessica said as Yuri stood in front of her.

 

Yuri understood what she meant. He would have wanted a chance to say something back whoever as soon as Jessica answered his question, she hurriedly bid him goodnight and ran back to her apartment. IT left Yuri no choice but to just silently walk away.

 

It wasn’t too long before he reached his own apartment. Yuri’s hands reached for door however he did not immediately open it. His hand stayed there for a couple of seconds as if he was contemplating on entering or not.

 

With a swift turn, he entered his apartment and went directly into his room. He checked his phone for a while. Scrolling up and down amongst different kinds of headlines, he sat on the edge of his bed. Again, it didn’t last for long. He placed his phone on his side table and went inside his shower.

 

It was just another night for Yuri to silently do his routine. It shouldn’t be any different from all the nights he spent in his own house.

 

After showering he laid himself down on his bed. The whole house was silent and the only thing that could be heard was his own breathing. His eyes trail along the vast view from his window. Most of his nights were spent like this, he had nothing but silence to comfort him.

 

The silence that he was so used was disrupted by a familiar ring. He grabs his phone that lit up from an apparent notification.

 

It was a voice message that came from Jessica.

 

He opens it to see the message attached to it.

 

From: Uncoordinated Jung

 

I recorded this pretty quickly with an instrumental I found on the internet so please bear with it. With this we’re even now!  Good night J

 

He presses the play button and sets his phone back down to listen to it. The voice clip was 4 minutes long. A soft voice greets his ears as he listens to Jessica’s singing for the first time.

 

As he was listening a small smirk landed on his lips.

 

“Foolish girl…” he whispers to no one in particular

 

He tosses around and kept Jessica’s recording playing until he fell asleep.

--

The weekend that the gang planned to go to Lottte World came about. Yuri promised to go however he said that he would just catch up with the group as he had things to do.

 

To: Taeyeon

 

Something came up. I’ll catch up later. You guys go ahead. I’ll just meet you there.

 

 

Taeyeon keeps her phone back to her pocket. Everyone was at the agreed meeting place already. The only one who wasn’t there was Yuri.

 

“Uh guys… Yuri said we should go ahead. He’ll meet us in Lotte World instead.” Taeyeon says to the group.

 

No one really protested or said anything. Taeyeon looks at Jessica’s direction and was reassured that Jessica was also informed by Yuri.

 

“Besides Yuri, everyone is here right?” Taeyeon looks around their big group.

 

So there’s: Me, Jessica, Sooyoung, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Choa, Kris and Taecyeon. Oh and Yuri. Wait.

 

“Where are the two kids?” Taeyeon asks Sooyoung in particular

 

“Ahh. Yoona and Seohyun? They’re off somewhere. I asked them yesterday and they both said they had plans.”

 

“Well, that’s everyone. Let’s go!” Taeyeon extends her arm and points forward.

 

Like a bunch of kids, everyone decided to play along and march like kids to the amusement park. Once they got inside, there wasn’t a doubt in any of them that it’d be a great night. For what it’s worth, they all felt like they have gone back to their childhood.

 

Innocence found them again and it made them feel safe to go crazy just for this one night.

 

--

 

Choa’s POV

 

I’m having fun. I’m actually having fun. My heart feels so at ease though I’m not sure if it’s because of the company these people are giving or if I’m just really feeling refreshed of going outside my box. Whatever it is, the bottomline is that I’m happy. I know I shouldn’t just be playing around. I have a reason why I’m here after all. I haven’t forgotten, I really haven’t. I just really missed feeling carefree… that’s all.

 

We’ve at least swept half of the rides here. Everyone was still full of excitement and no one really showed any signs of exhaustion. Like I said it’s been awhile since I’ve gone out so naturally the fatigue caught up to me.

 

“I’m gonna simmer down for awhile. You guys go ahead. I’ll just wait here.” I politely said to everyone

“Maybe we should take a break?” Hyoyeon suggested.

 

I didn’t want to be a party pooper so I insisted that they go on ahead without me. To my surprise, Jessica also said that she wanted to take a break. I may not know her well but I have a feeling that she only said that so that I wouldn’t be all alone.

 

“You should’ve gone with the others.” I quietly said as we both sat down at one of the benches.

 

“My feet are killing me plus the last one we rode got me feeling a bit dizzy. I’d rather rest this off than risk a possible life-defining moment.” She cracks a joke and I give in to laugh

 

I haven’t heard anything from her about Yuri. We’ve been here for quite some time now and Yuri still hasn’t shown up.

 

“Any news about Yuri?”

 

She shakes her head but she still has a smile on. Shouldn’t she be disappointed by now?

 

“Will he come then?” I ask again

 

“He promised he’d be here before the fireworks start.” She says again with that smile of hers

 

I’m not sure if I should even feel any pity for this girl. She’s completely fallen for Yuri and that in itself, will be the death of her. It will get to her before she even catches on. It’s sad to see such a foolish girl but it’s too late now for her.

 

I felt my phone vibrate from my pocket. A text message came through.

 

From: Private Number

 

I’m here. Make an excuse and leave Jessica. We need to talk.

 

The number doesn’t show up at all but I know who it’s from. It could only be from one person. I look around and wonder where he’s hiding. Has he been watching us this whole time? I shouldn’t be surprised, really. It’s nothing new from a person like him.

 

“Hey, I’m just gonna go buy some snacks for our driver. He’s been waiting at the parking lot this whole time. I won’t take long.”

 

“Okay! I’ll wait here then.” She nods her head and smiles at me yet again.

 

I stood up from the bench and slowly walked further away from Jessica. I kept my phone in my hands, just in case he decides to call. He didn’t exactly tell me where to go but it’s always like this. He contacts me and not the other way around.

 

I got pretty far away from where I left Jessica before the second text came in.

 

 

From: Private Number

 

Go behind the carousel. There’s a bench near it. Sit down.

 

I sat down and waited for the next set of instructions. A few minutes passed and I noticed a hooded figure headed towards my direction. This person takes the empty seat beside me. I didn’t say anything in fear that I might have the wrong person. I couldn’t see this person’s face as he had his hood up.

 

“Are you having fun?” a muffled voice asks.

 

My heart stops. This isn’t him. Muffled or not, he shouldn’t sound like this. I was about to turn my head but he stops me from doing it.

 

“Don’t. Look up front.”

 

From the corner of my eye, I see the person beside me take out his phone and casually scroll through something.

 

“He’s just using you and before you know it, he’ll throw you away.” That condescending voice… It’s Yuri.

 

I chose silence for the second time. I wanted to stand up and walk away but for some reason I couldn’t.

 

“I know everything, Choa but you don’t.”

 

“I don’t need to. As long as I can—“ he cuts me off

 

“Forget? I know him better than you do. He’ll either kill you or worse, he’ll let you live in his own game.” Before I knew it, a lump in my throat formed and I couldn’t say anything back.

 

“I know he asked you to watch my every single move. To be honest I thought it was Sun Hee, my homeroom teacher but it turns out she has it far worse. She doesn’t have the slightest idea who she’s in a relationship with. I can only imagine what he told you to make you agree.” I couldn’t help but look around us. I was afraid that he might be watching us.

 

“You’re stupid for doing this. The minute he finds out you know about me, he’ll switch up his plans.” I said as I scan our surroundings. The amusement part is well lit. There practically lights everywhere. I imagined Yuri to be smarter than this.

 

“You’re right. This is quite risky but this would be the only time I can talk to you.” From the corner of my eye, I see him look at his wrist, possibly to check the time.

 

“…I’ve known everything since last summer and it’s all thanks to a tiny detail that he missed out.”

 

--

 

 

 

 

FLASHBACK (AUTHOR’S POV) (SUMMER BEFORE CLASSES OPENED) (AS READ ON CHAPTER 7)

 

Author’s POV

 

It took Yuri awhile to remember his former neighborhood but when he did recall it, he called a taxi to take him there. It became apparent to him that he had difficulties remembering anything about his childhood.

 

The other memories from when he started seeing Dr. Kim came out pretty clear to him but anything beyond that point was blurry. He started asking himself these things when he found the need to go back to his old house to get some of his father’s old books to get ahead in his studies.

 

The taxi ride lasted for one and a half hour. They stopped right in front of Yuri’s old house. He got out and started walking to the gate. He rang the doorbell and a voice from the intercom spoke.

 

“Might I ask who’s there?” a woman’s voice came through the speaker

 

“Ahjumma. It’s me, Yuri.”

 

“Oh. Mr. Kwon! I’ll be out in a second!”

 

A few seconds passed and a woman in her late 40s approached the gate and opened it.

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Mr. Kwon. You’ve grown up so well!”

 

Yuri bowed to the woman in front of him. She was one of the persons, Yuri grew up seeing all the time.

 

“I came here to get some of my books in my father’s library.”

 

The two entered the house. Yuri went straight to his father’s library and as he opened the door, a great hallway of shelves greeted him. This was the biggest room in their house and Yuri’s father took pride in that. Collecting books was something the boy’s father was fond of.

 

Yuri looked through some of the shelves and picked out books here and there. He stopped at the one shelf that wasn’t filled books. It was rather filled with vinyl records. These records belonged to his mother. Yuri then set down the books he has picked so far and decided to look at some of the records of his mother. There were a lot to choose from, it wasn’t just one genre. It was a collection of all kinds of genres. He scanned the whole shelf until his eye caught something odd. There was an empty space at the middle section of the shelf.

 

Thinking that the record was somewhere in the library, Yuri began to snoop around till he stumbled upon the vinyl player. There was already record on the player and it was the missing one on the shelf. Yuri looked over to his right to see the cover of the said record on a table. It was a Chinese song. 情人的眼淚 by 姚蘇蓉  

Yuri then played the record and listened to it. The song started with a familiar intro but Yuri couldn’t remember where he has heard it. The song naturally progressed and Yuri found himself singing along. Towards the middle of the song, Yuri felt a sudden attack of pain in his head.

He closed his eyes in an attempt to contain the pain. Images started to flicker through his mind and the boy couldn’t keep up. The pain got so intense that he dropped down on his knees and grabbed his head with his two hands. Seconds after he finally fell down on his back.

 

This is my favorite song--

 

I often played this for----

 

I love you---

 

Don’t worry, we’ll see each----

 

I’m going to meet your----

 

 

Goodbye, Yuri.

 

Yuri wanted to shout but he couldn’t, it was as if he lost his voice. When the song ended, the pain in his head faded too. He was now lying on his back on the floor. He opened his eyes and tried to sit up. Yuri didn’t understand what the images in his head were showing him, also the voices he heard where all distorted.

 

Yuri felt something trickle down his lips. His nose was bleeding and it seemed like it wasn’t gonna stop any time soon. He used the back of his hand to wipe the blood on his philtrum. Yuri slowly got up and when he did, he grabbed the record and its cover.  He made his exit, leaving the books he picked out earlier, behind.

 

Staggering through the halls, Yuri fell onto his knees once again. He held the record with one arm and tried to stand up with the other.

 

“Oh! Mr. Kwon!! Are you okay?” The housekeeper caught Yuri in his most vulnerable moment. She helped him stand up

 

“It’s n-nothing. I just… fell out of balance. I’m wearing new shoes…” Yuri was quick enough to think of an excuse. He tries his best to compose himself and ignore the after effects of the hell-like fire episode that happened in his head.  

 

“Ajhumma… I haven’t been here in a long time. I forgot where my parents’ room is. Where is it again?”

 

The housekeeper looks at Yuri strangely but in the end she led Yuri where he asked to be. The housekeeper opened the door and ushered in Yuri and followed after him.

 

Yuri looked around like a little lost child and this piqued the interests of the housekeeper more.

 

“You really don’t remember, Mr. Kwon?” The housekeeper bewilderingly asked.

 

Yuri didn’t know how to answer but he chose to play along to prevent anymore mishaps or misunderstandings.

 

“It’s been quite a while since I last came here…” Yuri said in hopes of not gaining anymore questions from their housekeeper

 

“But sir… you came here a few months ago… in this exact room. You even spent the night here.” The housekeeper finally said what’s been bothering her.

 

“Excuse me?” Yuri turned his head and directly looked at their housekeeper

 

“You came here a few months back. If I remember correctly, you received a letter about a painting and that painting was mistakenly delivered here. I didn’t know then that it was a mistake so me and the other housekeepers hung it here in this very room. You came here to take it yourself but then the rain started to pour down really hard that night so you spent the night here.”

 

Yuri was even more confused. He doesn’t remember anything that was even remotely close to what their housekeeper was telling him.

 

“Was there anything strange that I said that night?” Yuri decided to drop his act. It was apparent to him that there was no other way to logically approach this predicament of his by pretending.

 

Again, the housekeeper was surprised that Yuri seemed to have no recollection of their meeting that was dated a few months back.

 

“Come to think of it, you asked us to never enter this room and your father’s study without your instructions. These two rooms have not been cleaned in months. You also told every single housekeeper to call you if someone comes to visit the house. “ The housekeeper answered without fail

 

“Why weren’t these locked then?” Yuri asked confusingly. If he asked the housekeepers not to enter the room, then naturally he should’ve asked them to lock down the doors if he didn’t want anyone to see or touch some kind of thing he was trying to protect then.

 

“Well, sir… you asked us not to. You just told us not to enter them but never lock them. That and to call you if someone visits.”

 

Yuri started to think why in heaven’s name would he say that… and then just like lightning, it struck him

 

“…because it’d be too obvious.” Yuri mutters under his breath

 

“Sir?”

 

Yuri started to think hard. He told them not to lock the doors because it would be obvious if someone came and found out about the locked doors. Logically, that would mean that he was trying to protect something. Something that he found out, that fateful night.

 

“Ahjumma, did I ever tell you where I took the painting?”

 

The housekeeper shakes her head. There was nothing more to ask of her and so the housekeeper left Yuri, standing at the very center of his parents’ room.

 

Yuri closed his eyes and tried to focus. The pain in his head was slowly subsiding but it would come back to spike him every other minute. This instance made it harder for Yuri to concentrate. He started to compose himself by taking deep and slow breaths. He emptied his mind and started to really think.

 

Come on, Yuri. Think. Why would you ask them not to enter these two rooms? Let’s go back to why I came here in the first place...

 

I came to get books today and when I did I saw the vinyl record….

 

For the second time today, Yuri was struck by a metaphoric lightning.

 

“The record.” Yuri hurriedly took the vinyl record out of its box. He placed it down on the side table he found at the corner of the room. He then checked the box even further. As he reached inside, he was able to pull out a small photo. It was in the size of a polaroid shot.

 

The picture showed a big window that had a view of a big oak tree that was parallel to it. Yuri quickly turned around and stretched out his hand that was holding the picture. In an instant, he recognized the similarity between the photo and the window that was placed inside his parents’ room. It had the exact same view of a big oak tree not too far from the house itself. 

 

Yuri kept the photo in his pocket and was about to run out of his parents’ room and towards their backyard where the tree was placed when he realized something.

 

It’s too obvious for it to be somewhere near the tree. It has to be something I wouldn’t think of immediately. He reached for the photo again and looked at it once more.

 

A window with the view of the tree…

If I wasn’t me and I saw this, I would go to the tree.

 

If I were me, where would I go?

 

..

..

 

..

 

“Where the photo was taken.”

 

--

Yuri’s POV

 

I tried to find the exact angle and spot the photo was taken. I stood about 5 steps away from the center of the room and 5 steps forward. I looked around my spot to see if there was anything that looked out of place.

 

That’s when I noticed the light switch. It was held against the wall by two pieces of scotch tape. I took them out and with it came the whole case of the light switch. Inside the switch was a small key that had a piece of paper tied around it. I scan the piece of paper to discover an address and the number 22 written on it.

 

If my hunch is right, then this is a storage room. I must’ve placed the painting there but why would I hide the painting?

 

There’s only one way to find out then.

 

I dashed the down the stairs and made my way out of our old house. I ran all the way to the main road and got myself a taxi. The storage locker wasn’t that far from our old house so the ride didn’t take that long.

 

I got off the taxi and confirmed my theory. It definitely was a place of storage lockers. I walked around the compound until I saw the 22nd storage locker. I took the key out of my pocket and tried to open the roll up door. A clicking sound resounded in my ears. It opened.

 

I pushed the roll up door and entered. I reached out for the switch at the side and right then and there one of theories was confirmed.

 

A medium-sized canvass covered in a white sheet was sitting at the far end of the storage locker. It was the only thing there besides the chair that was at the side. My footsteps felt heavy and somehow the room, at least in my perspective, got smaller as I got closer to the painting.

 

I grabbed the white sheet with my hand and swiftly pulled on it. I threw it to the side and focused on what was beneath it.

 

A painting of woman sitting on a rocking chair with a baby in her arms greeted me. The painting was extremely detailed and it almost felt like it was an actual scene and not something inanimate.

 

I turned the painting around and saw an envelope attached to it. I pulled on the envelope and looked inside for its contents. The first thing I pulled out was a letter.

 

If you’re reading this then that means you found the record at dad’s study room at the old house and that he hasn’t found out about this. Before you read on further, you need to understand that the one who wrote this letter that you’re reading is no one but yourself, Yuri.

Your past self, which is me, is writing this letter. Let that sink in before anything else. You might not remember writing this letter but you did. You just have to trust that for now.

There are a lot more important things to talk about. There’s too much to say but I only have little time before he catches up. I’ll only say the most important things. From there you can find out more on your own. You’ve come out this far, I’m sure my future self, can do the rest.

The most important thing here is the painting. Right now, I know who the woman in the painting is but there is chance that when you find this, you won’t remember anymore. Start from the painting and everything will come back to you just like how it came back to me, to us. By now, I’m sure you’ve realized that there’s something wrong with us. The way we think is very different. I won’t dwell on this too long but to put it short, what’s wrong with us is not something natural.

The other thing to remember is to trust no one but yourself. Don’t even think about Kim Dohan. He’s behind every single thing. I may not have concrete evidence but that painting made me remember everything. He’s been playing us for far too long.

You have to pull through and not let him control your mind anymore but be careful. He’s always one step ahead. Everything will sound absurd but if there’s anything to believe, it’s this letter. Dohan is always watching us and to be honest this might come as a long shot but it’s worth the try. This game we’re in is not something that can be easily fixed if we go to the police. We have to play by his rules and make sure we win.

He might eventually catch up and make you forget again but you have to fight. You have to fight if you want to live.

 

--

Back to the Present

 

Author’s POV

 

After hearing Yuri’s story, Choa’s chest tightened. She started to see the bigger picture that was hidden behind what she was shown.

 

“I did what the letter said did my own research about the painting but it was hard considering that as the letter said, he was watching my every move.”

 

Choa’s anxiousness had her eyes looking around the theme park to scan their surroundings.

 

“The painting was made by my father. And the woman carrying a child in her arms, was my mother. My father donated the painting to that gallery. He wrote my name at the bottom right of the painting and that’s why the gallery must’ve thought it was the artist’s name. I couldn’t even recognize my mother’s face but if you asked me her name I would answer but beyond that it was empty and I lived like that for a long time. I knew things but I actually didn’t.”

 

Choa was silent. She continued looking around their vicinity to check for that one person who would have wanted the most to know that her and Yuri were talking.

 

“My mind, my memories were all altered. I don’t have to explain everything to you but all you have to know is that I’m well aware that you’re involved with Dohan. You’re playing on the wrong side, Choa.”

 

“And you’re the right side then? Give me one reason to believe that.” Choa finally took it upon herself and looked at the person who she was sitting with.

 

“I didn’t kill him, Choa. I didn’t kill Taekwoon hyung, Dohan did.” Yuri says as he pulls down his hood and reveals his masked face.

 

“Do you remember what I told you? That the Yuri that was up with you at the bell tower is different from the Yuri now?” Yuri presses a question but Choa doesn’t say anything.

 

And everything fell back to its place. Choa understood what Yuri meant behind his words.

 

“You knew everything even then… You wanted me to tell Dohan that you didn’t remember anything. And Jessica… Jessica? You wanted me to tell Dohan that Jessica was getting involved with you…”

 

The realizations hit Choa very hard. She realized how Yuri has been playing along with everything.

 

“You’re using Jessica as a cover. You wanted him to think that she’s helping you to remember so that he’ll focus on her and not you. All that talk about protecting her and you wanting me to watch over her because you said you wouldn’t be there was all for show. You said those things so that I’d tell that doctor and he’d be swayed to look into Jessica so you can move more freely. And here you are saying you’re the righteous one.” Choa scoffs and was about to stand up when she got pulled by the hand and was forcibly sat back down on the bench.

 

“Listen to me. I didn’t plan to for Jessica to happen. She was never part of it but things happened and now she is. I’ve been suffering ever since I remembered everything again last summer. I’ve been planning every single step of the way and sure maybe I did use her but this hate I feel towards Dohan is eating me alive and when Jessica showed up, I was able to break away from it for a while.” Yuri took a breather and let go of Choa’s hand

 

“I’m not throwing her under the bus. This is the only way to protect her. I can’t explain why or how but you have to trust me on that. Right now, Dohan still thinks he has me under his control but I’m not. Taeekwoon’s sister, Grace… she’s with me on this. She’s been watching Jessica over just to make sure that Dohan doesn’t go ballistic and put her in danger.”

 

“Grace? What? But I thought…” Choa’s words were caught in .

 

“No. She’s been planning with me this whole time. Everything that happened was part of my plan. This is all to make it look like Dohan is still in control. I can’t explain everything now but please you have to understand that you’re playing on the wrong side.” Yuri stands up from the bench and finally removes his mask.

 

He hands over the mask to Choa and puts back on his hood. Yuri walks away from the bench, leaving Choa in midst of confusion.

 

 

----

HELLO!

We're at the reality part of the story. The story was actually divided into two parts! The first parts were on the Expectations side and now we're on the verge of entering the Reality side of the story :D 

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT! 

COMMENTS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! 

PEACE!

-ymllama