Chapter 8

More than the heart can carry

A yawn escaped the brunette’s lips. She let her eyes fall back to the instrument in her lap, blinking once and twice as she tried to focus, but found it difficult as her brain still seemed to not have woken up. A sigh escaped her lips and she closed her eyes momentarily.

The door to the room opened and her eyes snapped open and her eyes fell on the girl who had entered. In time, actually. The girl smiled at her as she began taking off her jacket before she took a seat opposite Taeyeon.

“I practiced.” Narsha said proudly. Taeyeon nodded her head and let her eyes go down to the guitar.

“Good job.” Taeyeon mumbled. She felt eyes on her but ignored it as she strummed the strings on the guitar.

“You look tired.” The other girl pointed out. When she looked up at her she noticed Narsha had a concerned expression on her face. It made Taeyeon let out a sigh and she let her eyes wander away from the girl.

“I am tired.” Taeyeon admitted.

“Oh, went to bed late?”

“Yeah.” Taeyeon said. In truth she had went to bed not too long after she had gotten home. But thoughts and other things had kept her awake till the early morning hours. She noticed Narsha nodded her head by her answer.

“Should we start practice?” Narsha asked.

“Sure.” Having no objections Taeyeon began strumming the strings. She played a few accords and looked at the other girl, seeing Narsha had the lyrics sheet she began playing the intro and soon Narsha joined with her singing.

Just when they were about to reach the second chorus a loud clinging noise from the guitar startled them. Taeyeon blinked her eyes and looked down at the guitar, which now only had five whole strings. A sigh left her lips when as her eyes fell on the string which had snipped off.

“Is that supposed to happen?” Narsha asked.

“It happens.” Taeyeon said with a sigh and began to remove the broken string.

“Why?”

“Sometimes it can be because someone has attached the string wrong from the start.” Taeyeon said. Another tired sigh escaped her lips and she felt how tired she was and how little she wanted to change the string.

“Do you want me to get another guitar?” Narsha offered.

Taeyeon looked surprised at the other girl. She blinked a few times before she handed the guitar and broken string to Narsha.

“If you want.” Taeyeon said. Narsha smiled and took the guitar from her hand before she stood up from her seat. Taeyeon watched as the girl left, a sigh escaped her lips and she leaned her head back with her eyes closed.

She didn’t open her eyes until she heard the door to the room open. Her eyes landed on Narsha’s face, the girl looked a bit hesitant. It made her straighten up in her pose and look down on the guitar Narsha was holding out towards her.

“The teacher told me to give you this too.” Narsha said and held out a new guitar string. Taeyeon felt herself frown when she realized the teacher hadn’t given her a new guitar, but instead the old one and just a new string for her to attach. A sigh escaped her lips and she grabbed the string and the guitar from the girl.

“Do you know how to put it on?” Narsha asked.

“I do.” Taeyeon said and began her work on the string. She noticed Narsha watched her, but she ignored it and tried to focus on what she was doing. And making sure the string had been attached right as she had a feeling if it wasn’t put on right the music teacher would scold her for it.

“When did you start playing guitar?”

“Um…when I was twelve or something.”

“Oh, how come you started playing it?”

“My older brother had played guitar, but lost interest in it and I somehow picked it up instead.”

“Oh, so you have an older brother?”

“Two.”

“So you live with them and your parents?”

“I live with my mom.”

“Oh, are your parents divorced?”

“Yeah.” Taeyeon felt the questioning had gotten a bit annoying. She just wanted to tune this darn string and just continue practice and not answer any more questions about her family or why she had started playing guitar.

She sighed annoyed and strummed the strings of the instrument. It sounded good and she felt satisfied with it. Her eyes went up to the girl opposite her and noticed Narsha looked anticipating at her.

“We can continue to practice now.” Taeyeon said. Her eyes went down to the instrument in her hand, not catching the small look of disappointment on the other girl’s face.


---


“Are you sleep walking?” Taeyeon felt herself open her eyes upon the question. Her eyes landed on the two blonde girls and the brunette girl who walked in front of her. A sigh escaped her lips and she shook her head in answer.

“Then why are you walking with your eyes closed?” Taeyeon heard Jessica ask, a tone of amusement behind the girl’s words. Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders.

“Nothing to see, so why should I have my eyes open?” Taeyeon asked. She saw Jessica smiled by her answer, but she didn’t think much about it and continued to trail after the three girls, but kept her eyes open this time.

The four girls entered the cafeteria, and just when they were going to get in line they got stopped by a teacher that came up to them.

“Ah, Hyoyeon, Tiffany.” The teacher said with a smile. “The two of you have missed to do some of my assignments, can I speak to you for a moment about that?” The teacher asked. Taeyeon felt herself looked at Tiffany and Hyoyeon who exchanged glances with each other.

“You guys can go. Me and Taeyeon will find a table.” Jessica assured them.

“Okay.” Tiffany looked at Hyoyeon and the two of them followed the teacher. Taeyeon felt herself looking after Tiffany, not feeling the slightest comfortable at all being alone with Jessica. She saw Tiffany disappeared with the teacher and Taeyeon found herself getting in line after Jessica.

Soon the two of them had a plate of food and was table hunting. Jessica led the way and Taeyeon just followed the girl, not minding much where they sat.

Jessica finally seemed to have found a table and Taeyeon followed her. The two of them took a seat opposite each other and began eating the lunch in silence. Taeyeon wouldn’t say it was awkward, the two of them just didn’t seem to have much to say, or it could be that she was just too tired to feel any kind of awkwardness at the moment.

She suddenly heard the girl sitting opposite her laugh which made her look up from her food. Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion when she saw the blonde girl smiling at her.

“Sorry, but you look really tired.” Jessica pointed out. Hearing it was just about that Taeyeon let her eyes go back to her plate of food. “You don’t want to take a coffee or something? You look ready to fall asleep with your face in the food.”

“The food looks kind of appealing to sleep in.” Taeyeon mumbled. Her statement earned her a giggle from the blonde opposite her, and Taeyeon felt that if she hadn’t been so tired maybe she would have smiled along with Jessica.

“Maybe it will be a good face mask.” Jessica suggested. It actually drew a chuckle out of Taeyeon’s lips and she looked up at the blonde. She saw Jessica smiled at her and she too managed to muster up some kind of smile.

“Do you wanna try?” Taeyeon asked.

“I’ll pass.” Jessica said with a grin.

“And I’m not the face mask type so I’m not gonna try.” Taeyeon said and leaned back in her seat. A yawn escaped her lips which she covered with her hand. She looked back at Jessica who she noticed was looking at her, the corners of the blonde’s lips tugged upwards into a smile.

“Maybe I can make Hyoyeon try it.” Jessica said. It drew a smile to Taeyeon’s lips and she looked down on her food before she looked up at Jessica again. Jessica smiled at her, and Taeyeon felt she wanted to say something, something to start a conversation. But her brain was too tired to come up with any topics at all.

“What are you going to make me try?” She heard someone behind her say. She looked back and noticed Tiffany and Hyoyeon had come back and Taeyeon felt herself feeling slightly disappointed at their arrival. She watched as the two girls took a seat by the table, Hyoyeon looking questioning at Jessica who just smiled at her.

“What do you say about using this as a face mask?” Jessica asked and pointed at Taeyeon’s plate. A disgusted expression appeared on Hyoyeon’s face and she looked wide eyed from Taeyeon’s plate to Jessica.

“Ew!” Hyoyeon said.

“What? Imagine how much vitamins it is in this. Maybe it will be good for your face.” Jessica said innocently.

“Then why don’t you try it?”

“My face is already pretty. I don’t need face masks.” Jessica said with a grin. A frown appeared on the other blonde’s lips, and Jessica began laughing as Hyoyeon pushed her shoulder.

Taeyeon watched the two blonde’s, who went from their small bickering to a conversation about TV-shows. Tiffany also joined the conversation and Taeyeon found herself half listening to their conversation while she poked the food left on her plate.

The conversation went from what happened in the show, to the music that had been in the show, and Taeyeon found herself slightly amazed that Jessica seemed to know the name of every soundtrack, every artist, and also had a whole list of which songs she liked the best and why.

“Hey, aren’t you taking music classes?” Jessica suddenly asked. Taeyeon found herself blinking as she hadn’t expected to have a question directed at her. She looked from the blonde who had asked her to Tiffany, who looked like she waited for her to answer, before she looked back at Jessica that was smiling at her.

“I am.” Taeyeon finally answered.

Jessica nodded her head, a smile on her face as she continued to look at Taeyeon that suddenly started to feel very uneasy under her gaze.

“Why though? I mean, music was only compulsory during our first year. Why take it as an extra class?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon let her gaze fall down to her plate of food, her teeth nibbling on her lower lip as she thought of what to answer. The answer was really simple. She could just say she likes music. But was the answer really that simple?

“Because she likes music.” Taeyeon heard Tiffany answer on her behalf. She looked up from her plate at the brunette next to her. Tiffany smiled at her, and she turned towards Jessica who had gotten her answer, but she could see the blonde wasn’t quite satisfied. Maybe it was because she hadn’t answered.

“I see. So what do you do in music class?” Jessica asked. Taeyeon realized she couldn’t get Tiffany to help her answer this question as Tiffany didn’t quite know what she did in music class either. She sighed and poked her food.

“I play guitar, and this other girl sings.” Taeyeon finally answered.

“Oh, what other girl?”

“Narsha. Never got her surname.”

“Wait, wait, wait, you’re in a duo with Narsha?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon looked up from her food at the blonde. She could see Jessica looked surprised, which made her feel confused. She shifted some in her seat before she answered, “Yeah.”

Jessica began smiling and Hyoyeon burst out laughing. It made Taeyeon look confused at the two blondes that now both were laughing together. Not understanding the fun she turned to Tiffany for help, but the girl looked just as confused as she felt.

The blonde duo eventually calmed down from their laughing fit and Jessica turned back to her, taking a deep breath and smiled. “Be careful.” Jessica suddenly warned.

The warning made Taeyeon raise an eyebrow. She glanced at Hyoyeon that looked like she agreed with her fellow blonde companion, but when Taeyeon looked back at Tiffany she saw she was confused. “Why?” Taeyeon finally asked and turned to Jessica.

“Trust us on this. Be careful around her.” Hyoyeon said.

“We’re just playing music together.” Taeyeon said not understanding what it was to be careful about.

“Yeah, you’re playing music. Narsha on the other hand…hmm…let’s just say it’s not only music.”

Taeyeon had no idea what they were talking about, but she felt she didn’t feel like bothering too much about it either. She glanced at Tiffany before she went back to focus on poking her food while the other three continued talking about something else.


---


Taeyeon and Tiffany had bid goodbye to Jessica and Hyoyeon who had to go to their next class after lunch. The two other girls slowly strolled through the hallway, one trying to keep herself awake while the other seemed to be in deep thought.

“You know they tried to warn you, right?” Tiffany suddenly said. Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the girl.

“Who?”

“Jessica and Hyoyeon. About Narsha.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and turned away from the girl. “Oh for God’s sake, stop talking about her.”

“They’re trying to be nice.”

“But I don’t care!” Taeyeon snapped and turned towards the other brunette. She noticed Tiffany looked shocked at her and she realized she might have gone a bit overboard. A sigh escaped her lips and she shook her head before turning away from the girl.

She felt a small headache pounding in her head. Another sigh escaped her lips and she was really considering skipping the rest of her classes to just go home to sleep instead. But a small part of her told her the girl walking next to her wouldn’t let her leave that easily.


---


A sigh escaped her lips and her fingers continued to strum the low and slow tune it had been playing on the guitar for the last past minutes. She stopped and looked up at the ceiling that was above the bed she was lying on. Another sigh escaped her lips and she began playing the same tune as before.

The other sound in the room, which was from fingers typing on a laptop, suddenly stopped. Taeyeon ignored it and continued with her own thing. She heard the girl sitting in the swivel chair in the room move in her seat, but she still paid no attention to what she was doing.

“You seem in a bad mood.” Sunny suddenly pointed out, and also said the first thing since Taeyeon had arrived at her place. Taeyeon didn’t say anything, just frowned and continued to play her moody tune that would have driven any positive person crazy by now.

“Just pointing it out.”  Sunny said.

Taeyeon stopped playing and let out a long sigh instead. She let her eyes go back to the ceiling, her fingers brushing lightly against the strings of the guitar.

“Tiffany is the cause of my bad mood.” Taeyeon mumbled.

“You and Tiffany always cause each other’s bad mood.” Sunny laughed.

“That’s how we work.” Taeyeon said with a sigh.

“Always had.” Sunny said and turned to Taeyeon with a smile. The latter continued to frown which made Sunny lose her smile and she turned back to the laptop screen instead.

“Wanna talk about it?”

“No.”

“Wanna kill some zombies?”

“No.”  

“Want help?”

“Can you fix a new brain for me?” Taeyeon asked irritated. She heard no response except from the typing from Sunny’s laptop. She figured the short haired blonde wouldn’t say anything else and she went back to play on the guitar, only to mess up five times in a row which resulted in her giving up.

She placed the guitar on the floor, sighing once and turned to lie on her side and let her eyes fall on the girl sitting by the desk in her room. Sunny’s eyes were focused on the laptop screen, her lower lip captured between her teeth like it usually was when the girl was concentrated on something.

Taeyeon felt she shouldn’t bother Sunny when she seemed to be busy. She sighed again and rolled onto her back, placing one arm above her eyes and relaxed. She let the typing from the laptop be her lullaby and soon Taeyeon had managed to drift off to sleep.